Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-01-2014, 1:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-r View Post
I would recommend rattle-can Rusteoleum for bare steel. Media blast if you have the opportunity. Reason being, you can always touch up the coat wherever you are. Hot dip, while it would look really cool, would require a complete strip and recoat if it was ever chipped or compromised. Might be neat to try it though, post pics if you do. Have not heard of it being done on rifle plates before.
Since I'm not in a "hot zone" I figured it would just be good for long term protection and storage. It's pretty durable, and inside a plate carried should protect it even more. So prolly the only thing that would chip it would be taking actually rounds, in which case corrosion protection it prolly gonna be the least of my worries at that point.

They also make "cold galvanizing" spray paint for recoating compromised areas.

Dunno....it was just a thought. Might just throw them in the batch next time I send some stuff out and let y'all know.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 07-01-2014, 1:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
ANY armor is going to seem heavy after you have worn it for a couple of hours. Add heat, and an hour seems like a week.
I actually seem to notice more when I first put in on. I also have a some chainmail that I wear with a Ren Fair constume sometimes. It weights about 30lbs.....my body armor weighs about 26lbs without water or mags.

After about an hour I seem to acclimate to it and don't really notice it as much. But when I first put either on, it feels like someone is sitting on my chest and making it hard to breath.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 07-01-2014, 11:50 PM

The heat was far worse problem to me than weight in long term use. While there are products such as Cortac to improve ventilation, they also make the armor far less concealable.
Old 07-02-2014, 6:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
After about an hour I seem to acclimate to it and don't really notice it as much. But when I first put either on, it feels like someone is sitting on my chest and making it hard to breath.
Check fit of the plate carrier, I shortened the shoulder straps so the plate is sitting right at the bottom of my throat (there is a pic earlier in the thread regarding proper plate placement I believe) and higher up my back for a more proper fit and the weight seemed more even front to back when I did that.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

How are this side plates??

Level IV ICW 6" x 8" ballistic side plate from PPI. This puppy is a first quality ceramic plate with aramid (Kevlar) backing wrapped in a black cordura for protection from the elements. It is a svelte 3/4" thick, and weighs in at approximately 2.8 lbs.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:40 AM

D-r, the mil a-46100 plates sold by main gun are 95.00 for the pair? It says "pair" on the listing. Seems like a great deal!
Old 07-05-2014, 10:53 PM

Location: One of the several States comprising The United States of America, Unincorporated

I think it would be a great experiment. Please do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
Since I'm not in a "hot zone" I figured it would just be good for long term protection and storage. It's pretty durable, and inside a plate carried should protect it even more. So prolly the only thing that would chip it would be taking actually rounds, in which case corrosion protection it prolly gonna be the least of my worries at that point.

They also make "cold galvanizing" spray paint for recoating compromised areas.

Dunno....it was just a thought. Might just throw them in the batch next time I send some stuff out and let y'all know.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:56 PM

Location: One of the several States comprising The United States of America, Unincorporated

Yes indeed, they are the best deal in town right now. Good steel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjollnir View Post
D-r, the mil a-46100 plates sold by main gun are 95.00 for the pair? It says "pair" on the listing. Seems like a great deal!
Old 07-06-2014, 8:29 AM

Thanks d-r! Your knowledge is greatly appreciated... I've read through this thread more than once over the years, and we are blessed to have your insight
Old 07-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

i just ordered the patriot curved 10x12 plates as well as the side 6x8 plates and all of them will be with line x. Total came to $182. Not bad ... a lot of the cost was in the lining with the liner else it would have been only $110.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:01 PM

D-r, about the Patriot plates: Do you know what they mean by "COAT 2" - is it a 2nd layer of Line-X on the strike face? Is it significantly better for fragmentation protection than a single layer? I don't mind to pay extra but don't want unnecessary thickness or weight.
Old 07-08-2014, 4:39 PM

Leonidamus, they mean do you want 1 plate coated or both( hence the "2").
Old 07-10-2014, 11:59 AM

Just posted my latest shoot test of the Maingun plate and version 4.2.3 spall guard:

https://drmorgear.wordpress.com/2014...patriot-plate/

Note that this is a bare steel plate, and spall was reduced 95%-98% when the guard was used.

Last edited by d-r; 07-10-2014 at 12:04 PM..
Old 07-10-2014, 1:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Just posted my latest shoot test of the Maingun plate and version 4.2.3 spall guard:

https://drmorgear.wordpress.com/2014...patriot-plate/

Note that this is a bare steel plate, and spall was reduced 95%-98% when the guard was used.
I enjoyed the write up! Great proof/reason for the guards.

I've been intrigued for some time now... can we get a hint of what "Project A" and "HardFace Plate Upgrade" will be? Just a hint...

Stay Safe and Shoot Straight.
Old 07-10-2014, 2:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjollnir View Post
Quote:
Yes indeed, they are the best deal in town right now. Good steel!

d-r do you happen to know what the weight on these plates is?
I do not see it listed on the link on your blog.
Old 07-10-2014, 3:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Last big gun show in this area I had a little money and decided some armor would be good preventive medicine. If it can reduce my odds of not bleeding out before 911 arrives and my opponent isn't so lucky, that sounds like a good investment to me.

The vendor was Trevor Pearson at Tactical Armed Citizen. I purchased the full front, full back (curved) and two side plates plus carrier - $300. Level III protection, the rig assembled weighs around 20 lbs. I have a couple of pistol mag pouches on it right now and am looking for a molle attachement holster for an XD (found several, trying to decide which I like best). My chosen role for this rig is checking out a nighttime "noise" of undetermined origin, hence it is set up for pistol as primary. If I ever get my Blackout .300 AR pistol finished I'll switch over to that system. If I really, really think it's a bad guy in the house... screw that, I can sit and wait for 911 to show up, let them do the checking.

I think TAC used to have a web site but I'm not able to access it at the moment. Here's a video of some of their product (not my video).

Youtube Video Product Presentation: TAC Steel Plate - Level 4
Old 07-10-2014, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97F1504RAD View Post
d-r do you happen to know what the weight on these plates is?
I do not see it listed on the link on your blog.
7.9 lbs for mine.
Old 07-10-2014, 5:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomedic View Post
How are this side plates??

Level IV ICW 6" x 8" ballistic side plate from PPI. This puppy is a first quality ceramic plate with aramid (Kevlar) backing wrapped in a black cordura for protection from the elements. It is a svelte 3/4" thick, and weighs in at approximately 2.8 lbs.

I have those exact plates. I took them out of my IBA since it made it very heavy.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Can someone explain to me what a single curve and multi curve in a ceramic plate are? I think I understand it but would like to be sure.
Old 07-11-2014, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Can someone explain to me what a single curve and multi curve in a ceramic plate are? I think I understand it but would like to be sure.
Single curve plates have only single axis curvature, usually along the vertical axis (think of a barrel). Multi-curve plates are more ergonomically shaped, and usually are curved in both horizontal and vertical axes. With steel plates, single curve is usually all that can be produced without causing cracking of the steel. UHMWPE and Ceramic plates can be shaped more easily by moulding and custom tile contours.

Hope that helped.
Old 07-11-2014, 7:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Single curve plates have only single axis curvature, usually along the vertical axis (think of a barrel). Multi-curve plates are more ergonomically shaped, and usually are curved in both horizontal and vertical axes. With steel plates, single curve is usually all that can be produced without causing cracking of the steel. UHMWPE and Ceramic plates can be shaped more easily by moulding and custom tile contours.

Hope that helped.
Yep that is what I thought they were, and thank you for all the work and information as well as the links on your blog.
Old 07-12-2014, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Yep that is what I thought they were, and thank you for all the work and information as well as the links on your blog.
You are very welcome. Glad you like the links!
Old 07-17-2014, 2:43 PM
Calguns Addict

I have another question, I see where some guys have purchased Level IV stand alone plates yet they are also wearing level III backers with them what is the advantage to doing this, the downside is extra weight and bulk added to carrier.
Old 07-18-2014, 8:27 AM

I advocate wearing backers regardless of the plate. The extra backface deformation protection is worth it. Plus, the total package is more versatile, as you can run just the backers in a scenario where rifle rounds are not expected. The extra weight and bulk are minimal (extra couple pounds, less than half inch thickness).

Quote:
I have another question, I see where some guys have purchased Level IV stand alone plates yet they are also wearing level III backers with them what is the advantage to doing this, the downside is extra weight and bulk added to carrier.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 PM

hey d-r...was wondering what you thought about the Velocity Lightweight Special Threat Multi-Hit

http://store.appalachiantraining.com...ode=VS-PBZ-MED

it looks like it's ceramic, but can take multi-hit 7.62 x 39 AP. Yea, it's pretty pricey...but it seems like to be the best of both worlds? (multi-hit 7.62 AP, multi-hit M855, and LIGHT at 3.9 lbs for Medium plates)

also says you have to use "In-conjunction with soft armor model VS-13A"
Old 07-28-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Spall protection for one. Not all plates have an adequate spall liner.
Old 07-29-2014, 6:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue View Post
If the backers were being worn for spall protection they would be worn in front of the plate not as a backer correct?

Last edited by 97F1504RAD; 07-29-2014 at 6:35 AM..
Old 07-29-2014, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

Anyone handle the stuff the target man offers from spartan armor (vendor here)

Level III. 3lbs per plate. Multi hit rated. They shot it 6 times with 308 @ 50 feet and it held up. Pricey but super light. 500 for the pair. So $250 per plate.

Made from some sorta crazy plastic. Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene that floats in water.

There's also some composite level IV stuff. But I think this stuff is as heavy as the ar500 plates.

Last edited by xxINKxx; 07-29-2014 at 9:27 AM..
Old 07-30-2014, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el scorcho View Post
hey d-r...was wondering what you thought about the Velocity Lightweight Special Threat Multi-Hit

http://store.appalachiantraining.com...ode=VS-PBZ-MED

it looks like it's ceramic, but can take multi-hit 7.62 x 39 AP. Yea, it's pretty pricey...but it seems like to be the best of both worlds? (multi-hit 7.62 AP, multi-hit M855, and LIGHT at 3.9 lbs for Medium plates)

also says you have to use "In-conjunction with soft armor model VS-13A"
Those are excellent plates, I am really liking the Midwest FM STX for similar price point and protection levels. Weight is a little higher (but not much):

http://www.midwestarmor.com/body-armor/venture-fm-stx
Old 07-30-2014, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue View Post
Incorrect. If you put plate backers in front of your plates, you will not receive any benefit. They are designed to go behind the plates to stop projectiles traveling perpendicular to the face of the plate, not stop fragments traveling parallel to the strike face.

If you need spall protection, look into one of the three current methods (coating, slip-on guards, picture frame method).
Old 07-30-2014, 7:58 PM

Quote:
If the backers were being worn for spall protection they would be worn in front of the plate not as a backer correct?
You would simply ruin the backer and still have spall in your face. Backers in back, fronters in front.
Old 07-30-2014, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxINKxx View Post
Anyone handle the stuff the target man offers from spartan armor (vendor here)

Level III. 3lbs per plate. Multi hit rated. They shot it 6 times with 308 @ 50 feet and it held up. Pricey but super light. 500 for the pair. So $250 per plate.

Made from some sorta crazy plastic. Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene that floats in water.

There's also some composite level IV stuff. But I think this stuff is as heavy as the ar500 plates.
That is a decent price for a poly plate. The Midwest FM 3 still beats it by almost 2 lb., but you do pay more for it. UHMWPE, as mentioned, has heat issues and most poly plates will not stop M855 (the FM3+ that Midwest just came out with will, however).
Old 07-30-2014, 8:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You would simply ruin the backer and still have spall in your face. Backers in back, fronters in front.

OK that was my thoughts it did not make much sense to me when I read it.
Old 07-30-2014, 9:04 PM

http://www.policeone.com/police-prod...r-under-armor/

Saw this on PoliceOne.com today, some sort of body armor insulation to reduce heat buildup inside. $69.99 per piece, might pick up one later to test the performance...
Old 07-30-2014, 9:51 PM

What is the weight of one of the curved patriot plates?
Old 07-31-2014, 6:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbar View Post
What is the weight of one of the curved patriot plates?
7.9lbs
Old 08-08-2014, 1:11 PM

Guy I know is offering to sell a set of velocity systems ULV plates for $600. This seems to be too good of a deal. Any issues with them? They're steel so it's not like they can be broken right?
Old 08-08-2014, 2:06 PM

This article doesn't cover any technical details regarding armor, but it does touch on the potential future legality of it.

http://www.guns.com/2014/08/08/congr...-to-civilians/
Old 08-08-2014, 2:52 PM

The goal of this bill is to stop all armor that is able to defeat "law enforcement ammunition." I will ignore WTF is law enforcement ammunition, and stay on point. LVL IIIA is able to stop just about every pistol round there is. Most Law enforcement uses 9mm, and everything in current production can stop that. Even IIA (the worst armor in regards to stopping power) can stop 40s and 45ACP.

So... what is the point of this bill again?

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
-Gandhi

Last edited by arslin; 08-08-2014 at 3:02 PM..
Old 08-09-2014, 8:37 AM

Great thread! Lots of good info...

To make sure I understand, the general rule of thought is:

All around set-up:

Carrier with plates, backers and spall mitigation - can be worn with with just backers or complete

Plates - L3,L3+,L4 depending on need and desire
- materials, steels, ceramics and UHMWPE all good with pro/cons for each
- Line-X coating on steel plates (as example) works as spall mitigation along as well as corrosion (to be used in conjuction with additional spall mitigation such as backers)

Backers - L3A (best option)
- Materials - avoid all except woven aramids (kevlar etc)

Am I missing anything - on the basic level? Is this something that would be good and versatile for nearly all situations as it is adaptable?

Last question - backers ran alone - just as effective as soft armor vest (given same level pro?)