Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-05-2022, 5:40 AM
Waiting for Abs
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Exchange 365

I have recently been getting Microsoft Viva email briefings on 2 of my GoDaddy email accounts.

I never signed up for them. I contacted GoDaddy this morning. I was assured that if I clicked on the unsubscribe option the email will stop.

But other things came out during the conversation. Not sure if the person I was talking to understood the whole thing.

He said Microsoft sees every email a GoDaddy Exchange 365 email account processes. This is as bad as Google and Gmail.

So, the question is was he right? Does Microsoft see every Exchange 365 email? Or is Exchange 365 run on GoDaddy servers as just another program like Excel, etc. and the Viva thing is an add-on to it and Microsoft does not see anything?

If Microsoft does see every email is that part of Exchange 365 or just how GoDaddy implemented it?
Old 08-05-2022, 5:47 AM
Calguns Addict

O365 is SAAS via Microsoft.

Check your the MX records for your domain. If it's going to outlook.com or another microsoft mail router, then you know for sure.

However, even if the MX records go to godaddy.com, it is possible they still go to O365. We still have our own mail routers for our organization domain and from there will re-route to the appropriate mail service based on the user (mainly the user's affiliation).

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net
Old 08-05-2022, 6:14 AM

MS scans every email for its centralized anti-spam service. Hosted-anything means privacy-zero.
Old 08-05-2022, 8:00 AM
Waiting for Abs

MX is xxxxxxxxx-com.mail.protection.outlook.com

It appears all my MX addresses end with -com.mail.protection.outlook.com

So why 2 of them got signed up for the Viva briefs is unexplained.

Now to decide how badly I want to change email providers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
O365 is SAAS via Microsoft.

Check your the MX records for your domain. If it's going to outlook.com or another microsoft mail router, then you know for sure.

However, even if the MX records go to godaddy.com, it is possible they still go to O365. We still have our own mail routers for our organization domain and from there will re-route to the appropriate mail service based on the user (mainly the user's affiliation).
Old 08-08-2022, 7:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
MS scans every email for its centralized anti-spam service. Hosted-anything means privacy-zero.
That's true. If you want anything resembling privacy--and even then, it's got to be on both ends--a few things must be in place.

1.) You must host and administer your own email server.
2.) The other party also must not be on O365 (Microsoft), or Google, or Yahoo, etcetera.
3.) You must use encryption, usually public-private key, for your email. Something like PGP or the F/OSS version (GPG).
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 08-09-2022, 7:08 AM
Waiting for Abs

I have no problem with MS software being used to scan my email for nefarious things just like ESET scans my PC. But, like ESET on my machine, the email scanning should be done on GoDaddy servers with no connection to MS.

By MS having my emails they are no different than Google and what they do with Gmail. The difference is I am paying for email. I should not be the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
That's true. If you want anything resembling privacy--and even then, it's got to be on both ends--a few things must be in place.

1.) You must host and administer your own email server.
2.) The other party also must not be on O365 (Microsoft), or Google, or Yahoo, etcetera.
3.) You must use encryption, usually public-private key, for your email. Something like PGP or the F/OSS version (GPG).
Old 08-10-2022, 1:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder2003 View Post
I have no problem with MS software being used to scan my email for nefarious things just like ESET scans my PC. But, like ESET on my machine, the email scanning should be done on GoDaddy servers with no connection to MS.

By MS having my emails they are no different than Google and what they do with Gmail. The difference is I am paying for email. I should not be the product.
You are *always* the product if you use a hosted service like O365, even if you pay for it. Never delude yourself into thinking or even hoping otherwise; selling information about their users to third parties is the big moneymaker.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.