Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-04-2013, 6:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Anyone read "Vandenberg aka Defiance" by Oliver Lange? A post WW3 novel of the USSR invading the U.S. and one man who resists mostly because he's tired of being pushed around and not left alone. It is interesting how much damage one guy with a scoped and sported 03 with armor piercing rounds can do.

The ending is a downer but it is worth your time to read it.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:23 PM

LOL on another forum an author asked for some feedback for chapter 1 of his book before publishing. I critiqued it, then said the chapter sucked me in and I'd pay $2.99 for it on my Kindle....turns out he'd already published it for Kindle, and it was priced at $2.99, so I felt compelled to put my money where my mouth was.

The Kindle version, like the chapter I critiqued, certainly needs a good editing. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the story. I have several books I've started recently but just can't wade through, while this one I finished over a couple of days, and wished it was longer.

TEOTWAWKI: Beacon's Story
Old 09-05-2013, 2:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Though not intended to be a SHTF book, it does deal with living off the land with just a knife and being sought by the army of another country.

Last of The Breed by Louis L'Amour ...best known for books on the old west and one of m favorite authors.

Take care, Stan

What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 09-06-2013, 1:05 PM

A lot of people are recommending The Stand, I'll have to give that a try after I finish Inferno by Dan Brown. Btw, if you like King and haven't read The Dark Tower series give it a go. It's the only King books I've read but it's my all time favorite reads. Not really SHTF, but it has environments from a post apocalyptic wasteland to modern day New York.

Last edited by rimfired; 09-06-2013 at 1:08 PM..
Old 09-07-2013, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

Recommendation from another forum here on CalGuns:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...82&postcount=1
Old 09-13-2013, 7:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Free Flight by Douglas Terman. Excellent read.
Old 09-14-2013, 2:11 PM

Under a Graveyard Sky by John Ringo. Great SHTF zombie novel. Naval bug out. Solid tech. Good understanding of weapons. Must read.
Old 09-14-2013, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Just finished reading:
Patriots and patriot dawn. I started enemies foreign and domestic
Old 09-16-2013, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
I would recommend "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross.

http://www.amazon.com/Unintended-Con.../dp/1888118040

It will give you a good SHTF fiction read and as a bonus you get a detailed accountings of all the critical gun/government confrontations in US history (Miami shootout, Waco, Ruby Ridge, etc.). A very good read!
Read it based on the reco here and it has to be one of the most amateurishly written books I've read. It was so bad my wife couldn't get through it.

I also picked up "One Second After" which was marginally better, but at least the story was more interesting.

I can't recommend "World War Z" enough, plus the Audio Book is pretty incredible. I've never listened to one, but having the different characters/voices really brings things to life...but read the book first.

Want two books that shows you how bad things really are today? Read "Atlas Shrugged" and a nice historical book, "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich".

Enjoy.
Old 10-14-2013, 8:15 AM

I just read Friends of the Family and The Way of the Dogs by Joel Baker.

These are among the best post-apocalyptic fiction books I've read. Highly recommended. Interesting story with some unique twists. Great character development. Very well written.

These are the first two books in a series of at least three. The third book is due out late this year.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 12-07-2013, 2:29 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Movie "Panic in the Year Zero" mentioned above: A guy driving his car for mountain holiday stops to take in the view below at a mountain lookout: sees a mushroom cloud down below. Now he zooms along looking for small abandoned markets and general stores to load up on food, guns, ammo which he had none of to start with. And some spare gasoline. With which he also plans to douse a wooden bridge after passing through on way to any shelter hidey hole deep in the mountains. Block the road in, hunker down, fight off intruders, survive long enough for the radiation to dissipate below. That is his plan. Ray Milland.
Old 12-07-2013, 2:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

First Team by John Ball .About brutal soviet occupation of US and a behind the scenes elite group that thwarts their occupation and frees US. Not the series by Larry Bond. Well written. Wish I could find and read it again. On par with Alas Babylon by Pat Frank.

