Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2019, 6:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Volreg (non-AW) photo request pushback! Success!: post#11

I just received an email requesting pictures. I will push back. Let’s see how this goes.

“Please provide clear full-length pictures of both sides of the firearm, one close up of the serial number, magazine release, make and model. Upload these pictures to this transaction and resubmit for processing.”
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS

Last edited by phdo; 02-06-2019 at 7:54 PM..
Old 02-07-2019, 9:40 AM
Veteran Member

Success! Received my approval letters a couple days ago that I resubmitted back in December. Also received my letter for my pistol build at the same time. (they never requested pics on the pistol though)

A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwaiz View Post
Success! Received my approval letters a couple days ago that I resubmitted back in December. Also received my letter for my pistol build at the same time. (they never requested pics on the pistol though)
Im hoping I hear something soon then. I resubmitted without photos mid December and nothing yet. This is so ridiculous.
Old 02-11-2019, 3:09 PM

Yes push back, it worked for a friend.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:52 PM

Got the same

“Please provide clear full-length pictures of both sides of the firearm, one close up of the serial number, magazine release, make and model. Upload these pictures to this transaction and resubmit for processing."

I created and issue and politely said that I was told there was no provision for that in the Penal Code, and if there were to cite it for me.

We'll see how it goes pray it works
Old 02-13-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefear7 View Post
Got the same

“Please provide clear full-length pictures of both sides of the firearm, one close up of the serial number, magazine release, make and model. Upload these pictures to this transaction and resubmit for processing."

I created and issue and politely said that I was told there was no provision for that in the Penal Code, and if there were to cite it for me.

We'll see how it goes pray it works
I got the same around 12/20/18. Replied the same day within the application comment section as well as created an Issue ticket with:

...please provide the memorandum/penal code authorizing your picture request or justification based on current policy as this Firearm Ownership Report was submitted before July 1, 2018, and does not require photographs submitted per CA Penal Code...

Status still says "In Progress" versus "Incomplete". Originally submitted towards the end of June 2018. Still waiting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2019, 8:52 PM

Originally submitted my volreg applications at the end of May. I received the request for photos of non-AW volreg firearms on 12/20; responded using "report an issue" that photos aren't required, etc. Logged in today to see that they still say "Incomplete" and the notes asking for photos. No action or acknowledgment of my previous "report an issue."

Submitted again a "report an issue" asking them to provide a valid legal reason for not processing the registrations or to proceed with registration. If I don't see a result by the end of the month I'm contacting a lawyer for advice and perhaps representation.
Old 02-14-2019, 8:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGuy View Post
Originally submitted my volreg applications at the end of May. I received the request for photos of non-AW volreg firearms on 12/20

I had the same thing happen… They do not respond to the “report a issue “… Ever
After two or three weeks I just sent them pictures of the bare receivers and a couple of weeks later I got my letters… I wouldn’t waste my money on a lawyer
Old 02-14-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally submitted my volreg applications at the end of May. I received the request for photos of non-AW volreg firearms on 12/20; responded using "report an issue" that photos aren't required, etc. Logged in today to see that they still say "Incomplete" and the notes asking for photos. No action or acknowledgment of my previous "report an issue."

Submitted again a "report an issue" asking them to provide a valid legal reason for not processing the registrations or to proceed with registration. If I don't see a result by the end of the month I'm contacting a lawyer for advice and perhaps representation.
Go back into your original application and write your response in the comment section and submit it. The status should change back to "in progress" in a few days (at least mine did). It then took about 7 weeks after that to get the "Submission Confirmation Notice" emails, followed by another week of waiting to receive the letters.
Old 03-02-2019, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbyo1 View Post
Go back into your original application and write your response in the comment section and submit it. The status should change back to "in progress" in a few days (at least mine did). It then took about 7 weeks after that to get the "Submission Confirmation Notice" emails, followed by another week of waiting to receive the letters.
Thanks for the tip. Submitted my objection in the comments for each one. Now the waiting game begins anew!
Old 03-03-2019, 3:25 PM
Veteran Member

I also received the email regarding needing photos. I resubmitted and told them it wasn't in the penal code so I wasn't going to do it. This was mid-December, and I still haven't received any letter. So I separated the lower from the uppers until I receive those letters. If they show up, which they have no reason to, they can get them without going into my safe. Isn't there a timeline that they are supposed to have these processed by?

Those of you who received a letter, did you also get an email saying yours was processed? Or, did the letter just show up in the mail one day? Does your CFARS still say in progress if you received a letter?

Last edited by steelrain82; 03-03-2019 at 3:30 PM..
Old 03-03-2019, 6:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
I also received the email regarding needing photos. I resubmitted and told them it wasn't in the penal code so I wasn't going to do it. This was mid-December, and I still haven't received any letter. So I separated the lower from the uppers until I receive those letters. If they show up, which they have no reason to, they can get them without going into my safe. Isn't there a timeline that they are supposed to have these processed by?

Those of you who received a letter, did you also get an email saying yours was processed? Or, did the letter just show up in the mail one day? Does your CFARS still say in progress if you received a letter?
80% gun registered before July 1 2018, correct?
Email, then letter. "In Progress" never changes.

