Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-30-2014, 4:07 PM

Yeah we dont expect it to spread. .......it only made it half way around the world
Old 09-30-2014, 4:08 PM

Just as a reminder (what to look for in a patient with possible ebola)

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/symptoms/

Symptoms of Ebola include

Fever (greater than 38.6°C or 101.5°F)
Severe headache
Muscle pain
Weakness
Diarrhea
Vomiting
Abdominal (stomach) pain
Unexplained hemorrhage (bleeding or bruising)

I think these symptoms will quite possibly be ignored by the average "joe" Many will assume he/she is under the weather and report to work as usual.

How many of you go to work when you are sick?

Last edited by kbenson; 09-30-2014 at 4:14 PM..
Old 09-30-2014, 4:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Guess i need to add a Tyvek suit and more gloves to the BOB.
Old 09-30-2014, 5:29 PM

Quote:
our economy will be collapsed to a crawl.
Bill Gates on BBC just said the same thing..
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 09-30-2014, 6:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisagoodname View Post
Guess i need to add a Tyvek suit and more gloves to the BOB.
I still have to pull the trigger on those babies. Just came from Harbor Freight, had a nice close out on n95 masks (3) for $2, picked up another 24. 6 more goggles, 2 more boxes of gloves and 2 of these...good deal for $10. Figured I put a tyvek underneath and spray my kester down with bleach and hope to get a couple uses out of the Tyvek.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...rge-94874.html

I'm going to have to work outside at shopping centers at least for a while till this thing takes hold and everything shuts down, thus yellow might not look too freaky...heh heh
Old 09-30-2014, 6:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel-tec-innovations View Post

If a Ebola outbreak occurred in the USA or other medically advanced countries, it will be controlled, contained and isolated quickly.
I agree unless we are overloaded with new cases. Like for example, thousands of illegals flooding across the border each day, from unnamed unsanitary counties south of here. With track record of bringing in infectious diseases.

Old 09-30-2014, 7:01 PM
Banned

Controlled as in you're taking a leak at Micky D's and the guy walking out in front of you cough's in his hand just before he turns the knob to go out, sure you just washed your hands but then grabbed the door handle and ate a Double Cheese Ebola Burger Bun.
Old 09-30-2014, 7:11 PM

Apparently CDC has issued a memo to funeral homes acros the nation....

http://www.cbs46.com/story/26657838/...-funeral-homes

"cbs asked if we should be alarmed"

OH NO, of course not.. nothing to worry about... Your uber confident government is ON this, dont worry. No need to implement travel restrictions...

"dont embalm or do any autopsies" though..
oh and make sure you "double body bag the corpses"

Last edited by Falstaff; 09-30-2014 at 7:14 PM..
Old 09-30-2014, 7:15 PM
Veteran Member

I found some decent bags at Target to put a kit together for my wife and I. It doesn't need to be complicated. But regardless I'm going to keep it around for the next few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 09-30-2014, 8:05 PM

For prepping on a budget get creative
i always buy a gallon of clean water (screw on cap) to roll around with and after I finish it i fill them with tap and throw it in the garage got about 60 of them, in a pinch a few drops of bleach per gallon will make them potable quickly, ive read to rotate water every 6 months. No big deal water the garden.

For food beans (cause imma beeeeaner) seriously a 50 lb sack seperated into ziplocks i use silica packs that i get from vitamin bottles or shoe boxes, throw a couple into each bag, beans stored right can keep over 10 years....the same for rice but keeps about 5 years
Canned food (for survival) i get that from the 99cents store. I donate the food to the food bank if it gets close to expiration date.
Cleaning supplies- also the 99, bleach & ammonia (dont mix ever!!!!!- emits poisonous gas that kills quickly in confined areas) hand soaps, sanitizer, empty spray bottles
Never go into harbor freight without getting a free tarp (great for everything.
If you have a backyard plant fruit trees
Plant a garden
Learn to preserve both (dehydrate and can)
Fat chance finding cheap medical supplies but you'll need that also. Bandages, iodine etc.

