Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-22-2023, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Went to the range this morning to practice. Was in the indoor range and the furthest distance was 17 yards, so all I did was take 17 yard shots in groups of five shots. These were my first five shots with the Shield. Not bad for only shooting a few rounds through the gun when I bought it just to see if it would cycle a few mags of hollow points, then out it back int he safe until today. For the rest of the session kept most of the shots in the 5 zone, with a few strays that went into the 4 zone. Would be nice to score 90% so I could add a seconds handgun, but I also think I read somewhere that for your initial permit you're still only allowed one handgun?

Is ACSO still using this target, or have they switched to a different target?

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 01-22-2023 at 10:42 AM..
Old 01-22-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
Went to the range this morning to practice. Was in the indoor range and the furthest distance was 17 yards, so all I did was take 17 yard shots in groups of five shots. These were my first five shots with the Shield. Not bad for only shooting a few rounds through the gun when I bought it just to see if it would cycle a few mags of hollow points, then out it back int he safe until today. For the rest of the session kept most of the shots in the 5 zone, with a few strays that went into the 4 zone. Would be nice to score 90% so I could add a seconds handgun, but I also think I read somewhere that for your initial permit you're still only allowed one handgun?

That is not the current target. The current target has 6, 5 and zero, but according to the range when I was there last week they are still using the 5, 4 and 3 scoring for CCW. Not sure how that maps out on the new targets but there are some non designated rings. PM me and I can send an photo of the new target, I can’t post photos.

AKA RAD-G27

Old 01-22-2023, 8:46 PM

Default Safety Class

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll try security six since I am close to Hayward that would be most convenient.

I was told during my interview only one gun, period but that another may be added upon renewal. I’m not sure why except for the fact that they may not want to take more time per person for qualification?
Old 01-22-2023, 9:09 PM

Most qualification classes has individual qualifying with > 1 person with multiple firearms. There's time; the bottleneck isnt the instructors
Old 01-23-2023, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

I initially applied the evening of the Bruen decision.

I usually responded promptly to any emails from ACSO and always tried to schedule any appointments (interview, fingerprinting) and submit any requested documents ASAP.

Passed the psych evaluation last week.

Have my qualification test scheduled for next month with ACSO.

FWIW, ACSO did accept my 16-hour, 2-day California CCW class I took last summer, and did not make me re-take any class. I mentioned that at the time I applied and took the class it was still approved by Alameda County, and they only made the decision to change the rules/requirement well after I applied. They did not give any push back on this and accepted it.

This 16-hour course also allowed me to apply for my CCW in a few other states which I have applied to and already received permits from those states several month ago last year.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 01-23-2023 at 4:38 PM..
Old 01-23-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:

If those 5 rds were each from 17yds then I think you'll get to 90% overall. Fine shooting for a small carry gun with crunchy trigger.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTheNewbie View Post
If those 5 rds were each from 17yds then I think you'll get to 90% overall. Fine shooting for a small carry gun with crunchy trigger.
Thanks. Things stayed pretty consistent and I fired 100 rounds or so that day. Those five shots were cold, not being to the range or shooting in a few months, and slacking off on dry practice at home, which I will be doing more of.

Trigger isn't so bad. I've dry-fired it a bunch when I first got it while just sitting on the couch watching TV and after doing that a few thousand times the trigger has smoothed out noticeably.
Old 01-23-2023, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobie678 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll try security six since I am close to Hayward that would be most convenient.

I was told during my interview only one gun, period but that another may be added upon renewal. I’m not sure why except for the fact that they may not want to take more time per person for qualification?
Are you going to be in the class this Wednesday? That’s the class that I’m taking. He only does them every other Wednesday.

