Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 12-14-2018, 6:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
The only other thing you that can carry that is less lethal than a gun but does not raise legal issues is a taser and/or pepper spay, both of which may not be as effective as a secondary weapon in order to deal w/a threat as a sap, baton or knife.
Those personal tasers are interesting, but worthless if you forget to maintain it and the batteries go dead inside your car. Stun guns seem good and don't go dead real fast at all. The new ones are more powerful and super light compared to the older ones, battery tech and modern designs have come a long way. The pepper blasters that used a small gun powder charge were way cool but of course illegal here.

Lots of single knucks on the market, custom and production as "botttle openers" that look neat, but that'd be silly to have one here IMHO.
Old 12-14-2018, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Those personal tasers are interesting, but worthless if you forget to maintain it and the batteries go dead inside your car. Stun guns seem good and don't go dead real fast at all. The new ones are more powerful and super light compared to the older ones, battery tech and modern designs have come a long way. The pepper blasters that used a small gun powder charge were way cool but of course illegal here. Lots of single knucks on the market, custom and production as "botttle openers" that look neat, but that'd be silly to have one here IMHO.

I've got a civilian C2 Taser (now called the Bolt) that I bought years ago for personal use. I also have some very large cans of pepper spay that I use to carry on-duty. Still effective after all these years. Never used either of them. Always keep an extra battery around for the C2 and sometimes carry it in a Sticky Holster that they make for it. Seldom ever carry the pepper spray.

Both can fail at the worst times but, if you have them and use them in lieu of your gun and they fail, at least you can say that you tried to use less lethal levels of force before you shot but the same argument wouldn't work w/those metal knuckle bottle openers.

LOL!

Last edited by sgt1372; 12-15-2018 at 1:29 PM..
Old 12-14-2018, 4:59 PM

Just completed my Spydie Fixed Blade "self defense/fighting" knife set: From top to bottom are the:

Reverse
Ronin
Street Beat
Street Bowie

The Reverse is comparable to the ZT0750 Talon or the Kerhaw 1410 Talon and the Ronin is obviously comparable to the Yojimbo2. The Street Beat & Bowie are unique to themselves. Lots of other Spydie fixed blade knives available but I don't plan to buy any others, even if they can also be used as self-defense/fighting knives. That's it for this category.

Don't plan to carry any of them anyway. LOL!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpydieFixed Blades.jpg (99.8 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by sgt1372; 12-15-2018 at 1:28 PM..
Old 12-14-2018, 8:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
I've got a civilian C2 Taser (now called the Bolt) that I bought years ago for personal use. I also have some very large cans of pepper spay that I use to carry on-duty. Still effective after all these years. Never used either of them. Always keep an extra battery around for the C2 and sometimes carry it in a Sticky Holster that they make for it. Seldom ever carry the C2.

Both can fail at the worst times but, if you have them and use them in lieu of your gun and they fail, at least you can say that you tried to use less lethal levels of force before you shot but the same argument wouldn't work w/those metal knuckle bottle openers.

LOL!
Cheapest I ever saw those batteries was $50... but you have to buy them.

Ammo is cheap and you get more than one shot.

ON TOPIC... Bought three Leeks today! Yeah I know I am an Onion hater, but these are all the good (speedsafe, stretched out wharnie shape) and none of the bad (fat recurve with no tip).

I'll probably keep the composite one and give the OD ones as gifts.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Old 12-15-2018, 2:16 PM
Win win win win
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Cold Steel Warcraft Tanto 13TL

Nice tapered tang.

Old 12-16-2018, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
Cold Steel Warcraft Tanto 13TL . . .Nice tapered tang.
Cold Steel certainly makes some big f***ing blades.
Old 12-16-2018, 2:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Here's my Kershaw Leek review. They are OK. I am not feeling the desire to keep any of the three I bought, but the BW Composite one is superior for a few reasons and the regular ones are disappointing IMHO. First of all, the Composite one is a different type of knife. Aside from the D2 cutting edge and cool blade pattern, it has zero blade play, wobble and the others do. The others are also liner locks, where the Composite Leek is a frame lock. The frame lock's lock bar is about 4x thicker making it pretty average thickness. The linerlock versions have a thin AL scales over super super thin liners. The liner lock bar on the liner locks is abnormally thin. I'll gift them. The BW would be a keeper but I don't like the design much with the manual closed position lock either.

