Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 08-14-2022, 1:32 PM

Default Best Care for Antique Model 95 .41 Derringer

Have a post in Handguns forum with images of my Derringer. It's an antique over/under Type I, late production (aka Model 2), nickel with pearl handle very nice condition. Hoping for advice on careful cleaning (or should I?) products and how to store it best. A silicone infused sock is something I will pick up. Advice? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2022, 3:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Clean it with water based cleaner first, mpro7 etc to kill any corrosive salts left.

Clean well with hoppes 9 or clp, etc., then oil well, and keep in the sock. You should be fine.
I wouldn't fire one now. Not to mention ammo is very very scarce in .41rf.
Old 08-14-2022, 4:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki302 View Post
Clean it with water based cleaner first, mpro7 etc to kill any corrosive salts left.

Clean well with hoppes 9 or clp, etc., then oil well, and keep in the sock. You should be fine.
I wouldn't fire one now. Not to mention ammo is very very scarce in .41rf.
FYI Mpro7 is basically rebranded Windex. yet Windex is not $100 a gallon.

Mpro7 = Diethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether (DGBE) @<14% with water
Windex also has Isopropyl alcohol to help the surface dry faster.
It works better and is far cheaper then Mpro7

On the older and nickel plated guns be sure your Windex is Ammonia free.
Old 08-14-2022, 7:01 PM

+1 for windex. Then might give it a coat of Renaissance wax.

Southern California
Anything legal Rifles , Handguns , Shotguns and Black Powder
Old 08-14-2022, 10:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john323 View Post
+1 for windex. Then might give it a coat of Renaissance wax.
+1 for renaissance wax. I use that on all my polished blued or otherwise corrosion prone finished firearms. Cheap easy and work great.
Old 08-15-2022, 6:01 PM
Veteran Member

"On the older and nickel plated guns be sure your Windex is Ammonia free.,"

^^^This, for sure.
Old 08-18-2022, 7:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Mpro 7 is non toxic and definitely not windex. I use windex sometimes after shooting corrosive primers.

http://m-pro7.com/products/gun-cleaner/

Don't use windex or ammonia on an old plated gun.
Old 08-19-2022, 7:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Mpro 7 is non toxic and definitely not windex. I use windex sometimes after shooting corrosive primers.

http://m-pro7.com/products/gun-cleaner/

Don't use windex or ammonia on an old plated gun.
Basic windex has alcohol in it as well as DGBE it’s the alcohol that makes windex poisonous.
Frog lube is non toxic and we seen how that crap works.
You guys need to do research before you go posting on stuff like this.
MPro7 is nothing but diluted “blue gold” industrial cleaner. DGBE <15% and water. You like paying $100 per gallon for 85% water?
Sorry I’ll stick with what I know and stay away from firearms snake oil. There’s nothing wrong with windex and in the case just be sure it’s the ammonia free version.
Old 08-20-2022, 8:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Here is what windex contains. Far from mpro7.
https://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com...-glass-cleaner

I did find a thread on a 'generic' mpro7 substitute which is much cheaper. I got mine cheap, but I'll probably switch to that when it runs out. I only use it for corrosive cleanup, so it's lasting years.

It's not snake oil of it works. But I won't shy from a cheaper alternative (that also works).
Old 08-21-2022, 1:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Here is what windex contains. Far from mpro7.
https://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com...-glass-cleaner

I did find a thread on a 'generic' mpro7 substitute which is much cheaper. I got mine cheap, but I'll probably switch to that when it runs out. I only use it for corrosive cleanup, so it's lasting years.

It's not snake oil of it works. But I won't shy from a cheaper alternative (that also works).
That's one version. There are others which is why I said be sure the one you use is the ammonia free version. Keep in mind chemical names change based on supplier, 2-hexoxyethanol is C8 H18 O2 where as DGBE is C8 H18 O3, Close enough chemically to be the same in my book. Yes I know one Oxygen molecule can make a huge difference.

It is snake oil when it's 10x the cost of other DGBE cleaners. Look up Blue gold industrial cleaner. It's concentrated DGBE and it's far cheaper than Mpro7. But you do you. FYi the link you posted states Windex is also non toxic. There is a difference between toxicity and poisonous
Old 08-22-2022, 4:06 PM
Calguns Addict

I'll check out blue gold when I run out. It's going to be years like I said, I only use it for corrosive cleanup pretty much.
Just curious, what normal rifle cleaner do you like?
I'm almost out of butch's bore shine. Hoppes 9 does nothing for copper.
Old 08-22-2022, 6:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'll check out blue gold when I run out. It's going to be years like I said, I only use it for corrosive cleanup pretty much.
Just curious, what normal rifle cleaner do you like?
I'm almost out of butch's bore shine. Hoppes 9 does nothing for copper.
I highly recommend Sweets 762 for copper fouling. I'd buy patch out if I could find it in stock at a reasonable price.

My current cleaning routine is a half hour soak in CLR followed by aggressive nylon brushing and linen patches. The the same treatment with Sweets 762. I do not own any metal bore brushes anymore.

If it's one of my match guns I follow up that with JB bore cleaner and bore bright. Bore scoped at every step before moving to the next to be sure I'm done and ready to move on.

On my Black powder Cartridge rifle (Shiloh) Blue gold diluted to 15% with water on a patch between every shot. final cleaning at home same treatment patches only with blue gold then a light coat of home made beeswax and lanolin lube to the bore.

