Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 03-05-2010, 9:04 PM

Exclamation Insight Range in Artesia, I wasn't allowed to rent a gun there since I was alone

Well I cant really review this place because, I have broken one of their rules.
Rule one you cannot shoot alone.

So I finally found shotting range close to me in long beach, were I can go shotting, I live right by the 91 Freeway so I can hop on the freeway and get there in ten minutes, if I was going to the other shotting range in Torrance or Los Angeles, it would take 30 minutes to Torrance to the shotting range, and 45-50 minutes to the shotting range by LAX, I have over three thousands dollars in the bank that I saved up.

So I went to the Insight Shooting Range Inc last week, www.insightrangeinc.com 17020 Alburtis Avenue Artesia, CA 90701-2615 check out their website there was NO rule one, and I did not call them because I did not want to spend 1 dolor on my t-moble pre-paid contract, so as I got there, took me 10 minutes on the 91, place look nice lots of parking compared to the LAX shotting range, parking on the street.

I went inside there was two Korean people and old man and women, and one white guy, the Koreans did not say or ask me any questions, it did not bother me because most old Koreans are like that calm and quite, the white guy said hello, politely can I help you with anything, I said hi this is my first time here can you tell me the prices you have for gun rental, rage and so on, and he show me the guns they had for sale, and for rental he ask me if I was in law enforcement, I told him no, then he told me that I cannot shoot alone, I have been to many shooting ranges in California I was shock and surprise because I never herd that before and I finally found a shotting range that was very close to me, and now I drove all this way and I cannot use there service, because I came there alone and I am not a cop.

So here I am 28 years old I don't own a gun because I want to try different guns before I finally buy my first gun my hand can really handle a glock 22,37 and a Walther P22, I got my handgun safety certificate from turners two months ago, I have money saved, so I know I can afford to buy a gun, so back at Insight Shooting Range, the guy told me cant shoot unless I bring someone with me, or if I am in law enforcement I was not mad just surprise he told me if I own a gun I said no then he told me if I own a gun then they cannot rent guns to me.

Ok so now I have to buy a gun probably a cheep, or one I don't want, to go back to this place to shoot, I left the place disappointed, I forgot to ask him why you cant shoot alone or if I bring in a gun can I still shoot alone.

When I went back home I call a few friends to find of if they want to go with me but all my friends and family, live in Los Angeles and no one wants to drive from LA to Artesia, they would rather go to the LAX, or Sharpshooter Inc Indorr Target in Torrance, I really don't want to drive back to long beach on the 405 in the afternoon or at night 3-5PM, because of bad traffic, everyone is going home, and I do not have anyone to go with on the carpool.

So Insight Shooting Range, found a nice shooting range place by me, I guess I cannot go back there until I find someone to go with me, and when you go with someone to a shooting range everyone knows, you end up spending more money than you plan on spending, I would rather shoot alone because thats how I can train myself how to shoot because, I don't want to hire someone to teach me how to shoot thats even more money out of my pocket, and I like to live on a budget when it comes to shotting ranges because of the recent prices on ammunition
Old 03-05-2010, 9:08 PM

The range here in Oceanside has the same policy. If you bring your own gun, it counts as your "buddy". Otherwise, you have to bring a friend.
Old 03-05-2010, 9:22 PM

Actually, that policy of not shooting alone for rental guns is getting more common. Mainly to prevent people from suicides.
Old 03-05-2010, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfalcon View Post
Actually, that policy of not shooting alone for rental guns is getting more common. Mainly to prevent people from suicides.
They told me about that policy a while ago... if you go there often and they know you, they may let you shoot alone.

What kind of guns were you looking to try out? I have several and live fairly close to there if you ever wanna go there. They are pretty cool otherwise and I've never had a problem shooting there. I've never rented though... alway bring my own stuff.
Old 03-05-2010, 9:45 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hk996 View Post
They told me about that policy a while ago... if you go there often and they know you, they may let you shoot alone.
Generally, range "members" are exempt... and that may include known customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 03-05-2010, 9:49 PM

Quote:Originally Posted by chris
This state is so stupid it makes Forrest Gump look like Steven Hawking smart.

More like the state of California.

I guess I have to buy something cheep I will have to get an Hi-Point 9mm.

They are trying to prevent having to clean up brain matter on their property.
Old 03-05-2010, 9:24 PM
Super Moderator

Next time, bring a friend. That rule is popping up at every range that rents out guns.