T
Old 03-03-2019, 8:09 PM
Veteran Member

Yes. I received the email about needing barrel length, caliber, and needing pictures. Gave them what they wanted except pictures. I just wanted to make sure I’m going to receive an email before a letter. I’ve been checking every day. I guess I’ll conti checking it. .
Old 03-03-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Submitted my objection in the comments for each one. Now the waiting game begins anew!
Hopefully it goes smoothly and they get it done quickly so it's something less you have to worry about.
Old 03-04-2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:

My volreg got kicked back on 12/17 and I told them I didn't need to send pictures. I got a submission confirmation by email on 1/10. So it took 24 days for me. I'm not sure how long other people waited but I guess a month is a good estimate?
Old 03-05-2019, 2:18 PM

Quote:
I forgot to ask. Did the status on your applications change back to "In Progress"?
Old 03-05-2019, 4:10 PM

When I did two Volreg's last year (or before whenever it was supposed to be done by without having to request a DOJ serial) I sent the form by snail mail. Maybe that makes a difference? I don't know, they never asked for photos in any case.
Old 03-06-2019, 4:18 PM
Veteran Member

For the people who received a request for more info and photos. Did you tell them that your firearms were maglocked? I've been looking at my paperwork and CFARS, and I noticed I filled out the missing info and am wondering since I didn't say they were maglocked if that is the hold up. I feel like I should be expecting DOJ to show up at my door. I mean it has been 3 months since last contact, and there is no way to reach anyone there.
Old 03-06-2019, 7:16 PM

Quote:
For the people who received a request for more info and photos. Did you tell them that your firearms were maglocked? I've been looking at my paperwork and CFARS, and I noticed I filled out the missing info and am wondering since I didn't say they were maglocked if that is the hold up. I feel like I should be expecting DOJ to show up at my door. I mean it has been 3 months since last contact, and there is no way to reach anyone there.
I told them I didn't need to send photos because it wasn't an AW and I asked them to show me where it said I had to.
Old 03-06-2019, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtl View Post
I told them I didn't need to send photos because it wasn't an AW and I asked them to show me where it said I had to.
Did you tell them that you had a mag lock of some type on it?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2019, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Did you tell them that you had a mag lock of some type on it?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Here's exactly what I wrote:

"This firearm is featureless and does not require photographs or category per current regulations. Please provide the memorandum authorizing your picture request/category request or justification based on current policy. Thank you."
Old 03-07-2019, 11:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

I had several request to send pictures of features that were already submitted, and a couple rifles with prs stocks that were considered collapsible. Lots of waiting. About three weeks ago I received several emails for corrections.. luckily I was home and made the changes requested, within probably 30 minutes of submission of info, more requests.. with some helpful suggestions.. whoever was there knew a thing or two. I resubmitted and got approval on all three weeks later.. a couple days ago.. I’m hoping things get easier in the future.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:45 AM

Here is my timeline:

6/29/18 Submit several FORs

12/4/18 Received requests to select caliber on ARs, confirm receiver only on all entered as receiver only, and requests for photographs on everything I submitted.

2/4/19 Confirmed receiver only where necessary and entered the following comment / reported an issue including SN & CRIS # for all photo requests: "RE: CRIS Number: _______________ Firearm serial number _______. This firearm is featureless and does not require photographs per current regulations. Please provide the memorandum authorizing your picture request or justification based on current policy. Thank You."

3/15/19 Received approval letters for everything.

Last edited by DS94901; 03-16-2019 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-17-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbyo1 View Post
I forgot to ask. Did the status on your applications change back to "In Progress"?
I just checked and they all appear as "In Progress" now. Don't know how long it took them to change it since I submitted the comments on 3/2 and didn't look again until today 2 weeks later, but it seems like "progress" to me.

I have not, however, received any email from them much less paperwork. I'll post again here when something else happens - hopefully something positive like getting my registrations finalized!
Old 03-17-2019, 12:30 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS94901 View Post
Here is my timeline:

6/29/18 Submit several FORs

12/4/18 Received requests to select caliber on ARs, confirm receiver only on all entered as receiver only, and requests for photographs on everything I submitted.

2/4/19 Confirmed receiver only where necessary and entered the following comment / reported an issue including SN & CRIS # for all photo requests: "RE: CRIS Number: _______________ Firearm serial number _______. This firearm is featureless and does not require photographs per current regulations. Please provide the memorandum authorizing your picture request or justification based on current policy. Thank You."

3/15/19 Received approval letters for everything.
Pistol or rifles, if pistols were they listed as semi auto?

There are several issues at play here. Everyone chiming in needs to clarify rifle, single shot pistol, semi auto pistol - or the info is of little or no use.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 03-17-2019 at 12:33 PM..
Old 03-17-2019, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Pistol or rifles, if pistols were they listed as semi auto?

There are several issues at play here. Everyone chiming in needs to clarify rifle, single shot pistol, semi auto pistol - or the info is of little or no use.
Sheesh. Rifles or I would have specified pistols.
Old 03-28-2019, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

Has anyone else heard back about their volregs yet? I still haven't heard anything back and its getting frustrating.
Old 03-29-2019, 1:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Has anyone else heard back about their volregs yet? I still haven't heard anything back and its getting frustrating.

Nothing for me. It’s been months.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 03-29-2019, 9:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Months after I raised the volreg pics issue and the DOJ then approved the two rifles, I got "issues resolved" notices on the two issues raised about not-legally-required pics.

T
Old 03-29-2019, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS94901 View Post

2/4/19 ...Please provide the memorandum authorizing your picture request or justification based on current policy. Thank You."
I'm curious about all the language in this thread asking them to provide a "memorandum authorizing" The DOJ can create an memorandum authorizing them to require just about anything. I would think we should be requesting a citation in the actual penal code. I'm concerned about adopting or accepting the position that the DOJ can grant itself the authority to do or require anything, just because they created a memorandum that says so. Am I off-base here?

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.