Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-22-2023, 1:13 AM

Default Blocking YouTube ads on your router using raspberry pi

So between me the wife and the kid weíve been watching a lot of YouTube lately and Iím getting tired of yards did a couple quick Google searches and it says basically the best way to get rid of it is a raspberry PI with a program download it onto it. Seems pretty inexpensive has anyone gone this route or knows of a better way Iím new to this so itís only the first thing Iíve come across I just wanna make sure Iím not missing something here. Thanks ahead of time your computer guys
Old 01-22-2023, 6:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I know of it and have been meaning to try it but haven’t gotten around to it. What version of the Pi does it require? It is pretty much impossible to find a Raspberry Pi these days, at least for a reasonable price. They should be 40 bucks but they’re up around 200 now for the 4.

Remember in the 90s-2000s when you’d come across we website with a tiny bit of content in the middle and 90% of the screen covered by ads? YouTube has become the video equivalent of that.
The sky is on fire and the angels cry
Old 01-22-2023, 8:20 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Just pay for the Premium subscription. That's what I did and I will never go back to not paying for no ads.

As far as multiple people using it without having to pay for a family plan, the best way is to create several Youtube accounts (one for each family member) attached to a single Google account. Then the individual Premium subscription will apply to all the Youtube accounts you create but each person can have their own subscriptions, watch history, suggested videos etc.

It is very quick and easy to switch between the different youtube profiles on streaming devices like fireTv, without even leaving the youtube app, and of course on personal devices like Phones, tablets, PC etc it will always remember who the specific user is without having to select each time.

I doubt Pi-hole is effective against Youtube ads anymore (if it ever was), Google has them integrated tightly into the platform now.

https://www.youtube.com/premium/annual

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-22-2023 at 8:27 AM..
Old 01-22-2023, 8:40 AM

I use Opera and block ads when watching YouTube. No ads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ďOf all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis
Old 01-22-2023, 10:47 AM

On my PC I use Adblock Plus - free ad blocker and AdBlocker for YouTube firefox plugins
On my android phone i use youtubevanced app
On my Firesticks and Android-based TVs I use SmartTubeNext app

I'm always surprised when I see a youtube ad, then realize that its playing in my phones web browser or in my chrome browser on my PC. This reminds me I should get a chrome no ads plugin, trying out Adblock for Youtube Chrome plugin now.

Last edited by Ivan275; 01-23-2023 at 11:53 AM..
Old 01-22-2023, 11:32 AM
Calguns Addict

I use Firefox with free AdBlock downloaded and have never seen an ad on Youtube. Easy.
Old 01-23-2023, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

I run Pi-hole on Raspberry Pi Zero W. At the time it was $10. Pi-hole can be run on most any platform and does not require a lot of power. It is a good ad blocker but cannot block embedded commercials.
Old 01-24-2023, 8:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Pi Zero W looks like it’s $60 now… still better than $200
Old 01-25-2023, 9:34 AM

Good info here, thanks.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
I know of it and have been meaning to try it but havenít gotten around to it. What version of the Pi does it require? It is pretty much impossible to find a Raspberry Pi these days, at least for a reasonable price. They should be 40 bucks but theyíre up around 200 now for the 4.

Remember in the 90s-2000s when youíd come across we website with a tiny bit of content in the middle and 90% of the screen covered by ads? YouTube has become the video equivalent of that.

Was gonna say this. I watched some youtube vids on making a cheap NAS out of a Pi, got all excited, then actually tried to go out and FIND a Pi to buy.

Unobtanium. There is like one online store in the US that gets a regular restock and they are gone within minutes when they do. It's worse than when I was hunting for an xbox series x last year.
Old 01-28-2023, 1:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc0844spare View Post
Was gonna say this. I watched some youtube vids on making a cheap NAS out of a Pi, got all excited, then actually tried to go out and FIND a Pi to buy.

Unobtanium. There is like one online store in the US that gets a regular restock and they are gone within minutes when they do. It's worse than when I was hunting for an xbox series x last year.
There might be decent clones. I havenít really looked into them. I use Arduinos and the clones, in my experience, are just as good as the name brand. Not sure if there is an equivalent to that for the Pi. I have an 0droid somewhere that was pretty good.