Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5Grendelfan View Post
When your one sentence has misleading information, people will point it out. Claiming the .40S&W is more powerful than a .30 Carbine is not supported by data for modern ammo.

Hornadyís Critical Defense .30 Carbine 110 gr FTX has 977ftlb muzzle energy and retains 626 ftlbs at 100 yds
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...cal-defense#!/
Ooh! I didn't know stuff like that was being made. I might have to get some.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Reading this thread is like watching a fist fight at a senior home. Slow and painful (for the bystanders).
Old 11-16-2019, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5Grendelfan View Post
They will let you take the skills test with an M1 carbine. I have twice. Thatís the smallest caliber that they let do it.

They give you get extra time (same as AK) for emergency reloads because the bolt does not lock back on empty mag.
My response was specifically about pistol-caliber carbines. I don't think most people would consider an M1-Carbine as pistol-caliber.
Old 11-16-2019, 9:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
Reading this thread is like watching a fist fight at a senior home. Slow and painful (for the bystanders).
Poor OP. Still I give him kudos for sharing his experience taking a pistol caliber carbine to a rifle class, something I have thought about many times, but those 100+ yard shots always make me think twice.

As always, Calguns threads tend to devolve into . . . something else. LOL

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:37 PM

Yeh Poor ME Wah.. bigger wah was me turning 70 yesterday, Now I can cry about that,,, except everyone was so nice to me I'm milking it for everything it's worth!

On the hundred yard shots the problem was not the gun the problem was me, and the Front Sight targets are Gray and don't stand out as well against the dirt backstop.

In the test you only have 5 shots from 100 yards and you can go to whatever position you can get into in the allotted time. At 50 and below you can only use standing and I can make those shots no sweat.

I had to change my optic out after the first day and then we sighted in on the Second Day at 50 yards. The gun is now dead on at 50 yds, however the zero needs to be refined a little more to be dead on at 75 yards. That would be @1" high at 50 and then it will be @3" low at 100.

I was too low on all my 100 yard shots. combo of only a quick Sight in and hard to see target. Also the berm kicked up a serious amount of dust when everybody fired so the second shot you were shooting thru a serious dust cloud.

On the 15 and 20 yard double taps with head shot you could hardly see the targets after everyone shot the first two shots. A serious dust cloud hung over the targets, and if the wind swirled you got to eat a bunch of it.

All the instructors wear Balaclavas for just that reason.

I'll get up to my range next week and refine the zero to where I want it and then get good sight pictures of the 150 and 200 yard holdovers using a rest. I can hit at 200 off a rest no problem as long as I have the sight picture firmly implanted in my head. This is a standard rifle shot at our 3 gun shoots, either off a rest or off a barrier.

I wonder if they'd allow me to use my Trigger Sticks? seems like it would be the same as using a Bipod, which many had on their guns...

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 11-16-2019, 9:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Yeh Poor ME Wah.. bigger wah was me turning 70 yesterday, Now I can cry about that,,, except everyone was so nice to me I'm milking it for everything it's worth!
Well, happy birthday, Randy!

All is not lost. If you haven't drawn on your SSI benefits yet, 70 is when your benefits are maximized....

Quote:
On the hundred yard shots the problem was not the gun the problem was me, and the Front Sight targets are Gray and don't stand out as well against the dirt backstop.
Pssst, let me tell you a secret. Our eyes may be getting weak as we age but our wallets are getting strong Use that to your advantage and buy that Swarovski

Quote:
In the test you only have 5 shots from 100 yards and you can go to whatever position you can get into in the allotted time.
Whatever misses outside the inner thoracic area you get minus 2 and whatever in the white or not on paper at all is minus 5. It isn't not only a hit or a miss.

Quote:
On the 15 and 20 yard double taps with head shot you could hardly see the targets after everyone shot the first two shots. A serious dust cloud hung over the targets, and if the wind swirled you got to eat a bunch of it.
Yup, another reason to be one of the first shooters to get your shots off.

Quote:
I wonder if they'd allow me to use my Trigger Sticks? seems like it would be the same as using a Bipod, which many had on their guns...

Randy
Never seen anyone with shooting sticks in Practical Rifle, but seen a few on Rifle Marksmanship where the time allowed is much longer. Didn't they in Practical Rifle had you starting standing and with your bipod, if you have one, folded?

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I need to visit Front Sight, been wanting to for years...

sounds like a great experience

1A - 2A = -1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunndeal View Post
Stop digging.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post

Didn't they in Practical Rifle had you starting standing and with your bipod, if you have one, folded?.
Yes, they did and you needed knee pads and elbow pads as well (I hate them!!!) but with Trigger sticks all you have to do is deploy the sticks mount the gun and go from there, all in the standing position..

My Trigger Stick is a Bipod. Wish I would have gotten the Tripod version but Midway had these on sale a few years ago for like $50, so that's what I got. They are OK but not as steady as the Tripod version.

I'd have to practice alot with it to get to where I could do it on command but I think it's possible.

Range #48 had no carpet on the 50 or 100 yard lines so if you wanted to go kneeling or prone you had to roll around in the gravel, and it wasn't nice pea gravel, it was the same stuff as on the road. IE; fresh crushed #2 Granite!

Next time I'll take my shooting mat.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com