Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions > CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) This forum is for storing and or easy accessing useful or important threads.

Old 07-02-2008, 8:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalgrunt View Post
I have and always will support the NRA. But have a different opionion on how things are being dealt with in California specificly, so I must be an anti....right? I will not continue to waste my time here. Thanks for the reception.....brother.
Is he really gone? Whew!

I have a feeling I will like the things that will happen in the next two years here in California. I also have a feeling Ed Worley and Chuck Michel are going to be the epicenter of it.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:30 AM

Default Smackdown needed

I need a little help here. Grunt's coming from a site where a guy I know and am rapidly learning to dislike even more is putting on a one-man dog and pony show picking a fight with the NRA. Dumbest divisive idea I've seen in a long time. I actually called NRA to apologize for this butthead today.

http://www.californiapredatorsclub.c...showtopic=8451

It would be greatly appreciated if a couple of CG/NRA pro staff would register and put this guy in his place. I'm already banned under one handle at CPC for trying to start a hunting club. I can register under a a nom de guerre and get banned again, but it would much more satisfying if I weren't an army of one this time and had some back up. Please put him in his proper place. You will be banned too, but blessed in handgun heaven. So when was the last time you were thrown off a pro-gun website for being pro-NRA? Only at CPC.

Last edited by Kestryll; 07-03-2008 at 11:52 AM..
Old 07-03-2008, 11:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahuatl View Post
You will be banned too. So when was
the last time you were thrown off a pro-gun website for being
pro-NRA? Only at CPC.
Yes. It appears the CPC website leadership and/or or its frequent posters may be tied in with AHSA (American Hunters & Shooters Assoc'n) the sham organization designed to appeal to the "2nd Am. is about a right to hunt" crowd.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by bwiese; 07-03-2008 at 11:18 AM..
Old 07-03-2008, 12:11 PM

Bill. What tacticalgrunt doesn't understand (or understands all too well if he's not really pro-gun) is that advertising on TV only results in a minimal return, and costs a great deal of money. Or perhaps grunt really wants the progun cause so stretched thin that fighting legislation can't be done. I'm sure Irwin Nowick, as well as other Sacramento politico would be giddy at that prospect. LA and SF politicians dictate legislation in CA.

If the funding were unlimited, sure the NRA could run ads like the following.

And then we could all have a group hug. As much as I would like to see such an ad in CA, it's really a waste of resources. Higher priority is to funnel the money where it will actually do some good (attorney fees, blocking legislation, and now playing offense). I'd say the NRA is putting the available funds to good use. Whatcha say to that grunt?

Which brings up another point. Wayne is the guy who makes those decisions. Top level executives get paid top dollar because they make, or break a company. If one increases a companies worth by billions, compensating them for those decisions is more than justified.

Anthonysmanifesto: Great write up.

Last edited by AngelDecoys; 07-03-2008 at 4:28 PM.. Reason: Additional/clarification
Old 07-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
I need a little help here. Grunt's coming from a site where a guy I know and am rapidly learning to dislike even more is putting on a one-man dog and pony show picking a fight with the NRA. Dumbest divisive idea I've seen in a long time. I actually called NRA to apologize for this butthead today.

http://www.californiapredatorsclub.c...showtopic=8451

It would be greatly appreciated if a couple of CG/NRA pro staff would register and put this guy in his place. I'm already banned under one handle at CPC for trying to start a hunting club. I can register under a a nom de guerre and get banned again, but it would much more satisfying if I weren't an army of one this time and had some back up. Please put him in his proper place. You will be banned too, but blessed in handgun heaven. So when was the last time you were thrown off a pro-gun website for being pro-NRA? Only at CPC.

Okay, first off the clever little nicknames are a no-go here.

Second, registering here at this forum, just to pick a fight or cause trouble WILL get you banned, why would you suppose it would be any different elsewhere?
BTW, multiple registrations here after being banned are not tolerated so I wouldn't be surprised to find out they didn't like it either.

Lastly we DO NOT advocate causing problems on other forums, we don't like it or tolerate it when others do it to us and we won't do it to them. It is not anyone's job to put anyone in their 'proper place', not to mention the question of who chooses what is someone's 'proper place'...

I very much disagree with their opinion and stance on the NRA and what it has done here in Cali, we've seen first hand the efforts and commitment by the NRA here in Cali.
However it is their forum, their rules and their place to voice an opinion.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 07-03-2008, 1:31 PM

Sorry about the nom de guerre, a remainder from other forum protocol. I'm on the phone with Paul Payne who will verify my bone fides.

Gary C
Nahuatl.coyotl@gmail.com

Any of you who need the full info - contact me by PM - I'm happy to talk to anyone. I edited out my full contact info before the H$US spams me to dirt.

