Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

View Poll Results: Is this interesting? Would you like more like this?
This is awesome...bring it on 140 66.67%
I'll read it but wont participate 34 16.19%
Eeh...too much effort and Scooby Doo is on 36 17.14%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2011, 8:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Default apples and oranges or maybe condo and farms

Got it; didn't mean to be a hard *** either. I am a "L&O" kind of person and think its best if everyone abides by at least the rules of right and wrong. Yes I think many of the cities of the Central Valley could manage. I know the smaller one's would have a good chance. In fact I could see my old home town looking at the situation and going....crap...we best get things in order before "they" all get here.

We have orchards, row crops, and rivers to feed us here. The only reason I'd leave is because I also have good property in Nevada to go too. A place where I'd honestly expect to live out the days in relative solitude. I have no doubts few would make it that deep into the wilderness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWeiss View Post
Now I see where you are coming from and to me your responses make much more sense. Sorry for being an ***. If I were in a community that had a chance of staying cohesive I would put every resource I had available into maintaining that order. I am convinced that small, cohesive and self sustaining communities are the only thing that will survive any SHTF scenario.

But in a concentrated urban center like SF or LA there is no benefit to playing that game. Being a city boy, this is where im coming from. If you EMPed LA the chaos three days later would be like nothing the world has seen before, I would beg, borrow and steal to escape that before it started.

According to the US DOT %80 of Americans live in urban areas (%87 of California according to US census). I would guess a large proportion would stay put to protect their property and await help. Sure the preppers would bug out but a certain percentage would also give up, leave, and cause problems for people in near by rural areas.

Of that remaining %20 that is rural how many are actually self sufficient in terms of water/food? My point being that having an apricot farm is helpful but in the local community is there enough variety of crops to have a healthy diet.

Which brings up another issue. All American farms depend on machines to be productive both irrigation and crop tending. With those disabled even living in what was once a self sufficient community might not be enough.

This is where I got that %95 number from.
Old 07-08-2011, 9:43 PM

I stopped reading after about post 50 or so...... What would I do? Since I am just beginning to learn/prepare for these types of situations I would first come home and make sure my family is safe. We have enough food to last a few days. But since I have a wife and 2 very young boys I would try and hook up with someone that was more prepared than I am and offer my services as a bilingual former army medic (if that's worth anything) I have several guns and a decent amount of cash. All I ask is that my family is taken care of. I can be nightguard whatever. As long as my wife and boys have food and water all I need is a bag a soup a day and it's a even trade in my eyes.
Old 07-09-2011, 5:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Salida

I know your area quite well. You could head out in the morning and knock on the doors of a few local farmers and offer medical assistance and other services in exchange for gathering food. You can walk to a lot of farmland in that area. If you discover a farmer and develop a good rapor you might ask to use some land to plant vegetables if you don't have enough room at home. You really should have no trouble accumulating food. I store enough to get me 120 days if I should stay (which is highly doubtful since i have a great place to go). Still if I choose to stay I have enough to last 120 days and know I can plant ever 3 days on my lot and start having fresh veggies by the time my food runs out.

If you have interest in a low key Mutual Aid Group let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 whiskey 209 View Post
I stopped reading after about post 50 or so...... What would I do? Since I am just beginning to learn/prepare for these types of situations I would first come home and make sure my family is safe. We have enough food to last a few days. But since I have a wife and 2 very young boys I would try and hook up with someone that was more prepared than I am and offer my services as a bilingual former army medic (if that's worth anything) I have several guns and a decent amount of cash. All I ask is that my family is taken care of. I can be nightguard whatever. As long as my wife and boys have food and water all I need is a bag a soup a day and it's a even trade in my eyes.
Old 07-09-2011, 6:15 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Even if you don't have room for an outside garden why not start to stock up on some basics now so that you won't have to go and ask for food. The reason I prep is for my children. If it was just me that would be a different story. You can stockpile food behind couches, in closets, every little nook and cranny in your house/apartment that food can be stored. There is a wealth of information on the internet to get you on the right road now. If it was me then I would be too nervous about your plan and would not want to leave my family in a predicament relying on others to feed them even if I was trading services.
Old 07-09-2011, 6:21 AM
CGN Contributor

RIPON83 - I know you indicate that you can go to your place in Nevada but how do you know that somebody won't already be there when you get there? I have been thinking of buying land somewhere deep in the mountains in an unpopulated area but unless you have family or friends there to protect it how do you know it will really be waiting for you? I would love to hear from others that have this as their plan.

