Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 12-30-2013, 8:25 PM

since you make flavored moonshine as well check out this site:
http://www.specialtybottle.com/swingtopbottlesmi.aspx
if you can make one larger purchase the shipping might offset enough to be worthwhile (i always factor in time, energy, and gasoline too).
Old 12-30-2013, 9:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickshooter View Post
since you make flavored moonshine as well check out this site:
http://www.specialtybottle.com/swingtopbottlesmi.aspx
if you can make one larger purchase the shipping might offset enough to be worthwhile (i always factor in time, energy, and gasoline too).
Hey thanks for that! Yeah, come May or so I might be placing an order. Damn. I just bought about 20 plastic bottles for my powder coating colors too... Could shoulda woulda waited had I known... :\

Hey have you ever experimented with the flavors in the alcohol?

Like, I am thinking now that I have done this, what would the zest from my oranges, pink lemonade lemons, kishu mini mandarins, yukon golds, and leaves from my pineapple sage and lemon verbena along with maybe a leave or two of peppermint, taste like if I put them all jammed up in a bottle (yet another bottle from wallyworld) and made them sit for a few months and then combined with simple syrup...

Is it worth it I wonder? Should I bother with white dog or stick to diesel/ec190/spirytus?

Menthol would be good to add too, a nice chilling/warming alcohol that brings back memories of trix/fruit loops and having a pineapple-citrus taste...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 12-31-2013, 8:42 PM

lol, you made my taste buds cringe! one beauty of food and drink is that it is highly adaptable to the individual. if it sounds good to you - Go for it!
Old 12-31-2013, 9:16 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
Where did you get your swing top bottles from and for how much? I think I have seen them on Amazon and fleabay for about $6-$10 each... :\
Buy Grolsch beer; pretty good beer, and bottles left over!

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-31-2013, 9:33 PM
Veteran Member

Default Bacon Nutella Creme Brulee

Ingredients
18 egg yolks
1.5 cup superfine white sugar plus 6 tablespoons
2 quart heavy cream
2 vanilla bean
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Nutella
Bacon

Directions
Cook bacon according to package instructions. Doesn't have to be fancy bacon. I used the Kirkland brand and it came out good. I prefer cooking them a bit longer so when cool they are nice an super crunchy and break up easily.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, cream together egg yolks and sugar with a whisk until the mixture is pale yellow and thick.

Pour cream into a medium saucepan over low heat. Using a paring knife, split the vanilla bean down the middle, scrape out the seeds and add them to saucepan, add the vanilla extract also. Bring cream to a brief simmer, do not boil or it will overflow. Remove from heat and temper the yolks by gradually whisking the hot vanilla cream into yolk and sugar mixture. Do not add hot cream too quickly or the eggs will cook.

Place a small scoop of Nutella in the aluminium cup and spread evenly as best as possible and add some crumbled bacon. Divide custard into 3.25-ounce aluminium cups, about 3/4 full. Place in a roasting pan and fill pan with enough water to come halfway up the sides of the aluminium cups. Bake until barely set around the edges, about 40 minutes. You may want to cover loosely with foil to prevent browning. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill for 2 hours. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top of each chilled custard. Hold a kitchen torch 2 inches above surface to brown the sugar and form a crust. Serve at once.

For non bacon lovers cut in half 2 raspberries or blackberries an add to the top before serving. The little bit of tartness from the berries will help cut the sweetness of the Nutella and give it a great balance.

Yield: Approx 20-25 cups

Pic was taken before it completely cooled so there's no sugar "crust" on it yet.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University
Old 01-06-2014, 10:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
lol, you made my taste buds cringe! one beauty of food and drink is that it is highly adaptable to the individual. if it sounds good to you - Go for it!
Out of curiosity, You said to let the zest steep for about 9 days or so (I forgot the number, but it was about a week or so and on the previous page of posts...) So some of the recipes that I have seen call for the steeping to go on for no less than 45 days I think.

Have you steeped for that long in the past? It makes sense to steep until the pieces are white, but yeah anyways, just curious...

I think we about have thie wrapped up. I started steeping on the 31st of December and was going to let it go on till about mid february before I took it out and strained it.

Also, your mason jar, about how many lemons did you zest and what size mason jar is specified in the recipe? I zested about 18 or 19 lemons and I think I got enough zest to prolly fill about 1/3 or 1/4 of a QT mason jar. I was thinking, WORST case, the zest with the ec190 will make it stronger, but I can always add more SS to it to take a bit of the bite out. Unless I am making an ultra concentrated lemon alcohol that will need 5:1 ratio of SS (I got no problems with that). Anyways though, just curious about that. I am gonna go out to bevmo and winco for some ginger and white dog and a few other things.

You also mention creamy limoncello, what is the difference? I have not seen any recipes that involve milk. Right now mine looks like a bottle of piss after being dehydrated. So, I am hoping it is on its way to tasting good.

Old 01-06-2014, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, You said to let the zest steep for about 9 days or so (I forgot the number, but it was about a week or so and on the previous page of posts...) So some of the recipes that I have seen call for the steeping to go on for no less than 45 days I think.

Have you steeped for that long in the past? It makes sense to steep until the pieces are white, but yeah anyways, just curious...

I think we about have thie wrapped up. I started steeping on the 31st of December and was going to let it go on till about mid february before I took it out and strained it.

Also, your mason jar, about how many lemons did you zest and what size mason jar is specified in the recipe? I zested about 18 or 19 lemons and I think I got enough zest to prolly fill about 1/3 or 1/4 of a QT mason jar. I was thinking, WORST case, the zest with the ec190 will make it stronger, but I can always add more SS to it to take a bit of the bite out. Unless I am making an ultra concentrated lemon alcohol that will need 5:1 ratio of SS (I got no problems with that). Anyways though, just curious about that. I am gonna go out to bevmo and winco for some ginger and white dog and a few other things.

