Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 01-18-2021, 12:08 PM

Default Locking gun in car

When you have to leave your gun in the car because you are going into a Federal building (for example) do you still wear your empty holster? Gun would be in lock box under seat.Thanks

Alan
Old 01-18-2021, 12:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwk View Post
When you have to leave your gun in the car because you are going into a Federal building (for example) do you still wear your empty holster? Gun would be in lock box under seat.Thanks

Alan
Why?

I carry IWB, so i remove holster with firearm. I much rather have the trigger guard covered at all times when not in use.

iTrader
Old 01-18-2021, 12:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Why subject yourself to scrutiny. Makes no sense.
Old 01-18-2021, 4:34 PM
Calguns Addict

The less you have to remove your gun from it's holster, the better. Better to take the whole holster off and lockup the entire thing. YMMV.

Fighter Pilot
Old 01-18-2021, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwk View Post

Alan
Honestly, avoid the further scrutiny and leave the holster in the trunk with your gun. Less hassle for you and the officers inside.
Old 01-18-2021, 6:10 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

... all of those responses require a holster easily removable from one's belt.

Easy enough, but requires planning.
Old 01-18-2021, 6:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I carry OWB so I unholster and lock up just the gun when I have to.

The only place I do that for is the post office. I go to one off the beaten path so it makes it easy.

Sent from my Amazon Fire Tablet using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 01-18-2021, 8:49 PM

I leave my holster on and just lock the gun up. I use a shirt or towel to cover what I'm doing so no cameras or people actually see the gun. I carry OWB on a belt and am not going to take all that time to peel a holster off.
Old 01-21-2021, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattail View Post
I leave my holster on and just lock the gun up. I use a shirt or towel to cover what I'm doing so no cameras or people actually see the gun. I carry OWB on a belt and am not going to take all that time to peel a holster off.
Just going to ask the question. How do you guys hide what you're doing? We were on a trip through OR last fall and as I don't have an OR CCW I was naked until getting back in Kommiefornyastan. I had my pistol in the trunk and planned on putting it in my holster (I was wearing it empty) when we stopped to eat. I didn't see a way that wouldn't be obvious to the people that were standing outside a store about 150' away. Seemed too obvious to me.
Old 01-21-2021, 1:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Just going to ask the question. How do you guys hide what you're doing? We were on a trip through OR last fall and as I don't have an OR CCW I was naked until getting back in Kommiefornyastan. I had my pistol in the trunk and planned on putting it in my holster (I was wearing it empty) when we stopped to eat. I didn't see a way that wouldn't be obvious to the people that were standing outside a store about 150' away. Seemed too obvious to me.
Depends how you carry.

I usually reholster with gun and holster together in the car. If there’s people, I’ll put up a sun shade and adjust if needed when I step out of the car. It helps that my front and rear windows are tinted though.

iTrader
Old 01-21-2021, 2:55 PM

Definitely worth investing in a holster that can come off when needed, but won't come off when you don't want it to.

Pull-the-Dot Soft Loops are an excellent retention mechanism, as is the Discrete Carry Concepts (DCC) Monoblock Clips (both available from JM Custom Kydex, my favorite!).
Old 01-21-2021, 3:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Oregon happens to be an open carry state - https://or-chl.com/open-carry.php I've seen it done a couple times, but not often.

However,
Quote:
It continues with the exemptions, but the important part is there, they [[cities/counties]] CAN regulate possession in public places, unless you have a CHL. Portland courts have defined the interior of your car, and even the deck of your house as "public places" for the purposes of this law.

Portland, Eugene, Beaverton and a few other areas have local ordinances against open carry. In these areas, a CHL is your friend.
My little town has nothing on the books, but we're near Eugene and go there around once per week.

The Eugene library has signs up prohibiting weapons; can't recall the exact verbiage, but I think that's the 'if we catch you we'll ask you to leave' sign.
Old 01-21-2021, 4:39 PM

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, I just do what I need to do, quickly and deliberately, and don't make a scene about it. Turns out, people don't pay attention.

You're fully aware of what you're doing, and assume others that see you fiddling around with your belt line screams GUN... it doesn't. Kind of like how you probably fiddled with your gun/belt constantly when you first went out in public after getting your permit... you were super self conscious about it and assumed everyone just knew you were carrying... they didn't.

Unless you're looking around all suspiciously, standing awkwardly by your trunk for several minutes... nobody is watching you.

Use common sense though - don't start strapping up right in front of a busy store where it's obvious what you're doing. And keep the gun in the holster... not only does it make it safer, it also makes it look less like a gun from distance.
Old 01-23-2021, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRefuge View Post
To be perfectly honest, I just do what I need to do, quickly and deliberately, and don't make a scene about it. Turns out, people don't pay attention.

You're fully aware of what you're doing, and assume others that see you fiddling around with your belt line screams GUN... it doesn't. Kind of like how you probably fiddled with your gun/belt constantly when you first went out in public after getting your permit... you were super self conscious about it and assumed everyone just knew you were carrying... they didn't.