One way I would think would be to bury some ocean cargo containers underground a few feet and then fill them with supplies so they are undetectable but it someone has a metal detector I think it would be game over. Anyway I am interested in all ideas from everyone on this topic.
Old 07-09-2011, 7:45 AM

Good morning everyone. I didn't mean to imply that we are completely unprepared for a situation like this. Simply that I am not as prepared as some of you with second homes in different states and/or business that are easier to setup defensive positions from. I'm just a normal guy with a family living in a small city surrounded by farmland. I believe I am more prepared than most but definatly not as prepared as u guys. I believe that after several days groups of guys will get together and either try and maintain social order while gathering food OR become very aggressive and seek out those that seem to have food or anything else they might want. I by myself cannot defend my family from a group of armed men (assuming they know what they are doing) coming to take my stuff. At least not for a sustained period of time. Unfortunately that's my situation- until I can get that bomb shelter.
Old 07-09-2011, 7:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Hartref,

I am certain beyond all doubt our property in Nevada would not be occupied - particularly in this situation (EMP). Its that remote. Closest road is Highway 95 and its 12 miles off that with nothing but off road, foot or horse trails to follow. Even if someone got to the 12 mile point - its goes 12 miles deeper. If someone managed to get there I'd likely welcome them since its clear they are prepared to have done so.
Old 07-09-2011, 8:27 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripon83 View Post
Hartref,

I am certain beyond all doubt our property in Nevada would not be occupied - particularly in this situation (EMP). Its that remote. Closest road is Highway 95 and its 12 miles off that with nothing but off road, foot or horse trails to follow. Even if someone got to the 12 mile point - its goes 12 miles deeper. If someone managed to get there I'd likely welcome them since its clear they are prepared to have done so.
Well done Ripon83. I hope to find a setup like that one day. Northern Nevada has been on my list of places to go look at that would be close enough from Southern California to reach. With something so remote how would one stock up their place? I am thinking perhaps a helicopter drop?
Old 07-09-2011, 8:30 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Good morning everyone. I didn't mean to imply that we are completely unprepared for a situation like this. Simply that I am not as prepared as some of you with second homes in different states and/or business that are easier to setup defensive positions from. I'm just a normal guy with a family living in a small city surrounded by farmland. I believe I am more prepared than most but definatly not as prepared as u guys. I believe that after several days groups of guys will get together and either try and maintain social order while gathering food OR become very aggressive and seek out those that seem to have food or anything else they might want. I by myself cannot defend my family from a group of armed men (assuming they know what they are doing) coming to take my stuff. At least not for a sustained period of time. Unfortunately that's my situation- until I can get that bomb shelter.
Hi - I am just a normal person too that is trying to become better prepared. I live in a surburban location so just trying to do my best to be as prepared as possible for my family. I would try and be as covert as possible and try and make my family look as desperate as others to not raise suspicion but that can only happen for so long. I need to develop a longer long term plan. Still working on that.
Old 07-09-2011, 9:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Well we use horses to carry in what we've wanted which of course has limits. The terrain is not steep so pick ups will get you around quite well. We looked at it like water, food, shelter, defense.....it's pretty basic and even by horseback you can cover those basis. If you decide on property just hold out for one with some surface water. A creek or spring is huge, but if you find an ideal spot with out water know it's probably underground and drill able.

I'd stay North of highway 80
Old 07-09-2011, 4:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Best sit on them a while, or LE will lay claim to them for the betterment of society - just saying.
Its good to know your neighbors
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 07-09-2011, 6:01 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Well we use horses to carry in what we've wanted which of course has limits. The terrain is not steep so pick ups will get you around quite well. We looked at it like water, food, shelter, defense.....it's pretty basic and even by horseback you can cover those basis. If you decide on property just hold out for one with some surface water. A creek or spring is huge, but if you find an ideal spot with out water know it's probably underground and drill able.

I'd stay North of highway 80
Thanks for the information Ripon83. Appreciate it.
Old 07-09-2011, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

The piston engine Cessna doesn't have any engine electronics, his ignition is a magneto, his fuel pump is mechanical. I'm sure all his electronics would be fried, but the airplane itself would keep running.
"Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."
Old 07-10-2011, 10:57 AM

Well folks, it's been a week since the EMP deely-bopper thingamajig went off. Now what's happening? Did the neighbors eat their dogs yet?

