Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 02-10-2018, 5:34 PM

Talking Son going to Navy Bootcamp in September

I did a google search, but didn’t find anything. I didn’t want to ask the recruiter because he might think I’m a gun nut( which I am ). I want my son to get some trigger time before he ships out. Does anyone know what rifle the Navy uses in bootcamp if any. M4 with iron sights or Aimpoint?
Old 02-10-2018, 6:12 PM

I found this, looks like no m4 only pistol and maybe shotgun, kinda surprised myself that’s all they do. Depending on his mos if he’s security forces or goes SEALs he will obviously be getting more trigger time with different weapons.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mil...ourse.html/amp
Old 02-10-2018, 9:49 PM
Calguns Addict

I heard recently M9 and Mossberg 500 at most.
Old 02-11-2018, 8:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Why waste time shooting a rifle when you are riding on a floating killing machine with machine guns, cannons and missiles. The best part of the Navy is that your equipment carries you rather than the other way around.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4E Phantom View Post
I did a google search, but didn’t find anything. I didn’t want to ask the recruiter because he might think I’m a gun nut( which I am ). I want my son to get some trigger time before he ships out. Does anyone know what rifle the Navy uses in bootcamp if any. M4 with iron sights or Aimpoint?
Let's see..... I was in NAVY boot camp in '99. I am laughing at your last sentence. The gun the NAVY used when i went through was a BB gun that loosely resembled an M16. Yep, that's right. Just like the ones your kid probably shot at the state fair when he was 10. It was so disappointing I can't even begin to tell you. I have been around guns my entire life, and I was stoked to do some shooting in boot camp. I felt like I had just been punched in the gut, wasn't the last time either. The NAVY is a much kinder and gentler place now then it used to be.

Sorry for the bad news.
Old 02-12-2018, 5:28 PM

Went through in 2016. Bootcamp at RTC in Great Lakes is mainly focused on making a Sailor. Huge focus on Navy rules, regulations, history, life...basically how to do his basic duties and how to "Navy". There is about 3 days of "firearms" instruction which only touches on the M9 pistol and you get to fire 1 round with the Mossberg 500...from the hip...with an RSO holding the butt. You do get to fire a qualification course for the pistol...but its scored pretty open. The main focus of boot camp is how to Navy...he should focus on that aspect. The Navy isn't Call of Duty or all about the SEALS. We do most our damage from behind a computer screen, not small arms. If his NEC is more ground/combat/security focused like SO/Seabees/MA, then he will do weapons qualification after A/C schools or when he actually reports to his duty station. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2018, 5:52 PM

Thanks pp55ftw. One rd form shotgun? Wow. His MOS is EOD. I know the chances are slim. He knows this. Thank you for you service
Old 02-12-2018, 7:03 PM

Navy calls MOSs NECs (Navy Enlisted Classification) for future reference. Your son is EOD contracted so that will be SO community. Happy to help. Thanks to your son for choosing to serve.
Old 02-12-2018, 7:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

He might want to learn how to use this:

Old 02-12-2018, 7:53 PM

Funny, I told how does he feel about scraping barnacles off the side of the ship!
I told him to give 100% or that is exactly what he will be doing for the next 5 years
Old 02-12-2018, 8:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4E Phantom View Post
Funny, I told how does he feel about scraping barnacles off the side of the ship!
I told him to give 100% or that is exactly what he will be doing for the next 5 years

Well, I did post that rather tongue-in-cheek. Hopefully he gets the post he wants. My composite vendor went into the Navy right out of HS and tested well so they made him an A&P where he was stationed at Miramar. He said that looking back joining was the best and worst thing he ever did.
Old 02-13-2018, 8:04 AM

Slightly off topic but a reminisce:
I went through Navy bootcamp at the now closed San Diego NTC in 1961. We were all issued a rifle that we shouldered every day and everywhere during the next eighty days, a Springfield .30-06 with a full leaded barrel as the Navy figured that all boots during basic training were unpredictable.
We did have one short range day over at Camp Pendleton Marine base where we learned the meaning of the "M1 thumb" and a select few of us were picked (not me) to shoot a BAR.
Old 02-13-2018, 8:18 AM

i hear they have wet t shirt fights in the Navy

-Garand Thumb
Old 02-13-2018, 8:23 AM

Wrong branch for trigger time
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUNS.NET
You have been banned for the following reason: posting other member's personal info without permission. I don't care what your reasoning is that is not allowed.
Old 02-13-2018, 7:17 PM

M9 and shotgun. He'll use other weapons such as the M4 and crew served if his rate or job detail requires it, but that will be at either A-school or once he hits the fleet. Does he have a rate lined up if EOD fails? He should try to get one, otherwise he will be an undesignated seaman most likely. If he likes guns go for MA or GM. Or go for VBSS as an undesignated. Not saying he wont make EOD but backup plans are nice. I did 4 yrs as an MA

Last edited by darthmars; 02-13-2018 at 7:23 PM..
Old 02-15-2018, 1:23 PM

His second/ back-up is Damage Control. I realize he most likely not make it. At least he’ll get some skills for firefighter/ paramedic etc when he gets out, I’m hoping. He just started his training with a SO mentor. Former SEAL. He almost broke my hand when he introduced himself. Some of the other recruits are “beasts” running,pull-ups etc wow
Old 02-16-2018, 5:13 PM

I went to RTC Great Lakes in 1991 and there was no weapons training at all. I spent four years without firing any firearm. It depends on your rate/job field. I had a aircraft maintenance rate (PR). Hopefully, things are different now.

