Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-07-2014, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
A few I've read recently:

The Jakarta Pandemic (Prequel to the Perseid Collapse series) by Steven Konkoly - I enjoyed this book very much. Well written, good character development, and a great storyline. I am looking forward to reading the Perseid Collapse next.

Apocalypse Law 5: Liberty or Tyranny by John Grit - Another winner IMO. This series follows the story of a group of people in FL following a global pandemic. A few of the main characters are ex-military, so while some might find that it makes the book a little less realistic for the average person who doesn't have the benefit of that training and experience, I've enjoyed reading from that perspective. Another well written series, with good character development and a well conceived story line.

Madness Rules (the Survivalist Series) by Arthur Bradley - This is book 4 in this series. This series has an interesting, if perhaps improbable, story line. One of the characters is the daughter of the POTUS who is on the run from government agents trying to track her down to keep her quiet. I'm enjoying this series and look forward to the next book.
Thanks for flagging Apocalypse Law 5: Liberty or Tyranny - John Grit is superb
Old 09-09-2014, 2:20 PM

Just got Day of Wrath by William Fortschen
Old 09-09-2014, 2:31 PM

The Matthew Bracken series is good. I'm on the final one now. Good reading. Surprising how it reflects current events.
Old 09-09-2014, 2:38 PM

If you grew up in the eighties, check out:
War Day [Whitley Strieber, James Kunetka]
Old 09-09-2014, 2:53 PM
Veteran Member

Both a SHTF and a horror novel series but:

The Passage Trilogy: (only two books available thus far)
1. The Passage
2. The Twelve
3. The City of Mirrors (released date is Oct 2014)

It's a great series written around the an infectious disease that turns humans into bloodthirsty monsters and one child who was injected with the virus who, without giving out spoilers, doesn't become a monster and ages extremely slowly because of it. The three books span a time period of hundreds of years after the destruction of modern society chronically both the immediate struggle to survive the near species ending event, to the decades and centuries later of different groups of humans trying to make their way in the world while still under constant threat of attack by the monsters in the darkness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.

Last edited by omgwtfbbq; 09-09-2014 at 3:00 PM..
Old 09-09-2014, 4:39 PM

Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven.
Its an excellent read. Written in the late 70's but still great today.

Also, "Home" series by A. American is a good prepper-fiction book series.
The first in the series is called "Going Home."
Old 09-09-2014, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthz View Post
Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven.
Its an excellent read. Written in the late 70's but still great today.

Also, "Home" series by A. American is a good prepper-fiction book series.
The first in the series is called "Going Home."
I have "Lucifers Hammer"
I used to live on Lake Success and jumped off that bridge they blew-up in the book.
Old 09-09-2014, 5:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/083683...&robot_redir=1
Old 09-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
Old 09-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Escape from Sobibor.

Good SHtF books need not be fiction. Humanity has plenty of dirt on its' hands.
Old 09-10-2014, 5:05 PM

Patriots is a good read and also both Patient Zero and Dead of Night by Jonathan Maberry.
Old 09-10-2014, 5:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Liberators: A Novel of the Coming Global Collapse Hardcover – October 21, 2014

http://www.amazon.com/Liberators-Nov...0400140&sr=1-1

Sounds like a great read.

Old 09-13-2014, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMT4ME View Post
Recent books read:

Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) (Silo Saga) - excellent
I loved the Wool series.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 09-14-2014, 2:20 AM

John Ringo has a new zombie series out.
I'm reading the second volume now
Old 09-15-2014, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Well aside from everything being Spit exclusively down racial lines (I seriously doubt that will happen it was Pirce's crazy dream). Its pretty realistic Gun Confiscation, Mass Arrests, Government Torture, And people fighting back.

If things got as bad as they did in the novel I have no doubt that the majority of the people would stick with their own if for nothing else then Geographic reasons that will create a "Tribe Mentality" and will further split people by race or culture.
I read that about 20 years ago and I thought it was poorly written and he focused entirely on the race issue wayyy too much
Old 09-15-2014, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horta View Post
The Dog Stars by Peter Heller
Another vote for this one
positively uplifting after reading The Road, lol

Also good is I Am Legend, by Richard Matheson

When they kick in your front door,
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head,
Or on the trigger of your gun?

