Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:19 PM

Default Options for 1911 with No Light Rail

So I had the opportunity to shoot a night time IDPA match (it was awesome by the way) and wanted to see about getting lights for more of my pistols.

I shot my P365XL with a TLR 6 but want to also see what my options are.

I have 2 non-rail 9mm 1911's (one Springfield and one Kimber). Here are the options I've looked at.

1. TLR-6 fits on a non-rail 1911. The challenge is then finding a holster which is challenging but not impossible.

2. Getting some type of attached rail that fits on the gun but does not require gunsmithing. I've seen a couple of mounts like one that Streamlight used to make.

3. I can get a mount permanently attached which require drilling and tapping the frame.

Anyone gone through that?

I would prefer to not have to pick up a new gun.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Life is short. Pick up a new one. You end up with a daytime 1911 and an evening one. Life is now OK.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Dirtlaw nailed it, life is short and covid is coming for you. You can't see it without a tac light, so best to own one of each
Old 12-14-2021, 1:22 PM

https://cylinder-slide.com/Category/1911_LightRail
I almost went with something like the referenced Cylinder & Slide kit referenced above. When I considered it, light railed 1911 frames were coming onto the market and I went with a few light railed frames instead. Until I looked, just now, I didn't realize these add-on accessory rails were still on the market. Perhaps there are other brands of rails still somewhere to be found.

One major problem for those in California is the few railed 1911 pistols on-roster are in .45ACP, should the OP insist on staying with 9mm. I'm going off of memory and I'll let the OP do the research and decide upon the best way to get to what he wants, or if going another route is better.
-converting a railed 1911 from .45ACP to 9mm;
-getting the C&S rail or similar installed, along with only certain weapon-lights (Surefire) which might work with the C&S rail;
-finding out what other rails are on the market, but will likely still need drilling and tapping;
-moving to the .45ACP caliber;
-going to some other handgun in 9mm;
-moving from Calif. or find the rare railed 9mm 1911 for sale Calif., pay & travel where-ever it is required to buy it face-to-face;
-some on-roster railed 1911s which come to mind are Springfield-Armory "MC Operator" or "Professional"; Kimber "Custom TLE II/R" in stainless or matte blue;
-finding a holster or holsters which will fit with the add-on rail and specific weapon-light.

Good luck and let us know what you (the OP) end up doing.
Old 12-14-2021, 2:38 PM

Look into one of these, got one for my BIL Beretta and so far seems to be working great.

https://www.recovertactical.com/prod...ry/1911-grips/

AND a holster to go with it

https://www.recovertactical.com/prod...11-right-left/

'I have so many good karma points I am approaching Saint Hood'

"They tell you of a laundry detergent that takes out bloodstains- I'm thinking that if you have clothes covered in bloodstains-maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem"

[SIGPIC]http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic27069_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 12-14-2021, 3:35 PM

Calguns members are hitting on all cylinders on this one. I concur with everyone:

1) Get a railed 1911, albeit in 45 ACP...which is not a good option in the Bidenflation/Covidian Times. I hate stockpiling 45 acp...I'd rather be shooting it.
2) Somehow try to buy a off roster 1911 in 9mm. When they do come around you will paying beaucoup bucks. Off roster 9mm 1911s were obscene before the pandemic...and now...ultra obscene. Get something really nice off roster, and you might be hitting double the price of the original gun lol.

3) Get an on roster 1911 and get it converted to 9mm. Nighthawk readily does this through their EGI program. It is an expensive route, but in the end you get a sweet gun. I did this. I took a huge hit to the wallet, but damn, the end result is off the chain!

4) Get one of the recover tactical products. I have a Phlster floodlight holster and it works with a couple of 1911s I have. This holster is different in that it secures the pistol by retention on your weapon light.

https://www.thearmorylife.com/recove...p-rail-system/

This will be your loaded target, add Phlster holster and your light and you are in business.

Last edited by Peahi2; 12-14-2021 at 3:48 PM..
Old 12-14-2021, 6:19 PM

I came in to post the Recover Tactical. Seems cheesy but it works surprisingly well.......
Old 12-14-2021, 7:56 PM

Well you install the recover tactical and when you install a light it also helps to clamp it together. Like i said,the beretta one on my bils is clamped solid and tight.

'I have so many good karma points I am approaching Saint Hood'

"They tell you of a laundry detergent that takes out bloodstains- I'm thinking that if you have clothes covered in bloodstains-maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem"

[SIGPIC]http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic27069_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 12-15-2021, 11:53 AM

Hey everyone,

Thank you all so much for the information. I actually ordered a rail and was going to ask a gunsmith to install it on my frame. I thought that approach worked better for me.

And then Brownells emailed me and said it was out of stock and cancelled my order.

I now am going to order the Recover rail system and see how that works.