Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 09-22-2022, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
Let us know after, if ya don't mind
I will definitely keep you guys updated.
Old 09-22-2022, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
I suspect they are speeding things up because it is required by law.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=26205.

90 days would be early October (in just a couple weeks) for those of us who dropped off our initial application in early July.
Careful here. They have 90 days from application OR 30 days after the background check, which ever one is LATER. They don’t need to give you an answer in 90 days if they have not done the background check. This includes the CA, FBI, and firearms check investigations. I know because my father’s permit in a friendly CCW county still took almost 7 months to get.
Old 09-22-2022, 8:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullittShark View Post
Careful here. They have 90 days from application OR 30 days after the background check, which ever one is LATER. They don’t need to give you an answer in 90 days if they have not done the background check. This includes the CA, FBI, and firearms check investigations. I know because my father’s permit in a friendly CCW county still took almost 7 months to get.
They already did the background check; hence the report they had at the interview.
We also had a lot of wannabe gangsters putting the display pistols down thier pants to "try them on.". If you bought a display handgun from the Riverside Turners in the 1990's there's a greater than average chance that there is cholo crotch on it.
Old 09-22-2022, 8:35 AM

Quote:
They already did the background check; hence the report they had at the interview.
Have you done your live scan?

What we have done is the city specific investigation, nothing to do with the CA, FBI, and firearm check part of the state process. You might be able to argue that might count as the background check, but I doubt it will gain any traction.
Old 09-22-2022, 8:43 AM

BullittShark is absolutely right, and it's been moderately bothering me how often I've been seeing the 90 day timeline brought up, without any regard to the second half of the same sentence.

If you haven't done a LiveScan (or otherwise given fingerprints on a card, although I'm fairly sure it's only LiveScans at this point), then there is no DOJ background check. See here for the penal code that discusses the DOJ background check: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f....4&lawCode=PEN
Old 09-22-2022, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar48 View Post
BullittShark is absolutely right, and it's been moderately bothering me how often I've been seeing the 90 day timeline brought up, without any regard to the second half of the same sentence.
Exactly. Feel the same way. Thanks for the backup!
Old 09-22-2022, 8:57 AM
Banned

Does anybody have a source for a 1911 not being approved for concealed carry? Why not? Are there any policies that state this in writing? I don't have any other handguns and wanted to get a bobtail 1911 for my application.
Old 09-22-2022, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlmccann View Post
Does anybody have a source for a 1911 not being approved for concealed carry? Why not? Are there any policies that state this in writing? I don't have any other handguns and wanted to get a bobtail 1911 for my application.
There does exist a document from 2011 that is titled "San Francisco Sheriff's Department Authorized Handgun List CCW Applications". I will summarize it below for anyone curious, however:
1. This document is from the SFSD, not the SFPD
2. It's from 2011
3. Most likely everything regarding CCWs in SF is being changed anyway, even if was a current policy pre-Bruen.

The tl;dr of this document is that it lists some common semi-automatic pistol manufacturers, and says can be chambered in 9mm, 40 SW, or 45ACP. Says no single action pistols (ie 1911 type). Says pistol must have a safety pin or block. Glocks must have standard 5lb connector and trigger.
It also lists Colt, Ruger, and S&W revolvers chambered in .38 special.
Old 09-22-2022, 9:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

If you haven't done a LiveScan (or otherwise given fingerprints on a card, although I'm fairly sure it's only LiveScans at this point), then there is no DOJ background check. See here for the penal code that discusses the DOJ background check: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f....4&lawCode=PEN
Yep.

People need to have some patience with the process.