Last edited by Son of BAR7; 09-15-2014 at 8:42 AM..
Old 09-15-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by section31 View Post
Dies the Fire is a 2004 alternate history and post-apocalyptic novel written by S. M. Stirling.

In Dies the Fire, S.M. Stirling chronicles the struggle of two groups who try to survive "The Change", a mysterious worldwide event that suddenly alters physical laws so that electricity, gunpowder, and most other forms of high-energy-density technology no longer work. As a result of this, modern civilization comes crashing down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dies_the_Fire
+1 For this. Great series. Some fantasy thrown in, if you like that genre.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-15-2014, 10:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The Koran.

Study the enemy.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:35 AM

Here are my top reads so far:

The Home Series. Great book on SHTF and a man who is a prepper. The series was written by a prepper and he seems to know his stuff. He gets very in detail about what the character is carrying, his preps, etc - sometimes TOO in detail for me, but at least you don't catch him saying things like "clip" when he means magazine.
Book 1: Going Home
Book 2: Surviving Home
Book 3: Escaping Home
Book 4: Forsaking Home
Book 5: TBD but its going to be published soon.

World War Z. One of my favorites - the movie wasn't even close to the book.

The Postman was a great post-apocalypse novel. They made the movie "based" on this book but it was completely bastardized.

The Stand by Stephen King. Great, fun read for SHTF. Not very technical but one of my favorite King books.

I Am Legend. They also made a movie very loosely based on this book. The book is a fun read and has an interesting ending.

The Contamination Boxed Set (Books 0-3). I picked this up for .99 and decided to give it a try. Its not the best written but if you want something cheap and interesting, this fits the bill. There are books 4 and 5 but I dont really have the desire to read them after the first three. The first "three" books are the equivalent of a single standard book.

Divergent Series. I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet but if you liked Hunger Games, you'll probably find this interesting. I've read the first two books but I haven't made it into the third yet, the first one is the best. I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment on how they relate.

Last edited by Lifeon2whls; 09-15-2014 at 10:41 AM..
Old 09-17-2014, 5:45 AM

Just finished up the Perseid Collapse series by Steven Konkoly last night - two thumbs up!

The series starts with the Jakarta Pandemic which is characterized as a prequel to the Perseid Collapse series. As the title implies this is about a SHTF event driven by a worldwide pandemic. The main characters in the book live in Maine, and the book is about how they deal with the crisis in their neighborhood.

The Perseid Collapse series itself is three books, The Perseid Collapse, Event Horizon and Point of Crisis. They follow the same group of characters during and following a second SHTF event. Rather unique to see two independent SHTF events of this scope in one series, but the first book does set up some of the things that happen in the interim between the two events.

All four books are action packed thrillers that keep you on the edge of your seat throughout. The books are well written, with good character development. One of the main characters is ex-military, and there are a lot of military oriented battle action sequences in all three books. If that's not your cup of tea than these may not be for you.

It's not clear whether this is the end of the series or not. Certainly the story is left at a point where there could be another book, but there isn't any commitment to a 5th book in the series.

Last edited by Cnynrat; 09-17-2014 at 5:50 AM..
Old 09-17-2014, 6:18 AM

I just finished Day of Wrath a novella by William Forstchen (One Second After). Very up to date story about a ISIS attack on the US. It is a short, easy (to follow) read but I found it tough to get through because of the subject and vivid descriptions.

Last edited by Velvetmonkey; 09-17-2014 at 6:20 AM..
Old 09-17-2014, 7:40 PM

I just finished the audio version of American Exit Strategy by Mark Goodwin. I really liked it. Amazing how the narrative parallels so much of what we have seen lately.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt16 View Post
Bracken's Enemies Foreign And Domestic books were great (the first two anyway. The third one...not so much) especially with what's going on today. I highly recommend them.

I'm currently reading David Crawford's Collision Course but so far I'm not too excited about it. The storyline seems a bit rushed. I'm only 90 pages in so I'm not giving up on it yet. The author's first book, Light's Out, was of course phenomenal.

As far as Patriots is concerned....ugh, it was hard to get through it. I know it holds value as far as survival/prepping tips and techniques, but as a literary work of fiction it is a painful disaster. If anyone wants my copy just send me a few bucks for shipping and its yours.