You also mention creamy limoncello, what is the difference? I have not seen any recipes that involve milk. Right now mine looks like a bottle of piss after being dehydrated. So, I am hoping it is on its way to tasting good.
i dont count lemons or measure zest anymore, i just put a good 2 1/2 - 3" of zest in the bottom of the jar and the world of ratios seems happy with that. with the white dog steeping goes about 8 days. once all the color has left the zest it is done - this is the true indicator. the amount of oil left in the whites is negligible and i would rather have a full product maturing in the fridge in 9 days than waiting an additional 5 weeks for meager improvement. now, i must admit that i have never steeped for 45 days, so if you have the patience please let me know the findings!

regular lemoncello is sugar/water simple syrup and creamy is milk/sugar syrup. the milk needs to cook down so it takes longer than just the sugar melting. let the simple syrup cool completely before adding it to the alcohol.

no 2 batches of lemoncello will ever be the same. for my taste (and now the tastes of my friends) i like the ratio of 2.25-2.5 syrup to 1 alcohol so on this first endeavor i would recommend you make a 2:1, a 2.5:1, and a 3:1 to find the realm of your preference.

if you make creamy lemoncello adding a hint of vanilla can be nice (i also tried some cinnamon which was yummy but again a hint only and i used cinnamon oil not ground).

*depending on your version of "dehydrated" you are either good or not so good lol - it should be a nice bright, crisp yellow, not a deep tea color.

Last edited by Off the Roster; 01-06-2014 at 4:36 PM..
Old 01-07-2014, 6:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
i dont count lemons or measure zest anymore, i just put a good 2 1/2 - 3" of zest in the bottom of the jar and the world of ratios seems happy with that. with the white dog steeping goes about 8 days. once all the color has left the zest it is done - this is the true indicator. the amount of oil left in the whites is negligible and i would rather have a full product maturing in the fridge in 9 days than waiting an additional 5 weeks for meager improvement. now, i must admit that i have never steeped for 45 days, so if you have the patience please let me know the findings!

regular lemoncello is sugar/water simple syrup and creamy is milk/sugar syrup. the milk needs to cook down so it takes longer than just the sugar melting. let the simple syrup cool completely before adding it to the alcohol.

no 2 batches of lemoncello will ever be the same. for my taste (and now the tastes of my friends) i like the ratio of 2.25-2.5 syrup to 1 alcohol so on this first endeavor i would recommend you make a 2:1, a 2.5:1, and a 3:1 to find the realm of your preference.

if you make creamy lemoncello adding a hint of vanilla can be nice (i also tried some cinnamon which was yummy but again a hint only and i used cinnamon oil not ground).

*depending on your version of "dehydrated" you are either good or not so good lol - it should be a nice bright, crisp yellow, not a deep tea color.
Ahhhhhhhhh. Yes, it makes sense to make it like a reload ladder. Then once it is dialed in I can start making it with more of the whatever ratio worked. I think I will pour out most of the yellow mixture and then what is left in the bottle will sit for the remaining 45 days.

Damn that dog is expensive. $20 for a .375ml bottle... I can only hope I have to push it to 5:1... (j/k. no wait, no I aint; I'm dead serious...). I will follow your loading ladder and maybe even 3.5:1 if I am feeling extra frisky.

As for color, hmmm, more like a Golden. Well, you can see. In this photo, the Apple pie moonshine is on the left and the steeping limoncello on the right...

Old 01-07-2014, 7:52 PM

there still looks to be alot of color in that zest but perhaps it is the photo. lol you really did go to town with that microplane, you might want to top off the rest of that bottle with more everclear to get you more product. for where the bottle is currently filled, i would use that beige line below "Grain Alcohol" as my zest line. have you stored the jar where light hits it or in a dark place? i will admit i have never had a batch that orange in color, but that can mean nothing. try some before adding simple syrup to check the taste but heads up it is going to be harsh!
Old 01-08-2014, 1:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
there still looks to be alot of color in that zest but perhaps it is the photo. lol you really did go to town with that microplane, you might want to top off the rest of that bottle with more everclear to get you more product. for where the bottle is currently filled, i would use that beige line below "Grain Alcohol" as my zest line. have you stored the jar where light hits it or in a dark place? i will admit i have never had a batch that orange in color, but that can mean nothing. try some before adding simple syrup to check the taste but heads up it is going to be harsh!
The bottle sits on top of the fridge. It gets a little diffused light, but mostly only the light from the kitchen lights hit it. I will move it into the storage cabinet tonight.

Does that really make a difference?

Old 01-08-2014, 1:25 AM

ive never done it any other way, but ive never seen your color either. do remove it from the fridge tho - it is an unnatural heat source which is no bueno (post #110 )

i generally steep mine out of the kitchen completely to avoid excess cooking temperatures.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Moved to the cabinet in the dark.

Old 01-19-2014, 1:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I actually made these last night:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/My-Favo...RelatedRecipes

They are stuffed bell peppers.

I must say, I do not normally make things like that, but it was exceptional last night since we were given about 11 large bell peppers from our neighbor, I wanted to turn them into something edible. Me being me though I also did the following:

1. added cooked bacon bits (that I previously cooked a week ago) to the ground beef, at a rate of about 1/4 cup for the 1.5lbs of beef.
2. added about a teaspoon of chipotle chili powder to the mix of spices.
3. used hickory smoked salt instead of regular salt.

Did not think to take photos, but this stuff came out really good.
I also did not read that part about HALVING the peppers, so I ended up cutting off the tops and then I had about 6 large peppers to fill up. It all worked out well I guess...

Old 01-19-2014, 1:16 PM

how is the lemoncello coming along stilly?
Old 01-20-2014, 2:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me. I gotta go shake the bottle.

It is just chillin. I have moved it to the moonshine cabinet (is where I store my supplies) so I am not tempted to walk by and play with it all the time.