Unless you're looking around all suspiciously, standing awkwardly by your trunk for several minutes... nobody is watching you.

Use common sense though - don't start strapping up right in front of a busy store where it's obvious what you're doing. And keep the gun in the holster... not only does it make it safer, it also makes it look less like a gun from distance.
Thanks and you're right! After 5 months I'm still self-conscience and am positive it's obvious I'm carrying. I was in a full-blown panic yesterday as after we got to Costco I realized I forgot my wallet! I was positive I would be discovered and I "hid" as much as I could behind the cart.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that unless the firearm actually shows (or silhouettes badly), no one knows what to look for, if they're even looking at all; which, as you pointed out, they aren't.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:06 AM
CGN Contributor

If you need to put-on-take-off all day, the paddle holster was invented for you.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It depends on my holster. The only easy holsters to remove and put on are my ones with ulticlips, but my main holsters/guns don't use those. The holsters with belt clips are much more cumbersome to remove ESPECIALLY if I'm doing it out in public. If I'm planning on going to the post office or something, then I plan ahead as far as what gun/holster I'm carrying. So it's almost never been an issue.

Generally, if I can remove my holster quickly and with ease and without looking like I'm j*rking myself off, I'll do it. Otherwise, gun gets drawn from holster and goes into a lockbox secured to my vehicle.
Old 01-26-2021, 8:11 AM

Reading this thread I just realized Costco doesn't allow CCW. Oops.

I can't remember the last time I went into a post office. It's probably been over a decade. Both of my holsters are IWB. I slip them on and off every time I get in the car, or walk into the house. I might go several days (weeks?) without ever removing the gun from the holster.
Old 01-26-2021, 8:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by I take shots View Post

I can't remember the last time I went into a post office. It's probably been over a decade. Both of my holsters are IWB. I slip them on and off every time I get in the car, or walk into the house. I might go several days (weeks?) without ever removing the gun from the holster.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 01-26-2021, 11:34 AM
Why Change the Default?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I take shots View Post

Since posted signs do not carry the force of law in CA, is it a problem knowing that Costco "doesn't allow CCW?"

Katie
Old 01-26-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Since posted signs do not carry the force of law in CA, is it a problem knowing that Costco "doesn't allow CCW?"

Katie
From what I have read on the internet (has to be true) they can only tell you to leave, and then it becomes an issue of trespassing if you don't.

I suspect they could cancel and refund your membership which would be lame, but I doubt they would do that if you claimed it was a mistake and offered to go put it away.
Old 01-26-2021, 2:53 PM

Quote:

Katie
It depends on your IA and their policies.

Sacramento, for instance, requires CCW holders to obey "No Guns Allowed" signs on businesses - meaning if you got into a situation where you needed to draw and/or fire your weapon while on premise, your permit is technically invalid and you're just a dude with a gun in a store... not a great start to your ensuing legal battle.

It's a legal grey area, and I'm unsure if it's ever been challenged in court. The edict is written on an informational pamphlet you receive when picking up your permit, and you agree to follow your IA's policies when signing for the thing. It's basically legal cover for the IA, since they want to do nothing that would upset the existing state policies. They can point at this policy and say "we told him no", when the business sues the state/county for your CCW permit and weapon being on their property.

It may be better to be alive and have legal trouble than dead... pretty sure your IA's policies don't say anything about that though.

Last edited by NorCalRefuge; 01-26-2021 at 3:04 PM..
Old 01-31-2021, 2:08 PM

I've never seen a sign outside a Costco that prohibits weapons on their property? Does that mean no cops are allowed inside? Or, if there are exceptions to the rule, are they posted?
Old 01-31-2021, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
I've never seen a sign outside a Costco that prohibits weapons on their property? Does that mean no cops are allowed inside? Or, if there are exceptions to the rule, are they posted?

I went to Costco yesterday; while waiting for my wife to retrieve her phone she left in her car, I specifically looked for no gun sign at the entrance but couldn’t find any.

Didn’t see no LEO inside the store nor any exception sign neither.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2021, 6:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you're doing it right, concealed means concealed.
Old 01-31-2021, 8:00 PM
Why Change the Default?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCarpenter View Post
If you're doing it right, concealed means concealed.
I hear you. And I hear that statement all the time. But I think NorCalRefuge has a great point with, "meaning if you got into a situation where you needed to draw and/or fire your weapon while on premise, your permit is technically invalid and you're just a dude with a gun in a store... not a great start to your ensuing legal battle"

Katie
Old 01-31-2021, 10:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I hear you. And I hear that statement all the time. But I think NorCalRefuge has a great point with, "meaning if you got into a situation where you needed to draw and/or fire your weapon while on premise, your permit is technically invalid and you're just a dude with a gun in a store... not a great start to your ensuing legal battle"

Katie
What type of start would it be to your legal battle if you were...ya know...DEAD...because you didn't have your gun on you when you CLEARLY needed it?