Don’t go peeking in the LAC thread. They’re going bonkers on the wait.

iTrader
Old 09-22-2022, 11:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

These guys don't fingerprint onsite and have a 60-day timeline. Who supersedes who?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/how-...fl-application
Old 09-22-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWE View Post
These guys don't fingerprint onsite and have a 60-day timeline. Who supersedes who?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/how-...fl-application
I would say the IA has the final call. At least they do right now and in this process.
Old 09-22-2022, 1:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I think the smarter play would be to qualify a garden variety 9mm to get the damn CCW in hand and stay off the radar. 15 minutes later, submit to add whatever bazookas you like.
Old 09-22-2022, 1:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Refer to a recent post under Contra Costa County, apparently the don’t allow single actions such as the 1911.
Old 09-22-2022, 4:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think the smarter play would be to qualify a garden variety 9mm to get the damn CCW in hand and stay off the radar. 15 minutes later, submit to add whatever bazookas you like.
I agree and I thought of that...but then don't I need to waste money on a gun I don't want, waste time going to the FFl twice, and then take the range test twice (once for each gun)?
Old 09-22-2022, 4:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
There does exist a document from 2011 that is titled "San Francisco Sheriff's Department Authorized Handgun List CCW Applications". I will summarize it below for anyone curious, however:
2. It's from 2011
3. Most likely everything regarding CCWs in SF is being changed anyway, even if was a current policy pre-Bruen.

The tl;dr of this document is that it lists some common semi-automatic pistol manufacturers, and says can be chambered in 9mm, 40 SW, or 45ACP. Says no single action pistols (ie 1911 type). Says pistol must have a safety pin or block. Glocks must have standard 5lb connector and trigger.
I called the SFSD and asked. I didn't use any specifics or mention 1911s because I don't want to give them any ideas but I asked if there were any additional restrictions. They said they would be using California state guidelines and nothing else. I guess we'll need to just wait and see.
Old 09-22-2022, 4:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
2. It's from 2011

I can say that the SFSO is in fact enforcing that list. The deputy who went over my application with me had me fill out a new one and exclude on the guns I had put down that wasn't on the list.
We also had a lot of wannabe gangsters putting the display pistols down thier pants to "try them on.". If you bought a display handgun from the Riverside Turners in the 1990's there's a greater than average chance that there is cholo crotch on it.
Old 09-22-2022, 5:57 PM

Default San Francisco

Quote:
They brought up that they were trying to process all the applications before the 90 days from the application submission; I hadn’t even brought up the subject with them. I got the impression that SFPD felt they had to get them done because of the ruling and didn’t want any potential of legal blowback. They said they were moving forward largely because SB-918 didn’t pass and as long as you weren’t a prohibited person, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to carry after meeting all the requirements. In fact, it was mentioned that many of them fully support the 2nd Amendment when we chatted about my reasons for wanting a CCW in addition to of course, personal protection.

Quote:
I called the SFSD and asked. I didn't use any specifics or mention 1911s because I don't want to give them any ideas but I asked if there were any additional restrictions. They said they would be using California state guidelines and nothing else. I guess we'll need to just wait and see.

I actually submitted multiple pages with SFPD, which it says you can on the application, and they didn’t question any of them… Most likely I won’t try qualifying for all of them but I wanted to at least have choices…

Last edited by CalPatriot63; 09-22-2022 at 6:03 PM..
Old 09-22-2022, 5:58 PM
Banned

That's bull**** and obviously unconstitutional. So now I need to buy a gun I don't want just to get a license? What guns did he take off of yours? Did you argue?
Old 09-22-2022, 6:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I agree and I thought of that...but then don't I need to waste money on a gun I don't want, waste time going to the FFl twice, and then take the range test twice (once for each gun)?
Methinks the greater waste of money is to push the 1911 and fail, having to start over? Bird in the hand. Buy a used 9mm, nuttin fancy, then sell it for what you more or less paid after. DAYSF.
Old 09-22-2022, 6:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Methinks the greater waste of money is to push the 1911 and fail, having to start over? Bird in the hand. Buy a used 9mm, nuttin fancy, then sell it for what you more or less paid after. DAYSF.
But that's assuming I can sell it and then add the gun I want to the license. It looks like you need to do most of the process again to add a different gun to the CCW.
Old 09-22-2022, 7:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
But that's assuming I can sell it and then add the gun I want to the license. It looks like you need to do most of the process again to add a different gun to the CCW.
No idea what EssEff would want. See if they'll take iPads Laurie Smith didn't pick up?

Where I live, it was an email to the IA contact with gun info, copy of the range qualifying and $25-ish. Same day to a week, "Come pick up your new license, its cluttering up the front counter".
Old 09-22-2022, 7:30 PM

Quote:

He's not "absolutely right." He's pretty wrong actually. The same section of the code you linked to states, in relevant part, "The fingerprints of each applicant shall be taken and...shall be forwarded to the department." The subsequent text--"the department shall promptly furnish the forwarding licensing authority"--clearly reveals that the law imposes a duty to take and forward fingerprints on the licensing agency and not the applicant. If the agency refuses to proceed to this step, a court can, upon a writ of mandamus, order the licensing agency to act.

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice and you should not interpret it as such. Talk to legal counsel if you want that.
Old 09-22-2022, 8:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would add it states if the agency has you in the system for example the FFL or other CCW states outside of CA which I was told in my interview they don't need to run you they can just run the background. It's also listed in that penal code.
Old 09-23-2022, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommieforniaResident View Post
"The fingerprints of each applicant shall be taken and...shall be forwarded to the department."
That's saying that the IA shall take fingerprints and send them to the DOJ. It doesn't say when.

Quote:
"the department shall promptly furnish the forwarding licensing authority"
"the department" here is the DOJ. It's saying that the DOJ, once it receives fingerprints (and payment) that the IA forwards, shall promptly send back the needed information about the individual to the IA (aka return the LiveScan results).

It is my personal opinion that you'd face a real uphill battle trying to get a writ, since the IAs conduct here has not run afoul of state law.

I also realize I'm veering off topic, so this will be my last post on the subject.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalPatriot63 View Post
They brought up that they were trying to process all the applications before the 90 days from the application submission; I hadn’t even brought up the subject with them. I got the impression that SFPD felt they had to get them done because of the ruling and didn’t want any potential of legal blowback. They said they were moving forward largely because SB-918 didn’t pass and as long as you weren’t a prohibited person, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to carry after meeting all the requirements. In fact, it was mentioned that many of them fully support the 2nd Amendment when we chatted about my reasons for wanting a CCW in addition to of course, personal protection.

I actually submitted multiple pages with SFPD, which it says you can on the application, and they didn’t question any of them… Most likely I won’t try qualifying for all of them but I wanted to at least have choices…
We're any of them questionable? Single action? Any 1911s?
Old 09-23-2022, 10:55 AM

Default San Francisco

Quote:
We're any of them questionable? Single action? Any 1911s?

No 1911’s; mine were all 9’s, strikers and SA/DA hammers, and one 10mm for camping excursions

Didn’t submit any .357 revolvers although I still may in the future if I can…
Old 09-23-2022, 12:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What about a 2011 Stacatto asking for a friend
Old 09-23-2022, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWE View Post
What about a 2011 Stacatto asking for a friend

Those sure are nice but non-roster and $$$. Staccato XC is over $4k to start and that’s with no optic or holster, the P is $2.5K Not sure I’d want that taken away for months/years if ever used in a justified and clean DGU…

However, I don’t see any reason from SFPD why you couldn’t submit it for approval if you happened to own and wanted to carry one…
Old 09-23-2022, 6:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
I can say that the SFSO is in fact enforcing that list. The deputy who went over my application with me had me fill out a new one and exclude on the guns I had put down that wasn't on the list.
And you didn't push back or question this? I don't see why they should be able to tell us what guns we can/cannot carry based on their whims..
Old 09-23-2022, 6:46 PM

Quote:
And you didn't push back or question this? I don't see why they should be able to tell us what guns we can/cannot carry based on their whims..
Unless you're speaking with the chief of police or the sheriff, what power do you think the guy has? Why do you think it'll be productive to argue with him?
Old 09-23-2022, 8:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
By all means, call them and ask. It doesn’t seem wise for me to be a pain in the *** to the person who can make getting a permit hellish for me.
Old 09-23-2022, 8:49 PM
Banned