Last edited by MAX123; 02-18-2018 at 4:21 AM..
Old 02-19-2018, 8:45 PM

Great Lakes boot camp 1988 and I remember a 1911 chambered in .22lr with 5 rounds and no long gun.
Old 02-23-2018, 4:15 PM

Any firearms training he will receive at RTC will be limited to weapons safety and usage of simulators such as FATS.

If your son is has a package for an EOD rating, after completing dive school and his EOD specific demolition training, he will receive small arms training as part of the introduction pipeline prior to reporting to his troop.

The weapons used will be M4 and M9, along with training with weapon transition, decision making, and very limited unit tactics. About a week will be spent with each weapon individually, before combining the two, with a large part of the training being on the proper presentation of the weapon from the holster or ready.

The testing/qualifications will be on the Navy standard 200 yard range, along with the low light and shooting from cover ranges. All sights are iron, the usage and training of ACOGs and reflex sights will be done at the unit.

Honestly, the instructors will be very specific in how they want him to handle the weapon, so the best thing I would recommend to focus on would be marksmanship fundamentals e.g. slow steady breathing, shooting at natural respiratory pause, and front sight alignment.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:42 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
His time would be better spent on running, sit-ups, push-ups, learning rank structure and his 11 general orders. Shooting is such a small part (if any) that it's not worth preparing for IMO.
Yikes, in the Army there were only 3 general orders. And I agree, PT, PT, PT, customs & courtesies, and the like.

I would not knock any branch of the service, but I know a prior service Sailor who never shot a firearm at all during their entire enlistment. Does that diminish their service? No.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:05 AM
Calguns Addict

It wouldn't hurt to learn his face movement and marching orders. Always step off with the left foot.
The two types of commands used in PRT are preparatory commands and commands of execution. The preparatory command describes and specifies what is required. All preparatory commands are given with rising voice inflection. The command of execution calls into action what has been prescribed.
For instance, preparatory command is LEFT, command of execution would be, face.
FOWARD, march.
My dad worked with me for a few hours before I went to boot, seemed silly at the time, sure helped me out though.
Old 02-24-2018, 8:25 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Left oblique, March!
To the rear, March!
Change Step March!
Eyes, Right!
Ready, Front!

Long days on the parade deck to come! One of those singular life experiences that sucks while you are there, yet you will reminisce upon it fondly forever after.
Old 02-24-2018, 2:44 PM
Veteran Member

In 1970 San Diego, we had a 1903 that we drilled with and did push ups on, balancing the rifle on its muzzle and the toe of the stock when we screwed up, among other amusing antics. We shot .308 Garands and 1911s. The parade deck was called the Grinder.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:17 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Hunter View Post
In 1970 San Diego, we had a 1903 that we drilled with and did push ups on, balancing the rifle on its muzzle and the toe of the stock when we screwed up, among other amusing antics. We shot .308 Garands and 1911s. The parade deck was called the Grinder.
The M-16 can be used in a familiar form of recruit torture called "Ride The Harley.."

Back against the wall, seated position (but not sitting) with the rifle held out in front of you. If you are really lucky, they might tell you to make motorcycle sounds while you are doing it. It is impossible for other recruits not to laugh, so when they do, they join you!
Old 02-26-2018, 7:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^^there is also round two where you use your thumb and pointing finger of each hand to hold the rifle by the front sight post while pulling the bolt back with the charging handle.

One minute fire guard was my favorite. Shifts reduced to one minute, two dudes on shift at a time, all sleeping must be done in pts and all fire guard must be done in uniform. Lol.

Another fave was when we couldn't take our rucks off for 48 hours and showers were required. Lol. Butt naked dudes wearing soaking ruck sacks trying to keep the bay mopped lol. Madness.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:35 AM

most likely just m9. I was in bootcamp 2011 and currently in the reserve, new guys told me that they still trained with m9, you dont really touch rifle until you stand watch with qual if your son aint gm or ma
Old 03-05-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den60 View Post
He might want to learn how to use this:

it made my day bro
Old 03-05-2018, 11:48 AM

Big congrats to your son for his decision, the experience will help him the rest of is life.....

NRA Life Member 45+ yrs
CRPA Life Member 45+ yrs
Navy Pilot Retired
Old 03-20-2018, 12:21 AM

I'm a recruiter. No rifle qualification in boot camp. They qualify with barreta m9, and 1 shot gun slug as familiarity. Later on he can get rifle Qualed if his base supports the Qual or recognizes a local range Qual results with m4/m16 shooting various stances.