Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2019, 8:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

i just sold my last house in east sac. we loved that house, old neighborhood and good eats around. the problem was the homeless.

sacramento is just an all around shthole these days and only getting worse.

the only areas i would ever consider having family live is fair oaks and carmichael. carmichael is getting iffy too as is fair oaks.

pocket of course is nice but its so far to get to with traffic, you might as well live in auburn like i do.
Old 05-17-2019, 8:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Deplorable View Post
I dont think you understand the politics of Yolo County. It is heavily Democratic probably due to the city of Davis which is extreme yuppy left leaning. Its like a suburban Berkeley. Even if the Sheriff started issuing CCWs for no reason other than "I want one" (which it should be BTW) as soon as this becomes known by the "leaders" and residents of Davis it will cause an uproar. We are talking about the city where the mayor and city council harrassed the police department into returning a free MRAP. Absolutely no way they arent going to raise a ruckus about the sheriff isuing permits to everyday citizens. Hell, pretty much half of Davis is a "gun free zone". Not to mention the mayor of West Sac is an openly gay extreme leftist, even went to the border to "protest" child detentions. Yeah no, CCW in Yolo is a pipe dream.
I know quite a bit about the politics of the “nuclear free” zone of Davis. When they found out that the AF had nuke bombers at Mather, Davis decided they needed immunity, so they banned the use of nukes within the city of Davis. (It appears to have worked.). They also raised heck until the city built a toad tunnel under a busy road, so migrating roads wouldn’t get squashed. (They didn’t build the tunnel where the toads actually cross, so the toads ignore the tunnel and still get smooshed.)

Yeah, Davis has provided interesting entertainment since I got here 40 years ago. The major thing in the new Sheriff’s favor is the local dignitaries dumped The former Sheriff (Prieto) in favor of this guy. And Prieto was (among other things) a complete anti 2A jerk.

Having said that, the biggest impediment now is the recent killing of a rookie police officer in Davis. That single incident will be improperly inflated to become the cornerstone of anti-CCW (or firearms) activity in Davis.

BTW: The fact the West Sac mayor is gay is irrelevant to this issue.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 05-17-2019 at 9:08 AM..
Old 05-17-2019, 12:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrider View Post
LOL! He's young.

Born and raised in southern California and tired of it, wants a new experience somewhere further north. No specific reason for choosing Sacramento, other than it is more affordable than the Bay Area. He's wanted to leave SoCal for a while and finally decided to do it when their lease is up.

He owns his own business and works from home, will continue to do the same. I know he'll do well.

I'm just hoping to steer him away from the bad areas.

All replies are appreciated. Thanks.
Then bypass the city of Sacramento completely and go into El Dorado County in the foothills. Look around Placerville.
Old 05-17-2019, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
Nep,

Isn't Gold River an HOA community? I drove their once to help my neighbor drop off his kid and talk about a "gray" area. Everything looked identical like some sort of cult town movie.
Yeah, I mentally blockforget the HOA bit sometimes...
Old 06-05-2019, 6:32 AM

Wow, there are a lot of people that are easily afraid/scared.

I'd just stay out of south sac, oak Park, del paso heights, and parts of north Highlands.

Natomas, Fair Oaks, Carmichael, Antelope, Rocklin, Roseville, Folsom, rancho Cordova, elk Grove, a lot of downtown, east sac, a lot of West sac, etc are all fine and safe to live in.

These are all in sac or within a 20-40m drive to downtown.

It's a pretty safe city. There are a lot of homeless people downtown, but other than that it's fine.

Again, just don't move into south sac, oak Park, or del paso heights, and you should be good. Even then, I know people that lived or live there and haven't had any problems.
Old 06-05-2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansysinatra View Post

rancho Cordova,
Really? you either haven't lived or worked there lately or have been misinformed. It's not nicknamed rancho cambodia for nothing.
Old 06-09-2019, 2:00 PM

This really isn't rocket science. The high income neighborhoods always tend to be lower crime. Such as Folsom, Roseville, Fair Oaks.