AKA RAD-G27

Old 01-23-2023, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumzer View Post
LEO Defensive Concepts - Joe Leonardo - 209.321.9692

I used Joe/ LEO defensive. He was a lieutenant at livermore PD, and 2 of his 3 instructors were active duty SWAT Leo's with local agencies. Livermore rod and gun is really nice this time of year as well.
I'm set to take the class with Joe/LEO in a few weeks! Talked to Joe on the phone for a bit and he answered all my questions (and also helped me with the proof of registration matter).
Old 01-23-2023, 3:52 PM

Us 6/25 guys sitting here
Old 01-23-2023, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD-CDPII View Post
Are you going to be in the class this Wednesday? That’s the class that I’m taking. He only does them every other Wednesday.
I spoke with Larry today and scheduled for 2/1. I would do it this week but I am out of town. I'm struggling with choosing which gun to qualify with for my permit. It's between my G19 and Ruger LC9. I am more confident I could qualify easily with the Glock but would rather carry the LC9 for better comfort and conceal-ability (yes, I know the ccw is supposed to me "comforting" and not necessarily "comfortable"). I am not confident at 25 yards with the LC9 but I will work on it at the range before the qualification. I also have not been to a range in CA since the new ammo laws passed. I am in NV a several times a year and have been shooting out there ever since. I used to go to Target Masters West but have not found a new range close to home since they have closed.
Old 01-23-2023, 7:53 PM

Quote:
I spoke with Larry today and scheduled for 2/1. I would do it this week but I am out of town. I'm struggling with choosing which gun to qualify with for my permit. It's between my G19 and Ruger LC9. I am more confident I could qualify easily with the Glock but would rather carry the LC9 for better comfort and conceal-ability (yes, I know the ccw is supposed to me "comforting" and not necessarily "comfortable"). I am not confident at 25 yards with the LC9 but I will work on it at the range before the qualification. I also have not been to a range in CA since the new ammo laws passed. I am in NV a several times a year and have been shooting out there ever since. I used to go to Target Masters West but have not found a new range close to home since they have closed.
Qualify on something you will carry and be comfortable with. Does no good if it’s at home. I’m going with a Sig P938, easy and comfortable to carry and conceal OWB. I would like my Kimber Ultra CDP II .45ACP on the license, but can only carry when dress permits, like in NV during the winter. At least they have the same battery of arms so it’s natural to switch between the two. Good luck

AKA RAD-G27

Old 01-23-2023, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Qualify on something you will carry and be comfortable with. Does no good if it’s at home. I’m going with a Sig P938, easy and comfortable to carry and conceal OWB. I would like my Kimber Ultra CDP II .45ACP on the license, but can only carry when dress permits, like in NV during the winter. At least they have the same battery of arms so it’s natural to switch between the two. Good luck
This is true but if I attempt with the LC9 and fail the qualifier then I have nothing at all so may be better to go with the G19 so at least I have an option to carry something. I don’t understand the long range shots to qualify. When I qualified for NV it was only at 21 ft and I can’t fathom a scenario where I would be engaging a threat beyond that distance with my ccw anyway. A threat at a greater distance than that I would be running away from it not standing and shooting at it.
Old 01-24-2023, 7:20 AM

Quote:
This is true but if I attempt with the LC9 and fail the qualifier then I have nothing at all so may be better to go with the G19 so at least I have an option to carry something. I don’t understand the long range shots to qualify. When I qualified for NV it was only at 21 ft and I can’t fathom a scenario where I would be engaging a threat beyond that distance with my ccw anyway. A threat at a greater distance than that I would be running away from it not standing and shooting at it.

Go do a few mock qualifications to establish a baseline with your LC9. It only requires 70% to pass. If you can keep it on target to 15 yards you'll have no trouble qualifying.
Old 01-24-2023, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightCoastBiased View Post
Interesting, I submitted on 6/28 and have heard nothing from the Sheriff's office since the 7/22 email "don't call us, we'll call you".

I emailed Judea Mulder about my interview, as someone here with a 6/30 application submission date has already had their first interview. Having applied on 6/28, I was concerned I missed a communication from ACSO or had been skipped.

I got a response from Judea, and was told that i'll "be interviewed late this quarter or early next quarter of this year".

