Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 11-13-2022, 9:04 PM
BigBlueBoy BigBlueBoy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 15
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilveradoColt21 View Post
I suggest you get the 3M Peltor Comtac V's, they have a special mode specifically designed for when you are wearing in-ear pro in combination with over the ear protection.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I didn't want to make another expensive purchase. Comtac V's are about $700.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/peltor-...ngle-lead.html

I've placed an order for the Decibullz Custom Molded Percussive Filters after watching a few Youtube reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 11-14-2022, 7:58 PM
SilveradoColt21's Avatar
SilveradoColt21 SilveradoColt21 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: East Bay
Posts: 2,422
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueBoy View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but I didn't want to make another expensive purchase. Comtac V's are about $700.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/peltor-...ngle-lead.html

I've placed an order for the Decibullz Custom Molded Percussive Filters after watching a few Youtube reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The Comtac V's are not $700, I got mine for a little less than $500 a pair, the ones you linked are the comms enabled ones, here is the link for "hearing defender" model which is the correct one if all you're using them for is plinking: https://www.opticsplanet.com/peltor-...e-headset.html
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 02-02-2023, 5:05 PM
Mustard Mustard is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 558
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueBoy View Post
Hello - I own a Sordin SupremePro-X LED headset and wear 3M foamy earplugs underneath for indoor ranges; Sordin's alone won't cut it. The problem I face is that with the Sordin electronic volume turned up, I'm having problems hearing folks with the earplugs added.

Without spending my money for now, I wanted to get input on whether folks out there have tried an "outer" electronic hearing pro with an "inner" electronic hearing pro in the form of earbuds. Here are some examples:

/snip

Would the combination of 2 electronic earpro's enable the best shot noise reduction with best ambient/verbal noise performance?

Thanks in advance.
I'm curious about getting into the same boat: double-up on ear pro while maintaining environmental/situational awareness. While I'm doubled-up, I want to hear as well as I would with singled-up electronic ear pro (or naked ear alone, which I accept is a tall order).

I find doubling up on ear-pro, both electronic or otherwise, there's too much sound reduction and I lose SA. Not to mention that with both my Peltor TEP-100's, or my Decibullz passive and filtered ear pro, the Howard Leight's I wear on top are physically touching the in-ear protection so it's like I'm being jammed in my ear canal the whole time.

I use the TEP's during competition, but the Decibullz when it's just me at my outdoor range since I won't need to charge the TEP batteries afterward, and each are solid for me in terms of sound mitigation. I'm just curious about adding the extra over-the-ear protection (while maintaining SA).
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 02-02-2023, 5:52 PM
SilveradoColt21's Avatar
SilveradoColt21 SilveradoColt21 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: East Bay
Posts: 2,422
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
I'm curious about getting into the same boat: double-up on ear pro while maintaining environmental/situational awareness. While I'm doubled-up, I want to hear as well as I would with singled-up electronic ear pro (or naked ear alone, which I accept is a tall order).

I find doubling up on ear-pro, both electronic or otherwise, there's too much sound reduction and I lose SA. Not to mention that with both my Peltor TEP-100's, or my Decibullz passive and filtered ear pro, the Howard Leight's I wear on top are physically touching the in-ear protection so it's like I'm being jammed in my ear canal the whole time.

I use the TEP's during competition, but the Decibullz when it's just me at my outdoor range since I won't need to charge the TEP batteries afterward, and each are solid for me in terms of sound mitigation. I'm just curious about adding the extra over-the-ear protection (while maintaining SA).
The solution that I would recommend then is to get the Peltor Comtacs, whether it is the V's or the VI's, they both have a special mode that is designed specifically for when you have foamies inside and are doubling up on ear pro. The Comtacs are indeed above the $500 range but are you really going to put a price on your hearing?
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 02-03-2023, 7:13 AM
Gun Kraft's Avatar
Gun Kraft Gun Kraft is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 759
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
IWhile I'm doubled-up, I want to hear as well as I would with singled-up electronic ear pro (or naked ear alone, which I accept is a tall order).
It can be done but then you're talking price is no object. An Ops Core AMP headset with NFMI earplugs (https://shop.gentexcorp.com/ops-core...connectorized/) has an MSRP pushing $2000. I have a set and the audio quality is exceptional--better than the naked ear. However I find the headset alone isn't enough for indoor range use so I have to use it in conjunction with the NFMI earplugs which really eats batteries.

As a result my standard go-to are Otto NoizeBarrier Micros ($450 MSRP). Used with Comply foam tips I'm fine indoors when the guy next to me is shooting a .308 rifle. Sound quality isn't as good but still better than most.
__________________
SF Bay Area firearm training
www.gunkraft.com
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 02-23-2023, 11:33 AM
BigBlueBoy BigBlueBoy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 15
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Just a quick follow-up to my ear pro inquiry...