Old 12-16-2018, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Here's my Kershaw Leek review. They are OK. I am not feeling the desire to keep any of the three I bought, but the BW Composite one is superior for a few reasons and the regular ones are disappointing IMHO. First of all, the Composite one is a different type of knife. Aside from the D2 cutting edge and cool blade pattern, it has zero blade play, wobble and the others do. The others are also liner locks, where the Composite Leek is a frame lock. The frame lock's lock bar is about 4x thicker making it pretty average thickness. The linerlock versions have a thin AL scales over super super thin liners. The liner lock bar on the liner locks is abnormally thin. I'll gift them. The BW would be a keeper but I don't like the design much with the manual closed position lock either.
I've got a couple of Leeks -- one SS and one black blem. Just bought them to include as part of my Ken Onion collection. However, I never planned to carry or use them because, even w/a 3" blade, they are too light/small for my taste. I've never purchased a Scallion or Chive because they are even lighter/smaller than the Leek.

My favorite of this Onion series is still the Shallot. Love the shape of the blade/handle and 3.5" blade and 4oz weight makes the fit/feel perfect for me and carried it for years as my EDC. Had an original black Shallot that I lost and later bought 3 black blems to replace it (because I couldn't find a non-blem anywhere at the time and wanted extras in case I lost 1 again).

Still want to buy a non-blem SS Shallot but ebay sellers are asking way too much for them. It's my favorite knife but I just don't think it's worth the $150+ that most sellers are asking for NIB versions.

Shallot users can be had for around $70-100 but don't want a user at that or any other price. 1 of my black blems is already a user The 2nd/3rd are still unused and are being held in reserve. I might try selling one of the extra black blems and then putting the money towards a NIB SS but I'm in no hurry to do so.
Old 12-16-2018, 2:57 PM

Colonel blade. Next one is a 0450 CF once the local shop gets some in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-16-2018, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

These are nice
I purchased a couple Kershaw OSO knives. These are very impressive for under $12.00. Good for everyday care, don't have to worry about losing them.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 12-16-2018, 5:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
These are nice
I purchased a couple Kershaw OSO knives. These are very impressive for under $12.00. Good for everyday care, don't have to worry about losing them.
They were good deals. $42 for the composite and $24 for the regular Leeks - good discount from regular pricing, I just think Kershaw USA could do better with the OD green ones I received.
Old 12-16-2018, 5:35 PM
Veteran Member

I'd like to see more Kershaw blades made in the US. I think the only one I have made in the US is my Skyline Damascus. I don't mind paying a little more for stuff made here.

Do you know if Kershaw makes any knives with ball bearing pivots?

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 12-16-2018, 8:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'd like to see more Kershaw blades made in the US. I think the only one I have made in the US is my Skyline Damascus. I don't mind paying a little more for stuff made here.

Do you know if Kershaw makes any knives with ball bearing pivots?
Yeah, a few I have had are the Nuras and the Bare Knuckle... two Nuras are Chinese and the 7777 is USA.
Old 12-16-2018, 9:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just got a Natrix XL. Got it apart put some Gun Butter on the bearings and polished up the carbon fiber and done. Very smooth knife!!!

Last edited by shooter1975; 12-16-2018 at 9:17 PM..
Old 12-17-2018, 6:26 AM
Veteran Member

Skallywag Gunners Mate.

Old 12-17-2018, 8:13 AM

ZT 850. This is my first knife I've bought in years. Blue carbon fiber scales, sub frame lock, titanium milled pocket clip, and CPM20CV blade steel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181217_080017.jpg (94.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20181217_080026.jpg (92.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-17-2018, 8:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarikinaMan View Post
Skallywag Gunners Mate.

Nice looking blade... I think it is a lot beefier than it appears in your pic. 8.5" blade .25" stock. Nice. Reminds me of a GimmeJR (J Garrison) blade I have.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
You will probably be seeing more US Made knives generally because of the Trump's tariffs on Chinese made goods and the reciprocal Chinese tariffs on US imports. I haven't compiled a complete list but I am now focused on collecting the few US made Kerhaws currently available that use M390 steel, which includes (as far as I know) the:

Link (1776BLK)
Dividend (1812BLK)
Knockout (1870BLSW) which is a USA Made Blade Exclusive

Only have the Link at this moment but plan to buy the other 2 buy year's end. Feel free to add to this list if you are aware of any others.

There's also a Leek (1660CF) in CPM154 but since I already have 2 Leeks and it's not one of my favorite knives, I'm not sure I'm going to get one of these too. I also understand that all of the auto Launch models use CPM 154 as well but I'm not a big fan of their autos either. Additionally, while CPM154 use to be considered a very "high grade" steel, that isn't exactly the case any more. No doubt, it's still an excellent blade steel but has been surpassed in quality by many others since it was 1st developed.

For a comparison of blade steel quality and characteristics, see: https://knifeinformer.com/discoverin...t-knife-steel/

Last edited by sgt1372; 12-17-2018 at 3:35 PM..