Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2022, 3:23 PM

Default Obtaining Off Roster Handgun Through A Relative

I’ve been looking into ways of obtaining an off roster handgun without trying to find one and potentially pay a large markup through purchasing one via PPT.

My wife’s grandfather is a resident / property owner in both Oregon and California (Oregon drivers license. Splits time about 50/50 between states)

Would it be possible for him to purchase the gun in Oregon. Transport it to CA and register it at his California address, and then PPT the firearm to me?

Or is the process not an option / illegal to do?
Old 08-17-2022, 3:26 PM
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

No.

The grandfather can gift it to his granddaughter.

Last edited by Garv; 08-17-2022 at 3:31 PM..
Old 08-17-2022, 3:27 PM
1/2 BANNED

No / not Legal
Old 08-17-2022, 3:31 PM

Damn what a shame…
Old 08-17-2022, 3:41 PM

@Garv. If he gifts it to his granddaughter would she then be able to gift it to me? Asking because I’d be looking to register this firearm with a CCW and from my understanding the gun must be registered to me.
Old 08-17-2022, 3:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm556 View Post
@Garv. If he gifts it to his granddaughter would she then be able to gift it to me? Asking because I’d be looking to register this firearm with a CCW and from my understanding the gun must be registered to me.
Welcome to the new guy who is telling CA DOJ how to circumvent and conspire to break the law on a public forum
Old 08-17-2022, 3:53 PM

Lol, just asking for advice on what is / is not legal for obtaining an off roster firearm. Sorry CA DoJ if your laws aren’t clear and poorly written.
Old 08-17-2022, 3:57 PM
1/2 BANNED

Quote:
by him living in both states he can not bring any firearms into the state CA that he bought out side of CA. As CA still will treat him as a CA resident
Old 08-17-2022, 4:06 PM
Calguns Addict

If he gifted it to your wife you shouldn't need to do anything else if you both can legally own firearms
Old 08-17-2022, 4:11 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
I’ve been looking into ways of obtaining an off roster handgun without trying to find one and potentially pay a large markup through purchasing one via PPT.

My wife’s grandfather is a resident / property owner in both Oregon and California (Oregon drivers license. Splits time about 50/50 between states)

Would it be possible for him to purchase the gun in Oregon. Transport it to CA and register it at his California address, and then PPT the firearm to me?

Not legally.

Since your grandfather-in-law is a resident of CA and OR, any firearm he acquires in OR can not be brought into CA without the use of a CA FFL dealer.
If he wants to bring a firearm he acquired in OR to CA, he must ship the CA legal firearm to a CA FFL dealer, who will then transfer (DROS/10 day wait/1in30 day wait) it to him. [PC 27585(a)]
The firearm must be CA legal and if it is a handgun, then it must be listed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale or be exempt from it.
Failure to utilize a CA FFL dealer to import the firearms into CA equates to a misdemeanor per long gun [PC 27590(a)] and a felony per handgun [PC 27590(c)(7)]

Quote:
If he gifts it to his granddaughter would she then be able to gift it to me? Asking because I’d be looking to register this firearm with a CCW and from my understanding the gun must be registered to me.
Since the intent is for you to acquire the firearm, it can not be legally done.

Under Federal laws...
In order for it to be a legitimate gift, your grandfather-in-law must utilize his own money to acquire the firearm and deliver it to a CA FFL dealer, who will then transfer (4473/DROS/10 day wait) to your wife (his granddaughter). Legally, your grandfather-in-law can not be compensated for the gift and must utilize his own funds for this gift.

However, since the intent is for you to end up with the firearm, this "gift" will be considered an illegal firearm transfer (felony straw purchase) which is being conducted by your grandfather-in-law and your wife (his granddaughter). [18 USC 922(a)(6)]

Under CA laws...
Since the intent is for you to end up with the firearm, this is an illegal structured transfer from your grandfather-in-law to your wife (his granddaughter) to you (his grandson-in-law). [PC 27515 and 27520]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 08-17-2022 at 4:19 PM..
Old 08-17-2022, 4:48 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

I've said it before but it can always be said again: The markup you will pay to legally acquire the gun you want from someone in a PPT, is a lot cheaper than bail money and lawyers for your wife and her dad. It isn't even close.

Owning guns is not cheap. Life is short. So go find what you want from someone selling it legally. Or wait for the roster to be struck down.

Old 08-17-2022, 5:44 PM
Administrator

Not an FFL question but CA Law question. Moved.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-17-2022, 6:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Bonta looking for a campaign case?

Come on folks, don't feed the fish.
Old 08-18-2022, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I've said it before but it can always be said again: The markup you will pay to legally acquire the gun you want from someone in a PPT, is a lot cheaper than bail money and lawyers for your wife and her dad. It isn't even close.

Owning guns is not cheap. Life is short. So go find what you want from someone selling it legally. Or wait for the roster to be struck down.
Best advise ever!
Old 08-18-2022, 9:58 AM
Banned

is it possible for someone to adopt a million kids?