I shake it up and then I see there is a piece of zest on the glass so I shake it again to hit it with alcohol and knock it down into the rest, but then more gets stuck, so it turns into a chinese skill game of shaking the bottle and finishing with nothing left on the walls. :\

I did start zesting some other stuff, kishu mini mandarins, navel oranges and today I put in about 10 lemons. Now I gotta put in some lemon verbena and pinneapple sage and let it chill too. This is of course in a different bottle. When I am ready to add in the simple syrup I will be adding in peppermint schnapps or something else that is peppermint. I started with 350ml of EC190 but maybe I will move up to about 500ml instead.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Superbowl Bundt Cake...

Disappointment Superbowl Bundt Cake... (because unlike the superbowl, this cake is NOT filled with disappointment...)

Yeah so I KNOW this is a tad early, but where we are going who cares...

Since we were invited over to a superbowl thingy, I was tasked with making a dessert so instead of sopapilla cheesecake, I thought I would try out my new Target purchased (for $11.29!) bundt pan. I am putting emphasis on where I got it because it was apparently a $25.xx pan but it was in the wrong spot and when we got to the register we were like, no, it was $11.29 not $25.xx so we went to the returns and they could NOT find it priced on the shelves so they gave it to us for $11.29 and THIS shall be my bundt pan for special occasions now. I believe it is a nordic ware. Target rules even though their website sucks bawlz...

ANYWAYS

Taking SonofWWIIDI 's idea of cream cheese, I came up with a betty crocker white cake mix with the following modifications:

1. Make about 1/2 of the batter orange (put it in another bowl and mix in orange food coloring.
2. Mix up a sopapilla cheesecake filling: 1 8OZ pack of cream cheese, one egg and almost a cup of sugar (about 3/4 or 4/5 cup) OH, and Add some blue food coloring to it.
3. Instead of 1/3 cup oil I put in an applesauce cup and about maybe 1/8th cup of oil. (just because- Old habit)
4. Put in the normal colored batter, just a little in the pan, have it up on the sides if you want, but then put in a little of the orange batter, THEN put in the BLUE cream cheese filling, like in the photo, then cover that with the rest of the orange batter, then cover that with the remaining batter.
It is prolly a better idea to put the cream cheese in a ziplock bag or pastry/cookie bag and cut the corner off and squirt it out. I should have done that but I was not thinking, I was just in a hurry. Next time though that will give me even striping when I do a cake like this, even with multiple layers of batter inside...

5. How will this turn out? I dunno yet, I hope it will be decent. But here are pics so far.

I have cream cheese icing ready to be mixed, it will be about 3/4 orange and 1/4 blue with the orange icing being draped over most of the cake and then followup up with the blue.. :O

BTW, I am not REALLY a Denver fan, but my G/F is and I myself happen to like Peyton, especially after that SNL skit with Peyton and your kids... :O

More pics to follow as they are available.

I have learned something here. When you go to pour your icing on your cake and you use the storebought icing containers.
Make certain that your icing is at the right temp/melt for pouring and do NOT take more than about 10 seconds pouring it out because it will thicken up and then not look so spready and clean, but more like wax. THEN, if you decide that your icing is NOT thin enough and put it back in AFTER POURING some out, then you will now have a different shade of the color when you THIN it in the microwave. So stir it up and pour it, but damn... I did not mean to get two shades of blue and I took too long pouring the orange but oh well... Final pic will be of the cut cake...

We can learn from this. Instead of putting the cream cheese on after the first layer, I will now put it before the last layers of the cake. In doing this it should make it so that it does not sink to the very bottom/top of the cake, but hold it more towards the center. Maybe next time it will be a devil's chocolate with cream cheese...

Last edited by stilly; 02-02-2014 at 6:43 PM..
Old 02-08-2014, 3:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Hey I looked at mine today and it had layers in it. There was the little rice grain (zest) on the bottom, then there was like a creamy layer on top of that and then the golden/yellowness liquid on top of that. Out of sight out of mind so I had not touched it for a while but I did notice that one of my EC-190 bottles was lower then the others and I discovered that it had a cracked lid. So I dumped most of it into my other batch of Stillycello ( ) that I am making. I also added about 50+ small and medium cut up leaves of Lemon Verbena (oh my hands smell like trix right now!) that I picked and I gotta go out to get some pineapple sage too...

Anyways, What is a good way to filter this mess and get the most out of it? I think that MAYBE I should use my Bodum 16OZ coffee press and then get the entire mess into that and then maybe PRESS it like coffee and pour the top liquid into a coffee filter over a funnel. But I would be inclined to leave it like that for a day or so to maximize the stuff that comes out.

Or should I move to a chemistry setup where I can let it sit and get filtered for a few days or so without worry of too much evaporation?

Now I have to add the syrup too. What is a decent recipe for that again? I keep seeing 1 LB of sugar to 1 cup of water (but that does not sound right) so then is it 1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water or maybe 2 cups of water to 1 cup of sugar?

Have you ever experimented?

Last edited by stilly; 02-08-2014 at 11:43 PM..
Old 07-28-2014, 10:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

OMG! Nobody has been cooking lately? WTH?

So check it out folks!

I just tried this stuff. WOW.
http://www.amazon.com/Medal-Frosted-.../dp/B00133071A

If you like carmel popcorn but hate the long drawn out process to make it, YOU are in luck.

Take a 3.5 QT saucepan/ pot with a lid.
Drop in enough oil to cover the bottom, I did NOT measure the oil, maybe 1/4 cup? Maybe less.
Drop in 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels.
Heat it up, as it is starting to sizzle, pour in 1/3 cup of this stuff (it is like a powdered brown sugar/caramel mix) and swirl it around/shake it up.

It will get frothy and sizzly like and then the magic happens. It will pop and as it pops it will cover itself with the glaze and the glaze bonds with the oil so you just shake it a little every 5-10 seconds and once it gets going look out! When it is done popping and it hits the lid and starts to push it up, remove from the heat and dump it into a larger container.

