Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default PRS guys, are bipods passe'?

It seems like most of the time I see videos, shooters are using bags in front instead. If I can avoid hanging a gangly tangly hunk of metal off the front of my rifle, so much the better.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

bags are great, at a static bench and range. for those who shoot outdoors and move around, its kinda important to have a bipod.
Old 04-27-2019, 3:38 AM

Passe’? LOL I’m not sure where you are seeing more ppl using front bags than bipods but EVERY match I shoot EVERY gun has a bipod except 2 ppl and they are ALWAYS in the bottom of the pack...by the time they get set with a pack ready to shoot they have burnt up precious seconds and in the short timed stages they time out.

you definitely want to try to cut back on gear if you can...i see guys come to matches with so much crap hanging off them that they could probably walk away from a 120mph car accident...but think long and hard on whats important and chose your gear wisely...

#1 how fast can you deploy and be ready to shoot with the gear you plan to use on that stage
#2 practice with the gear you plan to use to the point that you dont even have to think it just happens
#3 chose light weight gear because if you shooting a moving match you have to pack it with you and some match require that what ever you use must remain on you at all times.

lotta guys love the atlas bipods...i do not...show me someone that can deploy/retract an atlas as fast as i can deploy/retract a harris.

personally i run 4 pieces of gear...
area 419 rail changer...still not sure if this will stay in my pak
waxed pint size game changer heavy fill
wibad pump pillow that i dont use much but is better to have on you than wish you had it
and a rear bag which i dont use a lot either but nice to have when the time comes
i also ware a creedmoor sport shooting glove at all times if you want to consider it a piece of gear
almost forgot...a modified harris 6-9 that excepts atlas feet so 6 pieces depending on what you consider gear

learn to manage your time...practice with your gear...worry more about making impacts than getting all shots off...5 slow impacts and timing out is better than 10 fast misses and having 10 seconds left on the clock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84EDF477-C26B-473B-BC17-B0FD60B7B551.jpg (19.9 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by longrange1; 04-27-2019 at 5:00 AM..
Old 04-27-2019, 4:48 AM

^ That’s longRanges Tire Trap....

He designed it, the tires rotate as you try to use them as supports. There is also a bar going thru the middle, this limited just how much you can put under your gun.

While it is a hard obstacle, it one of the fair ones.. some get so weird you’d just not shoot off it in the wild... like a bungee rope..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.
Old 04-27-2019, 7:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1 View Post

you definitely want to try to cut back on gear if you can...i see guys come to matches with so much crap hanging off them that they could probably walk away from a 120mph car accident...but think long and hard on whats important and chose your gear wisely...

#1 how fast can you deploy and be ready to shoot with the gear you plan to use on that stage
#2 practice with the gear you plan to use to the point that you dont even have to think it just happens
#3 chose light weight gear because if you shooting a moving match you have to pack it with you and some match require that what ever you use must remain on you at all times.
learn to manage your time...practice with your gear...worry more about making impacts than getting all shots off...5 slow impacts and timing out is better than 10 fast misses and having 10 seconds left on the clock.
The above is some of the best advice I have ever read on Calguns....if you follow the above, not only will it help you to become a better general rifleman, but also a much better hunter if you go that route. While the above is not all inclusive, it covers a substantial part of good practical shooting ability.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver160651 View Post
^ That’s longRanges Tire Trap....

He designed it, the tires rotate as you try to use them as supports. There is also a bar going thru the middle, this limited just how much you can put under your gun.

While it is a hard obstacle, it one of the fair ones.. some get so weird you’d just not shoot off it in the wild... like a bungee rope..
Since he posted it as an example, you would use the bipod on it because a bag would be too big?
Old 04-27-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Since he posted it as an example, you would use the bipod on it because a bag would be too big?

Sig -

I only tried it once, but I had 2 broken ribs and was hardly moving, timed out in every stage. I also did not shoot every position in the match. So maybe I didn’t makes the best choices -

I went slowly, I did not use a bipod or bag I think I hit the ones I shot at.. but again I ran like a snail on every stage.

I would ask Dave what he uses.. I think he would be using a pint GC on them.

