Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-29-2021, 8:55 PM

Default Help me buy my first generator

Looking to buy my first generator. I'd like to get a dual fuel inverter genny for obvious reasons. Currently I'm looking at the DuroMax XP10000HX Dual Fuel Portable Generator. For some reason my wife thinks we need a tri fuel generator gas/propane/solar. I don't even know if they make those. Can't really find any. So if anyone has any info on those (good or bad) I'd like to hear it.

Other than that thoughts & suggestions welcome. What do you run and why?
Old 09-29-2021, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Champion duel fuel seemed to be the best bang for buck during my search for one. I ended up with the 3600/4000. My purpose is for the inevitable power outage to run the fridge, freezer, lights as well as charge the jackery for night use if it’s not sunny enough for the solar panels.

With the generators obviously comes the planning for fuel storage…
Old 09-29-2021, 9:32 PM

Depends on your needs. How long are the outages and what you gotta run?

Inverter is needed for electronics but non-inverter is much cheaper to purchase. Propane is great for convenience and you don’t have to worry about gas fouling but you will lose wattage output. Solar generators is a great if you don’t need to run big stuff like well or electric water heater.
Old 09-29-2021, 9:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Without knowing what you want to run, nobody can answer your question. Its like saying 'Help me buy a new vehicle." Do you need to carry 13 people, or tow a trailer or just a single person car to get to work?
Old 09-29-2021, 9:45 PM
Veteran Member

I think all these portable generators other than Honda are basically the same.
There's Honda, then there's everything else.

Decide what you really need to run with it, then choose the appropriate size. 10K watts is pretty big and will use a lot of fuel. Depending on your load, you're looking at burning through a bbq sized propane tank every 2-4 hours.

Nice thing about propane is that you can keep several tanks and the propane won't go bad.

I've used a 3500/4000 watt generator to power a couple refrigerators, some lights, and other small appliances. I plug a battery backup/ surge protector into one of my outlets to power anything that may be sensitive to unclean power.
Old 09-29-2021, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-forceJunkie View Post
Without knowing what you want to run, nobody can answer your question. Its like saying 'Help me buy a new vehicle." Do you need to carry 13 people, or tow a trailer or just a single person car to get to work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyhog View Post
I think all these portable generators other than Honda are basically the same.
There's Honda, then there's everything else.

Decide what you really need to run with it, then choose the appropriate size. 10K watts is pretty big and will use a lot of fuel. Depending on your load, you're looking at burning through a bbq sized propane tank every 2-4 hours.

Nice thing about propane is that you can keep several tanks and the propane won't go bad.

I've used a 3500/4000 watt generator to power a couple refrigerators, some lights, and other small appliances. I plug a battery backup/ surge protector into one of my outlets to power anything that may be sensitive to unclean power.
I've got two fridges and a freezer but I know its unrealistic to want to run all of them unless I get a really big genny. I'd like to run one fridge and one freezer if possible, maybe a light or two and charge phones.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Everybody hates math, but add up the amps each thing you want to run (its on the label, it may be in watts) and there you go. You can probably get by with something in the 3000 watt range. The next question is how loud can it be. Loud contractor type generators are cheaper. Inverter type quiet generators (Honda, yamaha and their china knockoffs) are quiet and can run electronics like computers and such but cost more.
The generator you posted in your first post is very overkill. You could run your whole house off that, but it will suck down fuel and is loud.

Propane: Unless your house runs on propane and you have a 250-500 gallon tank in your yard, propane is not very easy to store. You need alot of tanks, like dozens of the bbq size if you want to have a weeks supply of propane. When they are empty, you probaly cant fill them in an emergency/storm/power outage. Gasoline can be scavanged from vehicles much easier.

Gasoline: Are you prepared to store and rotate 20-50 gallons of fuel? A generator is pretty usless if your not planning on storing 3-7 days worth of fuel.

So, since you asked, the 3500 inverter from Harbor Freight gets really good reviews, is basically a Honda Copy, and under $900. Burns about 1/4 gallon an hour.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...tor-56720.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentonandSasquatchShow View Post
I've got two fridges and a freezer but I know its unrealistic to want to run all of them unless I get a really big genny. I'd like to run one fridge and one freezer if possible, maybe a light or two and charge phones.

Last edited by G-forceJunkie; 09-29-2021 at 10:55 PM..
Old 09-30-2021, 5:23 AM
Calguns Addict

This has been covered here so I'll suggest a quick CGN Gargle search. Linkage above.

example... http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...t-1145342.html

Try to fight the urge to buy ChiCom copied junk if possible. There's a reason flies are drawn to that stuff. Yamaha and Honda are known good portable genny builders IMO.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-30-2021, 12:05 PM

I run a honda but would look at the northern tool Honda powered Northstar units.

As others have said the propane option is not as practical as it sounds once you factor in consumption. I have over 1,000 gal of propane storage in three tanks and still choose to use unleaded in my generator.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Be careful of adding up consumption amps or watts only. Startup currents on refrigerators and freezers are very high for the compressor, typically double or more. I have a 3500W inverter generator that can run my RV fridge and AC but that one unit will not startup my chest freezer by itself. I have a 650W 12V inverter that by the run load watts should run my fridge but it will also not startup but trips the over current safety feature.

Running load
Startup load
Cord length (voltage drop decreases delivered power)

Consider running one fridge for 6 hours then the freezer for 3 hours then alternate them. Freezers carry thru outage very well with limited recovery.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old 10-02-2021, 10:06 AM

Appreciate all the feedback. Never knew there were so many considerations when buying one.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:12 AM

Hey and double check that generator you
Listed in first post. I didn’t see one that was inverter in that make/model line.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:14 AM

And if all you are doing is two fridges, a freezer and some lights you don’t need a 10k one. Are you on a well or city utilities?
Old 10-02-2021, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Hope this doesn't violate any terms of posting, but if there's any calgunners out there looking for an inverter generator, I have a champion #200992 4650/3650 watt for sale. Brand new in the box never opened

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...6#post26209026
Old 10-02-2021, 5:21 PM

My Honda 2200ei will run fridge, standup freezer, lights, tv/satellite and internet. Plenty to get though a power outage for me. I drain the carb after I use it and has been rock solid. Change the oil more than needed and have had zero problems.
Old 10-02-2021, 7:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Solar is not a fuel. Solar "generators" are nothing but a battery that eventually will recharge in the sun.

I got this Tri-Fuel gas/LP/Natural gas for the upcoming brown outs. https://www.costco.com/firman-7500w-...100648883.html It's big enough to keep the lights/fridge and microwave running.

Have a Champion dual fuel inverter on the travel trailer. https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/

Last edited by M1NM; 10-02-2021 at 7:16 PM..
Old 10-02-2021, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post

Try to fight the urge to buy ChiCom copied junk if possible. There's a reason flies are drawn to that stuff. Yamaha and Honda are known good portable genny builders IMO.
All the Chicom generators will break sometime and you won’t be able to repair.

Save your money and buy a Honda.
Old 10-02-2021, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
All the Chicom generators will break sometime and you won’t be able to repair.

Save your money and buy a Honda.
no way -- for a regular user (not some dude at a swap meet running it 80 hrs a week, every week), Honda, Yamaha, good knock-off Chicoms, are all the same. I've had two Hondas, 2000 and 1000, Yamaha 2400, Kipor 2000, and Champion 3700, and it's not even close - the Champion is the best bang for the buck and just as reliable as the Hondas. I actually had one Honda's electronics break. The inverter fried after I overloaded it. The Champion has never had any problems and it's been overloaded many times.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:40 PM
Calguns Addict

How much generator is needed to run a well pump?
Old 10-04-2021, 11:13 PM
Calguns Addict

How many amps/watts does your well pump draw? Add 50% to that and there is your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
How much generator is needed to run a well pump?
Old 10-05-2021, 8:29 PM

Off a 2000watt I have run large fridge, smaller fridge, TVs, lights, WiFi, fans
Off my 3500 I can power my whole house minus the ac
Have a 6500 watt I can run my whole house with ac
House is about 1400sq ft
If your interested i have a spare Honda 3000watt inverter generator, $1200, little banged up, but runs fine and is quite
Old 10-05-2021, 9:30 PM
Veteran Member

I have three, a champion dual fuel 3500, a 7500 dual fuel and a whole house Generac 12k propane. The propane is in a 320 gallon tank shared with my propane furnace.

Propane is easy, long storage times and stable.

Diesel would be my 2nd choice as a storage fuel but I do store 50 gallons of gasoline with stabil...
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 10-06-2021, 6:32 PM

Whatever you buy, buy as many backup replacement parts as you can afford; spark plug, fuel filter, brushes, carburetor, etc.

I run a duel fuel as a backup and a gasoline as a backup to the backup. I was surprised how far away generators sold out when the first wave of PSPS's hit a couple of years ago. Glad I already had all the equipment I needed.
Old 10-06-2021, 6:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
How many amps/watts does your well pump draw? Add 50% to that and there is your answer.
Also consider voltage. My well pump requires 240V, so one of those sexy little Honda inverter units won't do the job.

I have a Champion 3500/4000 unit that produces 240V and runs my entire home within reason. Think about priorities. For me, priorities are water, fridge and freezer plus a few lights. Anything else is 'convenience'.

Also keep in mind that most of the portable generators currently available in the US are all basically the same regardless of the name brand. They all use the same Chinese Honda clone engines and the same generator head, based on output. They are generally very reliable, given proper care.

I had a Honda EM5000S. When I really needed it, it wouldn't start. That is when I bought the Chinese-sourced Champion. I gave the Honda away, and I wouldn't buy another one.

Look at your needs and priorities and go from there.

Also consider that AB-1346 is on Newsom's desk awaiting his signature. It would ban all small gas engine-powered equipment, including generators. I may buy another generator to keep as a backup while I still can.
Old 10-06-2021, 6:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Honda produces approximately 46 thousand compact gasoline generators ranging in capacity from 0.9 –12 kVA in Japan, China, France, India, Thailand and US and supplies them to North America, Europe and various other countries around the world.

The only advantage to Honda is for replacement parts. Most of the ChiCom stuff from places like HF have no parts support.

The reason some of the ChiCom stuff is a good as Honda it's because it's made in the same line with the same tooling. 8 hours of making Honda then 16 hours of making them in a different color for the Chinese to sell.
Old 10-06-2021, 7:01 PM

For the gentleman that asked about wells. It depends on how large a pump was installed. I have a 9500 Gen running propane so max is 8250. It bogs it pretty hard at start. You would have to do the math but I don’t think a 2000 will come close.
Old 10-06-2021, 7:03 PM

I have 3 generators for different purposes.
1. A Champion 9000 watt dual fuel for my ranch house. It needs ro run a 240 volt well pump, house booster house, refrig, chest freezer, and other household loads excluding the 5 ton ac unit.I have a 500 gallon propane tank for the house. Propane is the best fuel for long term storage. I am wired to a manual transfer switch for ease of connection.
2. I have a Honda eu2200i for my Socal house. It will run all but ac. I lives in my trailer for camping use, although I have enough solar for most conditions. I am about to install the propane, natural gas kit so that it can be tri fuel.
3. I have a 20 year old Honda 1000i that was my camping generator for years. It has never let me down.

Regarding comments that any Honda clone is the same as a honda...look at the specs.
The Honda eu2200i has a well proven 121cc engine . Most of the clones. Including Yamaha ha 79cc engines. Displacement matters. Read am article by Hutch Mountain where they disassembled the 121 Honda and the 79cc clone. They state how the Honda interior components are far superior.
You Make Your Own Luck...Hondas are superior.
JMHO
Old 10-06-2021, 7:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterclick View Post
For the gentleman that asked about wells. It depends on how large a pump was installed. I have a 9500 Gen running propane so max is 8250. It bogs it pretty hard at start. You would have to do the math but I don’t think a 2000 will come close.
Again, consider the voltage requirements. If the pump requires 240V, a 120V-only generator is worse than useless.

My well pump is 1/2 HP on 240V. My Champion 3500 runs it, but there is a noticeable load on the generator when the pump starts.
Old 10-07-2021, 2:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleskinner View Post
I have 3 generators for different purposes.
1. A Champion 9000 watt dual fuel for my ranch house. It needs ro run a 240 volt well pump, house booster house, refrig, chest freezer, and other household loads excluding the 5 ton ac unit.I have a 500 gallon propane tank for the house. Propane is the best fuel for long term storage. I am wired to a manual transfer switch for ease of connection.
2. I have a Honda eu2200i for my Socal house. It will run all but ac. I lives in my trailer for camping use, although I have enough solar for most conditions. I am about to install the propane, natural gas kit so that it can be tri fuel.
3. I have a 20 year old Honda 1000i that was my camping generator for years. It has never let me down.

Regarding comments that any Honda clone is the same as a honda...look at the specs.
The Honda eu2200i has a well proven 121cc engine . Most of the clones. Including Yamaha ha 79cc engines. Displacement matters. Read am article by Hutch Mountain where they disassembled the 121 Honda and the 79cc clone. They state how the Honda interior components are far superior.
You Make Your Own Luck...Hondas are superior.
JMHO
Most of the clones we are talking about are 212cc or 301cc, i.e, '6 HP' or '8 HP'. In my experience, the parts are directly interchangeable with genuine Honda. You can talk about Honda superiority, but that didn't mean squat when my $$$$ Honda failed me at the worst possible time.

I'll save some $$$ and go with an 'inferior' product that so far, has started on the first pull every time. Going on 15 years now. I swore I was going to avoid generator threads. My bad.
Old 10-09-2021, 2:29 PM
Veteran Member

If you can afford it… Honda. Nothing beats ‘em. I have three. One for the house and two portable ones for the RV.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 10-11-2021, 8:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've been down this rabbit hole and this is what I found. You need to do an energy audit to determine the power requirements. I did this when building my solar back-up system.

You need to buy a Kill-a-Watt and run your devices real-time. The cheapest price I've seen is at Harbor Freight. With a 20% off coupon, it can't be beat. Trying to do an audit from the appliance labels doesn't work, especially for a refrigerator. You need to know start-up power and nominal running power. I ran my fridge for a week and checked whenever I heard the compressor kick in.

I have a 2000/3000 watt Duromax gas inverter generator and a 2000/3000 watt pure sine wave inverter hooked up to 480 amp hour/6 kilowatt hour LiFePO4 batteries charged by 720 watts of solar. The math says I can run all the essentials (No air conditioning.) in my house for several days if I have enough sun. If there is no sun, I can run the gas generator to either charge batteries or run appliances. Charging batteries consumes less fuel.

I'm into the solar about $4500 before the 26% federal tax credit I'll take for 2021. Batteries have a 10 year warranty. Solar panels 25 years. I don't expect either to last that long. Gas generator was $350.

I was totally reliant upon a gas generator for a while then realized fuel, either gas or propane was going to be a pain in the butt. During the heavy wind storms we had several years ago, a friend in Pasadena was without power for 16 days. That's a lot of fuel.

Heating and cooking with solar generated electricity is not efficient. Propane is much better for that. Wood is much better for that. Big plus for running solar: absolutely silent. You've got to look at the big picture.

Last edited by brassburnz; 10-11-2021 at 8:33 PM..
Old 10-12-2021, 7:20 AM
Calguns Addict

The governor just banned new gas engines 25 hp or smaller which includes generators.

If you really need one buy it soon because they will sell out quickly and with China not producing we won’t see them again for a while.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/newso...s-soon-as-2024
Old 10-12-2021, 3:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Are Costco generators any good?

https://www.costco.com/generators.html

If my family only needs to run small electric appliances/small kitchen cooking appliances (not refrigerator, not microwave), and see pap machines, would solar panels and portable batteries be enough for long term emergency preparedness?
Acts 2:38

Last edited by MasterrEugene; 10-12-2021 at 3:30 PM..
Old 10-12-2021, 3:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Champion propane or gas/propane. Have it for my well pump and freezers. I’ve never needed it. SMUD is reliable. Longest the power has been out was 4 hours.
Old 10-12-2021, 3:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Tri fuel. Wonder who makes these (firman)? Looks like Champion?

https://www.costco.com/firman-7500w-...100648883.html
Old 10-12-2021, 3:36 PM
Calguns Addict

I have several batteries for electronics and one that was made at batteries plus. Small battery with usb and 110 outlet. I keep it plugged in and have to replace the batteries every 5 years. It will open my gate, garage door opener and run electronics when the power is out. I have an antenna on my tv so I don’t have to power up the WiFi if the power goes out. Don’t forget about fuel (propane is so much easier and safer vs gas), a long, heavy duty extension cord and power strip with surge protector.
Old 10-12-2021, 3:37 PM
Veteran Member

Master Eugene
You obviously did absolutely zero research otherwise you would have never asked that question. Costco does not make generators they simply sell other manufacturers generators
Old 10-12-2021, 3:37 PM
Calguns Addict

If you have natural gas as a option get one that run on that as well as other fuels. +1 for honda...
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 10-12-2021, 4:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingransom View Post
Master Eugene
You obviously did absolutely zero research otherwise you would have never asked that question. Costco does not make generators they simply sell other manufacturers generators
I was not implying that Costco was the namebrand that made the generators

My dad has a bluetti portable battery unit. I also have a jackery solar panel 60watts, a rockpals solar unit 60W, a jackery portable power station 200 watts 110 volts. My dad may also has a 45 watt or so solar panel.

However, my family may be purchasing a gas generator, if needed. I saw gas generator/s at costco, and it might be a good idea to get a gas generator if we still can since Newsom did that small off road engines ban thing or whatever. Costco has a good return policy so if we can get a gas generator that someone can recommend from costco that might be ideal.

Do you have any suggestions Kingransom?

Last edited by MasterrEugene; 10-12-2021 at 4:19 PM..
Old 10-12-2021, 4:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
If you have natural gas as a option get one that run on that as well as other fuels. +1 for honda...
I don't know too much about gas generators, but aren't the honda's really expensive like over 1K-5k or so range? Do you own one?