Fighter Pilot
Old 02-01-2021, 4:34 PM
Veteran Member

Locked box in car, securely attached near the spare tire in the trunk. Holster also stays in the car. Easy.
Old 02-13-2021, 7:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Some clarifications:

1. COSTCO is a Membership relationship. Your agreement includes a prohibition against firearms.
Quote:
Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It isn't open to the general public. As such, it restricts membership to qualified individuals who agree to our membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce our membership rules.

At Costco, we don't believe it's necessary to bring firearms into its warehouses, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace.
If they detect you, they will ask you to leave. You stay, they call the cops. Cops arrive and report your activities to your IA. Your IA doesn’t like the publicity or risk, so you permit gets revoked. It’s a “may issue” state, which means the IA “may” revoke you.

Worse yet, COSTCO will terminate your membership!

2. Sac Sheriff policy states:
Quote:
Restrictions Applicable to All Sacramento Sheriff’s Office Permit Holders (Permit will be invalid if violated):
-Not valid if consuming alcohol or remaining at any establishment that primarily serves alcohol.
-No permitted weapon is allowed where weapons are prohibited by law.
-No permitted weapon is allowed at locations where a sign is posted prohibiting weapons.
Arguably, since this is labeled by the Sheriff as a “restriction” and is not included on the license, it has no weight in law. The Statute separates “conditions” from ‘restrictions”.
Quote:
26200. (a) A license issued pursuant to this article may include any reasonable restrictions or conditions that the issuing authority deems warranted, including restrictions as to the time, place, manner, and circumstances under which the licensee may carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(b) Any restrictions imposed pursuant to subdivision (a) shall be indicated on any license issued.
Subdivision (a) clearly separates “restrictions” or “conditions, but subdivision (b) only requires “restrictions” to be entered on the license. If a “restriction”is stated anywhere except on the license, it appears to have no weight under the statute.

Note, again: Your IA doesn’t like the publicity or risk, so you permit gets revoked. It’s a “may issue” state, which means the IA “may” revoke you.

(Not a lawyer, just a guy who can read English.)

Best.
Old 02-17-2021, 2:50 AM

Government rules are one thing and they are there is no competition for what you business you have in s government building, but if a private business has restrictions you don't like, take your business elsewhere and let them know why you did.
Old 02-17-2021, 3:54 AM

Discussions like this reinforce the wisdom of emigrating to a free(ish) state - shall issue, open carry allowed, and local firearms restrictions pre-empted.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-17-2021, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok55 View Post
...if a private business has restrictions you don't like, take your business elsewhere and let them know why you did.
In 2020, Costco had 105,500,000 memberships.

Tell them you don’t like the membership agreement.

Costco will then have 105,499,999 memberships.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
In 2020, Costco had 105,500,000 memberships.

Tell them you don’t like the membership agreement.

Costco will then have 105,499,999 memberships.
I go into Costco armed all the time. Have been since I obtained my CCW. That's the beauty of concealed; they don't know.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I go into Costco armed all the time. Have been since I obtained my CCW. That's the beauty of concealed; they don't know.
Same here.

In CA, most don’t notice anything besides what’s in front of them.

iTrader
Old 02-17-2021, 12:08 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I carry OWB out here a lot, shirt-jac cover garment in a level 2 Serpa. I just unholster it and stick it in the box tethered to the seat. I don't give a flip what anyone thinks of my holster if they see it.

When I carry IWB, I remove the holster with the gun.
Old 02-17-2021, 3:27 PM

If you’re taking off your firearm/holster together and keeping them in the car, are you keeping it loaded then? I was thinking that firearm needed to be locked unloaded if you’re not there.
Old 02-17-2021, 4:15 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdogz View Post
If you’re taking off your firearm/holster together and keeping them in the car, are you keeping it loaded then? I was thinking that firearm needed to be locked unloaded if you’re not there.
Well that wouldn't change whether or not it was in the holster would it?
Old 02-19-2021, 5:17 AM

Thank you Dvrjon,
I didn't think of the membership agreement I didn't read 21 years ago when the fine CostCo employee took my photo which is still on my CostCo card today.

My educated guess is that the business wants to avoid liability issues in case of a firearm use on their premises, or, here, specifically, in one of their stores. We live in a litigation-crazy society and a shot customer could sue the living daylights out of Costco for allowing guns inside their stores. That's a greater danger than a dead shooter's next of kin suing CostCo for not having allowed the deceased to protect him or herself with a firearm.

I frequently carry inside businesses, but I carry concealed so it's a non-issue. If there's ever a situation where I fear to be gunned down -- as it happened a few years back at a L.A. Trader Joe's -- I prefer to be able to defend my life over the CostCo membership benefits. To be honest, I'm not a fan of leaving my firearm in the car, for obvious reasons.
Old 02-19-2021, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdogz View Post
CA PEN 25140 doesn’t require the handgun to be unloaded.