Most people have enough regular food on hand to last them about 2 weeks tops. Water for even less time. A 3 month supply of everything should be standard 6 months ideal. Going after 6 months is a whole different ball game.

Protect yours.
Old 09-30-2014, 8:51 PM

I'm off to Houston for week on Sunday...
Old 09-30-2014, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshnasi View Post
I found some decent bags at Target to put a kit together for my wife and I. It doesn't need to be complicated. But regardless I'm going to keep it around for the next few weeks.

No TP for the ebola dumps?
Old 10-01-2014, 8:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshnasi View Post

I think this is a good start, but imo only good for one outing. The bag can get contaminated, the bottom of your shoes, say someone spits on sidewalk and you step in it then bring it home. The virus can live on stuff for a while.

What will those chems do to your goggles once they are sprayed with the disinfectant? Does it blur the lens?

Is the bag water tight? Ebola could creep inside to the gloves, no?

The punchline is if you come into contact with Ebola, you're screwed unless you were suited up and disposed of everything after or decontaminated it. This thing is a killer and you probably won't get a second chance. Thus quarantines and lock downs of areas, letting the people inside roll the 50/50 dice or worse.
Old 10-01-2014, 9:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Don't go out and start spending hundreds of dollars on anti virus crap. Common household bleach will kill 99% of all viruses. They don't say it will kill 100% because of Murphy's Law.

Bleach concentration is different with different brands. I know Chlorox is 5.25% i think. Plus you further dilute the concentration in a spray bottle for distribution.

Further Reading:
http://www.nairaland.com/1882643/how...-virus-objects

Last edited by Jongage; 10-01-2014 at 9:19 AM.. Reason: changed values
Old 10-01-2014, 9:26 AM

A good article on Ebola need to know - http://www.prevention.com/health/hea...toms-and-risks

Summary:
  • Spread by bodily fluid. Avoid contact with infected people. Some, but not all, examples include sneezing, saliva, bleeding, vomit, breast milk, semen, vaginal secretions, or lots of sweat can transmit the virus
  • From initial infection, it can take 2 to 21 days to show symptoms
  • It is generally believed that infected people are contagious only when they start show symptoms
  • Once symptomatic, Ebola takes a couple of weeks to runs it course
  • Ebola can still be detectable in semen 61 days after onset of symptoms even though the victim has recovered from the virus. Use of a condom is highly recommended or better yet, abstinence
  • About 40% of those infected survive but the truth is there are no good numbers as the mortality rate varies due to many factors to include medical systems available to the patient
Old 10-01-2014, 9:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongage View Post
Don't go out and start spending hundreds of dollars on anti virus crap. Common household bleach will kill 99% of all viruses. They don't say it will kill 100% because of Murphy's Law.

Bleach concentration is different with different brands. I know Chlorox is 5.25% i think. Plus you further dilute the concentration in a spray bottle for distribution.

Further Reading:
If you watch the Doctors who are commenting on this, we all have open spots on our hands. Am I supposed to drink the solution once I touch an infected knob or just spray anything and everything in front of me as I walk?

/Sarc on drinking bleach, it will kill you and will have no effect if you come down with the virus.
Old 10-01-2014, 9:30 AM

An article on how to reduce risk of infection if caring for an infected person in your house - http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola..._home_care.pdf
Old 10-01-2014, 9:38 AM

wash your hands, don't touch your face during the day, avoid public transportation, airlines and public restrooms.
Old 10-01-2014, 9:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
A good article on Ebola need to know - http://www.prevention.com/health/hea...toms-and-risks

Summary:
  • Spread by bodily fluid. Avoid contact with infected people. Some, but not all, examples include sneezing, saliva, bleeding, vomit, breast milk, semen, vaginal secretions, or lots of sweat can transmit the virus
  • It is generally believed that infected people are contagious only when they start show symptoms
  • Ebola can still be detectable in semen 61 days after onset of symptoms even though the victim has recovered from the virus. Use of a condom is highly recommended or better yet, abstinence
  • About 40% of those infected survive but the truth is there are no good numbers as the mortality rate varies due to many factors to include medical systems available to the patient
Hasn't the CDC now said "close contact" ?