You now have caramel corn. THE instructions say to use 1/2 of the glaze as your popcorn so in theory, if you use 1/2 cup of popcorn then you should use 1/4 cup glaze. I found that I prefer 1/3 glaze, but that did not seem like enough. I think I need to add more oil though. SO maybe more oil then to cover the bottom will work better. Maybe enough oil to cover the bottom in about 5mm thick coating might work.

GOOD stuff for the price.

I picked mine up at Smart & Final for like $2.99 for the QT container that it comes in.

GOOD STUFF! And it leaves the popcorn kinda crispy/crunchy when it dries...

OMG!

THEY GOT OTHER FLAVORS TOO!

http://www.popcornsupply.com/glaze-pop

SWEET! (pun intended)

BTW, I think that if you want a KILLER popcorn session, then get THIS stuff along with white coconut oil and Hoosiers brand mushroom popcorn kernels...

Also, if you want that buttered/salty corn, pick up some flavocal from the same company it looks like...

Looks like you can get most if not all of what you need from the place above. THEY have the best prices on the glaze pop. Popcorn kernels- Mushroom popcorn at 1 gallon for $15 is pretty good too... I aint sure what shipping will run though, but it can't be too bad. Get one of those red whirly bird popcorn stovetop thingies too while you are at it...

Last edited by stilly; 08-03-2014 at 10:45 AM..
Old 07-29-2014, 11:36 AM
CGN Contributor

Default sugar

Quote:
OMG! Nobody has been cooking lately? WTH?

So check it out folks!

I just tried this stuff. WOW.
http://www.amazon.com/Medal-Frosted-.../dp/B00133071A

If you like carmel popcorn but hate the long drawn out process to make it, YOU are in luck.

Take a 3.5 QT saucepan/ pot with a lid.
Drop in enough oil to cover the bottom, I did NOT measure the oil, maybe 1/4 cup? Maybe less.
Drop in 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels.
Heat it up, as it is starting to sizzle, pour in 1/3 cup of this stuff (it is like a powdered brown sugar/caramel mix) and swirl it around/shake it up.

It will get frothy and sizzly like and then the magic happens. It will pop and as it pops it will cover itself with the glaze and the glaze bonds with the oil so you just shake it a little every 5-10 seconds and once it gets going look out! When it is done popping and it hits the lid and starts to push it up, remove from the heat and dump it into a larger container.

You now have caramel corn. THE instructions say to use 1/2 of the glaze as your popcorn so in theory, if you use 1/2 cup of popcorn then you should use 1/4 cup glaze. I found that I prefer 1/3 glaze, but that did not seem like enough. I think I need to add more oil though. SO maybe more oil then to cover the bottom will work better. Maybe enough oil to cover the bottom in about 5mm thick coating might work.

GOOD stuff for the price.

I picked mine up at Smart & Final for like $6.99 for the QT container that it comes in.

GOOD STUFF! And it leaves the popcorn kinda crispy/crunchy when it dries...

OMG!

THEY GOT OTHER FLAVORS TOO!

http://www.amazon.com/Glaze-Popcorn-...X287G7CK07FB5W

SWEET! (pun intended)

BTW, I think that if you want a KILLER popcorn session, then get THIS stuff along with white coconut oil and Hoosiers brand mushroom popcorn kernels...

Also, if you want that buttered/salty corn, pick up some flavocal from the same company it looks like...
Aww man! Just reading this is making my blood pressure go up!

Good stuff ... I can only eat this kind of stuff once in a blue moon.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:10 AM

Summer is here, and its HOT. So here's my rather traditional family recipe for Cole Slaw. Couldn't be easier. Just slice the cabbage fine-fine, shake up the dressing in a Mason jar, mix it up, let it rest at least two hours in the fridge, overnight is better. Et voila !

This is one of those family recipes we do "by taste". So if you like it sweeter, use more sugar. More bite? More lemon. Creamier, more mayo. But adjust the seasoning in the jar, not after you've mixed it into the cabbage.

1/2 cup Best Foods Mayo (NOT salad dressing)
1/8 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup buttermilk (Got no buttermilk? Use 1 tbs milk + 3tbs yogurt. OR 1/4 cup milk + 3/4 TSP white vinegar. For these substitutes, let it stand for 10 by itself minutes before using. It'll curdle. It's sposta.)
3 1/2 tbs lemon juice
2 1/2 tbs white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
big pinch of celery seed and/or big pinch of poppy seed
1 big cabbage, quartered, cored, and finely sliced
1/4 cup shredded carrot

Put all the dressing ingredients together in a Mason Jar, shake like crazy to mix. If you think it's too runny, add 1/4 cup plain yogurt to thicken.

Put the sliced cabbage into a bowl twice as large as you think you need. Pour the dressing over it until its just coated. Mix well, cover and refrigerate over night or at least two hours. Longer is better. As it rests, the cabbage will wilt slightly from all that acid, and you can put it in a smaller bowl the next day. If you don't use all the dressing at first, keep it in a closed jar in the fridge for up to 4 days.

Serves 10-12

(This slaw is KILLER on pulled pork sandwiches, if you've fired up the slow cooker at the same time. Creamy-sweet-sour with spicy succulent. MY kind of flavors)
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 07-30-2014 at 12:25 AM..
Old 07-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Baked Fish & Chips

Not my recipe, got it from FoodNetwork, but it is REALLY good.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...ps-recipe.html

Ingredients

For the Chips:
3 medium russet potatoes (1 1/4 pounds)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Kosher salt
For the Fish:
Olive oil cooking spray
2 3/4 cups crispy rice cereal
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 large egg whites
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless Pollock (or other firm white fish), cut into 2-by-4-inch pieces
Tartar sauce and/or malt vinegar, for serving (optional)

-----------------------------
Directions

Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F using the convection setting, if available. Place a baking sheet on one of the racks to preheat.

Prepare the chips: Cut the potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick sticks. Toss with the olive oil and cayenne in a bowl. Carefully remove the hot baking sheet from the oven, add the potatoes and spread in an even layer. Use a rubber spatula to scrape any oil from the bowl over the potatoes. Bake on the top oven rack, turning once, until browned and crisp, 25 to 30 minutes. Season with salt.