Now back to being Nahuatl, the Aztec coyote god, with only one log in name in agreement with the terms of service, with a thousand or two internet posts, and sometimes known as Gary in CA.

Last edited by Nahuatl; 07-04-2008 at 1:57 PM..
Old 07-03-2008, 2:03 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Sorry about the nom de guerre, a remainder from other forum protocol. I'm on the phone with Paul Payne who will verify my bone fides.

Now back to being Nahuatl, the Aztec coyote god, with only one log in name in agreement with the terms of service, with a thousand or two internet posts, and sometimes known as Gary in CA.

I wasn't referring to your screen name, I meant the negative play on words with tacticalgrunt's screen name that has been deleted from your post.

Screen names are the norm here, I really don't go be Kestryll all the time. (Just when I'm wearing the cape and cowl...)

My main concern is that we do not engage in cross forum bickering, 'forum wars' waste time, energy and cause all kinds of rifts that take a long time to repair. We need to be focusing on how we can work toygether to make a larger and stronger front not trying to tear each other down.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.

Last edited by Kestryll; 07-06-2008 at 12:07 AM..
Old 07-03-2008, 3:19 PM

Quote:

FYI, I just got off of the phone with Gary (aka Nahuatl) and he seems to be a good guy. He is very passionate about hunting and firearms ownership and has stated that he wanted to make sure that most NRA members didn't think that all predator hunters were being represented by a small faction of complainers. Note: These are MY words and understanding (based upon our conversation), not a direct quote from Gary.

It was nice to answer questions and discuss issues, without rolling around in the mud.

I continue to look forward to working with hunters, shooters, gun owners, and anyone else who supports the INDIVIDUAL right to keep and bear arms guaranteed by the Second Amendment.

Semper Fi and Happy Independence Day!

Paul

H. Paul Payne
NRA Liaison to the Executive Vice President
NRA Members' Councils Program Administrator
(951) 683-4NRA Office nrausmc@earthlink.net Email
http://www.calnra.com California NRA Web Site ----- CLICK HERE to
Join NRA's California Team of Volunteers

Proud to be an NRA Benefactor Member

Last edited by Kestryll; 07-06-2008 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: spelling, of course
Old 07-03-2008, 9:11 PM
Vendor/Retailer

So uhhmmm are we all done? Trolls will be around till the end of time...

Let's concentrate here... We are about to have the most amazing Independence Day - of our lives.

Let's enjoy the moment.

And a HUGE thank you - to all of you who made this 4th of July; the best one ever!

-M3
Old 07-03-2008, 9:43 PM

Just a quick note to say I'm super excited about being on the offense in California for the first time in a long time (IMHO). Thanks to everyone working hard to gain further recognition of our rights in California, and a wonderful Independence Day to all!
Old 07-03-2008, 11:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

All,

Now that we're back on topic - I think everyone here is going to be awestruck with what sorts of changes we're going to be able to complete in the short, medium and long term.

Stephen Halbrook put it best at an event on Wednesday night. Things are moving so quickly that it feels like its been three weeks since last Thursday's Heller decision.

We're going to keep everyone as up to date as we can but know that right now things are moving so fast its hard to keep anyone current on all the moving parts.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 07-05-2008, 5:20 AM

Default NRA Coaltition may not control litigation on these issues

I appreciate the information about the coalition plans but i think it is important to point out that these issues will be raised by others if the Coalition does not act.

Private defense lawyers, public defenders and appellate lawyers appointed by the Courts of Appeal to defend convicted felons will raise the same issues when defending people accused or convicted of violating gun laws. If they don't, they are incompetent.

As a defense and former appointed appellate lawyer, I would raise Heller in every case involving a gun law. I think other defense lawyers will do the same. If you were charged (or convicted) under one of the restrictive California laws, wouldn't you want your lawyer to argue Heller?

If the Coalition doesn't move quickly, these issues will be before the courts soon anyway.

And thanks to the Coalition lawyers who donate time and effort. And to the non-lawyers, too.
Old 07-05-2008, 5:39 AM

Jesus, my wife's usual online handle on other fora is Miss Ann Thrope, she's a laywer.

Honey, is that you?

Your point is most well made, mind. It is a valid concern.

NTM
Old 07-05-2008, 7:08 AM

All the more reason for the NRA, and other like minded groups to push forward 'smart cases' quickly setting precedent. Let the others get pushed aside by our wake.

Last edited by AngelDecoys; 07-05-2008 at 8:11 AM..
Old 07-05-2008, 7:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope2 View Post
I appreciate the information about the coalition plans but i think it is important to point out that these issues will be raised by others if the Coalition does not act.

