Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-27-2018, 4:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Default How I usually find Wndows drivers with Linux... but Win10 clean install: me=stumped.

Normally, finding drivers for new a newer OS with older hardware (EOL by MFR), I just boot to a Linux Live Distro and do a lspci.
I assume this is the one, as it usually is, but no love trying to use what I found this one time:
"00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801IBM/IEM (ICH9M/ICH9M-E) 4 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 03)"
Normally I just google variants "82801IBM/IEM" "82801IBM" "82801IEM" "ICH9M" "ICH9M-E" for driver-love.
Can't find the driver, apparently(?) even though I have tried multiple variants, like I usually have done in the installer with prior Windows versions, if the drive isn't detected by installing controller drivers.

The funny thing is that Windows 10 sees the drive, and I can monkey with the driver/partitions and make it bootable, format it, "clean" it, etc, but Windows does not want to see it in the installer GUI, like every prior OS could just fine. I have dropped to the cli and run diskpart, and selected disk 0 and cleaned it, but no love from the installer GUI.
Diskpart: Selected disk 0, "cleaned", created partition, "format fs=ntfs quick", then marked it active, no love.
Tried a NIB 1TB Samsung EVO too, so it seems to be controller driver related?
I can see all drives in diskpart, no matter which one I use, just can't see them in the installer GUI, and it is asking for a driver... weird, as I can see the drive at the cli!

Normally if I have any issues with a PRIOR ver of Windows install, I just write zeros to the MBR (well for like 3 seconds, until I do a CTL-C with a "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M") and it always (unless some weird 1st gen SATA 6Gig controller) just works OOTB.

Granted this is the 1st Windows 10 I have installed from scratch (not upgrade DVD), my former installs were actually upgrades, which got back revved to Windows 7, but it's time... now that the newer 10 builds are equiv of XPSP2.

BIOS/Firmware current on the drive and notebook, but this is the same result I get with another machine w/out current BIOS and SSD.

I thought the Windows 10 installer just not like Intel SSDs?
I have 2 types a MSATA in a SATA adapter, and some OG OEM that came in these T-400's. Never a problem in prior versions of Windows.
I haven't tried a platter SATA drive yet, but that is kind of pointless.
NIB Samsung 1TB drive is seen in the diskpart CLI too.

Am I doing something wrong with this new fancy legit Windows 10 installer created via the Media creation util?

Any help would be appreciated, and flames are AOK, IF I get results...

Last edited by the86d; 11-27-2018 at 4:51 AM..
Old 11-28-2018, 7:47 PM
Calguns Addict

THAT is what I get for using the 64GB "Wish" MicroSD cards to try to install... in a USB reader.

Made an installer USB stick with a Lexar, and a Sandisk, and it worked perfectly, 2x, everything was flawless.

I didn't have any USB sticks in the house, and since the 64GB "Wish" MicroSDs were "seeming so reliable", it appears they are not, as initially tested.

Moral to the story, STILL DON'T USE Wish/eBay flash, even for theoretically mundane tasks!!!
Old 07-29-2021, 4:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Weird, the MicroSD must have flipped a bit, causing the driver routine(/ or Windows?) to not find the controller/driver built into the Windows installer?

THEN AGAIN, I tried re-writing the card I think 2x, so could the same bit get flipped?
VERY ODD, considering that every USB stick I ever tried always worked.

Last edited by the86d; 07-29-2021 at 4:30 AM..
Old 07-29-2021, 10:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Is it GPT or MBR? Drop into a shell from the windows install and check out diskpart. Nuke everything, set the GPT bit, reboot and try again.
Check it out I'm like a buzz bomb
Old 07-29-2021, 5:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
Is it GPT or MBR? Drop into a shell from the windows install and check out diskpart. Nuke everything, set the GPT bit, reboot and try again.
Na, it was the MicroSD with the issues.

I never used those the wife bought off Wish again, and haven't have an issues since, and LOTS of Win10 installs.

This thread was 2018 Necromancy...

Last edited by the86d; 07-29-2021 at 5:38 PM..