The last really great novel I read was D.J. Molles's The Remaining. And that book was AMAZING. Its actually a series of four or five relatively short books and the writing, storyline, and characters are excellent. The thrill and suspense factors are sky-high chapter after chapter. Well worth your time.

I have to say though, if you only read one more novel for the rest of your life, (and I can't believe this book hasn't already been mentioned!) it absolutely MUST be John Ross's masterpiece Unintended Consequences. This should be required reading for every red-blooded American. It is a novel but actually contains more facts in it than some non-fiction books. I have read a TON of books and honestly I have yet to find one that even comes close to Unintended Consequences. It is the gold standard that I compare every other book to. Good luck finding a copy for under $200 dollars though. And no, you can't borrow mine.

If anyone is looking for it, I have a .pdf version of this book. It isnt the best but it is readable and still sucks you in. Sent me a PM with your rmail and I can send it your way (its only 3.75 Mb)
Old 09-29-2014, 6:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

World Made By Hand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Made_By_Hand
Old 09-29-2014, 7:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

the autobiographical (some events in book are argued to be false) "Papillon" is one man's SHTF story that is a lesson on tenacity. while not a book written as a SHTF instructional guide, it is part of my personal library of survival related books.

i highly recommend the movie (Papillon) as well, with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman at their very best; one of those rare examples of a great movie being as powerful as the great book that it was based on.
Old 10-04-2014, 9:56 AM

I recently finished reading the Final Dawn series by Mike Kraus. It's one of the better series I've read, but not up there with the best. It's a little sci-fi, a little SHTF. The U.S. government has been working on developing nanobots that possess artificial intelligence. These nanobots can infect people and turn them into a sort of half human/half robot who's actions are centrally controlled. A rogue scientist tries to use this technology for his own purposes, and the results set off a disastrous chain of events.

Worth a read IMO.

Old 10-05-2014, 5:46 PM

Got Amazon Kindle Unlimited - great deal. I downloaded TJ Reeder's Long Lonely Roader series 14-18 & Beware of Sleeping Dragons series 3. Also Thomas Ward's Tocabaga #6 &7. All free. These are all relatively short books and I was going to avoid continuing given the .99 - 2.99 price. However for 9.99 a month and given I read all this past month - a bargain for me. One can download 10 books at at a time. As you read you delete to get more. All good reads BTW.
Old 10-25-2014, 3:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Book 10:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/069...pf_rd_i=283155

Old 10-25-2014, 5:06 PM
Veteran Member

I recently picked up the 4th book in the Survivalist Series by A. American called Forsaking Home.

So far I've really enjoyed the series including this one. The 4th book goes is going into more detail about the 'how to' survival aspects of the main character and his group. Which isn't a bad thing, just slightly different than the previous 3 since quite a bit of time has been spent on what and how they are doing the things they are doing.

Either way, the story is enjoyable and the characters are believable IMO.

I also picked up James Wesley, Rawles latest book, Liberators which came out last week. I'm a big fan of his first novel Patriots however I skipped his last two books after reading reviews.
For this installment I decided to check it out since the reviews were pretty good. I am working on finishing Forsaking Home first. A note about JWR's books though... they have heavy religious overtones. Which personally doesn't bother me (I'm not religious at all) but may bother some. It sounds like this book is very heavy with them.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 10-27-2014, 9:26 AM

I just finished reading the McClane Apocalypse series by Kate Morris. There are 3 books so far (named McClane Apocalypse Book 1, 2 and 3), and per the note at the end of book 3 at least one more expected in 2015.

The premise is a WW-III type scenario in which nukes set off major tidal waves the devastate the coasts around the world and take out most infrastructure. The central characters are an extended family that was prepared, and lives on a nice isolated farm in TN. Two members of the family are doctors, and one of the husbands is a Army Ranger. He's joined by his brother and another friend, also Rangers. All this background to say that the situation is pretty idealistic, and while it creates a nice fantasy it's probably not reflective of the sorts of resources most of us would have at our disposal in a SHTF scenario.

The series is generally well written. There is a lot of focus on the personal relationships among the characters, and as a result character development is much better than average for this type of book. Without spoiling the book let's just say that there are some interesting interpersonal dynamics portrayed in the book. Some may not like it, I thought it helped carry the book.

I did catch a few spelling/grammar issues, but nowhere near as bad as some in this genre.