page 3 has a definition of such a word.

http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/outbrea...chapter-11.pdf

This thing is dangerous.......A whole fricken school is considered close contact !
Old 10-01-2014, 9:52 AM

Now possibly spread to school aged children. Gov Perry is making a announcement.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/us-ebol...ry?id=25885934
Old 10-01-2014, 10:04 AM

This could really get out of hand.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Get ready to hunker down in case they call a quarantine/lockdown
Have a couple weeks food handy to just stay home. If you don't go out you can't get exposed.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixoclockhold View Post
I think this is a good start, but imo only good for one outing. The bag can get contaminated, the bottom of your shoes, say someone spits on sidewalk and you step in it then bring it home. The virus can live on stuff for a while.
Yeah, that is kind of the point. Its not a bag to get you through day-to-day life when a ebola outbreak. Nor should anyone expect to continue normal things during an outbreak. Once home, use your preps and stay away from people.

Quote:
What will those chems do to your goggles once they are sprayed with the disinfectant? Does it blur the lens?
1/100 bleach to water kills ebola.

1:100 bleach solution9 is used to disinfect:
— Surfaces
— Medical equipment
— Patient bedding
— Reusable protective clothing before it is laundered.
It is also recommended for:
— Rinsing gloves between contact with each patient
— Rinsing gloves, apron, and boots before leaving the patient’s room
— Disinfecting contaminated waste for disposal.

Quote:
Is the bag water tight? Ebola could creep inside to the gloves, no?
Don't put your bad in human fluids... Or put everything in the bag in ziploc, or use the 1/100 bleach and water.

Quote:
The punchline is if you come into contact with Ebola, you're screwed unless you were suited up and disposed of everything after or decontaminated it. This thing is a killer and you probably won't get a second chance. Thus quarantines and lock downs of areas, letting the people inside roll the 50/50 dice or worse.
If you want to live cautiously under the pretense that if ebola touches you, you are screwed, that is probably a prudent way to live. However, that is not totally scientifically accurate.

Quote:
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 10-01-2014, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Now possibly spread to school aged children. Gov Perry is making a announcement.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/us-ebol...ry?id=25885934
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
Get ready to hunker down in case they call a quarantine/lockdown
Have a couple weeks food handy to just stay home. If you don't go out you can't get exposed.
If any further reports of infected in that area of Dallas show up I expect to hear about forced lock-downs.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongage View Post

Further Reading:
I wonder if germicidal UV lights would be useful for shoes etc. I know they are dangerous for your eyes, but maybe you could make a light tight box, UV lights on all the sides. Put your shoes and goggles in, before you enter your house.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post

Summary:
Ok noted, i'll try change behavior, to avoid African semen.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:57 AM

So it appears this fellow from Liberia, has relatives in the USA. Prob knew he was infected and decided now was the time to seek treatment here (since the survival rate appears to be better)
He placed a great risk on his fellow passengers, everyone he came in contact with during/after flight.

This person is one selfish dbag
Old 10-01-2014, 1:00 PM

Sad thing is I work in a lab and go to a few hospitals for lab specimen pick ups so I hope this thing doesn't make its way to Cali. I will definitely be more aware and cautious around the labs. I'd say my immune system is probably alittle stronger then most having to be around sick patients on a daily basis but if this thing does spread I'll definitely be going across the street to costco for supplies. Maybe even go tonight for a bunch of water and basic stuff for a few months of supplies even thought I have enough to last me alittle while but better safe then sorry.
Old 10-01-2014, 1:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenson View Post
So it appears this fellow from Liberia, has relatives in the USA. Prob knew he was infected and decided now was the time to seek treatment here (since the survival rate appears to be better)
He placed a great risk on his fellow passengers, everyone he came in contact with during/after flight.