Old 04-27-2019, 2:51 PM

Quote:
even though i built that prop ive only shot off the prop twice...the time diver was here and today.

so yes you(or me personally)would use a bipod but with the legs folded and deployed...with the tires in the flat position you would lay your gun across the tire resting on the bipod legs in front and your butt stock resting on the tire in the rear and use the tire to adjust your elevation.

same thing if you were to put the tire in the up right position and stick your barrel through the tire...front resting on the bipod legs and rear how ever you think would work best for you(pump pillow..left arm crossed under the butt and holding your right arm)...personally id reach up with my left hand and grab the scope...that would keep me on target and adjust elevation with the tire.

this is where props in the back yard and LOTS of dry fire come in...being able to look at a stage and see right away how your going to build a solid position quickly is key...while your standing there wondering what your going to do the clock is running...when your on the scope searching for targets the clock is running.

Last edited by longrange1; 04-27-2019 at 3:22 PM..
Old 04-27-2019, 3:02 PM

Quote:
even though i built that prop ive only shot off the prop twice...the time diver was here and today.

so yes you(or me personally)would use a bipod but with the legs folded and deployed...with the tires in the flat position you would lay your gun across the tire resting on the bipod legs in front and your butt stock resting on the tire in the rear and use the tire to adjust your elevation.

same thing if you were to put the tire in the up right position and stick your barrel through the tire...front resting on the bipod legs and rear how ever you think would work best for you9pump pillow..left arm crossed under the butt and holding your right arm)...personally id reach up with my right hand and grab the scope...that would keep me on target and adjust your elevation with the tire.

this is where props in the back yard and LOTS of dry fire come in...being able to look at a stage and see right away how your going to build a solid position quickly is key...while your standing there wondering what your going to do the clock is running...when your on the scope searching for targets the clock is running.

You’re shooting left handed?

Old 04-27-2019, 3:07 PM

Heres one stage from last Sunday in our center fire match and again today in the NRL22 match.

It’s called “build your own position” 8 rounds 120 seconds
15” round at 550yds 100% IPSC at 650yds

start position gun on the ground mag in bolt back all needed equipment on the shooter...
at start shooter will build a position with the props...
a stool
a crate
a cinder block
2 tries
a 30gal barrel
and a folding chair
the props and shooter CAN NOT touch the pallet and muzzle must be over the top of the pallet
shooter will in-gauge targets from near to far with 4 rounds each gear is limited to sling and one bag the size of a volleyball or smaller and bipod...

WHAT WOULD YOU DO??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4CDAAECC-D448-4836-8186-3970E3EC1FB7.jpg (19.6 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by longrange1; 04-27-2019 at 4:14 PM..
Old 04-27-2019, 3:21 PM

Quote:
You’re shooting left handed?

no my other left lol...i meant my left on scope not right.
Old 04-27-2019, 3:49 PM
King- Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Heres one stage from last Sunday in our center fire match and again today in the NRL22 match.

start position gun on the ground mag in bolt back all needed equipment on the shooter...
a stool
a crate
a cinder block
2 tries
a 30gal barrel
and a folding chair
the props and shooter CAN NOT touch the pallet and muzzle must be over the top of the pallet
shooter will in-gauge targets from near to far with 4 rounds each gear is limited to sling and one bag the size of a volleyball or smaller..

WHAT WOULD YOU DO??
Crate on top of the barrel. Bag on the crate.

I think I can make that work in 2 tries.
Old 04-27-2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:

a stool
a crate
a cinder block
2 tries
a 30gal barrel
and a folding chair
shooter will in-gauge targets from near to far with 4 rounds each gear is limited to sling and one bag the size of a volleyball or smaller..

WHAT WOULD YOU DO??

Looked at this pretty fast and don’t see the stool???

Can’t tell how wobbly the barrel is..

Assuming no bipod on the barrel.. I don’t see talking the time to fuss to much of a two point platform — or anything that is going to leave less than 90 secs to shoot

I’d be tempted to use the barrel, cinder block (heavy to help dampen the barrel) on top for raw speed and toss the heavy gamechanger on top and shoot like anything else.

But again some of the pieces seem missing in the image..

Last edited by diver160651; 04-27-2019 at 7:42 PM..
Old 04-27-2019, 4:09 PM

That’s a pretty good idea!
Old 04-27-2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Look at this pretty fast and don’t see the sroll???

Can’t tell how wobbly the barrel is..

Assuming no bipod on the barrel.. I don’t see talking the time to fuss to much of a two point platform — or anything that is going to leave less than 90 secs to shoot

I’d be tempted to use the barrel, cinder block on top for raw speed and toss the gamechanger on top and shoot like anything else.

But again some of the pieces seem missing in the image...

Crappy cell pic...the stool is on its side in front of(pallet side)the crate and block...and yes you can use a bipod...I forget to mention that because it’s standard equipment and rarely can you NOT use a bipod

Last edited by longrange1; 04-27-2019 at 4:18 PM..
Old 04-27-2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
That’s a pretty good idea!

In Wyoming this weekend (now), shooting Camp Pendleton next one, then our PRS on the 19th

Hope you come !!

Last edited by diver160651; 04-27-2019 at 5:39 PM..
Old 04-27-2019, 8:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
lotta guys love the atlas bipods...i do not...show me someone that can deploy/retract an atlas as fast as i can deploy/retract a harris.
Square range concrete bench shooters love their Atlas.
Guys that shoot under time restraints usually prefer Harris.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post

I have Harris, atlas and a CKYE ~ each have there advantages.

But the main point is the while maybe you can go to Zant and see that X top shooters used Y, it really would be hard to say what you said.. Sure maybe a few more shooters are using the Harris but your statement is melodramatic.

When you go to most matches it is fairly split between Harris and Atlas. Every year, as the bipod is used less and less, the speed of deployment is less of an issue, with flexibility key.

Last edited by diver160651; 04-27-2019 at 10:49 PM..
Old 04-28-2019, 2:53 AM

Quote:
interesting....i did not know guys that were serious used bipods on a bench.

good read and explanation why i prefer harris...
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/...-bipod-tripod/
Old 04-28-2019, 3:32 AM

Quote:
In Wyoming this weekend (now), shooting Camp Pendleton next one, then our PRS on the 19th

Hope you come !!

i will most likely not make it...some of our office will be going to a mandatory insurance meeting that week so its about 99% my week will be the following week.
Old 04-28-2019, 5:09 AM

Quote:

good read and explanation why i prefer harris...

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/...-bipod-tripod/

I knew someone would once again quote “Zant”.

Look his article is of 175 shooters. Of that, 9 more shot a Harris than an Atlas - hardly definitive, especially when you consider just 4-5 years ago most were not using the Atlas. So, something is really changing and not captured by Zant’s article.

The takeaway should be get away from the computer go shoot these. You’ll also notice that the bipods that are favorited are somewhat regional. For instance, in the PNW were you see a lot of high grass and more field style, it appears, at least to me, that a higher % of CKYE’s show up.

Lastly and again, only from my eyes, it seems to me that matches are not won and lost because of the bipod... Especially today with the use of the GameChanger / Tactical Udder type bags.

Old 04-28-2019, 6:10 AM

you are right he does only use a small sample but none the less it gives you an idea of whats being used in both the PRS and NRL.

that said i still believe that the harris is still the best bipod made especially with the up grades that are made for them....tall grass?...harris with PASS adapters and legs...i owned and used an atlas for about 5mins...if you want to be/look tacticool buy one...if you want easy of function harris hands down!

now as far as GEAR WINNING matches...like i said i see guys come to matches with every piece of gear known to man and so camo'd out its hard for the untrained eye to see them....ALL THE GEAR IN THE WORLD DOES NOT MAKE A GOOD SHOOTER PERIOD!!

the guy that can see a stage...build a position with minimal gear...manage time and keep a cool head under pressure is the guy thats going to win matches...the clock is always ticking...fumbling with gear tic tic tic...fumbling with a push button bipod tic tic tic...standing there looking at a stage wondering what to do tic tic tic...seconds count.
Old 04-28-2019, 7:08 AM

Heard Atlas, Harris mentioned...any opinions on the Magpul, including the new QD sling swivel model?

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/04/25...stud-qd-bipod/
Old 04-28-2019, 7:14 AM

Quote:
you are right he does only use a small sample but none the less it gives you an idea of whats being used in both the PRS and NRL.

that said i still believe that the harris is still the best bipod made especially with the up grades that are made for them....tall grass?...harris with PASS adapters and legs...i owned and used an atlas for about 5mins...if you want to be/look tacticool buy one...if you want easy of function harris hands down!

now as far as GEAR WINNING matches...like i said i see guys come to matches with every piece of gear known to man and so camo'd out its hard for the untrained eye to see them....ALL THE GEAR IN THE WORLD DOES NOT MAKE A GOOD SHOOTER PERIOD!!

the guy that can see a stage...build a position with minimal gear...manage time and keep a cool head under pressure is the guy thats going to win matches...the clock is always ticking...fumbling with gear tic tic tic...fumbling with a push button bipod tic tic tic...standing there looking at a stage wondering what to do tic tic tic...seconds count.