69Mach1
munkeeboi
TURBOELKY
antix2
WTSGDYBBR
tujungatoes
jmpgnr24K
Old 03-05-2010, 9:27 PM

most ranges I have been to had that rule.
Old 03-05-2010, 9:26 PM

I guess I never notice the bring buddy system to spend more money on ammo and targets, it does not happen to me at the LAX or Torrance Ranges. If you bring a friend you can just shoot your friend and then blow your brains out, If someone want to commit suicide, just bother some gang member or drink a two bottles of night Quill, my day got ruined because of this stupid Pus*y state.

Last edited by joekill162; 03-05-2010 at 9:30 PM..
Old 03-07-2010, 10:02 AM

[QUOTE=joekill162;3913436]I guess I never notice the bring buddy system to spend more money on ammo and targets

I dont think they purposely do this to make you spend more money. I think its to help curb range suicides. I remember the old Santa Anita indoor range had at least three. The common factor is the lone person that comes to the range to do this. Even then having two people still cant guarantee anything. If you can find a range that will rent to you alone, then I would go there.
Old 03-11-2010, 1:35 PM

Why would you buy a cheap gun just because you can't rent a gun by yourself? Every range in SoCal that I've been to, (4 or them) all require you to bring your own gun or bring a buddy...
Old 03-20-2010, 4:55 AM
Lifetime Contributor #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekill162 View Post
I guess I never notice the bring buddy system to spend more money on ammo and targets, it does not happen to me at the LAX or Torrance Ranges. If you bring a friend you can just shoot your friend and then blow your brains out, If someone want to commit suicide, just bother some gang member or drink a two bottles of night Quill, my day got ruined because of this stupid Pus*y state.

I think it is a good rule. If you look into it, you will find that darn near every indoor range around has that rule. If you look further, you will find that someone HAS committed suicide at each of the ranges that you mentioned in your diatribe. In other words, this rule was born of necessity.

It seems that you are new to shooting. Welcome to Calguns. Stick around and participate. There are lots of people that are local to that range.

For example, this past Thursday I was at Insight. I was shooting on Lane 6. It turned out that I knew everyone that was using lanes 1-5, and about 50% of the people on the other side of me.

Not including Jesse (the Range Officer), who does a really good job of keeping it safe for all....one guy was triple tapping...for about 2 seconds before Jesse got to him.

Since you say you have 3K in the bank, why buy a cheap gun..? That seems counterproductive. Buy a decent pistol, get off the bench, and get into 'the game'.

g
Old 03-20-2010, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknow View Post

Since you say you have 3K in the bank, why buy a cheap gun..? That seems counterproductive. Buy a decent pistol, get off the bench, and get into 'the game'.

g
Oh I am ready get into 'the game as soon as I get my gun, I don't want to waste to much money on a better gun, since I am new to guns, later on I will buy two more guns, a glock 26 for Concealed carry and a revolver for home protection.
Old 03-05-2010, 9:31 PM

it's a rule to discourage suicide. they figure if a guy already has a gun, he can do himself in at home.
Old 03-05-2010, 9:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

yea even the oc indoor range in brea has that policy. no alone renter, but if you bring your own, then its fine.

the second person does not have to shoot at all, just have to be there. they can just sit at the lounge at insight and you can just shoot and they are fine with it.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Ranges not allowing you to rent and shoot alone, unless your a LEO, is nothing new. Several ranges I've gone to, including Insight, have had this rule for quite some time as far as I know.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echidin View Post
Ranges not allowing you to rent and shoot alone, unless your a LEO, is nothing new. Several ranges I've gone to, including Insight, have had this rule for quite some time as far as I know.
+1 Nothing New, Insurance Reasons. Go with a friend, Buy your Own. Their Range Their Rules. Works for me.
Old 03-06-2010, 1:12 AM

Pretty common rule here in the Bay also! Honestly thought that was the case everywhere due to suicides occurring in the past!
Old 03-06-2010, 7:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggod408 View Post
Pretty common rule here in the Bay also! Honestly thought that was the case everywhere due to suicides occurring in the past!
Yeah, folks, I'm honestly surprised anyone would be surprised to find out that ranges won't let you rent alone. This is pretty much the rule everywhere.