For my daughters Nickel plated Single action army I have a quart of Ed's Red bore cleaner that works great.
Old 08-22-2022, 9:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Haha, I've been using an old bottle of sweets since my butch's ran out.

It's great outdoors, God help you if you use it in an enclosed garage 🤣

I always wanted to try Ed's red, never got around to making or buying some.

I use hoppes as an alla round basic powder solvent. The smell reminds me of shooting with my grandpa. The new stuff is less noxious (and effective) than I remember it being in the 80s.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Haha, I've been using an old bottle of sweets since my butch's ran out.

It's great outdoors, God help you if you use it in an enclosed garage ��

I always wanted to try Ed's red, never got around to making or buying some.

I use hoppes as an alla round basic powder solvent. The smell reminds me of shooting with my grandpa. The new stuff is less noxious (and effective) than I remember it being in the 80s.
about every three years i order two bottles of sweets. I've been using that stuff for 30 years. it's always worked. never claimed to be anything it wasn't and it was always available.

Hoppes had to change the formula a touch over the years, in 1970's there was a toxic chemical control act passed nation wide that put a real damper on a lot of good yet very nasty chemicals. I stopped using hoppes in the 90's when I figured out it didn't work on copper.

Being a machinist, toolmaker, and mechanic my sense of smell is pretty shot and I don't get bothered by the smell of sweets, I'm also divorced so I don't have someone complaining i'm stinking up the house.

you need to find someone in your area that needs some Ed's as it's to difficult to find the ingredients in small enough quantities to only make a quart. after you buy everything you'll have enough to make a gallon. I'd give you a quart if you were in San diego

Last edited by kcstott; 08-23-2022 at 10:16 AM..
Old 08-26-2022, 6:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Haha, thanks.. I'll probably make a gammon of Ed's sometime and pass some out to friends. In our group it wouldn't last too long 😆
Old 08-27-2022, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
MPro7 is nothing but diluted “blue gold” industrial cleaner. DGBE <15% and water. You like paying $100 per gallon for 85% water?
Dude! You were so adamant about MPro7 that I had to look up the data for myself.

The MSDS sheets I found said that MPro7 Cleaner is <14% DGBE, and Blue Gold is 7%-10% DGBE with small amounts of two other active ingredients. Blue Gold sells for $40 per gallon, and Mpro 7 is $88.

I used to use MPro 7 Cleaner, but nowadays I use something else, so I don't have any skin in this discussion. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-28-2022, 1:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Dude! You were so adamant about MPro7 that I had to look up the data for myself.

The MSDS sheets I found said that MPro7 Cleaner is <14% DGBE, and Blue Gold is 7%-10% DGBE with small amounts of two other active ingredients. Blue Gold sells for $40 per gallon, and Mpro 7 is $88.

I used to use MPro 7 Cleaner, but nowadays I use something else, so I don't have any skin in this discussion. Thanks for the info.
That's because a world record holding BPCR shooter that I am acquainted with swears by Mpro7, and in the amounts you need to wipe and clean a BPCR during a match a gallon won't go very far. so my Cheep arse wants to find a better way.
By the way the Blue gold we get at work is the concentrate and they recommend a 5% dilution.
The other two added chemicals are detergents and emulsifiers.
once you see how well it works you won't spend double on Mpro7
Old 08-29-2022, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

When I was 16, I cleaned my cap and ball revolvers by taking them apart and running the pieces under hot water in the sink. It flushed out 90+% of the gunk for free 🤣
Wd40 and gun oil after. I don't remember the tube of lube I had, but it smelled pretty good. You could use it to grease over the balls too.
Old 08-29-2022, 3:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
When I was 16, I cleaned my cap and ball revolvers by taking them apart and running the pieces under hot water in the sink. It flushed out 90+% of the gunk for free 🤣
Wd40 and gun oil after. I don't remember the tube of lube I had, but it smelled pretty good. You could use it to grease over the balls too.
That was Bore butter. And yeah I did and still do the same thing today. But when you're in a competition shooting 10 rounds of 104 grains of 1.5FG behind a 545 grain paper patch you have two shots and you'll foul out. so the procedure is fouling control which mean swabbing the barrel with wet patches between shots. Some guys use a blow tube to keep the fouling moist. That's never worked for me so I swab the bore, two wet patches, two dry ones and a chamber mop with a dry patch. load, fire, rinse repeat.
Old 08-30-2022, 9:08 PM
Calguns Addict

THAT'S IT!!! I'll never forget the smell of bore butter and the original non-non toxic hoppes #9. And the smell of Eley rimfire rounds going off. Hoppes and eley takes me back to shooting rimfire with my grandpa (he made me clean the family anschutz since I was about 9).
Toilet paper on the Parker hale jag.. makes me cringe thinking about it 🤣
Old 08-30-2022, 9:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Btw, what bp rifle do you shoot?

My shiloh sharps came with a spare .45-110 barrel. Someday when I'm ready for it, it should make a great BP shooter.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Btw, what bp rifle do you shoot?

My shiloh sharps came with a spare .45-110 barrel. Someday when I'm ready for it, it should make a great BP shooter.
I have Shiloh's Quigley. in 45-110 I went with the long range soule sight and a globe sight that has a spirit level as I intend to shoot long range with it. I picked it up and the beginning of covid, 3-23-2020. I've only hade time to do limited testing and load development. I think I have a load that should work beyond 600 yards. I just need to wait for cooler weather to get back to the desert and test.