Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 12-01-2023, 11:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Smile Shotgun shell old school reloading

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/ZAOoIrH...sm6uqhYecENwoX

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 12-01-2023, 2:01 PM

So I recently purchased and am having imported a classic English double with 2.5 inch chambers. Commercial 2.5 inch ammo is a pain, although it is available it is expensive and has limited availability based on what you want to get at any given time.

Since I do a lot of my handgun reloading already by hand (or sometimes using a lyman 310, which is one step from this) i am considering going the brass shell reloading route. Quality smokeless appropriate brass shells are expensive as hell though. I could just cut down 2.75 inch hulls and roll crimp them but that?s not nearly as fun. I have a couple sets of hand reloading tools already for both 12 and 20, would just need to get a resizing die. Still, $12 a shell for the good brass stuff is a tough purchase to make.
Old 12-01-2023, 4:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageview View Post
So I recently purchased and am having imported a classic English double with 2.5 inch chambers. Commercial 2.5 inch ammo is a pain, although it is available it is expensive and has limited availability based on what you want to get at any given time.

Since I do a lot of my handgun reloading already by hand (or sometimes using a lyman 310, which is one step from this) i am considering going the brass shell reloading route. Quality smokeless appropriate brass shells are expensive as hell though. I could just cut down 2.75 inch hulls and roll crimp them but that?s not nearly as fun. I have a couple sets of hand reloading tools already for both 12 and 20, would just need to get a resizing die. Still, $12 a shell for the good brass stuff is a tough purchase to make.
You can buy the brass hulls for ~$1.50 each.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 12-01-2023, 5:25 PM

Magtech are pretty reasonably priced, but have a larger inside diameter than a normal hull and the case walls are pretty thin. Load data is hard to come by for smokeless. Rmc brass has internal dimensions pretty similar to most straight walled hulls and much sturdier. I personally would feel more comfortable with the more expensive brass.
Old 12-01-2023, 5:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Have you seen this site?

https://www.rstshells.com/store/c/3-12-Gauge.aspx

God Bless America
Old 12-01-2023, 6:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

I had not fired a shotgun in maybe 20 years, and not seriously for 20 years before that. I missed the whole phenomenon of changing to steel based shells. I have 3 cheap shotguns that have problems either extracting, ejecting, or feeding. A friend of mine tells me it's likely because of the steel.

Dang, wish I had kept all those hulls I just threw into the trash from when I bought a box for 3 or 4 bucks.
Old 12-01-2023, 6:13 PM

Was just asking a ffl today about ammo transfers so I could order a case of shells from rst to try them, and the shotgun, out. Hopefully the import process on the gun doesn?t take too long!
Old 12-01-2023, 6:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It seems like oddball brass is made every once in a while

Either everyone has it or no one has it.

I'd get on the Notify me when in stock list for the brass

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 12-01-2023, 7:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Magtech are pretty reasonably priced, but have a larger inside diameter than a normal hull and the case walls are pretty thin. Load data is hard to come by for smokeless. Rmc brass has internal dimensions pretty similar to most straight walled hulls and much sturdier. I personally would feel more comfortable with the more expensive brass.
Well...if you want old skul...go nitro card and fiber wads with black powder.

One of the guys in my Annie Oakley league slips one in (albeit plastic hull) once in awhile with black powder. It's a hoot.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 12-02-2023, 5:51 PM
Veteran Member

You can cut down conventional Plastic Hulls and Roll Crimp them or fold crimp them., The whole fold crimping a new hull (or previously uncrimped hull) is all about the Crimp Starter.
Lee has 6 and 8 point Crimp Starters that will crease Fresh Hulls. The kicker is to just keep after the crimp start until you get a hole in the center that is 1/8-3/16".

Then the Final Crimp Tool will easily finish the job of turning it down to the proper depth and it is all Trial and Error on getting everything figured out but it's not that hard.

I use a little Arbor Press to squish the Pre Crimp tool onto the hull. You could also use your Drill Press and do the same thing.

Randy.
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com