Last edited by edgerly779; 12-07-2013 at 3:08 PM..
Old 12-07-2013, 8:07 PM

Matthew Bracken's "Enemies Foreign & Domestic", "Domestic Enemies" & "Foreign Enemies"
Old 12-08-2013, 3:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
Movie "Panic in the Year Zero" mentioned above: A guy driving his car for mountain holiday stops to take in the view below at a mountain lookout: sees a mushroom cloud down below. Now he zooms along looking for small abandoned markets and general stores to load up on food, guns, ammo which he had none of to start with. And some spare gasoline. With which he also plans to douse a wooden bridge after passing through on way to any shelter hidey hole deep in the mountains. Block the road in, hunker down, fight off intruders, survive long enough for the radiation to dissipate below. That is his plan. Ray Milland.
I liked how the CONELRAD radio broadcast mentions a refugee center being set up in Saugus or Newhall (I forget which one) that's in my town! Of course in the early 60s that was out in the sticks.

Anyone else remember the AM car radios with the little conelrad symbols on the station band showing where to tune during a nuclear attack?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just bought Bill Quick's "Lightning Fall" for Kindle yesterday.

75% through with it. Real page turner.

Some pretty obvious political figures are central.

See a review - http://www.qando.net/?p=16365

ETA - just finished - stops at a reasonable point; Kindle says 640-something pages. Second half coming next year.

Couple places where it gets gratuitous with firearms descriptions (not like that's a problem here.)

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 03-24-2014 at 12:25 PM..
Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
Just read "One Second After" the other day. Started in the early afternoon and finished by midnight.

Excellent read, and definitely thought provoking.

Imagine the breakdown of all modern electronics nationwide. No more food distribution, no more medical machinery, no more modern medicine. If you have a life threatening chronic disease like Type 1 Diabetes, once the meds that are keeping you alive are gone, you die.

No water treatment, no waste management, disease spreads rapidly wiping out large portions of the population.

Prisons are now all empty. Convicts who don't care who they have to kill to get a meal are roaming in bands.

No more anti-psychotic drugs. Suicides increase. People who were sane only because of modern chemistry are now raving psychotics.

Read the book.
I too thought One Second After was the best SHTF novel so far.

Very realistic and up to date in terms of the technology.

I'm surprised some Iranian does not use this book as his blueprint to destroy America forever.

Here's what I learned from it --

- keep your watch and don't use your cellphone to replace it with (repaired mine);

- get an old fashioned coffee percolator (got one now);

- make sure you have at least one carbine in your gun collection (bought one);

- store more food;

- don't expect anyone along your bug out route to take you in unless you have special skills that they need.

Last edited by hks95134; 03-24-2014 at 10:51 AM..
Old 03-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun_Owner_901 View Post
Check out The World War Z by Max Brooks, I haven't seen the movie but heard it was crap, the book however was quite a good read.
Not sure how I missed this movie. I love everything that Brad Pitt does.

I'll need to get the DVD.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Maybe "ex-president B.J. Carter" ?

But you're still recommending the book? I ask because I need some more reading...
Old 03-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Just bought Bill Quick's "Lightning Fall" for Kindle yesterday.

75% through with it. Real page turner.

See a review - http://www.qando.net/?p=16365
From the synopsis it sounds like the West Coast version of One Second After.

I'll have to get a copy. Thanks L.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks95134 View Post
I too thought One Second After was the best SHTF novel so far.

Very realistic and up to date in terms of the technology.

I'm surprised some Iranian does not use this book as his blueprint to destroy America forever.
I live in NC and I've been meaning to read this book. I doubt I will find it as realistic as it's fans claim, but maybe it will surprise me. The main problem I have with the an EMP bomb is that, if it is such a good idea, why hasn't it been done already? What is Russia/China waiting for? There must be something about the concept that makes it either a bad idea, or otherwise unworkable. Also a car's metal body is a natural Faraday cage, which is why it protects the occupants from lightning.

http://www.empcommission.org/
http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/08/...s_on_moto.html

I've read "Lucifer's Hammer" by Pournelle and Nivens and I thought that had many realistic elements. As a child, I read books like "My Side of the Mountain" and "The Andromeda Strain", which probably first gave me the prepper mindset.
Veteran Member

Quote:
Not sure how I missed this movie. I love everything that Brad Pitt does.

I'll need to get the DVD.
I'm a Pitt fan as well... and a zombie fan. However I was really disappointed with WWZ.

Anyhow, I went back and read 1984 and Animal Farm since I had never read them in school. Was needing a new book to pick up.

BTW, that review of Lightning Fall really cracked me up... wonder who they are talking about (and really LOL at the name B.J. Carter)......
Quote:
Originally Posted by review
President Millicent Carter isn’t the best person to handle this sort of crisis, despite the keen political acumen and assistance of her husband, ex-president B.J. Carter–who was impeached, but not convicted, in the late 1990s.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL

Dies the Fire is a 2004 alternate history and post-apocalyptic novel written by S. M. Stirling.