At the end of week 1, I am stuck here in feral zombietown and the city is burning and a heavy pall of smoke, like what I saw in the 92 riots is hanging over the basin burning eyes and lungs when one goes outside. The freeways and surface streets are blocked with inoperable cars. Lots of gunfire....sounds like the 4th of July every night. I've not fired a round nor hardly left my yard except to pedal up to a high vantage point with a spotting scope to check out the situation. The looting and arson is crazy, but still mostly restricted to lower-income and commercial areas(?). Del Amo Mall, Redondo Beach Galleria and all the local grocery stores are all burnt to the ground now. Pacific Coast Hwy through the Beach Cities is burning as is Long Beach and San Pedro-can't see any farther than those places even when the onshore flow clears the smoke. I'm ok with provisions...no need to go anywhere. I've been sleeping and lounging around a lot-conserves energy and I'll need it. Been keeping some of the garden plants alive with a hand waterer, to save next years seed rather then actually getting any sustenance especially as i fooked up and kinda let my garden go this year. The nights are pitch black..no nightglow from the city except for the dull red on the smoke where the fires are burning. That same smoke blown out from the inland areas to the coast further darkens the night. I have a PVS-14 and weapons mount thermal imager. I rode a fat tire mountain bike down to a permanent water source at night- its only a quarter mile away- I've practised driving and pedaling with NV- it was a lot more fun when I was young and invulnerable (i mean, stupid). I filled two 5 gallon buckets of water for the stuff in the garden that I want to collect seed from. It looks like folks are staying inside. I've seen some candles burning in the odd window here and there and a few jittery flashlight beams but otherwise its just pitch black at night.

I'm thinking about caching some of my provisions in the neighborhood now that folks are beginning to flee. My place is flame resistant and defensible but not that flame resistant and defensible. If I get burnt out I might be running, gunning and sleeping in different places each night...preferably eating the people who burnt my house down. How hard would it be to bury a five gallon pail of provisions here, there or everywhere in an abandoned back yard? I have a gasoline powered hammer drill and a bull point. I could break up thin concrete and pile rubble here or there or loot the local Home Depot for cinderblock and stuff...I still have my 60s era truck running with some gas in the tank and my local roads are passable for a couple of miles. Could I hide stuff in rubble piles if need be? Nothing in my neighborhood has burnt yet.

50% + folks are still hunkering down but there is some serious panicking and a lot of my neighbors are freaking out. Some are trying to form committees to help out but this is a high stakes poker game and I ain't tipping my hand with my preps- there's a lot of "what's yours should be mine" attitude in the air. I'll pretend to join in with a sacrificial pail of Costo crap...you know, that 75 day food supply that's only 75 days if you live on less than 300 calories a day?? I have to make plans to have my cupboards and pantry appear empty in case folks start going house to house...maybe I'll leave a few sacrificial cans of stuff or a half a box of oatmeal...just to make it look like I really am a survivalist dude but am now running low myself. It's gonna take a lot of deceit to survive this crap. I turned off my surveillance cameras after dark because the dull red glow from the LED illuminators would give away the fact that I still have electricity courtesy of a Xantrex ProSine that was kept in a Steel Box. I'm making lots of hot water by day and am trying to distill greywater to conserve.

The neighborhood dogs are miserable. People are the ones eating dog food now and some of the dogs are starving. I have a month of food left for my dogs. Three of them will consume whole squirrels or rats if I can get them. One routinely digs up grubs and eats them. They eat seed as well. I turned my parakeets loose...I didn't have the heart to kill them. They just flew off and I never saw them again. I'll save the millet and buckwheat and oats for planting. That bird seed sprouts like crazy when I toss it on the compost heap and its all edible for humans and dogs too.

There's a lot of squawking over the airwaves too... all sorts of deranged end timers yammering about Revelations and 2012 and crap but precious little useful stuff. I've been getting a crash course in DXing these last few evenings (hint preppers-learn to use your shortwave radio ahead of time).

Well fellow Calgunners, how's your second week going? Those of you who unlike me, know how to use your shortwave radios, what've you heard about the world these last few evenings?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

We had to resort to eating the 2 parakeets that flew into our yard, but other than that, not too bad.

