Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-18-2019, 6:02 PM

Default Browning Gold Hunter cycle issue

I bought a second hand Browning Gold Hunter 3'. Today, I shot some 2 3/4 7 1/2 shots and the gun jammed almost every 15 bullets. The empty shells from the shot came out half and half jammed in the action.

A nice person in the shooting range suggested that I should replace all springs, two in the front and one in the stock.

Any suggestion on what's wrong and how to fix? (Of course, bring to a gunsmith is one of them).
Old 02-18-2019, 6:17 PM
Veteran Member

Thorough cleaning, including the gas ports, and proper lubrication is the best place to start.

OWNERS MANUAL
Old 02-18-2019, 6:32 PM
Calguns Addict

I’m not familiar with the browning gold but have replaced the spring and housing unit on an old Beretta 390. Also replaced the magazine tube spring. No problems after that. Make sure to clean it really well and find out what should and shouldn’t be lubricated.

http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/...moval.1022186/
Old 02-18-2019, 6:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengyli View Post
A nice person in the shooting range suggested that I should replace all springs, two in the front and one in the stock.
The Browning Gold is a gas operated gun. As you can see in the image below, there are only 2 springs in it. The nice person at the shooting range is not familiar with the gun.

Old 02-18-2019, 7:12 PM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengyli View Post
I bought a second hand Browning Gold Hunter 3'. Today, I shot some 2 3/4 7 1/2 shots and the gun jammed almost every 15 bullets. The empty shells from the shot came out half and half jammed in the action.

Any suggestion on what's wrong and how to fix? (Of course, bring to a gunsmith is one of them).
OP. I'm familiar with the SX3 winchester which is the exact same gas system. Probably needs a good cleaning including checking the two ports to make sure they are clear from gunk on the barrel. Follow this youtube guy. It shows a good example of a detailed cleaning with the browning gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok-cqWOVgQI
Quote:
Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
-Milton Friedman

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic164573_1.gif
Old 02-18-2019, 8:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
The Browning Gold is a gas operated gun. As you can see in the image below, there are only 2 springs in it. The nice person at the shooting range is not familiar with the gun.

Person at the range was correct. There are 3 springs. Sleeve spring, magazine spring and the action spring inside the tube in the stock (you don't see it in the photo because it's inside of the stock).
Old 02-18-2019, 8:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT762 View Post
Person at the range was correct. There are 3 springs. Sleeve spring, magazine spring and the action spring inside the tube in the stock (you don't see it in the photo because it's inside of the stock).
My memory is fading, I don't recall a third spring in the gold I used to own, sold it several years ago.
There is indeed a mention of a recoil spring in the manual, but no image or maintenance recommendations.

My bad
Old 02-18-2019, 8:59 PM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT762 View Post
The OP didn't mention the age of the shotgun. Only that it was second hand. I would suggest the OP simply spend some time cleaning it. Don't invest money into springs if cleaning solves the problem.
Quote:
Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
-Milton Friedman

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic164573_1.gif
Old 02-19-2019, 7:11 AM

Browning eh? Is it a failure to extract, or failure to eject? Or something else?

After a cleaning and lube, check out the brand of shells. Italian hulls extract differently than American hulls which are a little tighter. So Italian shells because they are looser tend to extract easy but the ejector forks sometimes slip and leave the shell dangling. Estate, Fiocchi, Herters, for example.

American shells fpr me which are tighter, tend to stick in the breach and slip off the extractor forks leaving the new shell stacking behind it. Federal, Winchester, Remington, for example.

"The Hillary Clinton school of failure."
Old 02-19-2019, 8:19 AM

As info, Estate shotshells are made by Federal, both of which are divisions of Vista Outdoors. So Federal and Estate shells are not European in production nor configuration. FYI.
Old 02-19-2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperjohn View Post
As info, Estate shotshells are made by Federal, both of which are divisions of Vista Outdoors. So Federal and Estate shells are not European in production nor configuration. FYI.
Mine were made in France. Hence the sucked at ejecting.

Old 02-19-2019, 5:36 PM

Huh. Where’d you find those?
Old 02-19-2019, 10:23 PM

Cabelas before they stopped shipping here. White box, $4.99 each.

Old 02-20-2019, 6:24 PM

I have a Gold Hunter 3" so I read about it, like this thread. If if you Google for the recoil spring, you will find information that these were supposed to have been delivered with a generous amount of a rust inhibitor like Cosmoline on that spring and in the action.

We all clean the action, but I have never pulled that spring out of the stock. I think that even the manual says that the recoil spring needs to be cleaned prior to first use.

I haven't pulled that spring because I haven't shot more than about 1,000 rounds, and pulling that spring, I will probably scratch something that is otherwise pretty nice looking.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:38 PM

I had an issue recently with Rem. Gun Club target loads ejecting incompletely or not at all. Range master and other shooters said it's likely the steel heads of the rounds. Brass is much better.
However, most target loads seem to be steel or silver alloy these days. I tried a box of Federals for a third round and had no issues. I also took out the recoil spring, cleaned and oiled it today. Combustion residue can drift in there and gum things up. Also note a new Beretta A300 didn't miss a beat on the Rems, so could just be a cleaning issue on a Win SX3.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2019, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapdude86 View Post
Is your gun a 2.75” chamber? I only ask because some 2.75” guns with little clearance in the ejection port will jam on Gun Clubs because they have varying lengths so the longer ones jam.
Win Sx3 is 3 inch. Based on your remarks and my experience, I'll stick with Federals.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2019, 2:44 PM

I got a second hand Gold Hunter a few years ago - cheap, absolutely filthy. Dirtiest firearm I have ever seen. Stripped it all the way down and meticulously cleaned it - dont think it had ever been cleaned. Had to soak and scrub the gas piston over a course of 3 days to get it clean. Lubed it well and it has been a rock solid shooter since then.

Put in the time and it should be a great gun for you.

Good advice above. Also take a look at the slide buffer - a polymer piece inserted into the rear of the receiver, those break.

Definitely well clean the action spring and its tube. Also, a worn or weak spring will cause issues.

Keep it lubed.

Good luck, you will love it once you get it runnin.

-Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-01-2019, 12:59 PM

Replace your Browning with a Benelli ������
Old 06-01-2019, 1:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

my semi won't eject or cycle the Remington gun clubs, if you read the box it says my not work in all semi autos, I think they are 1130 fps, under powered for my gun, at least for now it's new.