Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-13-2019, 7:07 PM

OP, my .02 from a forest dweller....
Wherever you choose,IMO do it because you love it. Because it's 'home' to you. A place you want to die. Could be the open plains, could be on a lake or stream, could be in a forest, could be on a hill, could be in town. It all depends on you.

One thing I do like about the forest from a SHTF perspective is one knows their land, its lay, its cover and best defense if it came to that. It opens up many opportunities for guerilla warfare and, absent SHTF, it's beautiful and serene. I learned some of the tricks from older guys who were in 'Nam. In that vein, get friendly with the ex-mils, even the old retired guys, presuming you're not from a military background. I've learned a lot of tactics from them. Hope I'll never have to use them.

I live miles from any town but in a small enclave of humans in a forested canyon. The vast majority are locals. Myself and one other lady are the only transplants. My old diesel truck got me in. Forest people like those old trucks.

Good luck with your choice. My first job in oilfield services was working for a company in what I called 'oil patch' in the 70's. Good old Bakersfield. Work all week, race at Famoso on the weekends. Those were the days.
Old 02-19-2019, 3:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Sweet, sounds like a great place. I've tried to plant fruit trees a couple of times but the deer wipe them out pretty quick. Moles and ground squirrels are hard on the garden. Neighbor grows hemp and doesnt have the same kinds of issues. Just doesn't seem fair to me.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:54 PM

Sweet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
Got 70 acres about 30 miles ti town. There's a tiny store with gas pumps 5 miles away but we never shop there - just shoit the breeze with the old timers. There is another tiny store with gad pumps 10 miles away - never shop there.

40 acres of timber and swamp. Planting fruit and nut trees on all the cleared land.

There is a creek that cuts across the property with mussels, crawfish, trout and a salmon run. Glacier and runoff fed
Old 03-05-2019, 12:00 AM

I appreciate your 2 cents worth.

I like the mountains and the lake. Ultimate choice for me would be a place on the lake with a view of the mountains... everything else is gravy.

I'm still in the 'patch for another 2-3 years and then retirement.

I thank you for your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user120312 View Post
OP, my .02 from a forest dweller....
Wherever you choose,IMO do it because you love it. Because it's 'home' to you. A place you want to die. Could be the open plains, could be on a lake or stream, could be in a forest, could be on a hill, could be in town. It all depends on you.

One thing I do like about the forest from a SHTF perspective is one knows their land, its lay, its cover and best defense if it came to that. It opens up many opportunities for guerilla warfare and, absent SHTF, it's beautiful and serene. I learned some of the tricks from older guys who were in 'Nam. In that vein, get friendly with the ex-mils, even the old retired guys, presuming you're not from a military background. I've learned a lot of tactics from them. Hope I'll never have to use them.

I live miles from any town but in a small enclave of humans in a forested canyon. The vast majority are locals. Myself and one other lady are the only transplants. My old diesel truck got me in. Forest people like those old trucks.

Good luck with your choice. My first job in oilfield services was working for a company in what I called 'oil patch' in the 70's. Good old Bakersfield. Work all week, race at Famoso on the weekends. Those were the days.