Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-02-2018, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
The subsonics I use don't make a bang. Pssstt. Check out the different types available. The loads with a 60 gr lead bullet work great for me.

Psalm 1
What kind?
Old 09-03-2018, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
Ever heard of .22 subsonics ?

Psalm 1
The round might be quiet, but keep in mind that the coyote shot with that round is going to make one helluva noise and commotion during the last minutes of its life.
Old 09-03-2018, 2:15 PM
Veteran Member

Old 09-10-2018, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member

Best defense against coyotes for me at least is. visible abs
Old 09-11-2018, 7:18 AM

I live in the foothills of the San Gabriels and we have all the typical animals as neighbors. I have concern for only two: rattlesnakes and coyotes.

I have dealt with snakes but it is the one that you don't see when you go outside that concerns me. Had one get into the garage several years ago when I was away, my wife went to put items in the freezer and heard the rattles; looked around and it was in the classic coil mode, ready to strike. She called animal control and my son kept it cornered until they could take it away, just as I was driving in.

The coyotes only worry me in regards to the small children in the area and that could include my grandkids. A 'yote will attack smaller humans. We have had them in the yard often and I would have no problem pulling out the .22LR to take one down. Yes, I understand that .22LR might not take care of it immediately but I would hope to get in a follow-up kill shot.

In our area we often see folks walking with "walking sticks" or gold clubs. That should be enough to shoo even a determined 'yote away. As someone else said, bear spray might not be a bad idea, heck it would work on the one really efficient predator in the area, mountain lion.
Old 09-11-2018, 8:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I was walking the dog yesterday with the wife, spotted a coyote up on the hill we were about to climb, grabbed the dog so she would not go after it and the single coyote dropped down into a valley and left just as I was powering up my 40watt Plasma Rifle to take it out.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 09-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

For post # 41, Aguila .22 SSS black box with yellow trim, got 'em some years back, gun show fodder.

Psalm 1
Old 09-11-2018, 5:54 PM

Why don’t you just tell the yotes that you are illegal and move on by?
Old 09-13-2018, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin r View Post
My friend, I didn't mention that I'm 6', 190, in good shape, with many, many years of martial arts training in several different styles. I also have had many firearms training classes for my many firearms. My dog is a 95 lb german shepherd mix in the prime of her life.
Either my dog or I are able to defend ourselves, I'm just asking for some thoughts, but by all means flame away.
Oh my friend, you have entirely the wrong perspective on this thing. You are in California; simply cast off your shirt and strike a pose. You will likely provoke the beast to begin a relationship with you or your four-legged companion. A lasting bond may be the reward for your courageous gesture.

Last edited by isntzen; 09-13-2018 at 1:43 AM..
Old 09-13-2018, 7:28 AM

Question

71Musty

"Totally weird, I would have sworn you were asking us how you could defend yourself from Yotes.

Actually my dog used to go out and run with the Yotes at night, until they came into the yard and ate her food. Now she picks them up, shakes them and drops them - dead. No mess, no blood, easy to bury."

What bread is your dog and its' size?
Old 09-13-2018, 8:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesland View Post
71Musty

"Totally weird, I would have sworn you were asking us how you could defend yourself from Yotes.

Actually my dog used to go out and run with the Yotes at night, until they came into the yard and ate her food. Now she picks them up, shakes them and drops them - dead. No mess, no blood, easy to bury."

What's your dogs breed and weight?
If he catches them, my anatolian shepherd plays with them until they break.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 11-13-2018, 11:50 PM

I was placed in a scenario where a very big German Shepherd looking dog came rushing towards me as I was unlocking doors to enter my house. This dog was huge and had started barking I clapped and barked back but it wouldn't stop approaching so I had pulled my firearm out to use as a brass knuckle if my shoe didn't kick that dog. I eventually got my door open before the dog got to the steps but once I started retreating into my home the little booger actually came up to the porch growling! Very late night encounter with wildlife in an urban setting too. I've had packs of coyotes walk past me with the least bit of interest while enjoying my local riverbed but a solo domesticated dog would be the one to try and attack me in the most ironic place too. I haven't really seen much about using your firearm as a blunt weapon but that's the main reason why I choose to carry all metal heavy pistols!
Old 11-18-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrice6 View Post
Pick up your Chihuahua & raise your boot to the 20 pound yote
This
Coyotes are harmless
Old 11-19-2018, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Yotes do not play fair if three get your dog in a triangle attack, sorry, they win. Bear Spray and go for their face.
3 Coyotes jumped my cocker spaniel a few years back. My 15 year old (at the time) Bassett Hound ran in to help fight them off which only stalled their efforts. Me running out a few moments later with a big stick was enough to scare them off and that same stick would scare them off for the next 3 months until we moved. My uncle has a similar coyote issue in the hills and his walking stick has always been enough for them to scurry away when he raises it. Yotes have been more aggressive these past 10 years that I've noticed. At least in the parts where I've lived. A few times I've felt their fur brush against my leg as they ran past me in the morning.

WTB used AK MFER.
Old 11-19-2018, 3:19 PM
Veteran Member

Visible abs
Old 11-19-2018, 4:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Bear spray.
BB or air gun will get you in trouble.
We have the same problem in Torrance. I live in the north part of torrance and saw one running down the street one morning. Them come from Palos verdes, but I Think there are some in the park near me.