In Dies the Fire, S.M. Stirling chronicles the struggle of two groups who try to survive "The Change", a mysterious worldwide event that suddenly alters physical laws so that electricity, gunpowder, and most other forms of high-energy-density technology no longer work. As a result of this, modern civilization comes crashing down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dies_the_Fire
Old 03-24-2014, 11:21 AM

The Road is a good read! I see that you already read it.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:26 AM

Unintended Consequences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
I've read this book a couple times now, I personally believe this is one of the single most important books out there for gun owners to read. I wish that they would do another printing of it. I would like to buy a couple copies of it.
As for all the other suggestions, thank you. I'll have to take a look at them.
$$$$$ Wow, Cheapest I could find was paperback on Amazon for $45.00
plus shipping.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:41 AM

Book 8 of 299 Days is to be releases at the end of the month.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

How about true-life SHTF stories?

Quote:
Sometimes I feel that living in New York City, having a good family and friends, and just being alive is a dream, that perhaps this second life of mine isn’t really happening. Whenever I speak at the United Nations, Unicef or elsewhere to raise awareness of the continual and rampant recruitment of children in wars around the world, I come to realize that I still do not fully understand how I could have possibly survived the civil war in my country, Sierra Leone.

Most of my friends, after meeting the woman whom I think of as my new mother, a Brooklyn-born white Jewish-American, assume that I was either adopted at a very young age or that my mother married an African man. They would never imagine that I was 17 when I came to live with her and that I had been a child soldier and participated in one of the most brutal wars in recent history.

In early 1993, when I was 12, I was separated from my family as the Sierra Leone civil war, which began two years earlier, came into my life. The rebel army, known as the Revolutionary United Front (R.U.F.), attacked my town in the southern part of the country. I ran away, along paths and roads that were littered with dead bodies, some mutilated in ways so horrible that looking at them left a permanent scar on my memory. I ran for days, weeks and months, and I couldn’t believe that the simple and precious world I had known, where nights were celebrated with storytelling and dancing and mornings greeted with the singing of birds and cock crows, was now a place where only guns spoke and sometimes it seemed even the sun hesitated to shine. After I discovered that my parents and two brothers had been killed, I felt even more lost and worthless in a world that had become pregnant with fear and suspicion as neighbor turned against neighbor and child against parent. Surviving each passing minute was nothing short of a miracle.

After almost a year of running, I, along with some friends I met along the way, arrived at an army base in the southeastern region. We thought we were now safe; little did we know what lay ahead.

1994: The First Battle

I have never been so afraid to go anywhere in my life as I was that first day. As we walked into the arms of the forest, tears began to form in my eyes, but I struggled to hide them and gripped my gun for comfort. We exhaled quietly, afraid that our own breathing could cause our deaths. The lieutenant led the line that I was in. He raised his fist in the air, and we stopped moving. Then he slowly brought it down, and we sat on one heel, our eyes surveying the forest. We began to move swiftly among the bushes until we came to the edge of a swamp, where we formed an ambush, aiming our guns into the bog. We lay flat on our stomachs and waited. I was lying next to my friend Josiah. At 11, he was even younger than I was. Musa, a friend my age, 13, was also nearby. I looked around to see if I could catch their eyes, but they were concentrating on the invisible target in the swamp. The tops of my eyes began to ache, and the pain slowly rose up to my head. My ears became warm, and tears were running down my cheeks, even though I wasn’t crying. The veins on my arms stood out, and I could feel them pulsating as if they had begun to breathe of their own accord. We waited in the quiet, as hunters do. The silence tormented me.
The story continues here.
Old 03-24-2014, 1:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbrg View Post
I live in NC and I've been meaning to read this book. I doubt I will find it as realistic as it's fans claim, but maybe it will surprise me. The main problem I have with the an EMP bomb is that, if it is such a good idea, why hasn't it been done already? What is Russia/China waiting for? There must be something about the concept that makes it either a bad idea, or otherwise unworkable. Also a car's metal body is a natural Faraday cage, which is why it protects the occupants from lightning.

I've read "Lucifer's Hammer" by Pournelle and Nivens and I thought that had many realistic elements. As a child, I read books like "My Side of the Mountain" and "The Andromeda Strain", which probably first gave me the prepper mindset.
The author talks about that.

Russia and China are both susceptible to the same thing, so they would not start it. Same as mutually assured destruction from a full nuke attack.

Only a third rate power like North Korea or Iran would have the motivation to use EMP's on the others.
Old 03-24-2014, 1:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddler408 View Post
The Road is a good read! I see that you already read it.
I saw the movie and it is really dark.
Old 03-24-2014, 1:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
I'm a Pitt fan as well... and a zombie fan. However I was really disappointed with WWZ.

Anyhow, I went back and read 1984 and Animal Farm since I had never read them in school. Was needing a new book to pick up.

BTW, that review of Lightning Fall really cracked me up... wonder who they are talking about (and really LOL at the name B.J. Carter)......
I got WWZ at Barnes & Noble during lunch hour, but they did not have Lightning Fall -- must not be in print just in Kindle form.

I'll watch WWZ tonight with popcorn and beer -- chased with tequila.

Spirits always make movies seem a little more realistic.
Old 03-25-2014, 7:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbrg View Post

Quote:
The author talks about that.

Russia and China are both susceptible to the same thing, so they would not start it. Same as mutually assured destruction from a full nuke attack.

Only a third rate power like North Korea or Iran would have the motivation to use EMP's on the others.
Ok, I'll read the book. But I still don't see what would be the advantage of an EMP over a nuclear weapon if they couldn't invade and conquer the territory. A single conventional nuclear warhead would cause much more havoc than a single EMP weapon. A Faraday cage would be useless; if it was not underground, it would be blown up. Also, there would be the nuclear fallout effects that you wouldn't have with an EMP. Katrina, the hurricane, was bad. "Katrina", the nuclear bomb, would have been worse. A single EMP bomb would be probably be more like Katrina the hurricane.

To get the catastrophic SHTF collapse effect from an EMP attack, you would have to carpet bomb the entire continent, including Canada and Mexico, and countries like Iran or North Korea just don't have that capability. I think a lot of people who prep for EMPs don't understand how weak and limited they really are. Test results are summarized in the survival blog link above. Most running vehicles subjected to strong EMPs did not even stop running. Most that did could be immediately restarted. When I read One Second After, I'll just pretend it was a "Carrington Event"-type solar flare instead of a bomb.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:52 AM

For a guilty pleasure read some deathlands or better yet listen to it on graphic audio. Its pulp fiction crap but Im hooked.
Old 03-25-2014, 1:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
(Re: The Road) I saw the movie and it is really dark.
The book is far better...and darker.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785

Last edited by Fate; 03-25-2014 at 1:09 PM..
Old 03-25-2014, 1:58 PM

PROPHETIC is one of the words I used to describe my feelings about Matthew Bracken's book Enemies Foreign and Domestic. I had to go to the front of the book to check the copyright date as what I was reading seemed to be based off of current events. I knew two more books followed, and there was no way that the first could be so recent. Turns out it was published in 2001 I believe! The following two books were better written, and I highly recommend the entire series.
01001001 00100000 01110111 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01001110 01001111 00100000 01001100 01001111 01001110 01000111 01000101 01010010 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01101100 01111001
Old 03-25-2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
I saw the movie and it is really dark.
read the book! it is far better than the movie!
Old 03-25-2014, 3:50 PM
Calguns Addict

I read all of these and can say I picked well with some help from others. I recommend all of these for you guys:

299 Days Series (all books up the new book being released that starts the war)

A new World Series (ALL of the series, up too Conspiracy)

Patriots (his only worth while book IMHO)

EMP; Equipping Modern Patriots.

Theres a few others I missed.

Any other good book series I need to look into?

Old 03-25-2014, 4:42 PM

gone to ground on amazon kindle 99 cents is a great read
Old 03-25-2014, 6:56 PM

phoenix rising....johnstone
Old 03-25-2014, 7:24 PM

Everything man has ever done in this book. Might not be as glitzy as others. But pretty much all you ever need. The Good Book.
Old 03-25-2014, 9:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The Breakers Series by Edward W Robertson.

I got it on a whim for $.99! Now it's $3 but the prices fluctuate often I noticed. An easy read with great pacing and a lot of plot twists.

Old 06-26-2014, 5:32 PM

Default SHTF Books

I've attached a list of SHTF + related and possibly a few not related books from my Kindle library. Some I highly recommend and some are crap. Don't ask me for a review. It is not a complete SHTF library as I have a quite a few hardback and paperback books not listed.

Last edited by LMT4ME; 04-02-2017 at 2:26 PM..