Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-09-2019, 4:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Windows profile horked after power-failure...

Just thought I'd drop my fix if you keep getting a temp profile in Windows, and a system restore won't work, and Windows thinks it wants to keep a lock on the profile.
ALWAYS have a second account that is an admin on Windows boxes for this reason.

Reboot safe mode, rename problem home folder \Users\<problem.folder>.old
Remove problem account, re-add account, reboot and login to said account, and copy data over a week or so from \Users\<problem.folder>.old to your current home folder, as needed, and files you need.

Last edited by the86d; 01-09-2019 at 10:24 AM..
Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Just thought I'd drop my fix if you keep getting a temp profile in Windows, and a system restore won't work, and Windows thinks it wants to keep a lock on the profile.
ALWAYS have a second account that is an admin on Windows boxes for this reason.

Reboot safe mode, rename problem home folder \Users\<problem.folder>.old
Remove problem account, re-add account, reboot and login to said account, and copy data over a week or so from \Users\<problem.folder>.old to your current home folder, as needed, and files you need.

Its not the power failure is windows trying to update and process was stopped. I suggest creating a new user and transfer all files from your user folder: Desktop, Documents, Videos, Pictures etc!
Old 01-09-2019, 7:59 PM

Problem is that doesn't always work. I've had that happen several times and just deleting and recreating the user doesn't always fix it. When you are removing a user profile that way, you should also delete the profile registry key. I don't remember the full path to the key but you can Google it. That's always worked for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2019, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Horked? Reminds me of a time after gym class and too much Fanta and Cheetos. Phew. Good times. Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-10-2019, 3:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by usr1987 View Post
Its not the power failure is windows trying to update and process was stopped. I suggest creating a new user and transfer all files from your user folder: Desktop, Documents, Videos, Pictures etc!
I HAD Windows updates set to never update automatically, but checking now, it appears that Windows "FIXED" my settings.
Since my Linux box was rebooted too, it was a power clearly a failure, so the UPS ran out of juice too (mech-switch).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancyPants View Post
Problem is that doesn't always work. I've had that happen several times and just deleting and recreating the user doesn't always fix it. When you are removing a user profile that way, you should also delete the profile registry key. I don't remember the full path to the key but you can Google it. That's always worked for me.
I never had to remove the registry key when removing then re-adding the user, as Windows points a new user profile, new (SID?) key, profile path and everything, if direct name of folder currently does not exist, automagically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Horked? Reminds me of a time after gym class and too much Fanta and Cheetos. Phew. Good times. Good times.
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&&q=horked

Last edited by the86d; 01-10-2019 at 3:26 AM..
Old 01-10-2019, 12:32 PM

Usually you have to go into registry and find the dupe SIDS. One will have .BAK. Delete the other and rename that one.

Old 01-11-2019, 3:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomegalodon View Post
Usually you have to go into registry and find the dupe SIDS. One will have .BAK. Delete the other and rename that one.

I never had to screw with that, my way...
As I recall, the cross reference of SID to profile wasn't worth it, the profile/registry settings for the user could still be horked, and it is nice to have zero temp files in the profile too.
I had 8GB of bull in my old profile, under appdata.

Last edited by the86d; 01-11-2019 at 3:43 AM..