Yolo County is interesting, because the City of Davis is wildly progressive, young and super fun for young people. But outside that town, Yolo is largely rural farm country and therefore conservative. I sincerely doubt a young couple just starting out could afford anything in Davis or Fair Oaks.

I do think a young couple would like Midtown in the City of Sacramento. It's young, hip, handy to restaurants and entertainment, the downtown sports stadium and not insanely priced. AND, if they're interested in CCW, the Sacramento Chief of Police has handed that to the County Sheriff, so CCW is very possible in mid town.

And NATEWA really made me grind my teeth for his screaming racism. ALL the areas he listed are traditionally black and hispanic neighborhoods, and not necessarily high crime. He's certainly entitled to his opinions, but I wish he had been braver and owned up to his prejudices.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 06-09-2019 at 2:05 PM..
Old 06-09-2019, 3:08 PM

Here is a map of Sacramento depicting crime rates in each neighborhood:

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/sacramento/crime

Decide for yourself.
Old 06-20-2019, 1:25 PM

There are still some parts of midtown that are relatively affordable, namely the Boulevard Park Area, Alkali Flats, the northern part of the grid between D and J streets, north and south, and between 10th and 19th street, east to west.

I know this because I live in that area, and my rent is relatively cheap (I dont know for how much longer though). Granted, the apartment I live in is relatively old, as are all of the "affordable" apartments on the grid, but ideal for a young couple. I'd recommend riding through the area on a bike and look for "for rent" signs, that is usually where the best deals are had, since you are likely renting directly from the landlord, instead of a property management company. Also, since it is centrally located, it is pretty easy to commute/get around, unlike people who live further north and have to deal with the perpetual bottleneck known as Business 80.

Also, since its in Sacramento, it is very CCW friendly due to Sheriff Jones.

Last edited by Carnitas1209; 06-20-2019 at 1:27 PM..
Old 06-20-2019, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT View Post
i just sold my last house in east sac. we loved that house, old neighborhood and good eats around. the problem was the homeless.

sacramento is just an all around shthole these days and only getting worse.

the only areas i would ever consider having family live is fair oaks and carmichael. carmichael is getting iffy too as is fair oaks.

pocket of course is nice but its so far to get to with traffic, you might as well live in auburn like i do.
I would love to live in East Sac, but is the homeless problem really that bad there? I thought it was more concentrated on the grid? Either way, I have lived in Midtown for about a decade and like it there, except for the cost of housing. My GF and I would really like to live in East Sac, as we consider it a "step up" from midtown. Also, I think we have grown accustomed to the homeless, we only see them pass by, since I and several of the neighbors made it clear that we will not tolerate any loitering on the property or parking lot.
Old 06-20-2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnitas1209 View Post
I would love to live in East Sac, but is the homeless problem really that bad there? I thought it was more concentrated on the grid? Either way, I have lived in Midtown for about a decade and like it there, except for the cost of housing. My GF and I would really like to live in East Sac, as we consider it a "step up" from midtown. Also, I think we have grown accustomed to the homeless, we only see them pass by, since I and several of the neighbors made it clear that we will not tolerate any loitering on the property or parking lot.
If you think mid town housing cost is high, wait till you check out east sac. homeless in east sac north of 50 is not a problem
Old 06-21-2019, 10:35 AM

I lived in Stanford Ranch (Rocklin) for about 10 years. Nice area but getting really crowded and I grew up in the Bay Area (Palo Alto, Los Gatos). Moved to Auburn about three years ago and we love it there.
Old 07-05-2019, 6:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
FIL lived in Sac. We found it an interesting area. Where most cities have a "wrong side of the tracks" Sac seemed to have small bad neighborhoods mixed randomly throughout all the nice areas.
^ This is very true about all of Sacramento except the outer high income suburbs(Folsom, Rocklin, Roseville, Granite Bay, etc.) Elk Grove butts up to S. Sac, so by proximity it gets invaded easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrider View Post
LOL! He's young.

Born and raised in southern California and tired of it, wants a new experience somewhere further north. No specific reason for choosing Sacramento, other than it is more affordable than the Bay Area. He's wanted to leave SoCal for a while and finally decided to do it when their lease is up.

