Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-02-2017, 7:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Why we need threads like this!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/749...ow-Bear-Grylls
Old 01-02-2017, 1:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

So this breaks down to $1.59 a meal I'd you order the 222 Meal Pack

https://www.eatnano.eu/shop/222-nano-meals/
Old 02-21-2017, 6:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thinking if bringing the old pack out of retirement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-3273-1274941921.jpg (74.6 KB, 525 views)
Old 05-16-2017, 6:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Good item to add

https://picclick.com/Vintage-ENCORE-...078784783.html
Old 05-18-2017, 10:32 AM

Jumpin in the discussion late....Disclaimer....I only read the first page of this post....if this has been said already, then I "second" it....haha I get the "jist" of it.

I'll post pics of my BOB (Level 1) later. Here's what I suggest as a general rule.

- Have a plan
- Share your plan with family / friends (you trust or are bugging out with you)
- BLEND IN when you bug out!! If you've got a Alice pack on your back with two side arms and an AR hanging on your chest and tiger striped face paint....it's gonna be a long walk. Most likely you'll have to fight your way out of town. Not worth it. All you'll do is put you and your loved ones in harms way.
- Stay calm, breathe. No need to panic. Trust your "Plan" and your skills. It's been mentioned, but PRACTICE your skills, fire starting, using a compass etc. Don't rely on your phone. Plan on it being useless.
- Triple redundancy is a must. Space is valuable. Make every ounce count and if at all possible, try and use the item for more than one thing. Self explanatory. Remember, you're going to be hoofin this stuff around for a few days.
- No canned goods. Too heavy. Period. (Remember....this is for Level 1)
- Stick to dehydrated food. There's several tasty options that will give you the calories you need. They weigh almost nothing. Suggestion...if you're over a 150 pounds, don't buy the single serving meals...you'll need at least the "2 Serving" meal.
- In your first aid kit add super glue. Tons of uses for this. close a wound or start a fire.
- Take a day hike with your BOB every now and then. This way you can adjust your items (weight and size) and it won't be the first time you've put the thing on when the SHTF. Leave the guns at home of course....unless you live outside of California (aka 'Merica) where it's legal.
- Have a plan for your pets. Bring 'em? Leave 'em? Eat 'em? Just sayin. If you're like me and my dogs coming with us, she's another mouth to feed. I've got to carry her food. For her, 3-days = 3 cups of dry food. That'll do it. She's a 60 lb. lab/husky
- Stay focused on your plan. Unless your plan includes meeting new friends on your way out of town, keep to yourself, don't trust anyone. People will do just about anything when they're scared, hungry and a grocery store just walked by. Situational awareness is key. Think....trust your "gut feeling" we call it a "God feeling" in our family. It's usually right. Keep going.
- You can survive for a long time with just a knife, fire starting device and your BRAIN. Trust me.
- Have fun with it. I went camping with my kids once and told them "we're only using what's in our packs this weekend"...."pack your own pack with what you think you'll need"....(oh boy)
*12 yr old daughter's pack - Doritos, a Gatorade, and her phone
*8 yr. old son's pack - Buzz Light Year and a sling shot. He get's points for the sling shot....we laughed.

I feel like I'm starting to lecture....haha. Good thread guys. I've gotten some good ideas. I'll make my way through some of the other 45 pages.

Be safe....never give up.

Last edited by Specializedjon; 05-18-2017 at 10:35 AM..
Old 05-18-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
Thinking if bringing the old pack out of retirement
Do it...awesome.

Congrats on making out....TEXAS!! I'm jealous. I was stationed there. Great place, even better people.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Does this mean the Katrina left overs will move back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2017, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specializedjon View Post
BLEND IN when you bug out!! If you've got a Alice pack on your back with two side arms and an AR hanging on your chest and tiger striped face paint....it's gonna be a long walk. Most likely you'll have to fight your way out of town. Not worth it.
Seriously, this doesn't get mentioned enough that I've noticed. And im really not one to judge someone else choices, but its a big to me when I see people building there bags fully tactile operator status trying to look military with knifes, gear (stuff that should be packed inside) hanging all over on display. Why draw attention to yourself, that just screams look at me, I have weapons and survival gear and you dont, come rob me. Depending on the situation and how crazy things get, thats not always a good look to have and its unneeded anyways. Even if you choose a military styled bag with molle and half of what the military surplus store sells hanging all over it etc, just go with the plain black at least, or get a waterproof cover to make it look less flashy

Last edited by xxINKxx; 09-05-2017 at 8:59 PM..
Old 09-05-2017, 9:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxINKxx View Post
I have weapons and survival gear and you dont, come rob me.
Assuming I'm ready, willing, and able to use my weapons, how does that work? You "gray men" crack me up.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Assuming I'm ready, willing, and able to use my weapons, how does that work? You "gray men" crack me up.
Not a proponent for either method, just do what you gotta do. That being said, taking out Rambo walking down the street is done when they aren't looking or don't have their weapon at the ready and you do, or via any of many methods that catch people off-guard. No matter how much you may try, you cant be at 100% alertness all day and night, day after day, neither can you see nor hear everything.
Old 09-23-2017, 3:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Survival Food Ancient Norse Style

https://youtu.be/Doy4knWLCIA
Old 10-28-2017, 2:03 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

TTAK published a link to Survivor's Fortress "Bug Out Bag Essentials List: Our Complete Guide to Build a Good BOB" https://survivorsfortress.com/bug-ou...ist-and-guide/

Looks interesting and parts are very familiar.

Quote:
Fear is the mind killer
Well read in their Frank Herbert, I see.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-05-2019, 2:05 PM

Mine includes ----

Used Cell Phone with solar re-charger plus 3 x 64GB memory
plus has the FM radio activated.

I downloaded a ton of how-to and DIY video clips from youtube prep posts.
have everything from safe drinking water to medical first aid and tons of tips.
great way to keep lots of information at my finger tips ...anywhere and anytime.
and some books and music to keep up spirits.

All Cell Phones have a inactive FM radio embedded on a chip. You need software to
active it. No need to have a carrier service to use.
Old 05-14-2019, 9:22 AM

I had to take an inventory of my bug out bags recently and reassembled my Get Home Bag afterward. Went well! Check it out:

Last edited by DeadWhiteGoose; 05-14-2019 at 9:23 AM.. Reason: Link Did Not Work
Old 06-12-2019, 9:50 PM

I still got my old Alice pack.
Old 12-21-2020, 8:51 AM

How reasonable is a 12 inch crow bar vs say an 18 inch? Is it worth it to carry a 12 inch in hopes of reducing the weight load?
Old 12-22-2020, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
How reasonable is a 12 inch crow bar vs say an 18 inch? Is it worth it to carry a 12 inch in hopes of reducing the weight load?
I prefer a lighter weight flat pry bar (sometimes called a Wonder Bar), which can be used for so many tasks. Like this:

Old 01-01-2021, 2:32 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
I prefer a lighter weight flat pry bar (sometimes called a Wonder Bar), which can be used for so many tasks. Like this:

I got something similar at HF Tools. Worls well and seems durable. My main prybar I got at the refinery when I found it in a scrap metal bin.

PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

When pimping begins, friendship ends.

Don't let your history be a mystery
Old 01-01-2021, 2:39 PM

Either length but I favor light weight.

A good thing about pry bars is that they rarely get worn out. Great thing to find at a garage sale. The ones I have are about 40 years old.
Old 01-01-2021, 2:45 PM

I have recently added the TypeS brand battery pack to my car bag. I am more likely to use that then my pry bar.

https://www.costco.com/type-s-12v-ju...100681300.html