Turby
Old 03-08-2010, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggod408 View Post
Suicides is one thing, it's also having family members suing the range for giving the person the gun, enabling him/her to kill him/herself.

Same thing with criminals breaking into your home, getting shot, and have their family sue you in a civil suit. Because taking responsibility for raising a dumb son/daughter is unheard of.
Old 03-06-2010, 7:58 PM

Must bring a friend to rent.. Bring your own stuff you can shoot all day. Never had a problem there. Staff is great, range is big and clean, lots of parking.
It is my go to spot. I live right next to the firing line in H.B. Can't stand the place. It's worth the drive.
Old 03-06-2010, 8:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It was standard policy at the range I used to work at. You can thank the inconsiderate and selfish bastards who make a range shut down for hours, get the range's firearms confinscated and don't even pay their bill!
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 03-06-2010, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
It was standard policy at the range I used to work at. You can thank the inconsiderate and selfish bastards who make a range shut down for hours, get the range's firearms confiscated and don't even pay their bill!
Don't forget the clean up!!

I go to insight all the time. I talked with one of the employees there about this at length, because i did not understand the policy at first. When he told me why (suicides, exactly as described in above posts), it made perfect sense. Just never thought of it before.

Great place. Family owned and operated. The best game in town (and now the only game in this area of town). Friendly if you are friendly to them.

BTW if you do a ppt there, they will let you shoot your gun during the DROS period.

Last edited by HokeySon; 03-06-2010 at 9:36 PM..
Old 03-06-2010, 9:12 PM

Insight was the first indoor range I've been to. Not surprised at all by the rule to be honest. Great facility. Tons of lanes, even more parking, clean, friendly staff and a big selection as well as great prices.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:30 PM

This is why I don't want to bring a friend or girlfriend.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a9b_1239071171

My God I Google "suicides at gun ranges" make me never want to go to a gun range agan.

Last edited by joekill162; 03-06-2010 at 10:37 PM..
Old 03-06-2010, 10:42 PM

If you seen the video, and read the reports, it obviously, the son fault, why take someone to a shooting range who has an mental illness, and was hospitalize for attempting suicide in the past.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

its weird they wouldnt let you shoot your own stuff i thought you just had to watch out for the guy who rents a gun and buys one bullet

i mean if you already have your gun you could do it in the parking lot
Old 03-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
its weird they wouldnt let you shoot your own stuff
They will. It's rentals that need either a buddy, or at least bring your own gun.
IOTW, say I'm thinking of a 357 and want to rent an SP101 and maybe a couple of Smiths... I'm good to go on the rental if I bring my 1911 with me.

Joe Schmoe off the street that's not a member of the range? No rentals without a buddy.

It really is nothing unique to Insight, it's a pretty universal policy, and I think the OP is overreacting. It has nothing to do with the state itself... the ranges are just covering their own butts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 03-07-2010, 7:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokeySon View Post
Don't forget the clean up!!
I was trying not to get too graphic. It seems the OP is a bit hypersensitive (just due to the fact the fact that he was offended by their policy) and I didn't want him o have nightmares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekill162 View Post
This is why I don't want to bring a friend or girlfriend.

My God I Google "suicides at gun ranges" make me never want to go to a gun range agan.

You are over reacting. Due to most rental ranges policies, this is far from a common occurance. If it was common, it wouldn't make the news! You are far more likely to see someone kill themself driving down the road or walking across the GG Bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
They will. It's rentals that need either a buddy, or at least bring your own gun.
IOTW, say I'm thinking of a 357 and want to rent an SP101 and maybe a couple of Smiths... I'm good to go on the rental if I bring my 1911 with me.

Joe Schmoe off the street that's not a member of the range? No rentals without a buddy.

It really is nothing unique to Insight, it's a pretty universal policy, and I think the OP is overreacting. It has nothing to do with the state itself... the ranges are just covering their own butts.
Yea, we had that basic policy as well. We changed it just before we closed down. After a customer (who was even a friend of one of te owners) brought in his own gun (it was broken) and then rented one of ours! He ended up stiffing us for his bill of about $75, making us shut the place down for the rest of the evening and the cost of clean up too! So, we changed our policy to: any rentals must be to parties of two or more.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 03-06-2010, 11:01 PM

Suicidal Tedencies (oh wait thats a band)
Old 03-06-2010, 11:04 PM

This rule makes sense and if you want to keep ranges open in your area you should try to understand why they're doing this. Of course it's to cover their own butts, but it's also so WE can still have a place to shoot.