It's amazing how slow they are, and how ridiculous and excessive their process is.
Old 01-24-2023, 7:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightCoastBiased View Post
I emailed Judea Mulder about my interview, as someone here with a 6/30 application submission date has already had their first interview. Having applied on 6/28, I was concerned I missed a communication from ACSO or had been skipped.

I got a response from Judea, and was told that i'll "be interviewed late this quarter or early next quarter of this year".

It's amazing how slow they are, and how ridiculous and excessive their process is.
It's not all that amazing, once you accept that not only are they are not on our side, but they are actively working against us.
Old 01-24-2023, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb78 View Post
It's not all that amazing, once you accept that not only are they are not on our side, but they are actively working against us.
While it is certainly expected, having applied and received permits in a few other states, I do find it amazing ACSO is able to get away with such a draconian process. It's clear they're making it excessively difficult and expensive to dissuade people from completing the process, or applying at all.
Old 01-24-2023, 7:52 PM

Had interview at start of November and heard nothing since. When queried the lack of progress, I received an email stating that due to the transition to the new sheriff then everything is now delayed and moving more slowly. Slower than what ? Continental drift?
The email stated they will get to applications when time allows! WTF!
Old 01-24-2023, 8:17 PM
Veteran Member

To all of you experiencing delays and frustrated that your application seems to be stalled or haven't heard back from ACSO for months and haven't been moved forward, you should consider contacting Michel & Associates and let them know, and consider becoming a potential plaintiff in a possible case against ACSO. Instead of complaining about it (which is warranted, of course) act on it and get involved. Don't just sit back and assume others will step up. The more who get involved the louder our voice and the greater chance we have of getting this issue addressed.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 01-24-2023 at 8:20 PM..
Old 01-24-2023, 8:18 PM

Please send the note to Kostas and or CPRA. This may contradict what Kostas reported he was told from their counsel.

https://twitter.com/moroskostas/stat...FcMQ_EvtwE8XPw
Old 01-25-2023, 2:47 AM

Has anyone tried to change the weapon on your application after the fact? On the application I thought it said list up to 3 weapons and I did. During my interview I was told I had to choose one. Since then I picked up a P365X in anticipation of getting my CCW. I emailed the make, model, caliber and serial to Judea and the other sheriffs on the email thread they started with me. Have not received a reply.

Applied 6/26 AM
Interview 12/7
Was told this would take 12-18 months more
Old 01-25-2023, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk3000 View Post
Has anyone tried to change the weapon on your application after the fact? On the application I thought it said list up to 3 weapons and I did. During my interview I was told I had to choose one. Since then I picked up a P365X in anticipation of getting my CCW. I emailed the make, model, caliber and serial to Judea and the other sheriffs on the email thread they started with me. Have not received a reply.

Applied 6/26 AM
Interview 12/7
I sent a note to update my weapon as well. I received a reply back to the effect of "noted - we may ask for this info again later". it didn't seem to be an issue, at least in comparison to the extraordinarily slow speed of the process.
Old 01-25-2023, 6:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk3000 View Post

Applied 6/26 AM
Interview 12/7
I changed mine the day of quals its what the range master puts on paper. You will be instructed on what to do during quals they make mistakes on paper so everyone is fine up until the range master writes on the paperwork.
Old 01-25-2023, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnafarry View Post
Had interview at start of November and heard nothing since. When queried the lack of progress, I received an email stating that due to the transition to the new sheriff then everything is now delayed and moving more slowly. Slower than what ? Continental drift?
The email stated they will get to applications when time allows! WTF!
Does anyone know what that means for those who have been instructed to move to the safety class? I thought that meant the application was already approved back in December by Ahern before the swearing in of the new sheriff? Does that mean we have to go through approval again under the new sheriff?
Old 01-25-2023, 10:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Does anyone know what that means for those who have been instructed to move to the safety class? I thought that meant the application was already approved back in December by Ahern before the swearing in of the new sheriff? Does that mean we have to go through approval again under the new sheriff?
From what I heard from 1st hand individuals the new Sheriff was already involved with CCW. And Yes her signature is what is needed from what I was told.
Old 01-26-2023, 8:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What do you mean by “approval”? If you started the process you don’t have to reapply or start over simply because there is a new sheriff.

If you are instructed to proceed to the safety class it means you passed/completed all the previous steps of the application, most recently passing your psychiatric evaluation and now can move on to taking an approved class which will then allow you to take the qualification test and if passed receive your permit.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 01-26-2023 at 8:47 AM..
Old 01-26-2023, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Try Guns Fishing and other Stuff in Dublin, range is open Tuesday thru Saturday and it goes out to 20+ yds. Also, Larry’s class has a simulator that you can try at the end of the class which gives you the range and times that the ACSO uses for the actual qual. Bring both guns and holsters to the class, no ammo! Larry can give you some good advice. Good luck. The class was great.

AKA RAD-G27

Old 01-26-2023, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWE View Post
From what I heard from 1st hand individuals the new Sheriff was already involved with CCW. And Yes her signature is what is needed from what I was told.
AWE, question. I believe that you have already passed the Range Qual. Do you have the CCW yet, and if so, how long did it take? If not, any idea how long it will take for the SO to process it. Thanks

AKA RAD-G27

Old 01-26-2023, 10:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
AWE, question. I believe that you have already passed the Range Qual. Do you have the CCW yet, and if so, how long did it take? If not, any idea how long it will take for the SO to process it. Thanks
Zero permits issued since the post-SCOTUS ruling. We were told the New Sheriff has to review and sign off on each one. Incorrect info and payment need to be verified and cleared before issuing the permit. According to past applicants' information it can take 10-15 days for final approval after Quals. I am close to 15 days.
Old 01-26-2023, 7:24 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by “approval”? If you started the process you don’t have to reapply or start over simply because there is a new sheriff.

If you are instructed to proceed to the safety class it means you passed/completed all the previous steps of the application, most recently passing your psychiatric evaluation and now can move on to taking an approved class which will then allow you to take the qualification test and if passed receive your permit.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought they were not allowed to collect the full payment and direct an applicant to proceed to training unless and until the application was approved by the sheriff meaning at that point as long as the training is completed and the qualification is passed a permit then essentially shall be issued (in other words, it is no longer discretionary).
Old 01-26-2023, 7:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought they were not allowed to collect the full payment and direct an applicant to proceed to training unless and until the application was approved by the sheriff meaning at that point as long as the training is completed and the qualification is passed a permit then essentially shall be issued (in other words, it is no longer discretionary).
Not sure where you're getting this. I've had my interview, paid the application fee, fingerprints and picture taken, passed the psych eval, completed training and I am scheduled for my qual next month.

My understanding is once you successfully pass all of these steps it goes in front of the Sheriff who will sign off and issue your permit. What's different now is the Sheriff can't deny to issue you a permit if you've successfully completed all the required steps simply because they don't want to, or for any other arbitrary reason.

When I applied I remember reading that payment doesn't guarantee a permit, and if you do not receive a permit for whatever reason, you will not be refunded the application fee.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 01-26-2023 at 8:01 PM..
Old 01-26-2023, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Not sure where you're getting this. I've had my interview, paid the application fee, fingerprints and picture taken, passed the psych eval, completed training and I am scheduled for my qual next month.

My understanding is once you successfully pass all of these steps it goes in front of the Sheriff who will sign off and issue your permit. What's different now is the Sheriff can't deny to issue you a permit if you've successfully completed all the required steps simply because they don't want to, or for any other arbitrary reason.

When I applied I remember reading that payment doesn't guarantee a permit, and if you do not receive a permit for whatever reason, you will not be refunded the application fee.
According to PC 26190(b) they can only charge the first 20% of the fees upfront and may only collect the remaining balance upon issuance of the license. But then again, since when do the follow state law?