This is my thinking as well. He risked the health of his family.

I seriously doubt you come into contact with an ebola patient during an outbreak is going on don't know you have POSSIBLY been exposed.

If he honestly didn't believe he had been exposed, he wouldn't have gone to the hospital for treatment for the flu (which is what early symptoms of ebola tend to look/feel like).

What I would be VERY interested to know is when he purchased his plane ticket. If it was within a week of his flight, then you know for sure he was coming here for treatment.
If it was purchased 1-2 months ago as most tickets get purchased, then it's just carelessness on his part after having been exposed.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 10-01-2014, 2:25 PM
In Memoriam

He was exposed to the virus from helping his neighbor carry the neighbor's daughter to the hospital or ambulance, she died the next day, neighbor's son who helped carry his sister also died with in a few days.
Then he heads for the good old USA for a family visit!
Should be taken out and shot and the body burned.
Old 10-01-2014, 2:29 PM
Veteran Member

more info:

Quote:
The Times also revealed that Mr Duncan may have contracted Ebola while helping carry his landlord's seriously ill, pregnant daughter to hospital.

The woman, named by The Times as 19-year-old Marthalene Williams was taken to a hospital on September 15, but turned away because there was no room to treat her. She died the following day.

The landlord's son and three neighbors who came in contact with the woman also died soon afterwards.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3Ew1xHiFB
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 10-01-2014, 3:04 PM
In Memoriam

The Daily Mail seems to have some of the best reporting of the story I have read. Where the heck is our MSM?
Old 10-01-2014, 4:26 PM

They are now monitoring a second infected person in Dallas.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ient/16525649/

Stay safe.
Old 10-01-2014, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenson View Post

Yup, I agree. Seems like there should be something they can arrest him for, for purposely spreading a communicable disease.
Old 10-01-2014, 7:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
Yup, I agree. Seems like there should be something they can arrest him for, for purposely spreading a communicable disease.
What about all the disease ridden illegal aliens?
Old 10-01-2014, 9:12 PM
In Memoriam

Possible new case of Ebola in Hawaii!!

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...for_Ebola.html

Dallas Ebola patient flew from Africa to Brussels, then to Dulles Airport in Northern Va, then to Dallas. 3 flights, how many exposed?
Patient was throwing up on way to ambulance, CDC had not visited his home, who cleaned up his body fluids? How many more exposed? Looking grim on trying to contain this.

Last edited by 3GunFunShooter; 10-01-2014 at 9:17 PM..
Old 10-02-2014, 4:49 AM
Veteran Member

Default The five biggest lies about Ebola being pushed by government and mass media

http://www.naturalnews.com/047089_Eb...ormation.html#

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 10-02-2014, 5:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem1950 View Post
I think the punch line here is that main stream is not going to give us the facts until it too late.

Ok, vitamin D

Here is one that claims Vitamin C

http://www.energygrid.com/health/201...vingebola.html

I bet it is important regardless that your body is in good shape if you come down with Ebola. Supplements may help? I take D and a one a day, maybe some extra C is in order for awhile?

This whole thing is not adding up, from the airlines not being notified to ER room turning away an Ebola carrier.

Protect yourself, no one else will, that's for sure !
Old 10-02-2014, 7:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GunFunShooter View Post
Possible new case of Ebola in Hawaii!!

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...for_Ebola.html

Dallas Ebola patient flew from Africa to Brussels, then to Dulles Airport in Northern Va, then to Dallas. 3 flights, how many exposed?
Patient was throwing up on way to ambulance, CDC had not visited his home, who cleaned up his body fluids? How many more exposed? Looking grim on trying to contain this.
Saw program a few weeks ago saying that hospitals have to put disinfectants in waste water, before they flush to water treatment plant.

This guy has sending ebola waste down the sewer pipes for days before going to the hospital.
Old 10-02-2014, 7:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem1950 View Post
The government and media always lie, that is a known fact. The sad parts are the gullible that don't know or want to.