Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-13-2020, 8:15 PM

Default Is a pistol with threaded barrel but mag locked legal?

I seem to be getting conflicting info.

Looking to purchase a HK SP5 as a collector gun, the barrel is lugged and threaded but the gun is mag locked. Is this allowed or does the threads have to have a muzzle break etc. pinned and welded? Per two different FFLs, they are willing to do a PPT with the barrel threaded as is as long as its maglocked. Per the research I've done, it's a no go? Can anyone offer some clarification? My thought is that's its the same thing as a AR Pistol. AR pistols that are mag locked are still threaded and not pinned/welded so I'm assuming the HK SP5 as is with threads but maglocked is ok?
Old 02-13-2020, 11:57 PM
Calguns Addict

The muzzle brake does not need to be pinned and welded as a pistol it does not need to meet the minimum rifle barrel length, but I am not sure whether the muzzle brake needs to be installed (my gut feeling is that you do need one on the barrel, but will stand corrected.)

Last edited by C.G.; 02-14-2020 at 8:28 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-14-2020, 8:28 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

If the gun is mag locked such that the mag cannot be removed with the action assembled, then a threaded barrel is OK. If it is mag locked, nothing needs to be installed on the threads, and if something is installed it does not need to be pinned/welded etc.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:14 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
If the gun is mag locked such that the mag cannot be removed with the action assembled, then a threaded barrel is OK. If it is mag locked, nothing needs to be installed on the threads, and if something is installed it does not need to be pinned/welded etc.
What he said.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 02-15-2020, 8:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A quick side issue - pinning and welding is normally required in two scenarios: (1) to avoid having threaded barrel, and (2) to meet the OAL for rifles. As others pointed out above, mag lock prevents threaded barrel causing the AW status, while OAL doesn't apply to pistols.

These rules are really stupid and we hope that sometime in the future they are all stricken down by the courts, but in the meantime they are the law...
Old 02-15-2020, 8:29 AM

Does the overall length of a pistol matter with a threaded barrel for it to be considered a AW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2020, 8:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Overall length is a rifle concept since SBR-s (short barreled rifles) are federally regulated. There is no counterpart for pistols, so OAL doesn't matter.

Just remember there are two sets of laws, federal and state. SBR as a federal issue requires a tax stamp, but as a CA issue they are (mostly) prohibited for regular people. Threaded barrels on pistols are CA state AW issue only.