Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-22-2009, 5:38 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quick clot and sweet & low is just going to weigh you down. Any kind of non-arterial (read: fatal) bleeding can be stopped with pressure.

If you have fatal/arterial bleeding, no amount of quick clot in the world is going to keep your patient alive.

You would be better served just having a decent hemostat and cotton bandage on hand.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 02-22-2009, 6:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

didn't go through the whole thread, but I rather have a propane lantern instead of LED or battery powered one, the propane will offer you light as well as heat. That is my main source of heating my 9X12 canvas tent during my camp and hunt trips. Make sure you add Meds of different type in your bag
Old 02-22-2009, 8:07 PM

I'm back from the 3-days trip.
Good news for me that I didn't need anything from my "big pack". We slept in the back of my hunting partner's Ford Explorer (putting up a tent wasn't necessary). I used the following items (not necessarily at the same time ): knife, ferrocerium rod, toilet paper, waterproof boots, wool socks, Sitka 90% pants, short underwear, long sleeve synthetic t-shirt, synthetic shirt, Polartec 200 jacket, DriDucks rain gear, synth. warm hat, leather cowboy-hat, warm shooting gloves, Arborwear belt, LED headlamp, toothbrush +paste, lip balm (I had a cold the whole time, with fever), vitamin C +B Complex, Platypus water bottle +water, more water, Eberlestock X2 backpack, shotgun scabbard, shotgun, slugs, prepared food, raw food (cooked "out there" some meat, then some eggs and bacon), spork, titanium cup, Granola bars, sleeping pad, cigarettes +lighter, hand sanitizer, binoculars, MSR cooking pot, Optimus Nova multi-fuel stove +gasoline, photo camera, my pockets and lots of humor.
The campsite didn't have water (something to consider).
I've never been cold, thirsty or hungry without being able to take care of it quickly, in these 3 days. I never had a shower, just changed underwear religiously... but if it would've been one more day, I would've gotten naked and do it quickly in the rain. I never had to be rude to anybody (and survived! ) Oh, I used 20 dollars for camping fees and such...
I hope I didn't forget anything.

Ben Harper

"It's a free country... or, at least, it will be."
- The Patriot -

Last edited by Dark&Good; 02-22-2009 at 8:13 PM..
Old 02-22-2009, 8:14 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Camping fees? What, didja go to one of those concrete squares with a bathroom and a shower hooked up next to ya, a hundred yards from the edge of the lake and the marina around the corner?

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Old 02-22-2009, 8:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK45 GUY View Post
You need a ShamWOW

https://www.shamwow.com/ver4/index.asp

"You know the Germans always make good stuff" HAHAHAHA
Best reply yet!

Old 02-22-2009, 8:43 PM

Spyder,
I went hunting into an area that is not a wilderness and doesn't have a wilderness around. The main reason was NOT to test my BOB. That said, it didn't have water (as I said), so no shower and such... Abiding the laws is the current situation, and when "NO LAWS" will be the situation, no camping fees will be paid.

C'mon, you surely can come up with something more constructive... or I'll have to write a report on my 3 days in the Eldorado National Forest - no camping fees paid there, if that's all that matters... but then, this thread is not about such things, mate

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 02-22-2009, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark&Good View Post
I'm back from the 3-days trip.
Good news for me that I didn't need anything from my "big pack". We slept in the back of my hunting partner's Ford Explorer (putting up a tent wasn't necessary). I used the following items (not necessarily at the same time ): knife, ferrocerium rod, toilet paper, waterproof boots, wool socks, Sitka 90% pants, short underwear, long sleeve synthetic t-shirt, synthetic shirt, Polartec 200 jacket, DriDucks rain gear, synth. warm hat, leather cowboy-hat, warm shooting gloves, Arborwear belt, LED headlamp, toothbrush +paste, lip balm (I had a cold the whole time, with fever), vitamin C +B Complex, Platypus water bottle +water, more water, Eberlestock X2 backpack, shotgun scabbard, shotgun, slugs, prepared food, raw food (cooked "out there" some meat, then some eggs and bacon), spork, titanium cup, Granola bars, sleeping pad, cigarettes +lighter, hand sanitizer, binoculars, MSR cooking pot, Optimus Nova multi-fuel stove +gasoline, photo camera, my pockets and lots of humor.
The campsite didn't have water (something to consider).
I've never been cold, thirsty or hungry without being able to take care of it quickly, in these 3 days. I never had a shower, just changed underwear religiously... but if it would've been one more day, I would've gotten naked and do it quickly in the rain. I never had to be rude to anybody (and survived! ) Oh, I used 20 dollars for camping fees and such...
I hope I didn't forget anything.
Thank you for taking the time to post your details. We all need to use and practice, even if it is your backyard for the weekend.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:48 PM

You're welcome.

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 02-23-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
Quick clot and sweet & low is just going to weigh you down. Any kind of non-arterial (read: fatal) bleeding can be stopped with pressure.

If you have fatal/arterial bleeding, no amount of quick clot in the world is going to keep your patient alive.

You would be better served just having a decent hemostat and cotton bandage on hand.
Yeah, I wouldn't try to stop any major artery from draining by putting on QC or Sweet&Low. Seems like "finger in the dike," so to speak.

If you have a graze that's treatable without pressure, though, it would be nice to free up your gauze and cloth for more serious injuries by using one of the two substances. Especially if you are low on medical supplies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcnones View Post
Should I give them booze? I have Ralph's brand Kahlua and some Half and Half. Kids like chocolate milk, right?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quick clot and sweet & low is just going to weigh you down.
But Splenda won't.

It's much lighter than sugar. When I go backpacking I use it as a semi-acceptable sugar substitute. (Although the weight difference isn't all that much unless you're an ultra-light freak like me )
Old 02-23-2009, 12:43 AM

I can't think of a problem where clotting agents would be the best solution, and that's an understatement on my part. If one can't use pressure or constriction to stop a bleeding, that bleeding is inside the body, right?

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 02-23-2009, 2:59 AM
CGN Contributor

I have a pouch of Celox in the first aid kit. From what I've read it sounds like good stuff. And it's made from shrimp shells, so you can use it to make a nice broth, right?
http://www.celoxmedical.com/?page=tinfo
http://www.celoxmedical.com/press/01.php

A nice, graphic video of it being used on a... pig?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BStuiK_ZgvU

I got mine from some seller on Amazon.
Old 02-23-2009, 1:51 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Actually, a relatively small amount of QwikClot will stop arterial bleeding. That's what it's for. Stopping traumatic, fatal bleeding without having to clip/clamp/press until your arms fall asleep. This is not your Daddy's old clotting powder.

The packs are about the size and weight of a package of instant cocoa. Hardly cumbersome...but to each his own.

Study up here - http://www.quikclot.com/supportdata/zmedicaproduct.pdf

The title is....."United States Marine".

Last edited by olhunter; 02-23-2009 at 6:01 PM..
Old 02-23-2009, 8:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My Go Bag is a work in progress. It has to double as an overnight bag and a go bag because I travel a lot to see friends and family and trunk space is limited. Also, I don't want to have to explain why I have a go bag (my family thinks I am nuts enough). 1/2 the gear obviously will not be needed in everyday life and is emergency only. But I tried to make sure those that could double as every day garb did not look overly "tactical". I doubt we will ever have a Red Dawn moment, but if we do I like to think I will have that covered as well as be able to handle more routine emergencies. I am more worried about a major Natural Disaster than a Politcal Event or War, but better safe than sorry. The medical supplies will be useful if there is a car wreck (my own or I come across somebody else’s) and medical help is unavailable or delayed.

So far...

Maxpedition Falcon-II Backpack

In The Back Compartment - Full
1-GI Issue Water Bladder.

In The Main Compartment - Full
Contains all my clothing.
1-Rip Stop Gortex Rain Jacket from Eddie Bauer
1-Gildan Plain T-Shirt Short Sleeve
1-Gildan Plain T-Shirt Long Sleeve
1-Pair J-Crew Khaki Style Pants
1-FlexFit Khaki Polo Cap
3-Pairs Cotton Boxer Shorts
3-Pairs White Cotton Socks
1-Pair of 5.11 Tactical Falcon Sunglasses w/ Croaky (my Civilian stuff did not hold up well so I figured what the hell)
1-Khaki Style Belt
1-Nomex Flight Gloves (fell in love with them in the military and have worn them ever since)
1-Shemagh (obviously not everyday wear)
1-Round Hair Brush (packs well and had no place else to put it)

In The Middle Compartment - Full
Contains the non-airport safe stuff. Empty it, and remove the medial pouch and I am fine to travel by air. If it really hits the fan all of this will be on my body leaving more room for food, ammo, etc.
1-USAF Pilots Survival Knife (throw back to my military days)
1-Uncle Mikes Kydex Double Magazine Paddle Holster
1-Uncle Mikes Kydex Handgun Paddle Holster
1-5.11 Tactical Khaki Style Vest (all items bellow are in the pockets)
1-Leatherman Fuse Tactical Tool
1-Multi-Allen Wrench Tool (for maintaining my rifle)
1-Surefire 6P Handheld Tactical Light
1-Dakota Carabineer Style Watch/Compass/Whistle
2-Rifle Magazines (loaded)
1-Trijicon Lens Pen
1-Pair Small Bushnell Binoculars
5-Pairs Foam Ear Plugs

In The Bottom Front Compartment - Has Room
1-MRE Complete Meal Packet (assumption being this is just to get me back to civilization or I will hunt/find more food)
1-Paperback Book
1-Map of Local and Surrounding Areas
4-Pack Batteries Sealed (my Vltor Buttstock is also filled with spare batteries if I have my rifle)

In The Top Front Compartment - Has Room
1-Sealed Container of Clenzoil One Step Gun Cleaning Wipes
1-223 Boresnake
1-40S&W Boresnake

In The Side Attached Medical Compartment - Almost Full
Just enough medical and hygiene supplies for one.
1-Israeli Bandage 6" w/ 2nd pad
1-Celox 15g (small)
3-Rubber Gloves
1-Chem-Light
1-4.5" x 4.1 yards Kerlix
1-12 Pill Packet of Allergy Pills
1-12 Pill Packet pain medication
1-Box Wet Wipes Bathroom Tissue
1-Pair Scissors
1-Toothbrush
1-Toothpaste
10-Floss Picks
1-Packet of Allergy Pills
1-Packet of Pain Pills
12-Standard Band-Aids
1-Bottle Neosporin
1-Bottle Superglue
1-Travel Sewing Kit
1-Travel Manicure Set
1-Plastic Container of Matches

Top Side Attached Rolly Poly Folding Compartment - Empty
It is folded up and kept as a reserve in case I need to store something while traveling.

Bottom Side Rolly Poly Folding Compartment - Empty
It is folded up and kept as a reserve in case I need to store something while traveling.

Attached Side H2 Small Compartment Above Medical Kit
1-Photocopies of Credit Cards, Drivers license, DD214, and Proof of Medical Insurance.
1-Small Pad of Paper
1-Mechanical Pencil
1-Some other things I do not wish to list.
1-Cell Phone (for whatever good it will do me)

OTHER ITEMS ALWAYS STORED IN TRUNK

Comfortable Footwear
1-Pair 5.11 Tactical Black Combat Boots
1-Pair Adidas Running Shoes
If it hits the fan or if I am in the wilderness I wear the boots an when just traveling I will likely need the running shoes.

ITEMS I ONLY STORE IN THE TRUNK WHEN TRAVELLING

Locked Handgun Case
Handgun and empty magazines kept in trunk when traveling out of town, otherwise it is in the gun safe at home. If this were any other state I would keep it on me always...but that is not practical here in California and I don't want to leave it in the car while I am at work or overnight while I am sleeping as I do not have a garage.

NYLON RIFLE BAG
Admittedly I do not always take my rifle with me road on trips. It depends on whether or not I am planning on shooting it. But I do bring the handgun religiously on trips. Obviously, if it really hits the fan my first stop is to run home, grab the rifle, more ammo, more cash money, and fill the water reservoir.

Ammo Box
This is normally in my closet, not my car. But about 1/2 the time it comes with me when I travel because somebody (friend, cousin, etc.) wants to go shooting.
250 rounds 223
250 Rounds 40S&W

PLANNED/MISSING ITEMS
I need some sort of water purification. Probably going to have to rely on some sort of powder I poor into the water cup.
I also would like to bring Duck Tape with me. But a full roll won't exactly fit anywhere. I would have to ditch clothing and experience tells me I will need them more often than Duck Tape. Still it very useful...so I am struggling with it.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 02-25-2009 at 8:35 PM..
Old 02-23-2009, 9:49 PM

thats nice bag mate, for the ducktape i peeled away most of the cardboard so its really flexable now and can pretty much be packed anywhere.

Last edited by mapleleafup; 02-23-2009 at 11:32 PM..
Old 02-23-2009, 10:20 PM
CGN Contributor

With regards to tape, you can do like some backpackers do and wrap several feet of it around a ballpoint pen or Sharpie, both of which could be useful.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
I need some sort of water purification. Probably going to have to rely on some sort of powder I poor into the water cup.
My recommendation is to go with one or more of the following:
-Katadyn Hiker purifier or similar
-Polar Pure or similar (2-stage liquids are alright as well, but don't remove as much taste as they claim)

I'm much more of a purifier guy. You can instantly purify; the water usually doesn't have an iodine taste; and you can safely drink lots of the water you process without having to worry about thyroid issues. I keep a bit of iodine around, though, in case the water is REALLY sketchy. Nothing says you can't (and sometimes you probably should) use both approaches to ensure your water is very safe.

Quote:
Should I give them booze? I have Ralph's brand Kahlua and some Half and Half. Kids like chocolate milk, right?
Old 02-24-2009, 9:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by badreligion View Post

Take your wife to the range and teach her to shoot. Remember she promised to protect you to.
True that!
Old 02-24-2009, 9:09 AM
In Memoriam

tacticalcity you have a nice set up. I have something similiar.
Nonetheless, my BOB has been a continuous work in progress for the past 20 years.
Adding stuff, removing stuff, upgrading stuff etc., etc. (Read my post (#18) on this thread)

Anyway, I would suggest ditching the cotton socks and get some REI or Smartwool merino wool hiking socks and swapping out the cotton undies for some quality synthetic boxer shorts.
Highly recommend the ExOfficio boxer briefs or the Duluth Trading Performance Boxers.
Also, their Performance Longtail t-shirts are good, quality t-shirts that are available in subdued colors and short or long sleeve. However, the material does start to pill after some use.

If you're on the run or in a bug out mode, carrying all your gear, you will be sweating. Cotton doesn't cut it.

Socks are stored in ziplock bags and the extra clothing is stored in one of those plastic travel bags that when rolled forces out all the air making for a small/tight compact package.

I didn't see a radio. Being able to get the latest news and weather reports is very important for your survival.
I carry a small Kaito 105 AM/FM/Shortwave radio that runs on 2 AA batteries.
Also swapped out my beloved Surefire flashlight for a Fenix L2T. This also runs on AA batteries. Its a very bright, quality LED light with two output modes with a much longer runtime than my Surefire lights.

This is supplemented by stuff I carry in my truck-
Full size spare tire
Jack
Lug wrench
18"x1/2" steel pipe (cheater bar for lug wrench)
Jumper cables
14"x11" piece of 3/4" plywood (base for jack)
5'x4' piece of canvas
gloves
Cold Steel Spetsnaz shovel
14" Gorillla bar
Surefire D3 flashlight
Shop towels
GI poncho
GI M65 Field Jacket
Wool watch cap
Maps of area and a few other odds and ends.

Anyway, its very important to get out and use your gear periodically to see what works and what doesn't. A one or two day camping trip will be a good exercise.

Last edited by MrTenX; 02-24-2009 at 10:48 AM..
Old 02-24-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTenX View Post
Anyway, I would suggest ditching the cotton socks and get some REI or Smartwool merino wool hiking socks and swapping out the cotton undies for some quality synthetic boxer shorts.
Smartwool socks are the most comfortable hiking socks I've ever used! Everything else should be wool, polypropylene or some other synthetic. Smartwick stuff is also nice but kinda pricey.

Also: seam-sealed, rip-stop, breathable gore-tex or similar for outer layers/rain jacket (arguably the most important weather protection investment in the BOB). As far as I'm concerned, vinyl ponchos are only useful on your pack or gear; they really suck as far as personal rain protection goes. They breed mold, get ripped, and funnel water directly to your head if you wear a pack under them.

Quote:
Old 02-25-2009, 12:21 PM

Wet & dry sand paper and a small file work as good as a stone and are lighter..
Old 02-25-2009, 8:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Funny you mention REI. My best friend since high school is a manager at an REI. Time to make a phone call and see what his discount is. :-)

In any case, he'll hook me up with some Coolmax shorts and socks. Thanks for that suggestion. The wicking t-shirts however seem to all be cut for skinny people. I sadly have a bit of gut and can't fit into them and look good. The bag does double as an overnight bag. The clothes get worn often. So the baggy cotton t-shirts have to stay until I can find something better.

I did swap out the Fleece Zip-Up and the packable parka for an Eddie Bauer rip-stop waterproof jacket I picked up at the outlet store earlier this year. The only reason it wasn't in the bag already is I wear it so often. But I bought another one online...so now I'm good. If I can't live without it in the winter, it needs to be in the bag.

Still sorting out the water purification and duck tape. Not in a rush.
Old 02-26-2009, 7:49 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
Funny you mention REI. My best friend since high school is a manager at an REI. Time to make a phone call and see what his discount is. :-)
REI is an excellent resource and I've been a member there since 1977. After all these years, I still visit my local REI at least once a week.

Quote:
The wicking t-shirts however seem to all be cut for skinny people. I sadly have a bit of gut and can't fit into them and look good.
The Duluth Longtail-T's, both the synthetic and cotton, are full cut for regular working people. At 6' 3", 200 lbs, they fit me perfectly and stay tucked in, and are the only ones I buy nowadays.

Also, I don't see any food in your BOB.
I like MET-Rx bars and Clif bars.
They are available everywhere but you gotta keep track of the expiration dates. A lot of people use PowerBars but I've found that they are hard to chew when cold.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Calguns Addict

This thread rocks have I said this yet? I love to see all this!!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:09 AM

We thank you

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 03-01-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seesm View Post
This thread rocks have I said this yet? I love to see all this!!!!
WORD UP!

I'm glad to see that others are into it. It's been really interesting to see what everyone has to add to on the subject. There have been things that I hadn't even considered for my kit, and I'm very glad they were brought to attention.

I'm working to completing my kit, and i'll try to take pics of everything as a group and get them up here.

I'd love to see others as well...
Old 03-01-2009, 1:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Also, I don't see any food in your BOB.
I like MET-Rx bars and Clif bars.
They are available everywhere but you gotta keep track of the expiration dates. A lot of people use PowerBars but I've found that they are hard to chew when cold.

I have 1 MRE in the bag and 1 MRE in the trunk. I thought I listed that? Oh well. Bag is currently 20lbs. A little heavier than I would like. But most of it is clothing, which will most likely be taken out and worn if I have to hoof it since it is more practical than trying to hike 10 miles in jeans and dress shoes...which is why it's in there. I'm not going to try and go long distances with that much weight in the bag and more weight in clothing on my body. I am too old for that. :-)

Last edited by tacticalcity; 03-01-2009 at 1:40 AM..
Old 03-01-2009, 3:12 AM

Lucky you

My "de luxe" level is more than double as heavy. Hopefully, I'll never need more than the "day pack" level, though.

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 03-01-2009, 4:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I dont think any one mentioned (unless I missed it) a compass. There inexpensive and anyone can learn to use them in 5 minutes. I would like to start on my BOB soon, but every time I mention anything about SHTF. My wife makes fun of me and says that nothing will ever happen. I dont want anything bad to happen, but god I would love to have the stuff ready to tell her I told you so. I know some of you guys understand me.
Old 03-01-2009, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaleens281 View Post
I dont think any one mentioned (unless I missed it) a compass. There inexpensive and anyone can learn to use them in 5 minutes. I would like to start on my BOB soon, but every time I mention anything about SHTF. My wife makes fun of me and says that nothing will ever happen. I dont want anything bad to happen, but god I would love to have the stuff ready to tell her I told you so. I know some of you guys understand me.
Got one. I just picked up a used ALICE pack. No way can I carry a 40lbs duffle bag. Well about your wife...well when you need it you can NOT LET HER USE ITS CONTENTS.