I had the PASS carbon fiber leg extensions. But do to lack of time on them and lack of personal skill ~ I can’t create a reasonable wobble zone with the bounce in them. I sold them and look to other simpler solutions.

Old 04-28-2019, 7:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Serious bench shooters use front rests.
Your typical "I read it on the internet" shooters who kit out a rifle for field shooting and then never travel more than from their car to the bench at their local 100yd range who love the Atlas so much.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 04-28-2019, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissiontoMars View Post
Heard Atlas, Harris mentioned...any opinions on the Magpul, including the new QD sling swivel model?

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/04/25...stud-qd-bipod/
For that price I’d stick to the Harris swivel notched leg bipod
Old 04-28-2019, 8:08 AM

Quote:
I had the PASS carbon fiber leg extensions. But do to lack of time on them and lack of personal skill ~ I can’t create a reasonable wobble zone with the bounce in them. I sold them and look to other simpler solutions.

And this would be one of the situations where some of the hard core fundamentals would not work and where some of free recoil ideas would.
Old 04-28-2019, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Serious bench shooters use front rests.
Your typical "I read it on the internet" shooters who kit out a rifle for field shooting and then never travel more than from their car to the bench at their local 100yd range who love the Atlas so much.
LMAO I gotcha now!!
Old 04-28-2019, 8:14 AM

And FYI for everyone reading this I am no stage cleaning match dominating super shooter...as a matter of fact I got my ***** handed to me most of last year but I can hold my own.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The takeaway should be get away from the computer go shoot these.
The problem with that is the expense. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on an Atlas and then find out I don't need/want it. Since I know of nobody within 200 miles that shoots this sort of stuff it's easier to ask on teh intarwebs.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The problem with that is the expense. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on an Atlas and then find out I don't need/want it. Since I know of nobody within 200 miles that shoots this sort of stuff it's easier to ask on teh intarwebs.
If you don't already know why you need an Atlas, then you don't.

More matches are won by shooters using Harris.
That's primarily because those shooters have been shooting longer than Atlas has been making bipods and those shooters simply don't have enough of a problem with a Harris to justify buying an Atlas.

It's a "If it ain't broke, why fix it" deal.

Get a Harris S-BRM and go shoot.
If you find yourself doing much across canyon shooting where you need longer legs, also get an S-LM or get some of the extension legs that can be snapped on to your S-BRM.
Many people buy an Atlas because it seems better on paper, but it's no advantage if it takes you longer to setup and is not as solid to shoot off of because it has all the extra movement.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:

That's primarily because those shooters have been shooting longer than Atlas has been making bipods and those shooters simply don't have enough of a problem with a Harris to justify buying an Atlas.

If you find yourself doing much across canyon shooting where you need longer legs, also get an S-LM or get some of the extension legs that can be snapped on to your S-BRM.
Many people buy an Atlas because it seems better on paper, but it's no advantage if it takes you longer to setup and is not as solid to shoot off of because it has all the extra movement.
THIS RIGHT HERE^^^!!
Old 04-28-2019, 3:32 PM

Quote:

Personally, think this is a way more accurate post than your first one

Old 04-28-2019, 3:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Well I'm certainly glad to hear that. In large part because I'm... cheap.
Old 04-28-2019, 4:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Here is a picture of Kurt Stone who just won the URSA 3K match in the Mojave desert.
Looks like a Harris bipod off of a portable bench?
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

Last edited by LynnJr; 07-03-2019 at 9:11 PM..
Old 04-28-2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Well I'm certainly glad to hear that. In large part because I'm... cheap.

Lol except by the time you add the Arca rail adapter, Pod lock and PASS — it isn’t cheap -

Old 04-28-2019, 9:13 PM

Local range uses Styrofoam sprayed with some black sealant..
Old 04-28-2019, 10:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Lol except by the time you add the Arca rail adapter, Pod lock and PASS — it isn’t cheap -

I don't even know what two of those things are.
Old 04-29-2019, 5:02 AM
Calguns Addict

The arca rail is just a different way to mount the bipod on the gun the pod is a replacement for the knurled nut that comes with the Harris and the pass allows you to extend the legs or add different feet so another adapter.
If you need all three you bought the wrong bipod in the first place.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 04-29-2019, 8:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I don't even know what two of those things are.
Then you don't need them.