(b) (1) The licensing authority of any city, city and county, or county shall charge an additional fee in an amount equal to the reasonable costs for processing the application for a new license, issuing the license, and enforcing the license, including any required notices, excluding fingerprint and training costs, and shall transmit the additional fee, if any, to the city, city and county, or county treasury.
(2) The first 20 percent of this additional local fee may be collected upon filing of the initial application. The balance of the fee shall be collected only upon issuance of the license.
Old 01-27-2023, 4:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
According to PC 26190(b) they can only charge the first 20% of the fees upfront and may only collect the remaining balance upon issuance of the license. But then again, since when do the follow state law?

(b) (1) The licensing authority of any city, city and county, or county shall charge an additional fee in an amount equal to the reasonable costs for processing the application for a new license, issuing the license, and enforcing the license, including any required notices, excluding fingerprint and training costs, and shall transmit the additional fee, if any, to the city, city and county, or county treasury.
(2) The first 20 percent of this additional local fee may be collected upon filing of the initial application. The balance of the fee shall be collected only upon issuance of the license.
Well, there's also a penal code that says they need to issue or deny within 90 days of receiving an individuals application or 30 days after receiving an applicant's criminal background check, whichever is the latter, and they certainly aren't adhering to that either.

I am only relaying my experience, and have already paid the full $195 application fee. I was immediately refunded the full application fee when I initially applied and only later received an email instructing me to pay the full $195 fee in order to move onto the next steps of the application. This was 4 months after I initially submitted my application, after I had my in-person interview. I was instructed by ACSO to pay in full in order to proceed and move the process along at the same time I was told to schedule my Live Scan and fingerprinting. I completed my Live Scan and fingerprinting and mailed a check for the full $195 the following day.

Cal. Penal Code section 26205 states:

“The licensing authority shall give written notice to the applicant indicating if the license under this article is approved or denied. The licensing authority shall give this notice within 90 days of the initial application for a new license or a license renewal, or 30 days after receipt of the applicant’s criminal background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later. If the license is denied, the notice shall state which requirement was not satisfied.”

I have also paid $155 for the psych evaluation and had to pay for the safety/training class.

The ACSO CCW application page is a bit confusing if you read it now (it's changed quite a bit since I applied and it did initially require you to pay the entire application fee in full and said that payment doe not guarantee being issued a permit, and if you are denied you will not get a refund). It now says that "During the application process, the applicant will be asked to schedule an interview appointment for a new Concealed Carry Weapon license. Please note that for a new Concealed Carry Weapon license a $115 application fee will be required to reserve an appointment for an interview." Then In a following paragraph it then states, "The administrative cost for a New Concealed Carry Weapon license is $195.00. An applicant will pay a non-refundable $100 application fee, and if approved, be asked to pay an additional $95 prior to receiving their Concealed Carry Weapon license." Those two statements are basically a paragraph apart on the application webpage, yet sort of contradict each other and the amounts are different in each statement.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 01-27-2023 at 5:12 AM..
Old 01-30-2023, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Finally got a chance to shoot out to 25 yards this morning with the S&W Shield. No warming up, just put the target at 25 yards and get to it!

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 01-30-2023 at 1:33 PM..
Old 01-30-2023, 12:38 PM

That'll work just fine @VinneBoombatz!
Old 01-30-2023, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Finally got a chance to shoot out to 25 yards this morning with the S&W Shield. No warming up, just put the target at 25 yards and get to it!

You should have no problems!

AKA RAD-G27

Old 01-31-2023, 6:19 PM

6/25 applicant here. Just got emailed to schedule livescan.
Old 01-31-2023, 6:30 PM

Me too ! Likewise 6/25 applicant.
Old 01-31-2023, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrye View Post
Me too ! Likewise 6/25 applicant.
Keep patient, just got to taking the class, 623 club. It will still take a while. Better than the 701 club.

AKA RAD-G27

Old 01-31-2023, 9:10 PM

With CPRA/Michel & Associates February 10th timeline coming up. I'm curious to see if things will pick up quicker.