Meanwhile, make the fish: Set a wire rack on a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray. Lightly crush the cereal in a bowl with your fingers. Add 2 teaspoons salt, and black pepper to taste. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites and a pinch of salt until frothy.

Dip the fish in the egg whites, then roll in the cereal crumbs to coat. Place the fish pieces on the rack (position them on their sides so that the majority of the crust is exposed) and mist with cooking spray.

Bake the fish on the bottom oven rack until crisp and just cooked through, about 12 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve the fish and chips with tartar sauce and/or malt vinegar, if desired.

Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards

Last edited by MaHoTex; 07-30-2014 at 12:56 PM..
Old 08-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Rattlesnake Hunter

Suggested by...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
You should cross post this into the official recipe thread!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=836823
Go here for fabulous banana/chocolate/oatmeal muffin recipe ---► http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8&postcount=15

Here is a pic I took of the ones I baked last night - From thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=975679

DSC_0034.jpg
......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel

Last edited by ZirconJohn; 08-29-2014 at 2:11 AM..
Old 10-06-2014, 2:45 PM

tag
Old 12-13-2014, 11:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Second bundt... Red Velvet Sour Cream Filled Somethin...

So I made a Cream Cheese Ribbon Filled Red Velvet Bundt Cake...

I combined two recipes that I found online. I took the ribbon and icing ingredients from one and put them in the cake of the second.

SO, this recipe that I am about to post is actually the first cake recipe but with the third party parts for the filling and icing, OH, but I DID make the chocolate glaze from the actual cake recipe as well...

I must say, that cream cheese icing is FANTABULOUS! I think it would be good to put that on top of some other red velvet sugar cookies...

So check it out and I ended up baking this in my bundt pan for about 55minutes. It is for a Wedding/Birthday party that I am going to later on.

I only have ONE problem with this cake- It did not bake evenly, so when there was no icing on it it looked like a mobile home with failing supports if you looked under its skirt... I need to figure out some tips to follow for the best bundt cakes right out of the oven...

http://www.stillyvision.com/files/rvscc.doc

At the event tonight, I shot something and took notice...

The recipe on ONE side called for an 8oz package of cream cheese to be used for a "ribbon" but when I made that Ribbon, It was more like a thick log or cream cheese chorizo that ran around in the pan. I thought it would be cool BUT, as you can see by the photo, here is what my cake did... There was a geode-ish cavity running throughout the length of the cake (which explains why it felt wobbly as I was removing it from the wire rack). This cavity had a bit of cream cheese stuck on the bottom. but mostly baked into the cake I think.

Anyways, It was not all that great- look wise, but this cake had excellent icing. The cake itself was rather moist (I kept hearing that) and in the end it was the first cake to run out so folks loved their red velvet. The icing DID go with the cake though and it did taste great. I will be using this recipe for icing on my next batch of sugar cookies...

Thanks for the encouragement and words of advice. Something to take notice of for the next cake.

Last edited by stilly; 12-14-2014 at 12:14 AM..
Old 12-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime

the foundation may have had problems, stilly, but that is one gorgeous looking bundt cake...and very weddingish!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 12-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Banned

EASY to make-

Oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate chip cookies.

The PB and choc go great together, and the oatmeal gives them texture and flavor as well. It's a great combination...... They stay soft for a day or 2. It's the only thing I can bake that is easy and reliably comes out good every time.

1/2 C butter (1 stick- non salted at room temp)
1/2 c white sugar
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c PB (I use creamy)
1/2 tea vanilla extract
1 egg
1 c all purpose white flour
1 tea baking soda
1/4 tea salt
1/2 c quick oats
1 c semi sweet choc chips.

Preheat oven to 350.

in large bowl cream together butter, sugar and brown sugar until smooth.

Stir in the PB, vanilla and egg- blend well.

Add flour, baking soda, and salt- stir lightly until just blended.

Add the oats and choc chips- stir to evenly distribute.

Spoon onto greased cookie sheets. makes about 24.

Bake for 11-12 minutes until edges just start to brown. (they tend to be lumpy cookies, if lumps start to brown, take it out!) Remove from oven, but leave on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool.
Old 12-13-2014, 3:27 PM

Just in passing, the reason that bundt cakes often look so messy is conceptual. Traditional cakes are usually heavily frosted all over. Bundt cakes, however, are just supposed to be drizzled with a very little bit of runny frosting, in the 'valleys' of the cake. When people go nuts with the frosting, it always looks un-appetizing to me. This is one of those cases where 'less is more'. But, before a war starts, everyone to her own taste...

Last edited by BonnieB; 12-13-2014 at 3:29 PM..
Old 12-14-2014, 12:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Just in passing, the reason that bundt cakes often look so messy is conceptual. Traditional cakes are usually heavily frosted all over. Bundt cakes, however, are just supposed to be drizzled with a very little bit of runny frosting, in the 'valleys' of the cake. When people go nuts with the frosting, it always looks un-appetizing to me. This is one of those cases where 'less is more'. But, before a war starts, everyone to her own taste...

That makes complete sense. I often see that drizzle and I wonder why so little, and then sometimes I see a drizzle of thicker icing as well. I don;t care for a ton of icing, but if it is GOOD to the taste, I will drink it from the bowl...

I am heavy handed on the sugar and sweets though (I know it is a problem that I have to fix, I realized it after I made a batch of white chocolate dipped canoli shells with a red velvet custard filling... sugar sugar sugar...) and I have been thinking as to why I prefer so much sugar, although I am not that bad sometimes, but when I get to creating things and merging things, I go all out for sugar. I caught myself on my last cookie recipe. I made a recipe (botched) that ended up having caramels in the middle, but the caramels blew out the side and other times they sank and left a square caramel lined hole in the middle. SO when I made my FUDGE Puddle cookies, I also squirted some fudge into the holes to FILL in the nasty looking square holes. Hey they looked good, but damn that sucked. After I finished, I decided to call them chocolate sunny side up eggs... And folks ate them all up as well. So it was hard to get honest feedback when they do not care, they see custom cookies and they go for the gold. Oh but folks that ate the fudge puddles loved them as well and several took the time to tell me so.

I was going to have a somewhat thicker white icing cover this bundt cake with the chocolate glaze over it for contrast, but since the cake came out brown instead of red velvet (until you cut a piece out) I decided to pour ALL of the icing over it and cover it completely. I also decided to start looking for a bundt pan that was straight, but those are called angel food cake pans I think... So then I decided to just smother the white icing on it and then drizzle on the chocolate, but I cut the bag corner too big and it nearly poured out thicker then I wanted and then as I was pouring each icing/glaze, they started drying up (not moving as fast as I need to be I guess) and they started to look gloopy. I do NOT like the white puddles and I think those are sloppy. Next time I will put the first layer like that over a plate or something that will allow it to fall off. Then transfer it to the cake carrier and THEN put the chocolate drizzle glaze on it.

I think I want to experiment with spray on baker's flour/grease because I really do not like how the cake KINDA stuck a little, not major, but let's say I did loose a thin layer of skin in a few spaces, nothing too bad though and not even noticeable unless you look in the pan. But anyways... Thank GAWD I found a cake and cookie torrent that has about half a gig of cake/cookie books to read...

Good night.

Last edited by stilly; 12-14-2014 at 12:34 AM..
Old 12-15-2014, 5:45 PM

There are several tricks to get tidy cake edges. The simplest one is to frost the cake on a baking rack, like the ones you use to cool cookies. Excess frosting just slides down the cake, and through the grills of the rack onto the piece of foil you put down first. Then carefully, using a wide spatula (I use a hamburger flipper), transfer the cake to the serving plate.

Or, you can frost a cake right on the serving plate, but put 2x6" slips of wax paper, parchment paper or even printer paper in a pinch, slightly under the edge of the cake, all the way around. The excess frosting runs down the cake and pools on the paper. When the frosting has set up, run a wet knife all round the cake and pull the slips of paper out.

It's worth it to mention that one purpose of frosting is to cover up any flaws in the cake. And the best way to grease a cake pan is with real butter and the wax paper the butter came in. Used the paper to smear the softened butter around liberally, and dust with flour. Be stingy with the flour, generous with the butter. If there's visible flour on the cake after baking, you can brush it off with a pastry brush or any really soft new paint brush. Also, you might want to dust with cocoa powder instead of flour, if you are making a chocolate cake, or expect it to come out dark, as bundt cakes often do.

And last, if you like a tidy cake, but love frosting, maybe serve extra frosting on the side in a muffin paper? I have a picky family and I've actually done that....

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR A MAN WHO COOKS. It's better than looks, better than almost any other reason to choose a man. Because he'll still be a good cook when he's 70.

Last edited by BonnieB; 12-17-2014 at 12:05 PM..
Old 12-25-2014, 2:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
There are several tricks to get tidy cake edges. The simplest one is to frost the cake on a baking rack, like the ones you use to cool cookies. Excess frosting just slides down the cake, and through the grills of the rack onto the piece of foil you put down first. Then carefully, using a wide spatula (I use a hamburger flipper), transfer the cake to the serving plate.

Or, you can frost a cake right on the serving plate, but put 2x6" slips of wax paper, parchment paper or even printer paper in a pinch, slightly under the edge of the cake, all the way around. The excess frosting runs down the cake and pools on the paper. When the frosting has set up, run a wet knife all round the cake and pull the slips of paper out.

It's worth it to mention that one purpose of frosting is to cover up any flaws in the cake. And the best way to grease a cake pan is with real butter and the wax paper the butter came in. Used the paper to smear the softened butter around liberally, and dust with flour. Be stingy with the flour, generous with the butter. If there's visible flour on the cake after baking, you can brush it off with a pastry brush or any really soft new paint brush. Also, you might want to dust with cocoa powder instead of flour, if you are making a chocolate cake, or expect it to come out dark, as bundt cakes often do.

And last, if you like a tidy cake, but love frosting, maybe serve extra frosting on the side in a muffin paper? I have a picky family and I've actually done that....

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR A MAN WHO COOKS. It's better than looks, better than almost any other reason to choose a man. Because he'll still be a good cook when he's 70.
All good ideas. Today I decided to well, just to screw around with the bundt pan and see how mad I could make it.

CLEARLY I did it before reading this.

So I made a christmas bundt cake. I actually used the SAME recipe from above except instead of getting all fancy schmancy with ribbon of cream cheese inside it and cream cheese icing, I put about half the cake in the pan and thenpressed some caramels that looked like stepping stones all around, about a dozen or so. Then I put the remaining batter on top. This was a chocolate cake that I added some red food coloring to so it was kinda pinkish chocolatey looking...

Of course I thought I would test out a different way of greasing the pan so I sprayed crisco butter flavored food spray all over inside and then- remembering about the sugar thing I dusted it with sugar, but then added some flour JUST in case. The result was a mostly well, you can tell by the pic... Kinda white-ish/offwhite color. Reminded me of a coffee cake. Although I did not see any glistening shiny cake surface, I suspect the flour might have interferred with that.

As for the icing, I made ONLY the chocolate glaze (thinking back to the less is more bundt thing), but with more butter and less powdered sugar. I also tossed in some eggnog to thin it out, but sadly I started to put it on while it was not pourable (looked kinda pourable in the bowl as I was mixing it) and it all just stayed on top. LoL. SO I got the bright idea to take the last 1/4 of it and pop it back in the microwave for 20 seconds, then it came out, and it poured with no problems, but it was not hot enough to melt the other and coax it into running down the side. It was also darker...

SO, bundt 2.0 is here now, and it actually grew out of the pan in the oven, then while sitting down cooling it deflated a lot and went from abotu an inch over the top of the pan to about 1/2 inch under the top.

