Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 05-03-2018, 8:10 AM

Location: One of the several States comprising The United States of America, Unincorporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
Here is a re-test of the #1078 from AR500 Armor, which is a rebranded RMA plate. It seems indeed PE plates can stop M855, but only from SBR's or longer range distance
plate: https://goo.gl/HTUr62

Thanks Buff. As I've said before, there are no free lunches, physics: it's not just a good idea, it's the law! And, secret sauces only exist in fast food joints.
Old 05-30-2018, 1:51 PM

playing with copper solids in .30 cal today 115gr vs PE plate

Last edited by Buffman; 05-30-2018 at 1:55 PM..
Old 06-05-2018, 9:00 AM

Here is an M995, AP4, and SLAP test. Also tested some 152gr Tungsten .30 cal. Seems to be .30 cal is still king in level IV penetration

Old 06-28-2018, 8:48 AM
Calguns Addict

So to make a long, angry, sob story short, I'll try to make this brief!

Opticsplanet screwed me over. After suggestions from this thread, I went ahead and ordered a Shellback Tactical Banshee from them back in early April when it was on sale for $154. At the time it said 14-21 day delivery time and that was not a big deal. A week later it shows discontinued. Fast forward 3 months - Opticsplanet cancels my order after reassuring me that I'd receive mine "any week now" for the past 4 months. I have it all documented but they say it's now discontinued. I've been in contact with Shellback and it's not the case...

Anyway now that there are no sales, I don't want to spend $100 more for one. My use is to have in case SHTF (obviously) but I want to use it each month with my plates for conditioning during hikes and runs. I hike with gear on and want a rig that won't rip apart like the foreign made ones. But seeing as how I'm not LEO/MIL/High speed operator, I can't justify a high dollar plate carrier that's overkill for my stated needs.

As a cheaper alternative, I've been considering a Shellback Patriot for $184 shipped online. Is there anything you guys recommend at that price point? I really like the fact that Shellback is U.S. made (this is a requirement of mine) and that their customer service and owner were very nice and helpful towards me. I feel like they "deserve" my purchase if that makes sense but am open to hearing any suggestions you have to offer.

As a side note, after reading this thread I ended up with AR500 Lightweight level 3+ ASC plates. Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread and shared your info. Take care.

WTB used AK MFER.
Old 06-28-2018, 9:44 AM
Calguns Addict

On sale here

http://www.galls.com/shellback-tacti...-plate-carrier
Old 08-03-2018, 9:13 AM

Default Vest Project finally DONE

An old vest I revived and started using at the range again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15D13A3B-7B28-4241-B938-263523C96360.jpg (14.5 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg A635E53E-F833-459A-95D0-567A4810A8DB.jpg (12.0 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by DCH; 10-23-2018 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Missed to add info.
Old 09-03-2018, 2:27 PM

CATI Armor Level IIIA+

RMA #1155 vs M14A1 API:

Newer manufacturer Vet's MFG level III+ PE plate:

Last edited by Buffman; 09-03-2018 at 2:31 PM..
Old 09-03-2018, 3:33 PM

AR500 plates are reasonably priced but heavy as f**k. For riding about in a vehicle maybe, for moving they would slow most people down so much I don't think they are a good choice. Try to get ceramic.
Old 09-05-2018, 8:48 AM

Location: One of the several States comprising The United States of America, Unincorporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsk9 View Post
AR500 plates are reasonably priced but heavy as f**k. For riding about in a vehicle maybe, for moving they would slow most people down so much I don't think they are a good choice. Try to get ceramic.
Two things:

First, AR500 is pretty much obsolete at this point. If you are going steel, Armox Advance (or "AR650/AR1000") is the current standard. It can be made thinner/lighter than AR500 and stop M193 at 3000 fps.

Second, the weight difference between steel and ceramic plates is usually only about a pound or so. If you have the scratch to buy extra ceramic plates, then yes, ceramic makes more sense for you.

If you need lightweight plates, pure UHMWPE are the way to go. Steel and ceramic are basically the same.

Last edited by d-r; 09-05-2018 at 8:52 AM..
Old 09-05-2018, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Probably a dumb question but are you talking about plates made from AR500 steel, or plates made by “AR500”. I was under the impression the company AR500 didn’t use ar500 steel for their plates, and their plates are relatively light for what they are.
Old 09-06-2018, 5:14 AM

He means AR500 Steel. Most of them doing III+ are not using "AR500" steel anymore. CATI and others are using harder steel now to get the rating up on M193, because when the new standards come out RF1 covers M193, and I believe to make it to RF2 (M855) your plate must pass RF1.
Old 09-06-2018, 8:32 AM

XL SAPI plates in AR1000 weigh 9lbs. Ceramic is quite a bit lighter. My steel plates are old and AR500. They now sit in the closet and my other ceramic carriers are used. Will have to look into UHMWPE plates. Any recommendations?
Old 09-07-2018, 6:18 AM

RMA Defense/AR500 Armor sells a #1078 UHMWPE Level III. It stops M193 at like 3400+ fps, but will only stop sub 10.5" barrel M855 (like all PE plates)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
XL SAPI plates in AR1000 weigh 9lbs. Ceramic is quite a bit lighter. My steel plates are old and AR500. They now sit in the closet and my other ceramic carriers are used. Will have to look into UHMWPE plates. Any recommendations?
XL ESAPI weigh 8.2 lbs.

I recommend Midwest Armor Venture FM3+ if you are looking for the current lightest ceramic plate capable of stopping all level 3 threats, along with M193 and M855. It weighs in at 5.2# and 6.9# at medium and XL ESAPI respectively.

The standard Venture FM3 is the best lightweight, pure UHMWPE plate available currently, but will not stop M855 (as Buff mentioned, no pure UHMWPE plate will, it has to do with how the round interacts with the material).
Old 10-04-2018, 7:50 AM

Veterans MFG IIIA+

Chinese Body Armor Level IV, Militech. I could go either way on trusting armor manufactured in the China. They certainly make a quality product, but there's always that "made in China aspect". I would think if they want to be trusted they would seek out official NIJ certification on their panels to the latest standard. On the flip side, MANY retailers are using Chinese components to make their panels
Old 10-20-2018, 8:38 PM

I really have to post about bodyarmor testing after reading this entire- very well written and informative Post.

I was fortunate enough to be asked to tour Safariland’s ballistic testing lab in SoCal this past week.

After reading up on the finer points of ballistics, materials, shoot testing, and evaluations on this thread, I was primed and ready to learn the most I could about body armor and everything that goes into this fascinating field.

I met up with my tour liaison; the very attractive, 10+ year subject matter expert and Safariland soft armor product manager Nicole, who was gracious enough to set up this tour and was just an absolute professional and pleasure to meet. She introduced me to Safariland’s Ballistic T&E staff of four very knowledgeable and most welcoming team of industry insiders I’ve ever had the fortune to meet. Henry and Jeff were able to pull away to give me the rundown of their duties, while Frank was busy with the reality of what is compiling data from pages of recorded test results and related research for upcoming tasks and testing. Safariland in-house tests (for the most part- some testing occurs off-site) all of their ballistic packages and vest evaluations. From the production runs that must have a portion of pulled and subjected to shoot and stab tests, to the occasional special-project request that will more likely come down from corporate evaluation request, as well as T&E schedules that originate from some of the more esoteric agencies that require their very trusted and highly sought after test and eval work and findings.

Saving Lives require thorough and detailed testing of protective ballistics before a single new vest can hit the field, and the myriad of nationwide governmental agencies that require standing post with weapon and body armor know, and as mentioned- trust Safariland’s royal order of ballistic testing experts.
Honestly, the sheer volume of information and data these guys go through just could not be covered in totality within my hour long tour, but after asking my slew of curiosity questions about the ABCs of body armor, I began seeing myself in this business with every answer Henry, Nicole, and Jeff had for me. Each one were very versed in their respective fields while drawing from their extensive experience as ballistic vest industry SME’s, as well as their familiarity with firearms and ammunition characteristics.

What really became the highlight of my time with these professionals was seeing in person and hearing from their hearts just how much each enjoyed what they do- and the Love they had for doing their part in saving thousands of lives who in turn were dedicated to keeping them safe as well. This tour felt more like a reunion for this ex-law enforcement officer, a get together of long lost friends from the field, who made me feel like an insider amongst insiders again- for this I was forever grateful and indebted.

-Pete

Last edited by DCH; 10-28-2018 at 7:40 PM.. Reason: Edited for length.
Old 11-02-2018, 5:44 PM

Militech's SiC plate. Seems to me the 10oz weight savings may cost you more on the multi hit side of things:

Old 11-18-2018, 5:58 PM

338 at 45' You Bet!

Old 11-23-2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
Militech's SiC plate. Seems to me the 10oz weight savings may cost you more on the multi hit side of things:

Depends on how they deal with crack propagation between the tiles. SiC can be superior to even B4C plates when good design principles are used.
Old 11-25-2018, 4:52 PM

maybe a bit of a skew off topic, but I've wondered about text books being better than nothing - especially for school kids seemingly carrying multiple books these days - or any other SHTF scenario.
Bulky, yes, but better than nothing...?

https://www.concealedcarry.com/safet...-stop-bullets/
Old 11-26-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnc3r View Post
maybe a bit of a skew off topic, but I've wondered about text books being better than nothing - especially for school kids seemingly carrying multiple books these days - or any other SHTF scenario.
Bulky, yes, but better than nothing...?

https://www.concealedcarry.com/safet...-stop-bullets/
Interesting historical side note germaine to your question: The Chinese of antiquity made armor out of laminated paper. It was regarded as the most effective armor of its day. Even the half-wit numbskulls of MythBusters had to concede (after doing everything they could to F up the test...their "armor sample" was ludicrous).

To answer your question: yes, books that are thick enough will stop low- and medium velocity handgun rounds. High velocity pistol and rifle bullet won't notice them.

Last edited by d-r; 11-26-2018 at 11:35 AM..
Old 12-06-2018, 9:49 AM

The chase tactical ar1000 plates state:

Exterior Cover: 1000D Cordura®, Textured Nylon
Upgrade Finish: Polyurea ballistic fragment spall and blast coating Rhino Extreme 11-50 FR

Does this replace the splatter sleeves that d-r sells or are they still needed?

Old 12-06-2018, 10:04 AM

Also are the chase ar1000 the best steel plate available today?

Old 12-21-2018, 7:45 AM

No Idea, i've never tested them. It looks like CT re-brands a lot of Highcom plates. Interesting that their AR1000 is NIJ certified, but since level III only consists of M80, steel stops that without issue. I'd wait for RF1/2 to come out to find the "best" steel armor.

Last edited by Buffman; 12-21-2018 at 5:37 PM..
Old 12-21-2018, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

Are there any relatively inexpensive lightweight plates that stop both M193 and M855? Seems like you have to get pretty pricey to get both.

Last edited by smashycrashy; 12-21-2018 at 6:06 PM..
Old 12-21-2018, 5:38 PM

^M193 level III poly will stop, but not steel. M855 level III steel will stop, but not poly. Almost need a lightweight ceramic strike face level III+ to guarantee a stoppage of both. Or level IV.
Old 12-25-2018, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashycrashy View Post
Are there any relatively inexpensive lightweight plates that stop both M193 and M855? Seems like you have to get pretty pricey to get both.
Well, all the current plates made with Armox Advance will stop both, but "inexpensive" is relative. They will be about four times the price of AR500 plates of similar size.
Old 01-24-2019, 7:26 AM

Big site update for SHOT Show:

http://www.drmorgear.com
Old 01-30-2019, 1:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Soooo I guess that plastic stuff those dudes sell outside at costamesa crossroads are a no-go then..My dad just bought a 3IIA plastic vest from them for like $160. Guess he's gonna die if he got shot at.. Me personally I got an 10 year old RBR tactical vest I bought from Botach when they were off crenshaw blvd. I also got some Israeli SAPI plates that are heavy AF. I should post pics here.

Last edited by Neil McCauley; 01-30-2019 at 2:01 PM..
Old 01-31-2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Soooo I guess that plastic stuff those dudes sell outside at costamesa crossroads are a no-go then..My dad just bought a 3IIA plastic vest from them for like $160. Guess he's gonna die if he got shot at.. Me personally I got an 10 year old RBR tactical vest I bought from Botach when they were off crenshaw blvd. I also got some Israeli SAPI plates that are heavy AF. I should post pics here.
Friends don't let friends wear plastic "armor."

Will your dad die if he gets shot at? Well, probably not, if the round hits the armor, and it's not a contact shot. And if the vest wasn't left in a hot car trunk that got above 180 degrees F. But the point is, armor should not have to be treated like delicate china. Aramid-based (woven or wovenate) armor can be left in a car trunk with no worries. Contact shots? No problem.

It's a much more suitable material, and it's high time UHMWPE was disqualified for use as soft armor. A good start would be changing the NIJ requirements to mandate a thermal cycle test of 195 degrees for five hours.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:08 AM

Here's the mythical M993 vs one tough Level IV

Old 02-08-2019, 10:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-r View Post
Friends don't let friends wear plastic "armor."

Will your dad die if he gets shot at? Well, probably not, if the round hits the armor, and it's not a contact shot. And if the vest wasn't left in a hot car trunk that got above 180 degrees F. But the point is, armor should not have to be treated like delicate china. Aramid-based (woven or wovenate) armor can be left in a car trunk with no worries. Contact shots? No problem.

It's a much more suitable material, and it's high time UHMWPE was disqualified for use as soft armor. A good start would be changing the NIJ requirements to mandate a thermal cycle test of 195 degrees for five hours.
My dad walks early morning and wears that armor when its cold so I think it'll be ok if someone ever shot at him. He never keeps it in the car since he walks to a local track in the wee hours. But good to know I won't buy it for me then. Was going to cuz its light as hell.
Old 02-21-2019, 6:39 PM

Old 03-02-2019, 6:24 AM

I read the original post and didn't see anything about aramid. Paraclete uses it in their level IV stand also he. Is this stuff a no go?
Old 03-02-2019, 8:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtman View Post
I read the original post and didn't see anything about aramid. Paraclete uses it in their level IV stand also he. Is this stuff a no go?

Can you clarify your question? Aramid is good to go, as a plate backer.

Stay Safe and Shoot Straight.
Old 03-02-2019, 1:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone have any recent experiences with bulletproofme and their 'police surplus' line?
Old 03-04-2019, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtman View Post
Aramid= Kevlar/Twaron
Old 03-04-2019, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urduja View Post
Anyone have any recent experiences with bulletproofme and their 'police surplus' line?
As long as you call and verify the vest you are purchasing is 100% woven aramid, you should be fine. Some vests listed as "100% aramid" will be laminates, which are a no-go.

Any other material, also take a pass.

Woven aramid is the ONLY material that you can be certain will still be viable after being used for any length of time.

I have personally torture tested 35+ year old woven aramid vests, they are like fine wine, just get better with age.
Old 03-04-2019, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
My dad walks early morning and wears that armor when its cold so I think it'll be ok if someone ever shot at him. He never keeps it in the car since he walks to a local track in the wee hours. But good to know I won't buy it for me then. Was going to cuz its light as hell.
Keep in mind that UHMWPE vests are also vulnerable to contact shots, which have a good chance of blowing right through them.

Milk jug plastic melts, and muzzle blast is very hot.
Old 03-04-2019, 9:25 PM

More specifically about the Paraclete IV stand alone its alumina/aramid. I wanted to make sure that's not a UHMWPE proxy. It doesn't say anything about ceramic. Thanks for the help