Believe me I hope I never have to use it...but its there. And I will always be adding, subtracting and using when camping and hunting.
Old 03-01-2009, 5:47 PM

Post #102 has compass in it.

About the "nothing will ever happen", that's probably what many people said in New Orleans, three days before Katrina hit. And how much does she think people of San Francisco thought of earthquakes on April 15, 1906? Three days later, more than 3000 of them died here. She can continue making fun of you, and you can continue getting prepared, as far as I am concerned... It might or might not happen... but to me, there's lots of satisfaction in knowing that I'll be able to help my wife (and possibly others), if it does. My wife and I just leave each other alone about personal things that don't harm anybody (like hobbies, traditions, what we wear, etc.) - there's lots of fun in doing many other things together.

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 03-01-2009, 6:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post

3) Fishing Line. Yeah, everybody's using it for fishing, but I have a 200 yard roll of 40lb test I intend to use for trip-wire. String it around your encampment about waist-high (to avoid being waken up by rabbits and such), hang some rock-cans off it and you have an early warning system. I'll sleep better knowing I have at least some defensive perimeter.
You do not want to use mono filament fishing line for tripwires.

Instead use Spectra fiber line. Which is also used for fishing, primarily as backing.

Spectra is a lot thinner than mono for its break strength.

40lb spectra is about equivalent to 8 or 10lb mono fishing line.

Plus it come in low viz colors like moss green, brown, white, and grey.

In addition, spectra fiber has zero stretch and is incredibly durable.
I believe our military is already using spectra or Kevlar line for tripwires.

Last edited by Spearo; 03-01-2009 at 6:03 PM..
Old 03-01-2009, 6:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisethunder View Post
Got one. I just picked up a used ALICE pack. No way can I carry a 40lbs duffle bag. Well about your wife...well when you need it you can NOT LET HER USE ITS CONTENTS.

Believe me I hope I never have to use it...but its there. And I will always be adding, subtracting and using when camping and hunting.
Sorry must have missed those posts w/ compasses. As for what you said about my wife and not letting her use the stuff LOL, classic. I really want to start one and can any one tell me where to start w/ the right type of bag and etc.
Old 03-01-2009, 6:38 PM

You should list all items you want in your pack, then erase the ones you won't really need, add more that you will, and then get them. Look at the volume and weight of all that stuff, find a pack that has no problems with either. Make sure the pack is adjustable for comfort, waterproof or has a "rainsuit", otherwise you'll need some plastic bags first, for your water-sensitive stuff (clothing, firemaking stuff, etc). The pack's material should be something that you can drag on the rocks occasionally, but watch out, too much comfort/durability/high tech can become heavy and expensive. Just keep in mind, there are no absolutes (but if you'd have to be "out there" for months or years, you could make yourself another pack from leather, or some other material)

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -

Last edited by Dark&Good; 03-01-2009 at 9:09 PM..
Old 03-01-2009, 7:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaleens281 View Post
I have a Dakota clip-on watch that has one built into it.
Old 03-01-2009, 9:42 PM

Finished for now. Pics worth 1K words sometimes. See my previous post for the list, see below for pics. Originally this was in a duffle bag, much easier to carry in the ALICE pack.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That looks like a great setup.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 PM

Good job!

Ben Harper

- The Patriot -
Old 03-02-2009, 2:09 AM

Awesome pics. Motivational for me to get mine up.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 AM

I don't think anybody mentioned any kind of bolt cutter or similar tool, but I think that maybe I'll throw a light set in with my kit - might be useful in urban environments... And can be used to cut tree limbs and the pelvic bones on large mammals when you're cleaning them. Due to the added weight they'll go in my stage 3 kit.
I also saw on a video posted by another Calgunner that a guy mentioned channel locks or some kind of large pliers - seems like something that could come in handy...
I guess at some point I'll have to determine exactly how much I will limit myself to as far as overall weight or size.