I finally found the perfect combination while wearing my Sordin Supreme ProX's...the Etymotic Research ER20 High-Fidelity Earplugs.

I don't use the dummy cord provided since they cover up the tiny holes at the earbud stems. I've tried Decibulz and AnxilXP and found them to not work as well as the Etymotics and being overpriced.

I get good ambient/conversation noise without having to crank up the volume on the Sordins.


https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015WJQ7A...roduct_details
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 02-23-2023, 7:13 PM
L84CABO's Avatar
L84CABO L84CABO is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orcas Island, WA and San Diego
Posts: 7,567
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueBoy View Post
Just a quick follow-up to my ear pro inquiry...

I finally found the perfect combination while wearing my Sordin Supreme ProX's...the Etymotic Research ER20 High-Fidelity Earplugs.

I don't use the dummy cord provided since they cover up the tiny holes at the earbud stems. I've tried Decibulz and AnxilXP and found them to not work as well as the Etymotics and being overpriced.

I get good ambient/conversation noise without having to crank up the volume on the Sordins.


https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015WJQ7A...roduct_details
Been using Surefire EP4 Sonic Defenders and they've been working great. Seems like they're pretty similar, but the Surefires have that flexible ring that sits inside your ear Concha to help hold them in place.
__________________
"Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

Fighter Pilot
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 02-25-2023, 12:32 PM
pratchett pratchett is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 870
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Unless I'm using night vision, I'm running Walker's Slim Ultra Low Profile. I've never felt unprotected, I can clearly hear instructors at some distance, and it has right-side and left-side velcro fields for either IR, glow-in-the-dark, or reflective patches for night training.

For night vision training, I have a set of Ops-Core AMPs. These make hearing a superpower, honestly.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 02-25-2023, 1:20 PM
SilveradoColt21's Avatar
SilveradoColt21 SilveradoColt21 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: East Bay
Posts: 2,422
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratchett View Post
Unless I'm using night vision, I'm running Walker's Slim Ultra Low Profile. I've never felt unprotected, I can clearly hear instructors at some distance, and it has right-side and left-side velcro fields for either IR, glow-in-the-dark, or reflective patches for night training.

For night vision training, I have a set of Ops-Core AMPs. These make hearing a superpower, honestly.
The OPS core have always interested me but the price tag isn't worth it to be honest, the max I would pay is the price tag of the 3M Comtacs. I know you can't put a price on your hearing but I feel those Walker Slim Ultras should suffice, can't go wrong with either though if your wallet can afford it .
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 02-25-2023, 2:09 PM
pratchett pratchett is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 870
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilveradoColt21 View Post
The OPS core have always interested me but the price tag isn't worth it to be honest, the max I would pay is the price tag of the 3M Comtacs. I know you can't put a price on your hearing but I feel those Walker Slim Ultras should suffice, can't go wrong with either though if your wallet can afford it .
I understand. To add context, you're only partly paying for hearing protection. The other part? You're paying for what's almost a human-machine enhancement to hearing. You can pinpoint sounds to startling accuracy in a complete bubble around you. Like I said, it's a superpower and is analogous to night vision for your ears.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 02-25-2023, 3:26 PM
SilveradoColt21's Avatar
SilveradoColt21 SilveradoColt21 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: East Bay
Posts: 2,422
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratchett View Post
I understand. To add context, you're only partly paying for hearing protection. The other part? You're paying for what's almost a human-machine enhancement to hearing. You can pinpoint sounds to startling accuracy in a complete bubble around you. Like I said, it's a superpower and is analogous to night vision for your ears.
Yeah it is super nice to be able to hear everything crystal clear as opposed to some of the cheaper ear pro that the audio may be choppy, at least with the more expensive headsets you are getting more premium quality so at least that can be said .
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 03-09-2023, 6:06 AM
JamesCC JamesCC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 127
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Solid article thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 02-27-2024, 1:18 PM
Librarian's Avatar
Librarian Librarian is offline
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cottage Grove, OR
Posts: 44,441
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

2024 article at recoilweb, https://www.recoilweb.com/best-heari...rs-176188.html

And some opinions:
Quote:
BEST HEARING PROTECTION FOR SHOOTERS

Best Foam: Ear Buddy Foam Earplugs
East-To-Use In-Ear: Peltor Sport Tri-Flange Corded Reusable Earplugs
Best Reusable In-Ear: SureFire EP3 Sonic Defenders
Budget Muff: Peltor Sport Shotgunner II
Best For Kids: Dr. Meter Kid’s Noise Reduction Earmuffs
Budget Electronics: Howard Leight Impact Sport
Best Value: Walker's Razor Slim
Editor's Pick: Walker's Razor Quad Electronic Muffs
Best Electronic In-Ear: Walker's Silencer Wireless
Best Overall: MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X
__________________
ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.



Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:53 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy