Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Default Dish Network - Cancelling Service Question

I'm going to be cancelling my overpriced Dish Network service before my next monthly service payment is due the 2nd of December. Am out of contract (have been for years) and have two older receivers, a VIP612 and a VIP222K. Will I have to pay OOP to return their equipment or do they send prepaid labels/boxes? What about the two dishes that they installed on the side of my house?
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 11-26-2019, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
I'm going to be cancelling my overpriced Dish Network service before my next monthly service payment is due the 2nd of December. Am out of contract (have been for years) and have two older receivers, a VIP612 and a VIP222K. Will I have to pay OOP to return their equipment or do they send prepaid labels/boxes? What about the two dishes that they installed on the side of my house?
when I dropped Directv a few years ago they paid to the return shipping, just took it down to the UPS shop and they scanned the receivers and gave me a recipe, I would think Dish would be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Call them and ask what they want back, and they will send you a box or tell you to keep them if they are old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 11-26-2019, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

They usually want the receiver head off the dish also. If the dish is roof mounted, tell them to send a tech to get the head, you are not going up a ladder to retrieve it.

They usually send a prepaid box. If a tech comes out to remove the head from the dish, he gives it to you to send back with the receivers.

Neighbor lady just dumped Dish and this is how Dish handled it.

(I have Dish too and I'm not about to ladder the house for that head).

Respectfully
Kyle

Leadership, logistics, communications, and will.

"Doing nothing is doing something"

_________+__________
Old 11-26-2019, 12:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I had to climb up on the roof and dismantle the dish since at that time they wanted to charge a chunk to have a tech do it. Betting they got sued since then and now I hear they will send someone out. Just be careful on getting tracking numbers for everything, they are notorious for saying they didn't receive equipment.
Old 11-26-2019, 2:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
What are you getting instead?

Dish seems like a bargain compared to my Cox cable.
Old 11-26-2019, 2:31 PM

Dish became too expensive for me, as well. I switched to a cheaper plan (fewer channels) and then added a couple of packages onto that. Net result is about $30/mo cheaper. And now we are watching far less TV. Can't stand all of the commercials, anyway.

Last edited by freedom-lover; 11-26-2019 at 2:48 PM..
Old 11-26-2019, 2:41 PM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

Just call them and tell them to lower your bill or you're gone; they'll offer a
6 month discount. it's a haggle game, they will adjust your package (no pun).

Otherwise bring the equipment to a UPS store, dish will foot the bill to ship.

(save your receipt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 11-26-2019, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M76 View Post
Just call them and tell them to lower your bill or you're gone; they'll offer a
6 month discount.
it's a haggle game, they will adjust your package (no pun).

Otherwise bring the equipment to a UPS store, dish will foot the bill to ship.

(save your receipt)
That only works if you get the "right" tech support person, otherwise be prepared to stay or move on.

Respectfully
Kyle

Leadership, logistics, communications, and will.

"Doing nothing is doing something"

_________+__________
Old 11-26-2019, 5:36 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks all!

I've been with Dish for close to 20 years and am fed up with my rate being raised every year. I used to call and threaten to bail and sometimes get a rate reduction but in the last 8-10 years they quit offering anything - instead usually suggesting I could switch to a package with less channels. I'm down to their most basic package and recently made a list of the channels we actually watch vs those we don't and that was the last straw.

I've been researching cutting the cord and streaming but don't have a good Internet connection at only 12-14mbps so was unsure if it would pan out. We have 3 TV's in our place but none are HD/4K and we only ever have two running at the same time so gave it a shot. Rented (Ha Ha) a Roku Ultra 2019 Version from SprawlMart for a few days and had no issues at all streaming from my router to the Roku via a Cat6 patch cable.

Returned it today and will (hopefully) be picking up 3 tomorrow night at 7pm when WalMart's Black Friday deals go live @ .com. Regular price on the Roku Ultra 2019 is $100 - BF price is $48. Will probably subscribe to YouTubeTV for $50/month as it has a better Cloud DVR feature plus more channels than Hulu+.

Walmart Black Friday Ad
https://www.walmart.com/store/2553/w...r_type_name=ad

Roku Deal Discussion Thread
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1571550
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt

Last edited by WartHog; 11-26-2019 at 6:25 PM..
Old 11-26-2019, 5:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks all!

I've been with Dish for close to 20 years and am fed up with my rate being raised every year. I used to call and threaten to bail and sometimes get a rate reduction but in the last 8-10 years they quit offering anything - instead usually suggesting I could switch to a package with less channels. I'm down to their most basic package and recently made a list of the channels we actually watch vs those we don't and that was the last straw.

I've been researching cutting the cord and streaming but don't have a good Internet connection at only 12-14mbps so was unsure if it would pan out. We have 3 TV's in our place but none are HD/4K and we only ever have two running at the same time so gave it a shot. Rented (Ha Ha) a Roku Ultra 2019 Version from SprawlMart for a few days and had no issues at all streaming from my router to the Roku via a Cat6 patch cable.

Returned it today and will (hopefully) be picking up 3 tomorrow night at 7pm when WalMart's Black Friday deals go live @ .com. Regular price on the Roku Ultra 2019 is $100 - BF price is $48. Will probably subscribe to YouTubeTV for $50/month as it has a better Cloud DVR feature plus more channels than Hulu+.
I called Direct and had the exact same issue. Im one of the longest continuing subscribers, at least thats what they tell me.

I called them and said i was out, they transferred me to customer retention. They cut my bill to a number i suggested for a year, and i told them the day my bill goes up, i will make one more call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 11-26-2019, 6:18 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

I got to keep my VIP722k after I upgraded to the Hopper 3. It was nice because I had a lot of recordings on it and also on the external drive attached to it, which were not in a format the Hopper 3 could play. I also got a free Hopper 3 upgrade after they wanted to charge me $100 for the upgrade and I told them I would just cancel service.

But OP, the Hopper 3 is the most amazing Sat box ever and you might find that Dish is worth the price after you upgrade. It is a whole new experience with awesome capabilities and conveniences. My only regret is waiting so long to upgrade. But only get the Hopper 3, do not get a lesser Hopper.

But if you do cancel, they will offer you the moon to get you back.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 11-26-2019 at 6:21 PM..
Old 11-26-2019, 9:20 PM

Had DirecTv for years. Every year I called customer retention and got a reduced rate for another year. Dish probably does the same thing.
Old 12-02-2019, 2:30 PM
Veteran Member

Called them up and cancelled today. They made a feeble attempt at retaining me as a customer but I told them I was already streaming and getting more watchable content for less $. Asked what to do with equipment - they said it was outdated and they didn't want it back.

I had unhooked the antenna cable from the VIP612 DVR before they turned the service off and it still allows me to play all the movies I have recorded so guess I'll keep it. The Roku Ultras I picked up are great - subscribed to Youtube TV and so far am happy with the content. Wish I had done it a lot sooner.
Quote:
Old 12-10-2019, 3:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What's "youtube tv"? Is that any different than plain old website youtube?
Old 12-10-2019, 5:04 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
What's "youtube tv"? Is that any different than plain old website youtube?
IIRC it is a subscription service, premium content. $50/month, 70+ channels, Live TV (ABC/CBS/NBC etc)

Old 12-10-2019, 8:00 PM

DirecTv 7 years or so ago told me to keep everything. They do not uninstall it to limit the liability in case your roof leaks.