I can understand why you'd be frustrated, but I hope you don't spread anything bad (not saying you already do or will) about Insight. I've been there many times and I have only good things to say about them. Minus the occasional gang banger wanna bes you see at any range -_-.
Old 03-07-2010, 8:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

oh so the title is misleading

if they will let you shoot alone if you bring your own guns

the subject title should read they will not let you "rent a gun if you are alone"

the difference is great
Old 03-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

OP you need to call places of business before you drive a whole 10 mins down the 91.

insight is a solid range and the whole not being able to shoot by yourself with a rental is a very very common rule.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:46 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING_PALM View Post
OP you need to call places of business before you drive a whole 10 mins down the 91.

insight is a solid range and the whole not being able to shoot by yourself with a rental is a very very common rule.
+1

It's a very misleading title... This post sounds like it's trying to badmouth Insight Shooting Range when they've done nothing wrong.

IMHO, the fault is on the OP 100% for not finding out what the rules were. I have no qualms with ranges not letting you rent guns when you are by yourself. This is very typical at San Diego ranges as well.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:34 AM

I would suggest to change the title too. I'm going to Insight later this afternoon and did take the time to call after reading this post. I thought that they changed the policy and was quite frustrated. Turns out only rentals by yourself are prohibited. That is par for the course in every range that rents firearms as far as I know.

To the OP/moderators - Please edit the title of this post to this.

Thanks and happy trails...

LGB
Old 03-07-2010, 12:53 PM

Most, if not all the indoor ranges here within a 50 mile radius have that rule where you cannot shoot alone with a rental from them. You can only shoot alone if you're bringing your own equipment and by owning a gun, they can assume you're a "responsible" gun owner and not there to commit suicide so easily with their rentals. I believe renting from them is ok if you have your own gun also.

I don't understand the issue you're having. Think about it from the range owners' and bystanders' viewpoints. How many people non shooters/enthusiasts will be traumatized who are just there to view, and then the liability the owners have to deal with if someone were to do something so selfish.

Other than this rant, I think Insight is really one of the nicest ranges in the LA vicinity with excellent pricing for the amount of time you're allowed there. Good helpful staff and they sweep brass for you while inspecting the lanes at the same time to make sure all is well.
I frequent Sharpshooters often because they are literally around the corner from work. Those guys operate like cowboys and you have lots of freedom, but the range needs some maintenance. Broken target holders, bad lighting, and grumpy old Fred . You just have to catch him on an off day when he's "happier".
Old 03-08-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpea76 View Post
I believe renting from them is ok if you have your own gun also.
Just to confirm this, I went to Insight a couple weeks ago and YES you can rent a gun from them if you are alone and have your own gun.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpea76 View Post
Most, if not all the indoor ranges here within a 50 mile radius have that rule where you cannot shoot alone with a rental from them. You can only shoot alone if you're bringing your own equipment and by owning a gun, they can assume you're a "responsible" gun owner and not there to commit suicide so easily with their rentals. I believe renting from them is ok if you have your own gun also.

I don't understand the issue you're having. Think about it from the range owners' and bystanders' viewpoints. How many people non shooters/enthusiasts will be traumatized who are just there to view, and then the liability the owners have to deal with if someone were to do something so selfish.

Other than this rant, I think Insight is really one of the nicest ranges in the LA vicinity with excellent pricing for the amount of time you're allowed there. Good helpful staff and they sweep brass for you while inspecting the lanes at the same time to make sure all is well.
I frequent Sharpshooters often because they are literally around the corner from work. Those guys operate like cowboys and you have lots of freedom, but the range needs some maintenance. Broken target holders, bad lighting, and grumpy old Fred . You just have to catch him on an off day when he's "happier".
I agree, Insight is a nice range, with nice staff, I am not bad mouthing Insight the thing is, I shot alone at LAX and Sharpshooter in Torrance all the time, and I just did not know that insight had this rule, its not on their site, and I do not own a handgun and a good, reliable, handgun, is very expensive $500 and up, I will buy a hand gun soon.

Also im new to guns, so it was not until after I started this thread I found out about suicides, at shooting ranges, the first time I ever herd of it, and Google it, I Google it I did not know it was this out of hand