It will be interesting to cut into this one. I suspect the caramels might make it a tad hard to cut in certain locations but I hope I am wrong.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Oops...

I forgot all about this stuff. I put it away in a dark cabinet and then just kinda outta sight outta mind until I was looking for more of that moonshine liquer I made.

So I think this should be good to go. A TAD dark but maybe the 2.5:1 simple solution will lighten it up a tad...

Looks to be about half a quart.

I have another bottle ready to get strained as well but it is darker like apple cider dark, it also has lemon zest + lemon verbena and I might add peppermint schnapps to one of the final mixes... I wanted it cool and lemony going down with a nice warm finish.

I need to get a hold of some of them large grolsch bottles.

Turns out if you need any cool bottles for CHEAP, at World Market in the back they have Voss sparkling water near the tea. The bottles are 800ml and they cost $3.29. OR you can go buy custom bottles for about $6.00 each that hold half as much from the front of the store.

Last edited by stilly; 01-14-2015 at 12:14 AM..
Old 01-17-2015, 11:52 AM
Rattlesnake Hunter

As Muffin Connoisseurs -- My wife and I have been baking muffins for about a year now. It all started because at the time, I was running 6 miles a day. The glucose produced by the body when these foods are consumed aids the muscles in producing energy and eliminates fatigue.

However, it has turned into an exercise of perfection... and we are almost there.

Here is a pic and recipe I posted a few months back ---► http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=142

We bake from scratch - NO boxed anything...!

I've been trying to figure out what exactly makes the difference between a dry muffin and a moist muffin. And the difference between moist and wet.

We want moist - and NOT wet...!

It's a fine line and it takes practice. No doubt I'm going to ruin a batch or two - I HOPE NOT. But, we must try.

Here is an article I found just now... GREAT information about what makes a moist cake or muffin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: A Slice of Heaven Custom Cakes Online Cake Decorating School

Making Moist Cakes or Cupcakes

Thursday, March 22, 2012

I have never believed, as some people do, that you either have a gift for baking cakes or you don’t. Have you ever looked at a piece of cake thinking it’s going to be moist only to find that it’s really dry? If you love to bake cakes (or cupcakes) but find they are not as moist as they should be then read on. Whether from scratch or a box mix, with a little practice and a few tips you can make moist and delicious cakes.

First, here is a quick lesson on the science behind making cakes:

Ingredients for cakes (whether from scratch or a mix) include the same things. Most cakes are composed of flour, sugar, eggs, and a fat for moistness (either oil or butter). In fact, classic pound cake requires nothing more than... GO HERE for full article ---► http://www.asliceofheavencakesclassr...-cupcakes.html

Last edited by ZirconJohn; 01-17-2015 at 12:21 PM..
Old 01-17-2015, 5:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZirconJohn View Post
As Muffin Connoisseurs -- My wife and I have been baking muffins for about a year now. It all started because at the time, I was running 6 miles a day. The glucose produced by the body when these foods are consumed aids the muscles in producing energy and eliminates fatigue.

However, it has turned into an exercise of perfection... and we are almost there.

Here is a pic and recipe I posted a few months back ---► http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=142

We bake from scratch - NO boxed anything...!

I've been trying to figure out what exactly makes the difference between a dry muffin and a moist muffin. And the difference between moist and wet.

We want moist - and NOT wet...!

It's a fine line and it takes practice. No doubt I'm going to ruin a batch or two - I HOPE NOT. But, we must try.

Here is an article I found just now... GREAT information about what makes a moist cake or muffin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: A Slice of Heaven Custom Cakes Online Cake Decorating School

Making Moist Cakes or Cupcakes

Thursday, March 22, 2012

I have never believed, as some people do, that you either have a gift for baking cakes or you don’t. Have you ever looked at a piece of cake thinking it’s going to be moist only to find that it’s really dry? If you love to bake cakes (or cupcakes) but find they are not as moist as they should be then read on. Whether from scratch or a box mix, with a little practice and a few tips you can make moist and delicious cakes.

First, here is a quick lesson on the science behind making cakes:

Ingredients for cakes (whether from scratch or a mix) include the same things. Most cakes are composed of flour, sugar, eggs, and a fat for moistness (either oil or butter). In fact, classic pound cake requires nothing more than... GO HERE for full article ---► http://www.asliceofheavencakesclassr...-cupcakes.html
I was gonna suggest adding sour cream... That seems to do it for those last few bundt cakes I made.

Old 02-20-2015, 8:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I posted this in my thread "dinner tonight" in the OT forum. I thought I'd cross post it here so you can avoid the horrors that are OT.

Okay, here it is.

Chile Relleno Casserole
What you need:
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons flour
Salt/pepper to your liking
Paprika (I like the smoked kind)
Cumin (roasted)
Chili powder (optional)
Dried chipotle powder (optional, the above 4 spices should be to your taste. Start with a 1/4 teaspoon of each and see if that strikes you. I just eyeball it and I use way more than 1/4 teaspoon)
Ortega green chiles (I used 4 smal cans to fit in an 8x12 purex casserole dish, 1 large can would probably work. Yes you can use fresh roasted chiles if you wish. I didn't because I was too lazy to go to the store)
1 small onion thinly sliced.
Lots of cheese (I used a combo of Monterey jack, smoked jarlsberg, and Mexican 4 cheese mix by sargento)
Almost crisp bacon, 3-4 slices chopped. (I would have used cooked ground chorizo, but I didn't have any. And again, too lazy to go to the store)

Preheat oven to 350.

Whip the eggs in a bowl until they capitulate...()...um, are nice and frothy. Add in the milk, flour and spices. Mix again.

Drain the chiles.

Split the chiles in half lengthwise and make a layer on the bottom of the dish covering it completely. Add a layer of thinly sliced onion, followed by a layer of the cheese. Repeat. I made three layers. On top, put the bacon followed by cheese to cover it all. Slowly pour in the egg/seasoning mixture. It will flow to the nooks and crannies. I put the casserole pan in a disposable foil pan in case of overflow.

Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes. It should be lightly browned on top and not at all jiggly. A tooth pick inserted in the middle should come out clean except for a bit of cheese (if you used enough ).

Let cool for a few minutes so it all holds together.

Makes about 8 small servings, or 6 large ones. Or in my case 2 giant ones!

I Think that's it.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 02-20-2015, 9:13 PM

oh, that sounds yummy.......!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 02-20-2015, 9:26 PM
Rattlesnake Hunter

Quote:
I was gonna suggest adding sour cream... That seems to do it for those last few bundt cakes I made.
Ya -- I've read about that. Sour Cream or apple sauce or plain yogurt.

We are currently trying egg yolk only vs. adding the whole egg. If the recipe calls for one whole egg, we put in two yolk only. and using apple sauce. The cupcake was noticeably moister and stayed moist for several days stored in the refer. The previous recipe the cupcakes would get dry from the refer. They were still good, but noticeably dry.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
I posted this in my thread "dinner tonight" in the OT forum. I thought I'd cross post it here so you can avoid the horrors that are OT.

Okay, here it is.

Chile Relleno Casserole
Ah, well ...

It's Lent this week, and Some Of Us need meatless meals.

Here's a variation on Chile Relleno Casserole - meatless and fluffier, but much the same idea. I made it Wednesday.

This is from Sunset's "Quick and Easy Diners", my copy from 1975, and we've been making it ever since.

Chile and Cheese Souffle

Preheat oven to 350F. (I hate it when recipes need this step but don't mention it for half a page ...)

Ingredients:
* 2 tablespoons butter (margarine works, olive oil works, not fussy)
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1 cup milk (skim is not so good - 2% or 'full fat' works better)
* Dash cayenne
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
* 3 to 5 tablespoons finely chopped green chiles. (or more; I generally use a whole 7 ounce can, and I have used a whole poblano or serrano pepper, seeded, chopped, and pre-cooked to 'soft'. We like chiles.)
* 1/4 pound sharp cheddar, shredded, about 1 cup. (Don't go up to 2 cups - the cheese kind of settles out and the dish is either runny or takes twice as long to cook. Did I mention I've been cooking this for 40 years? Lots of time to make mistakes! Most cheese works well, but mozzarella seems not so happy here.)
* 6 eggs separated
* 2 egg yolks (I always throw the 2 extra whites in with the others, so really it's "8 eggs, separated" but to be faithful to the printed recipe ...)

Procedure
In a large saucepan (I use 3 quarts)
melt the butter over medium heat
stir in the cornstarch
cook until bubbly.

Gradually blend in
milk (you're making a roux)
cayenne
salt
mustard.

Cook, stirring, until thickened.

Stir in chiles to suit your taste.

Add cheese and stir until melted.

Take the pot off the heat.

Beat in the 8 egg yolks.

Whip the egg whites until they hold short peaks (soft peaks, stiff peaks, does not seem to matter).

Fold about half the whipped egg whites into the cheese etc mixture in the pot.

Fold in the rest - be sure to do this in two steps, this instruction matters. (Yes, I have done this in one step - flat souffles are not so pretty.)

Grease an oven-proof casserole - 2 to 3 quart - 3 is probably better. I have recently (2014) found that, while butter tastes good in that role, hi-temperature grilling non-stick spray actually lets the souffle let go of the dish!

Pour the egg/milk/cheese etc mixture into the greased casserole.

With a sharp knife, cut a circle in the surface, about an inch from the side, all the way around - that's how you get the pretty puffed-up look without having it spill over the sides.

Bake in that pre-heated 350F oven (remember to take it off pre-heat! Another mistake ...)
for 30 minutes OR
until a skewer inserted near the middle comes out almost dry. (I've found that 5 minute increments of more baking seems to work best.)

The top should be a pleasant golden to medium brown and the center really obviously risen - not browned and not risen == not done yet (maybe your oven is too cold).

Serve immediately, or turn off the oven and leave the souffle in the oven with the door closed for up to 10 minutes.

Usually serve this with something hot and green - asparagus, broccoli, whatever.

A nice 'grassy' Chardonnay pairs well. So does Champagne (many of those are Chardonnay or Chardonnay blends).

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 02-20-2015 at 10:42 PM..
Old 04-05-2015, 4:42 PM

If you haven't seen Molly Gilbert's new cookbook "Sheet Pan Suppers", you're really missing out.

http://www.amazon.com/Sheet-Pan-Supp...et+pan+suppers

I cooked her "Arctic Char with Asparagus and Cherry Tomatoes" last night, using a salmon steak. YUM! And bonehead simple, my kind of thing. Oil the sheet pan, throw in the veg, salt and pepper, toss to coat, lay the salmon on the veg, salt and pepper again, 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Fresh food almost instantly with no drama! Toss it together and go have a glass of wine. By the time you're done, dinner is sur la table.

Last edited by BonnieB; 04-05-2015 at 4:52 PM..
Old 04-07-2015, 12:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZirconJohn View Post
Ya -- I've read about that. Sour Cream or apple sauce or plain yogurt.

We are currently trying egg yolk only vs. adding the whole egg. If the recipe calls for one whole egg, we put in two yolk only. and using apple sauce. The cupcake was noticeably moister and stayed moist for several days stored in the refer. The previous recipe the cupcakes would get dry from the refer. They were still good, but noticeably dry.
I added strawberry applesauce to my french toast waffles on Sunday. It seems to make it dense and hold them together. Or maybe I just did not cook them long enough. They were good though.

Old 04-07-2015, 6:51 AM

I've been oven roasting asparagus on sheet pans. previously I was using my oblong calphalon roasters.

use parchment paper on the bottom of the sheet pan.
oil your veggies or whatever and place on the parchment = very easy clean up with all the roasted flavors in tact!
Quote: