Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-12-2019, 9:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Vortex Scope handling heavy recoil?

Looking for some input on a scope for a 300 RUM Montana Arms

I have never owned a Vortex, mostly a Leupold guy. At the prices of the new Leup's today, I am starting to look toward other options.

I also in the process of building a 6.5 PRC on a Model 70 Platform, will be looking at a new scope for it also.

I will be at the 2019 Western Hunt Expo in Salt Lake City on Friday, Vortex will be there. Their both is going to be one of my first stops.

Of course they will be telling me their scopes will handle the heavy recoil fine. Heard that before, but it is not always true.

Seen far too many Bushnell and other cheaper scopes that would not hold POA or just flat come apart on the inside when shot on top of a 338 mag.

What has been your experience with the Vortex line?

Thx,

Randy
Old 02-12-2019, 10:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Stick with Leupold. They just work----always.
You can get the VX3i 3.5X10X40 for $320 on sale and that is a great scope for hunting. If you want more then the 4.5X14X40 VX3i.
If you just shoot paper then you may want more power and any brand will do.
If you really are concerned then get a Nightforce. I have the Nightforce NXS 5.5X22X56 NP-R2 scopes on both of my 50bmg rifles and they are excellent. They are like a Leupold on steroids.

Last edited by Divernhunter; 02-12-2019 at 10:03 AM..
Old 02-12-2019, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

I've got a Vortex PST 1-4 that's been beat up as much as the rifle its on and it still tracks and holds zero like my other, higher end scopes.

I had an HS-T that I bought just to try out, since I had never owned another Vortex aside from the PST, and was impressed with it as well. Used it on everything from a .300WM on a DTA SRS, 30-06 on a Winchester 70, and several different .308 rifles including a Saiga. As far as I know, the person that owns it now still uses it and that was over 1-2 years ago that I sold it with the rifle it was on.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The budget I have for a new scope is $1000 to $1200. VX6 series is just a little out of reach at this time, especially doing two new rifles.

I like the features on the VX6, the zero stop etc., just plopping down $1600 to $1800 is a little hard to swallow at this time.

Looking at the Viper Series, 6-24. These eyes are getting old, lol
Old 02-12-2019, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsh00ter View Post
The budget I have for a new scope is $1000 to $1200. VX6 series is just a little out of reach at this time, especially doing two new rifles.

I like the features on the VX6, the zero stop etc., just plopping down $1600 to $1800 is a little hard to swallow at this time.

Looking at the Viper Series, 6-24. These eyes are getting old, lol
If weight is not an issue, a Burris XTR will get you there and leave you some room for high quality rings.

FFP, zero stop, amazing glass for the money, plenty of elevation, and magnification to boot. A great scope for under $1k.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Old 02-12-2019, 11:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks Kwik,

Thanks for the info, will look into it.

I am very concerned about handling the recoil of the RUM. The RUM is not that bad, shot worst. But it does let you know you have shot something. I have a 338 Mag that kick harder, my Leup hold up to it fine.

If the Bull of a Lifetime walked out and I missed because the scopes POA moved, I might wrap it around the nearest tree, lol
Old 02-12-2019, 11:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Driver,

If I go with Leup's, it will prob be one of the VX5s.

Want a little bit more mag for these old eyes.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Can anyone compare a Leupold VX3i LRP to a Burris XTR?

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-17234...-goods&sr=1-13

https://www.amazon.com/LEU-172347-3I...g-goods&sr=1-1
Old 02-12-2019, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
I've never had my eyes behind that scope, or a VX3 with FFP at all but do own a VX3 in SFP. I can tell you right now, the times I've gone shooting in low light or bad weather, the Burris easily outshined the VX3.

I've stuck with NF for all my scopes; the VX3 I still own sits in the closet (almost new, used twice) and the PST I own is still on the rifle I mentioned earlier (the rifle and scope are spray painted since it's my beater-rifle).
Quote:
Old 02-12-2019, 12:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

4 different scope questions-

1- do the turrets stand up to heavy use? If you twist the turret for Wind and Elevation, will they hold zero? (box drill)

2- will the cross hair hold up to how you will use it? 300 RUM is 50%-75% more recoil than a 30-06. IF you hunt from a quad, if you check your rifle with TSA- will the cross hair hold up to how you will use the scope

3- Pirates Club- does the optic have enough eye relief for the calibers/ rifle weight/ recoil?

4- Does the company have an Awesome Warranty / customer service things that break?

Optional bonus item- does the scope/mount/rings "fit" with the value of the rifle?

Say you have a $5,000 Dakota Arms safari rifle - Tasco? Chinese made mount?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g_a7dQXilCo
“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson