Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 05-20-2019, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

Smile NGD: 1968 Winchester 94

Just brought this one home. Got it for $350. The seller said it is a 1968, making it older than any of the 1970's era Winchester 94s that I've ever owned. Those I sold off because the receivers rusted. There is no rust on this one. But, some blueing is worn through to bare metal in spots.

The muzzle crown looks perfect and there is no internal wear. It locks up tight. Does the sling band on the magazine look aftermarket? The butt place looks aftermarket. I think it should have the Winchester logo moulded into it.

Regardless, it's nice to have another WInchester in my stable. They shure shoulder great. I'll take it to the range this friday.

Old 05-20-2019, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

Ohh, that do look nice! Thinking after market swivel studs. What's the butt plate say, if anything? Regardless, super find.

MLC
Old 05-20-2019, 2:10 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Nice score, C&R too. Sling mounts do look aftermarket but they look fine.

Old 05-20-2019, 2:36 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys! The butt plate is just a thin piece of checkered plastic with no logo on it. What should a 68 plate look like?
Old 05-20-2019, 5:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Thanks guys! The butt plate is just a thin piece of checkered plastic with no logo on it. What should a 68 plate look like?
Simple checkered plastic with no discerning embellishments. Unless my dad replaced the plate on his. Any scratches on yours from taking the front sight hood off and putting it back on?
Old 05-21-2019, 5:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Simple checkered plastic with no discerning embellishments. Unless my dad replaced the plate on his. Any scratches on yours from taking the front sight hood off and putting it back on?
Did some more research and it is true that this style of butt plate is original on some 94's.

I don't see scratches that indicate that the sight hood was removed. But the left side of the Winchester does show some general finish wear. I wonder why that is.

Old 05-21-2019, 7:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Did some more research and it is true that this style of butt plate is original on some 94's.
Yup, that's what my dad's looks like.

Quote:
I don't see scratches that indicate that the sight hood was removed. But the left side of the Winchester does show some general finish wear. I wonder why that is.
Back in the day people were taught that the sight hoods were there to protect your rifle while traveling or walking to your hunting spot. They let you see through them so you could shoot with the sight hood on if you wanted to, but in general you would remove them before hunting so more light could better illuminate the front bead. Not everyone learned this and so you end up with a lot of these rifles where the sight hood was never removed. My dad removed his and few times and managed to put a few scratches on the rail. If you decide to remove yours just realize that it's basically a spring clamp with some rounded tabs in the middle, it can take some effort to get it to slide forward.

As for the wear on the the left hand side, I'd guess it spent a lot of time hanging on a wall over the door or something. Taking it down and putting it up would wear one side more than the other. Maybe slid under the bed, who knows.

I need to start looking again but there are some good deals to be had on these guns. From what I've read by about 1967 or 68 they worked out most of the bugs going from machined and hand fit parts to stamped, and didn't cheapen the finish too much yet, so if you can pick on a relatively tight one (they tend to be rattle traps) for a few hundred bucks it's a good deal. Personally, I'd love to pick up a cheap beater in good mechanical condition and have it cut down to a 16 inch barreled .30-30 trapper.

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 05-21-2019 at 7:38 AM..
Old 05-21-2019, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Shouldn't have read this thread twice. Wheels are turning. Time to go looking for something similar.

MLC