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 07-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Default road warrior

My second week will be on the bikes. I'd like to think I could use an ounce of gold to procure a running old pick up, but I won't hold my breath. My wife and I will be peddling with bike trailers in tow. I'll have an AR, some magazines and about 300 rounds, she'll have a 357 lever and pistol to match. I'll leave the 1911 behind and take another 357. Well strap a 10/22 to one of the bikes or bike trailers and have a brick of that stuff handy. We'll probably take about 450 rounds of 357. Most of the balance of our trailers and packs is first aid, food, clothes and water. We just have to get where we are going. We wait to what we believe is 4 or 5 hours after dark to move. As soon as we see the sun comming up we look for a place to hunker down....I'm hoping for 20 miles a night. It'll take us 21 nights to get where I gotta go - where I got everything I'll need. If we can make 30 miles a night we can cut it down big time.....but I'm kind of focused on how to get around Reno right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
Well folks, it's been a week since the EMP deely-bopper thingamajig went off. Now what's happening? Did the neighbors eat their dogs yet?

At the end of week 1, I am stuck here in feral zombietown and the city is burning and a heavy pall of smoke, like what I saw in the 92 riots is hanging over the basin burning eyes and lungs when one goes outside. The freeways and surface streets are blocked with inoperable cars. Lots of gunfire....sounds like the 4th of July every night. I've not fired a round nor hardly left my yard except to pedal up to a high vantage point with a spotting scope to check out the situation. The looting and arson is crazy, but still mostly restricted to lower-income and commercial areas(?). Del Amo Mall, Redondo Beach Galleria and all the local grocery stores are all burnt to the ground now. Pacific Coast Hwy through the Beach Cities is burning as is Long Beach and San Pedro-can't see any farther than those places even when the onshore flow clears the smoke. I'm ok with provisions...no need to go anywhere. I've been sleeping and lounging around a lot-conserves energy and I'll need it. Been keeping some of the garden plants alive with a hand waterer, to save next years seed rather then actually getting any sustenance especially as i fooked up and kinda let my garden go this year. The nights are pitch black..no nightglow from the city except for the dull red on the smoke where the fires are burning. That same smoke blown out from the inland areas to the coast further darkens the night. I have a PVS-14 and weapons mount thermal imager. I rode a fat tire mountain bike down to a permanent water source at night- its only a quarter mile away- I've practised driving and pedaling with NV- it was a lot more fun when I was young and invulnerable (i mean, stupid). I filled two 5 gallon buckets of water for the stuff in the garden that I want to collect seed from. It looks like folks are staying inside. I've seen some candles burning in the odd window here and there and a few jittery flashlight beams but otherwise its just pitch black at night.

I'm thinking about caching some of my provisions in the neighborhood now that folks are beginning to flee. My place is flame resistant and defensible but not that flame resistant and defensible. If I get burnt out I might be running, gunning and sleeping in different places each night...preferably eating the people who burnt my house down. How hard would it be to bury a five gallon pail of provisions here, there or everywhere in an abandoned back yard? I have a gasoline powered hammer drill and a bull point. I could break up thin concrete and pile rubble here or there or loot the local Home Depot for cinderblock and stuff...I still have my 60s era truck running with some gas in the tank and my local roads are passable for a couple of miles. Could I hide stuff in rubble piles if need be? Nothing in my neighborhood has burnt yet.

50% + folks are still hunkering down but there is some serious panicking and a lot of my neighbors are freaking out. Some are trying to form committees to help out but this is a high stakes poker game and I ain't tipping my hand with my preps- there's a lot of "what's yours should be mine" attitude in the air. I'll pretend to join in with a sacrificial pail of Costo crap...you know, that 75 day food supply that's only 75 days if you live on less than 300 calories a day?? I have to make plans to have my cupboards and pantry appear empty in case folks start going house to house...maybe I'll leave a few sacrificial cans of stuff or a half a box of oatmeal...just to make it look like I really am a survivalist dude but am now running low myself. It's gonna take a lot of deceit to survive this crap. I turned off my surveillance cameras after dark because the dull red glow from the LED illuminators would give away the fact that I still have electricity courtesy of a Xantrex ProSine that was kept in a Steel Box. I'm making lots of hot water by day and am trying to distill greywater to conserve.

The neighborhood dogs are miserable. People are the ones eating dog food now and some of the dogs are starving. I have a month of food left for my dogs. Three of them will consume whole squirrels or rats if I can get them. One routinely digs up grubs and eats them. They eat seed as well. I turned my parakeets loose...I didn't have the heart to kill them. They just flew off and I never saw them again. I'll save the millet and buckwheat and oats for planting. That bird seed sprouts like crazy when I toss it on the compost heap and its all edible for humans and dogs too.