He owns his own business and works from home, will continue to do the same. I know he'll do well.

I'm just hoping to steer him away from the bad areas.

All replies are appreciated. Thanks.
Good god... Why is he looking to California still? sounds like every reason to go where we all want to be. Go North! Go North East!
Old 07-05-2019, 8:36 PM

Nothing about Sacramento is worth bragging about with Steinberg in charge. Look at the various taxes implemented since Steinberg came into office, neighborhoods ruined, as Sacramento becomes the cess pool just like Newsom left San francisco and Los Angeles. I live east of Sacramento and I am no fan of Folsom but I do not go further west than Folsom. And people will turn you in just for thinking you might own a gun. Stay away from sacramento if you like what you have.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
This really isn't rocket science. The high income neighborhoods always tend to be lower crime. Such as Folsom, Roseville, Fair Oaks.

Yolo County is interesting, because the City of Davis is wildly progressive, young and super fun for young people. But outside that town, Yolo is largely rural farm country and therefore conservative. I sincerely doubt a young couple just starting out could afford anything in Davis or Fair Oaks.

I do think a young couple would like Midtown in the City of Sacramento. It's young, hip, handy to restaurants and entertainment, the downtown sports stadium and not insanely priced. AND, if they're interested in CCW, the Sacramento Chief of Police has handed that to the County Sheriff, so CCW is very possible in mid town.

And NATEWA really made me grind my teeth for his screaming racism. ALL the areas he listed are traditionally black and hispanic neighborhoods, and not necessarily high crime. He's certainly entitled to his opinions, but I wish he had been braver and owned up to his prejudices.
Uh...not a racist or prejudice and don’t appreciate the accusation.

Check statistics regarding ethnicity and crime in and around Sac.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-nei...sacramento-ca/

Here we go
Old 07-06-2019, 7:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
These ratings are nonsense.

Granite Regional Park isn’t a neighborhood. It’s a former dirt mine (big hole in ground) given to the county for a park (and a large tax benefit to Granite Corp.).
Old 07-06-2019, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
These ratings are nonsense.

Granite Regional Park isn’t a neighborhood. It’s a former dirt mine (big hole in ground) given to the county for a park (and a large tax benefit to Granite Corp.).
Look at the very bottom and it lists the population for each area. Granite Regional has a population of 114. So yeah, I would agree with you that it’s not a neighborhood. The article details what factors they use to rank areas. Also take a look at the map Mark in Folsom (don’t recall his exact user name) posted. There are areas within a neighborhood that have more crime.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:31 AM

I moved to Eldorado Hills from the Peninsula 3 years ago. I'm more worried about getting runned over by some snobby person in a Tesla or Mercedes running a red light then I am about getting robbed or shot! I'm working on getting my SUV fitted with headlight machine guns and a 360 degree force field.
Old 07-06-2019, 1:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
Look at the very bottom and it lists the population for each area. Granite Regional has a population of 114. So yeah, I would agree with you that it’s not a neighborhood. The article details what factors they use to rank areas. Also take a look at the map Mark in Folsom (don’t recall his exact user name) posted. There are areas within a neighborhood that have more crime.
Village 5 is a new community being built north of Roberts. But the stats don’t take into account that the projects just west of that area have recently been removed for low income housing. There’s also a large population of “people experiencing homelessness” (Sac Bee term) in that area.

This is put out by a North Carolina firm based solely on nonsense data crushing.

Mark’s map is far more detailed and fact-based.
Old 07-06-2019, 5:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Mark’s map is far more detailed and fact-based.
Agree. That map provides a great visual of high and low crime areas in Sac.

I’d still use the website as a guide when looking for a rental.
Old 09-16-2019, 1:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Generally speaking, it's a dump. Avoid it at all costs.
Old 09-16-2019, 4:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Generally speaking, it's a dump. Avoid it at all costs.
The city and environs are actually quite nice. It would be far nicer if folks from throughout the state would stop sending us morons from the ‘hood to live here as their “representatives”.