Private defense lawyers, public defenders and appellate lawyers appointed by the Courts of Appeal to defend convicted felons will raise the same issues when defending people accused or convicted of violating gun laws. If they don't, they are incompetent.
Yes, and what is NOT wanted is more Gary Gorskys (of near-disaster Silviera fame). So part of the job will also be keeping radar for cases in which these issues might get raised (perhaps inappropriately or as a "shot in the dark") and talk/support such attorneys where necessary so they don't go "off the rails".

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Things are moving so quickly that it feels like its been three weeks since last Thursday's Heller decision.
Sounds like the tide has changed and momentum is gathering. How is the foundation doing from a monetary aspect?
Old 07-05-2008, 12:30 PM

Default Ms. Anne Thrope, Esq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Moran View Post
Jesus, my wife's usual online handle on other fora is Miss Ann Thrope, she's a laywer.

Honey, is that you?

Your point is most well made, mind. It is a valid concern.

NTM
I'm male but Ms. Ann Thrope was also the pen name of Christopher Manes in the old Earth First! Journal. BTW, I have defended and been called a radical environmentalist. I shoot over a thousand rounds a month, too. Shooters come in all political colors. I have read that 30 percent of Democratic homes own one or more guns compared to 40 percent of Republican homes. Sometimes, some shooters are too quick to attack liberals and environmentalists.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:37 PM

Default Intervene and amicus briefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Yes, and what is NOT wanted is more Gary Gorskys (of near-disaster Silviera fame). So part of the job will also be keeping radar for cases in which these issues might get raised (perhaps inappropriately or as a "shot in the dark") and talk/support such attorneys where necessary so they don't go "off the rails".
In all cases, the Coalition lawyers can intervene, submit amicus briefs and argue, too. If resources are thin, they can set up a brief bank providing authority for other lawyers to use in these cases.

It is the nature of appellate law to take every shot, no matter if you have only a small chance of prevailing. I think it a safe bet that Heller will appear in every appellate brief involving a restrictive gun law.

But I like the idea of the Coalition filing first, setting precedents and creating a wake for all shooting advocates to ride.

Good luck to any and all who defend the Second Amendment.
Old 07-07-2008, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope2 View Post
I'm male but Ms. Ann Thrope was also the pen name of Christopher Manes in the old Earth First! Journal. BTW, I have defended and been called a radical environmentalist. I shoot over a thousand rounds a month, too. Shooters come in all political colors. I have read that 30 percent of Democratic homes own one or more guns compared to 40 percent of Republican homes. Sometimes, some shooters are too quick to attack liberals and environmentalists.
That's a very interesting statistic and I must admit that I am one of those quick to attack liberals and environmentalist. How is it, then that if 70%, according to the statistics, own one or more guns in the home, are we even fighting this battle? Why does the NRA coalition even NEED a plan in California where over 60% of our elected leadership is Democrat. I am interested and open to honest debate, but I believe the difference between Republican gun owners and Democrat gun owners is that Republicans believe in equal gun rights for all and Democrats (in general) believe in gun right for those who know best... or think they know best.... perhaps this would be better as another thread. I'm serious about hearing your opinion. I don't get a chance to talk to many liberals or environmentalist who are interested in firearms....
Old 07-09-2008, 11:17 AM

Default Re: NRA Coalition's California Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMichel View Post
A renewed challenge to all or part of the semi-auto ban is also in the works. CRPA has already has significant funding set aside for this effort. TMLLP is coordinating with Calguns on a semi-auto licensing suit, which may include other elements.
Thumbs up Chuck! The semi-auto rifle ban is something that I really have my cross-hairs on since I am a victim of it having had two of my rifles stolen from me from the local anti-gun sheriffs dept. Anyway I can help in particularly zeroing in on taking that ban out you can count me in.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satex View Post
Sounds like the tide has changed and momentum is gathering. How is the foundation doing from a monetary aspect?
We're doing great, and set a record over $10,000 generated in ONE NIGHT, but we need much more to really get things going.

As treasurer one of my projects is to generate a true war chest of funds, to the level where we can literally go head to head with at least state level governmental agencies, with a bigger supply chain than they are able to muster.

Make no mistake, The Calguns Foundation is but one of many hammers pounding on the remainints of the wall of unjust gun laws. However, we're this cool new hammer, with More Power(TM).

Your donations to CGF go more directly to front line litigation than with any other organization I am aware of.

I do encourage you to donate to both NRA and CGF. NRA though a nationwide organization does spend more in California than all other states *combined*.

Postings are my own, and are not formal positions of any other entity, or legal advice.