There's a lot of squawking over the airwaves too... all sorts of deranged end timers yammering about Revelations and 2012 and crap but precious little useful stuff. I've been getting a crash course in DXing these last few evenings (hint preppers-learn to use your shortwave radio ahead of time).

Well fellow Calgunners, how's your second week going? Those of you who unlike me, know how to use your shortwave radios, what've you heard about the world these last few evenings?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
We had to resort to eating the 2 parakeets that flew into our yard, but other than that, not too bad.
awright. Who ate the third one?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Several police officers I know would soon knock on my door. A band of mauraders is killing shop owners and taking their stuff. Will you help? Of course because I'm that kind of person. Together with a neighbor across the street a seasoned Iraqi vet and others recruited by the police we head out on bikes. AR's, magazines, and we track down the mauraders. From a sincere distance of 250/300 yards we demand they give themselves up, and a few seconds later (assuming you didn't) we open fire. Mauraders dead. Anyone that would take onto a horrible situation with immediate violence for their personal gain at the detriment of society is worthy of being hunted down and destroyed. Someone like that will bring out community together immediately for the good.
Really? Interesting. Honestly, if I was "active" I wouldn't show I was a LEO. I think in LA, most gang members will use it as an excuse to take out LEO's. I honestly think they will be hunted. Sad part is, your out numbered. Most LEO's that have a family will be home, getting a plan together. Not protecting the neighborhood stop and rob.

Like someone posted a few pages before. The real scenario is, you go into Walmart, there are fights, shots fired, people running in and out. Shelf's' getting bare. There will be no "get a note pad, right down what I owe, and here is my cash". It will be only the strong survive.

For those in diapers when this happen or just forgot. This may help you remember the 1992 riots in L.A! I remember working during this time. The guy I worked for brought a 12 guage with us that day while we were out working. This is real stuff here!!

Police leaving riot. Out numbered.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TELe...eature=related

Employees didn't stick around with note pads and "take orders".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omg1dsTWa3o

Driver attacked for driving.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw2pRnBgeBU

Stores now empty after people took what they needed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcPrt57EXRk

Police no longer stay to help, they just leave. Yes, LAPD!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3mjT...eature=related

Last edited by jeep7081; 07-10-2011 at 1:12 PM..
Old 07-10-2011, 1:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Glad I don't live in LA.....or any where near it.
Old 07-10-2011, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Glad I don't live in LA.....or any where near it.
Agree. Me neither. I was about 1-2hrs away at the time.
Old 07-10-2011, 6:22 PM
CGN Contributor

I worked in West LA during the riots. I remember it took 3 hours to get home that night and I followed the ocean being that the safer areas usually border the ocean. They never made it to the area I was living in but they got close and some were stopped on Hawthorne Boulevard. I was quite young at the time so I was not truly aware of the danger and then decided to go back to work the next day as I thought this was pretty exciting stuff. Would I do that now? NO!!!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 6:44 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Chaparral - You need to write a book one day. Very interesting write up.

In my land, it is the second week and I am bugging in with my family and keeping a low profile. I have gone and talked to all of my neighbors to see how they are holding up and to try and talk to them about possibly sealing off our road from through traffic by pushing all inoperable cars to the cross streets. Most think help is coming any time. Nobody is eating dogs in my area to my knowledge.

I have started on building an outhouse in my backyard at the far end of the property and getting the jump on my garden. I have seeds stored away so I will bring them out and see what I can plant. I am starting to sprout some beans so we have some type of fresh vegetable.

We are well situated on water and food at the time being. We don't have anywhere else to go at the time so we are going to stay put for the time being. I have tried to bury some of our supplies in areas in my yard (which is quite large and rocky). We have enough food for quite some time but water may be an issue after a few weeks.

My husband keeps watch at night and sleeps during the day. We have strung up tin cans around our perimeter as alarms. We hear people at night but with our dogs barking they keep on moving.

Will have husband start to board up any windows on the first floor that we can with the plywood we have in stock.

Since husband never finished his HAM class we don't have a HAM radio and I am telling him just how disappointed I am with this issue.

Husband takes a walk around our area and climbs hill to see what he can see off in the distance.

The weather is very hot here without AC so we are trying to stay cool. I am suffering severe withdrawals from Calguns and my other internet sites.

Wishing I had a retreat place already established so we would have somewhere to go. Hoping that it won't be necessary to leave but knowing that one day we will need to.
Old 07-10-2011, 6:48 PM

Great thread, been talking about it all day!
Old 07-10-2011, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081 View Post
Great thread, been talking about it all day!