Man you guys are getting awfully comfortable with being good little peasants lol. Maybe if you kiss the ring a few more times they'll let you have a standard mag next. I did call and ask and was assured there are no such rules/guidelines but I don't think the woman answering the phones knows what she is talking about. That's why I wanted to hear fr someone that has started the process. I 100% would have asked him where those rules were written and if he agreed with them. I don't care if he has the power to change them or not.
Old 09-23-2022, 8:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Man you guys are getting awfully comfortable with being good little peasants lol. Maybe if you kiss the ring a few more times they'll let you have a standard mag next. I did call and ask and was assured there are no such rules/guidelines but I don't think the woman answering the phones knows what she is talking about. That's why I wanted to hear fr someone that has started the process. I 100% would have asked him where those rules were written and if he agreed with them. I don't care if he has the power to change them or not.
Maybe if you did some reading rather than pretending to be some badass, you'd see that the rules are written in the packet.

Quote:
I received a letter today from the SFSO (not SFPD) asking me to contact them regarding my application, which I dropped off way back in June. Called them and was told that they're now taking applications, so I have another appointment set up to submit/fill out/sign my application with them. That said, they're still waiting on the go-ahead to actually start processing them, but I guess some progress is better than no progress.

One interesting note: there is a list of what ammunition/pistols are eligible to be carried. Only 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP, and only Beretta, Glock, H&K, Kahr, Para, Ruger, Sig, S&W, Springfield, and Walther (sorry Hipoint plebs and 007 fans). 380ACP is limited to off-duty officers. As for the cartridges, only 9mm 147gr JHP, .40 180gr JHP, and .45 230gr JHP is allowed to be carried.

This is the full instruction packet if anyone is interested to see. The range test is surpisingly tougher than other jurisdictions; it includes shooting with your off-hand and goes out to 25 yards.

https://www.gunownersradio.com/wp-co...CCW-Packet.pdf
Sounds like you're willing to take them to court over it, because bitching and whining to them won't do you a lick of good. Or are you all bark and no bite?

Last edited by pingpong; 09-23-2022 at 8:55 PM..
Old 09-23-2022, 9:23 PM

Quote:

No, I'm implying your suggestions are utterly pointless and a total waste of time. I'm not afraid to assert my rights and I do. What I don't do is yell at people who are powerless to help me.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, I'm implying your suggestions are utterly pointless and a total waste of time. I'm not afraid to assert my rights and I do. What I don't do is yell at people who are powerless to help me.
I keep trying to find the part where I said to yell at them but I can't find it. Maybe you can show me?
Old 09-24-2022, 2:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yell at them Brian! They've been abrogating your rights for many years. Ask them if there's a new law post NYSPRA that restricts you from carrying after you fill out the SF application while you wait unprotected. Yell at them that dang near most states are Constitutional Carry. Most of the problem I think is these folks arn't yelled at enough!

Last edited by marcusrn; 10-01-2022 at 1:31 AM..
Old 09-24-2022, 6:18 AM

Welp, this thread turned from informative, to pointless bickering.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

These lovely people are bickering about getting CCW in Frisco County where Texas Ranger John Coffee Hayes was the first elected Sheriff circa 1850! Pretty cool! Yeah, I wrote Frisco.
Old 09-30-2022, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalPatriot63 View Post
Those sure are nice but non-roster and $$$. Staccato XC is over $4k to start and that’s with no optic or holster, the P is $2.5K Not sure I’d want that taken away for months/years if ever used in a justified and clean DGU…

However, I don’t see any reason from SFPD why you couldn’t submit it for approval if you happened to own and wanted to carry one…
If you look at the application packet 1911's / 2011's are barred by SF
Old 09-30-2022, 8:08 AM
Calguns Addict

I believe that’s only for the SFSO and not SFPD.