In Torrance, coyote are a protected animal.
The city won't trap them. If they do. They just take them to the hills and let them go.
Old 11-19-2018, 4:40 PM
Veteran Member

A 22LR should work. I have run across a few Coyotte while camping. They tend to not like humans and just walk away.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 11-19-2018, 5:13 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

I often walk my dog at night, and we have had several run-ins with coyotes. My dog just sees them as another dog, and wags his nub and they come over. Never has one gotten aggressive with him or me, and they just walk up, say hi, and take off running. The biggest one I've seen is still about half the size of my dog, so I'm not too worried.

They are small enough, I could just kick them between the goal posts without a problem if they did get too liberal with their teeth.
Old 11-19-2018, 7:10 PM
CGSSA Associate

One more killer gone in baja......good Bowie!

He's still in training but he's putting it all together this year.

Last edited by MJB; 06-01-2022 at 3:43 PM..
Old 11-27-2018, 9:40 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
One more killer gone in baja......good Bowie!

He's still in training but he's putting it all together this year.
NICE!

Did you see Shay got another dog from Dave?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 11-28-2018, 5:36 PM

Yotes that adapted to the urban environment are not the same as a "wild one". Although not in the urban environment, this is how to deal with those that don't back down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_uS4GUHGQ

Last edited by ratled; 11-28-2018 at 5:39 PM..
Old 11-28-2018, 6:23 PM
CGSSA Associate

Shay is crazy taking on two pups at once!

But he loves that breed and has a good handle how they think.

Time for you to get one they have great personalities great with families and the best all around hunting dog pound for pound.
Old 12-01-2018, 8:37 AM

The 'yotes around here are very used to humans and walk past only 25 to 30 feet away and just glance at us. There is no control on the population and they are getting out of control.

They are a "protected species" here in the state. I don't know if that is due to PETA or not. However, I would love to record an encounter of someone's pet dog or cat as they battle to the end of their life with a coyote or pack. It is not a nice sound!
Old 12-01-2018, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
The 'yotes around here are very used to humans and walk past only 25 to 30 feet away and just glance at us. There is no control on the population and they are getting out of control.

They are a "protected species" here in the state. I don't know if that is due to PETA or not. However, I would love to record an encounter of someone's pet dog or cat as they battle to the end of their life with a coyote or pack. It is not a nice sound!

Hear that all the time in my hood.
Old 01-19-2019, 3:34 PM

In my youth I took a few out with my long bow after we lost 2 cats. Nice and quiet.
Old 01-19-2019, 6:24 PM

It may sound funny but a good whack from a ball bearing or glass marble shot from a sling shot will send them hurting and running. If it hurts them enough they will remember the pain and keep their distance from humans.

Plus you can get a cheap daisy slingshot at Harbor Freight tools and use a 20% coupon!

https://www.harborfreight.com/f16-slingshot-65127.html
Old 01-20-2019, 6:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalman View Post

Coyotes are not protected. Mountain lions are.
Old 01-20-2019, 7:46 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Ground n' pound /thread

Old 02-09-2019, 11:22 AM
Administrator

A few thoughts...
-Coyotes rarely go after people. In fact, they are plentiful in my area and I have never heard of a case though they may go after small children.

- They are a threat to small animals but I would not worry about that if your pet was with you.

- I used to kill them when I worked in vineyards because they chewed the drip lines. Now that I have cattle and pasture, I like them because they help with ground squirrels

- That said, one started killing chickens earlier this year and I popped him with an M1a at 72 yards... everyone has their limits.

If you are really worried I guess you can get bear spray but I doubt you will need it.

Also, they are not protected here in CA

Old 02-09-2019, 11:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Are there reports of coyotes taking leashed Pets from owners or pets outdoors running loose? If your animals are outside running loose they aren't really pets. Take a walking stick with a nice heavy brass head on it...bit easier to walk with than a golf iron. If you do carry a golf club, I recommend a 5 or 6 iron for a larger contact area and a club head with more mass.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 02-09-2019, 3:53 PM
Veteran Member

Might want to check munu codes. Alameda county bans slingshot except at designated ranges.
Old 02-09-2019, 9:22 PM

I have coyotes behind my house, Small creek runs behind the house then a Forest, they walk up In down the creek like clock work, 9am and back just after getting dark. The dogs Have gotten so use to them, they don't even bark at them anymore, and never had any problems with them. Have 4 dogs ranging In size from 5lbs to 105lbs, Big dog Is a Malamute.
Old 02-10-2019, 3:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER295 View Post
A few thoughts...
- They are a threat to small animals but I would not worry about that if your pet was with you.
They have and will pull small pets off a leash in OC.
Old 02-11-2019, 5:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
They have and will pull small pets off a leash in OC.
Wow! They must be way tamer than the coyotes in my area. The last one I shot was at 72 yards and I was lucky to get that close. Almost every farmer and rancher in my area will shoot them on sight and they are very skittish. The ones in OC must be bolder because of the urban interface and less people after them.

Old 02-11-2019, 3:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER295 View Post
Wow! They must be way tamer than the coyotes in my area. The last one I shot was at 72 yards and I was lucky to get that close. Almost every farmer and rancher in my area will shoot them on sight and they are very skittish. The ones in OC must be bolder because of the urban interface and less people after them.
Yes, there are big behavioral differences between suburban and rural yotes.

Pets and small children are on the menu in LA Cnty.