Glad you like it. I got at least two more coming soon. The challenge is not to have an event that causes a similiar response

Last edited by TheChief; 07-10-2011 at 9:39 PM..
Old 07-11-2011, 4:17 PM
Calguns Addict

It is a good thread. I know the camping community probably hates this stuff in the forum, but hopefully they can be tolerant. Life could be worse then clicking on "what if" forums that we pray never happen.

From this one I learned to bail out earlier then 7 days....probably at 3 to 5.
Old 07-11-2011, 6:05 PM

Default Scenario 2 Posted

New Scenario Posted

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=454475
Old 07-11-2011, 6:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
awright. Who ate the third one?
She's fine. A bit talkative, though.

She arrived yammering about some dogs she knew that eat birdseed. I was going to conk her, but then she started squawking about brewing a decent wort using grass clippings and dandelions. I have been feeding her some crumbs of dried out hamburger and she is looking well.

The past week here in the rural valley has been quiet. Very quiet. About two days after everything quit, there were several groups of people in beater vehicles passing by on the road heading east toward the Sierra foothills which begin about a mile away. I don't know where they were headed, but they seemed to be fairly well organized.

There were also a few small groups. One pair appeared to be a young husband and wife. They were riding expensive-looking bicycles loaded down with gear and stopped out by the mailboxes. They argued for a good 20 minutes and appeared to be ready to go for each others' throats when the guy saddled up and took off, also toward the hills. She followed a minute later.

Another group stopped. They were in an old pickup and on a 9N tractor pulling a hay wagon. I kid you not. Tattooed and packing. I assume they were looking for a store or other easy pickings to loot. No stores here. After talking in a huddle for a few minutes, they turned around and headed back toward the highway.

Other than the few visitors, there has been virtually no traffic on the main road. The nights are completely dark, with the only noises coming from the neighbors' animals, which we are used to. I have spoken with the neighbor behind me on a few occasions. He is not a "prepper", but can grow an impressive garden and has an outlook on life that is probably 100 years out of date...but very fitting right now.

The other neighbor is beginning to worry me. He has 4 kids at home and I think they are running out of food. He and his wife have been arguing loudly, but I really don't know what they are saying, because she speaks very little english. I expect they will be making a run - somewhere - very soon.

We are doing OK here, the three of us, plus the 5 little dogs and that damned parakeet. We made sure to make use of the perishable food first, and still have a month or so worth of canned food in the pantry. The generator started and ran fine after the pulse, and helped extend the refrigeration for a few days. I am trying to conserve the fuel, so only run it for brief periods. Its main work is running the well pump to fill buckets and jugs. There is still a week's worth of fuel for it, plus whatever I can siphon from the dead vehicles. I am working on a drop bucket to retrieve water manually from the well, but still have 150 gallons in reserve stored in barrels.

The solar array is still producing power and the charge controller is working, but the inverter won't turn on. I pulled the vehicle batteries from the car, truck and van and connected them, so we have a good source of 12VDC. I have been building cables to power various devices such as improvised lights and the scanners. There is nothing on the radio but static, though.

I know at some point, we will likely need to move out and I am not sure how we will do it. I probably need to obtain a pre-ECM vehicle before there are none to be found. Maybe I can barter some ammo for one.

There is a large, growing pall of smoke to the south, which I assume is coming from the Sacramento area. I am grateful to be located "in the sticks", but have the feeling the masses will be arriving here soon.
Old 07-11-2011, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
For those of you listing books that like this post apocalyptic survival genre like I do (in no order and some better than others):

-dies the fire (many book series)
-The Road
-the postman
-ill wind
-earth abides
-future eden (3 book series)
-eternity road
-natures end
-a gift upon the shore
-the new madrid run
-on the beach
-alas, babylon
-omega man
-the day after tomorrow
-canticle for leibowitz
-the last ship
-one second after
In addition there are:

-Lucifer's Hammer
-Death Lands Series
-Life As We Knew It (Book 1), The Dead and The Gone (Book 2), and The World That We Live In (Book 3)
-The Stand
-The Walk
-American Apocalypse: The Collapse Begins
-Without Warning

And there are lots more I am finding.

I have read most of these books but my favorites are the first ones I read which are:

-Earth Abides
-Alas, Babylon
-Lucifer's Hammer
Old 07-11-2011, 7:53 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
In addition there are:

-Lucifer's Hammer
-Death Lands Series
-Life As We Knew It (Book 1), The Dead and The Gone (Book 2), and The World That We Live In (Book 3)
-The Stand
-The Walk
-American Apocalypse: The Collapse Begins
-Without Warning

And there are lots more I am finding.