Definitely worth a read IMO.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
I recently picked up the 4th book in the Survivalist Series by A. American called Forsaking Home.

So far I've really enjoyed the series including this one. The 4th book goes is going into more detail about the 'how to' survival aspects of the main character and his group. Which isn't a bad thing, just slightly different than the previous 3 since quite a bit of time has been spent on what and how they are doing the things they are doing.

Either way, the story is enjoyable and the characters are believable IMO.

I also picked up James Wesley, Rawles latest book, Liberators which came out last week. I'm a big fan of his first novel Patriots however I skipped his last two books after reading reviews.
For this installment I decided to check it out since the reviews were pretty good. I am working on finishing Forsaking Home first. A note about JWR's books though... they have heavy religious overtones. Which personally doesn't bother me (I'm not religious at all) but may bother some. It sounds like this book is very heavy with them.
I am on the 3rd book in the series Escaping Home, series is really good. I also read Patriots. I liked it too. If you like those you would probably like American Exit Strategy by Mark Goodwin.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvetmonkey View Post
I just finished Day of Wrath a novella by William Forstchen (One Second After). Very up to date story about a ISIS attack on the US. It is a short, easy (to follow) read but I found it tough to get through because of the subject and vivid descriptions.

Yeah that was a tough read especially since my wife works at a elementary school 20 miles from my house.

good book even though.

I highly recommend Matt Bracken. he also wrote a collection of short stories that is worth checking out.

Illegitimi non carborundum

John 15:13

"Let us form one body, one heart, and defend to the last warrior our country, our homes, our liberty, and the graves of our fathers." Tecumseh
Old 10-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I just finished reading the McClane Apocalypse series by Kate Morris. There are 3 books so far (named McClane Apocalypse Book 1, 2 and 3), and per the note at the end of book 3 at least one more expected in 2015.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKRick View Post
I am on the 3rd book in the series Escaping Home, series is really good. I also read Patriots. I liked it too. If you like those you would probably like American Exit Strategy by Mark Goodwin.
Ok adding both of those to my wishlist. Thanks!
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 10-27-2014, 1:27 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I enjoyed Bill Quick's Lightning Fall - see also http://theothermccain.com/2014/03/21...by-bill-quick/

EMP attack on the US. Political and social responses.

Quick is a NorCal resident, and uses San Francisco as one of his geographic settings.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-01-2014, 2:09 PM

Tag.

I've been reading the Maze Runner series. Very good.

― John Adams
Old 11-01-2014, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypriss32 View Post
Liberators: A Novel of the Coming Global Collapse Hardcover – October 21, 2014

http://www.amazon.com/Liberators-Nov...0400140&sr=1-1

Sounds like a great read.

That same author wrote "Patriots".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 11-01-2014, 3:56 PM

I actually like World War Z. The movie has NOTHING to do with the book.

I like that it airs a lot of countries dirty laundry while hiding under the theme of being a zombie novel. Its a fun read!

Not sure if it would be considered a SHTF book, but a lot of fun.
Old 11-01-2014, 4:01 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Merged the 2 threads; apologies for a little bit of disconnect from interleaving the posts by date, but that's how merges work.

I never use it, but apparently the vBulletin 'threaded' mode will straighten that out.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-01-2014, 6:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq View Post
Both a SHTF and a horror novel series but:

The Passage Trilogy: (only two books available thus far)
1. The Passage
2. The Twelve
3. The City of Mirrors (released date is Oct 2014)

It's a great series written around the an infectious disease that turns humans into bloodthirsty monsters and one child who was injected with the virus who, without giving out spoilers, doesn't become a monster and ages extremely slowly because of it. The three books span a time period of hundreds of years after the destruction of modern society chronically both the immediate struggle to survive the near species ending event, to the decades and centuries later of different groups of humans trying to make their way in the world while still under constant threat of attack by the monsters in the darkness.
I thought the first two were outstanding! Can't wait for #3. There is talk of turning the series into a movie. My wife cried at the end of the first book not knowing that there was going to be two more.
Old 11-01-2014, 6:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of BAR7 View Post
Another vote for this one
positively uplifting after reading The Road, lol

Also good is I Am Legend, by Richard Matheson
Dog Stars is a new favorite of mine. Much better reading than the shoot-em up stuff.