I have read most of these books but my favorites are the first ones I read which are:

-Earth Abides
-Alas, Babylon
-Lucifer's Hammer
Thanks for this post.
Old 07-11-2011, 8:20 PM

I liked Preppers Road March, it was a fast read and enjoyable
Product Description from Amazon
A solar storm has just hit the world causing a EMP event. A emergency manager visiting Atlanta GA must find his way back home after this electromagnetic pulse has stranded him away from his vehicle and his beloved "bug out bag". With 180 miles to go to his destination, David must let his street smarts and survival skills kick in as food and water becomes scarce and societal breakdown proceeds at an unrelenting pace. An interesting and often funny cast of characters from the Deep South helps the displaced Prepper on his way, as he shares his knowledge of how to make do with common items in order to live another day. Ultimately, he acquires an old tractor and heads for home on a car-littered interstate. This is book one of the Prepper Trilogy.
Old 07-13-2011, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by displaced-one View Post
I liked Preppers Road March, it was a fast read and enjoyable
And only available on the Kindle...
Old 07-13-2011, 8:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8shutr View Post
So the scenario is:
Large EMP just took out all electronics nationwide....
Hey, if I can't watch my "Leave It To Beaver" re-runs I'll be kick'n some butt and I mean BIG TIME!!
Old 07-13-2011, 8:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
By Friday I pack the bug out by bike gear after eating big all week and head for Nevada leaving about 4 am and settling at my first stop out bt 7 am. We'd travel from 1 am to 7 am there after and arrive at the property in 10 days.
Believe me, somebody would pick you off LONG before you ever got to the Nevada border. With just two of you travelling you'd be easy targets.
Old 07-13-2011, 8:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Pretty much no vehicles and if you have an old one and are prepared with disconnected electronics a govt type will be trying to confiscate it for " emergency " use asap.
You'd have to have the good sense to shoot the SOB as soon as he identified himself as a government agent. It won't be a good time for people who can't take decisive action to protect themselves and their loved ones. Anybody who can't kill another human being will soon be dead himself. It'll get VERY ugly very quickly.

Last edited by Kid Stanislaus; 07-13-2011 at 8:11 PM.. Reason: Elucidation
Old 07-13-2011, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Big enough yes

Well I'm an easy target that I know. I don't think real target selection begins between days 6-12 though in this scenario. We don't need to go through towns, and those who'd likely be willing to engage are more urban dwellers going hungry, and we know most aren't up early.

In this scenario I view the risk of moving far less then staying longer. Besides I can look pretty homeless, like a soldier, a cop or or farmer if I had too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
Believe me, somebody would pick you off LONG before you ever got to the Nevada border. With just two of you travelling you'd be easy targets.
Old 07-15-2011, 9:00 PM

Would no one go into the grocery store and stock up on supplies?
What about your local home improvement store?
If you had an old car and replacement parts, got the vehicle running and are planning to bug out, what would you take?

Some of you have been running what if scenarios through your heads for years. Share your thoughts in a bit more detail then...I would go home, pack and leave...
Old 07-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Bike Trailers

Yeah I'd go in for bike trailers....I don't have those now. If I had them I wouldn't go in...no need

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Would no one go into the grocery store and stock up on supplies?
What about your local home improvement store?
If you had an old car and replacement parts, got the vehicle running and are planning to bug out, what would you take?

Some of you have been running what if scenarios through your heads for years. Share your thoughts in a bit more detail then...I would go home, pack and leave...
Old 07-17-2011, 9:19 AM

WEEK 2

Haven’t futzed around with the shortwave much…what little I’ve been able to glean from the airwaves is that it’s the same all over.
Been pedaling to the nearest Home Depot in the moonlight and procuring supplies. First night I found me some extra Makita batteries. My charger was in the steel cabinet where I keep all the cordless stuff so guess what! I got drivers and drills! The windows were busted out and some things were partially burnt but there’s not a lot of combustible stuff in that store to really carry a fire. Piled some bags of steer manure from the garden section, pillaged all the vegetable seeds and staged some of the fruit trees where they’d be in the shade for future raids. Most of the stuff in the garden section hadn’t been watered for nine days or so and the July heat killed most everything but the larger more robust specimens. Sprinted down fast on the bike and walked it on the shaded side of the road back to my house all loaded up. Scanned the path with the thermal and didn’t see any problems lurking. I made the run in the early AM hours when the moon was in a favorable position for concealment. Around midnight It would’ve been straight overhead with no shade by either side of the road. Earlier than that there’d still be people out and about. Been repeating that twice nightly. There’s been others in there as well scrounging for whatever they’re scrounging for. Ive been sticking the fruit trees in strategic spots by day, where they can get enough rain runoff from paved surfaces and roofs in the rainy season. Of course I have an inventory of all the fruit trees in the neighborhood as well.

Someone took my biggest dog. I was half asleep in the daytime when I heard all 4 dogs running to the gate barking like they usually do and someone speared my big dumb golden through the chest with a pole-sling and flipped him over the 42 Inch high gate and took off. I had an AR build shouldered but there was no good shot from where I was laying. I ran up and they were turning the corner on bicycles…I ran to the next street up through my back yard, over a high fence, through another property, and nothing….One dog gone in a flash so I spent the next two days putting up a perimeter at the curb made out of hardware cloth and homemade concertina which I cut out of 3x8 sheets of plaster lath using tinsnips. I pounded in some pipe and stakes, wired everything up good with picture hanging wire and generally made it hard to cross. I also put up some trip wires strung taut across all access points and tied to steel stakes, trees whatever could hold the lateral force. Of course all this nonsense took so much time that I didn’t distribute any more of my food to remote caches. I’m not sure it was a wise use of my time and strength. I have to jump my own fence to get in and out of my yard now. Oh, and I got my hands cut up pretty good too.

A few houses in my tract burned and folks are starting to leave in numbers. They’re piling crap in shopping carts and hoofing it out. Most everyone has lost some serious weight. A hysterical woman, sort of white collar administrative type, was begging at my front gate and wouldn’t leave. She wouldn’t take no for an answer until I shined the red laser mounted to my Kimber in her face while walking up to her cocked and unlocked. Never had much use for a laser until then. There’s lots of screaming and people wigging out and of course a few are still trying to set up a committee to distribute food and water and a lot of folks are of the opinion that help is just around the corner if only we all can share another day. Factions centered around ethnicity and kin are forming up. There’s been fist fights at meetings. A school principal/bureaucrat type is bossy and condescending to everyone. Lots of prayer groups. I piled bricks and cinderblock up in strategic spots across the yard to give myself some more cover….just in case.

My year+ worth of food is now a year and a half since I lost an elderly family member to respiratory distress. I am cutting myself and my wife to 1200 calories per day. We don’t need 2000. Now we may have 2 years plus. The dog food is still a month’s worth with the big one gone. Crap. I still have love handles and a pot. Gotta lose that and look as lean as everyone else or I’ll attract the wrong type of attention more than I already do.

There’s constant gunfire: mostly off in the distance. Some closer. I only leave the place at night. There’s still smoke and low visibility. I can’t even see one mile. It hurts my eyes and lungs to go outside. In the stillness of it all, the screaming and crying doesn’t seem to stop either. Some random bullet from somewhere punched a hole in the upstairs wall. Smells like putrefaction here.

So merry Cal Gunners, how’s y’all’s second week goin?

Last edited by Chaparral; 07-17-2011 at 9:21 AM.. Reason: paragraph indent and spacing
Old 07-17-2011, 7:27 PM

Quote:
WEEK 2
Great writing...please keep it going.

Is there anyone in your house that can help in this situation? I am only hearing about what you yourself are doing.
Old 07-18-2011, 9:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It’s been “two weeks” since we raised sail. Drove down to the harbor in the old 1955 Ford and left in 30 minutes. The whirly birds and radio equipment survived in the F Cage in the garage. Whirly Birds are making power for the water maker and we have not had to waste precious diesel to make water or charge batteries.
Been fishing the outer seamounts and living on fish and rice, keeping our other stores for later. Extra fish is smoked in the ss smoker hung of the stern. Staying well offshore and being small. Running just storm sails and going slow. Nothing on the radios yet. Navigation is out so it’s back to the old sextant and tables I learned to use as a kid. Will wait for a full 30 days before going close to an island, recon at night, most of the stinkpots should be out of fuel, rag boats out of food, the islands have been fished out for years. Once the major Lord of the Flies happens and people finish killing themselves the island may be good for planting near year-round water. If it looks good may try the leeward side and see if there is any radio traffic from the mainland or nighttime lights. It will be a waiting game, we are vulnerable and staying out of site is the best policy.

Sans Tere
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez