Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I still have my 1 bonafide hunting rifle in my safe. I have other rifles I can hunt with, but I consider this 1 a bonafide hunting rifle because it has a light contour barrel, Mauser controlled feed type, light stock. Back in 1988 I paid $215 for the Interarms Mark-X barreled action chambered in 270 Winchester and $130 for the B&C stock. It would be considered cheap by most, but I had my reasons to scrimp with my firearm spending. This rifle is accurate enough for me as I can confidently take a deer out to 500 yards if it presents me a picture perfect pose. I had a cheaper hunting lever action that I bought for less than $200 chambered in 30-30. It will take any deer size game within 200 yards. It doesn’t matter how much your rifle cost, you just need to shoot it and practice. Build a dope card out to your max range with this cheap rifle.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 04-08-2019, 11:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Millions of American Indians killed millions of animals with a bent wooden stick, animal gut string and a stick with a rock arrow and some feathers. Did that for thousands of years.
It isn't just the weapon, it is the person behind the weapon.
Old 04-09-2019, 6:21 AM

Boy this has been one of the better threads and all the posts hold merit. Shows how much opinion and personal choice plays into something like this question. I Think in many ways there is no answer just what's right for you.

I have had great success waiting for real bargain sales just to get the barreled action, didn't concern myself with fit or stock quality as the stock is replaced by a custom cut Boyds anyway, Still less expensive than full retail of a high end model and the LOP and free float barrel is already done.
Old 04-10-2019, 8:45 AM

The Gamut.

- Hunted for decades w/ the same $325 M700 I got from Turner's on sale.
- Got my boys Mossberg Patriot Synthetic - Vortex Scoped Combos for $400/pop.
- Just upgraded to a FN M70 Extreme Weather SS.

All - .270, shoot extremely well, and Keep the freezer full.

"It's the hits that count..."

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 04-10-2019, 2:07 PM
Banned

Location: Sage (eastern edge of Temecula Wine Country), Southwest Riverside County

Did someone say cheap hunting rifle?

How about a sporterized WW1 U.S. Model 1917 Remington (Eddystone) .30-06 rifle for $320 for Private Party Transfer at local FFL, $320 + shipping, or $300 CASH AND CARRY (per Cal law) if someone wants to come out to my place to pick it up, and save me the time and expense of a drive into town to PPT or ship it?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1519924
Old 04-10-2019, 5:17 PM

'Plenty of affordable hunting rifles from most manufacturers these days shooting whatever MOA as well as the finger pulling the trigger. Or as well as the finger attached to the 'one breath away from a heart attack hunter can manage after pounding tequila all night and sucking down half a dozen cigs while hiking to the right spot'.

The tool is only as good as the tradesman.

Then there's a lot to be said for the 'older the better'...like 1894 Marlins, Winchester 52's, revolvers without transfer bars and '63 Studebaker wagons.

"Chrome: Ask your grandfather about it"

NRA life member

"If God didn't intend for man to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat? Seriously, have you taken a good look at a fish lately?"
Old 04-10-2019, 10:00 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W. View Post
Did someone say cheap hunting rifle?

How about a sporterized WW1 U.S. Model 1917 Remington (Eddystone) .30-06 rifle for $320 for Private Party Transfer at local FFL, $320 + shipping, or $300 CASH AND CARRY (per Cal law) if someone wants to come out to my place to pick it up, and save me the time and expense of a drive into town to PPT or ship it?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1519924
If only I was not at the other end of the state, and with the recent increase of California fuel prices - I would spend more on gas R/T than the price of the 1917 to add to my collection of .30-06 weapons!

Plus this video reminds me of the exorbitant costs that the OP listed for big game hunting, besides his having to own an expensive hunting rifle...

Old 04-11-2019, 4:59 AM

To bad the scant stock is cut down.
Old 04-11-2019, 6:00 AM
In Memoriam

30-06 built on an old Venezuelan Mauser action with a Tasco world class scope is all I’ve ever needed.

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60
Old 04-11-2019, 8:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Those TC Compass when the rebates are kicking in are pretty amazing $200 or under rifles with a nice threaded 5R rifled barrel and MOA guarantee, but I know of four personally (all different calibers) that shoot a half or under... a couple at closer to a quarter ( .26, .27) with good ammo, but without any or hardly any ammo tweaking. The bolt isn't a joy to work like a couple of minty Mausers I have, but neither are any Mosins. New bolt handle helps, but not needed.
Old 04-12-2019, 5:48 PM

OP. I’m picking up what you’re putting down.
While I do have $299 tc venture that shoots the same or better than my 600$ tikka. Or 1000$ sauer.
I prefer to carry the tikka any day of the week.
I don’t need top shelf glass but I don’t like cheap glass either.
Lots of guys would be so much better off if they spent the extra 100 or 200 and just go little better. I also don’t need $200 camo shirt or pants but doesn’t mean I buy cheap Walmart garbage either.
To each his own

Last edited by FishnHunt; 04-14-2019 at 7:55 AM..
Old 04-14-2019, 2:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
Someone tell me why I'm wrong. Because I'd love to save some money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishnHunt View Post
Lots of guys would be so much better off if they spent the extra 100 or 200 and just go little better. I also don’t need $200 camo shirt or pants but doesn’t mean I buy cheap Walmart garbage either.
To each his own
Glad you guys are rich.

When I bought my first rifle, it was buy a cheap hunting rifle, or don't shoot. I made the right decision.

If most of us waited until we could afford fancy rifles to get even get started, 2A would be all but dead. Or we'd be shooting "dad's rifle" until we were in our 40's.

I still have that rifle.

How do you think your suggestions are being taken by those who cannot afford fancy rifles?
Old 04-14-2019, 4:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
Glad you guys are rich.

When I bought my first rifle, it was buy a cheap hunting rifle, or don't shoot. I made the right decision.

If most of us waited until we could afford fancy rifles to get even get started, 2A would be all but dead. Or we'd be shooting "dad's rifle" until we were in our 40's.

I still have that rifle.

How do you think your suggestions are being taken by those who cannot afford fancy rifles?

Let’s define fancy or cheap.

I think rifles cheaper than a Tikka T3 or Rem 700s are what I define as cheap. Now granted, I personally use upgraded versions of those rifles, but I’m also not using a $5,000 Gunwerks either. I also took a year to put together my last rifle. Because I knew saving to get spend more would be worth it in the long run, for me.

Also part of my original point was, guys say they can only afford this or that, yet in today’s society, we have more disposable income than ever. How many guys guy the cheapest rifle they can saying that’s all they can afford, yet have $100/month cell phone bills, eat out all the time, have car payments, etc. To the members talking about the sporterized WW2 rifles, when those rifles were bought in the 60’S and 70’s, the cost of those vs the average income was much higher. $50 in 1969 was steep compared to $200 in 2019.

I don’t think anyone here is wrong, I’m just having the conversation.
Old 04-14-2019, 6:13 AM

I am not that knowledgeable on bolts but is this a decent "cheap" set up?
Howa Hogue GameKing Package combo $450

https://www.turners.com/howa/howa-ho...barrel-wi-5079

I would ditch the scope soon after for something better later.

Oh yeah....then the earth splits open with me on one side and the (off roster gun) on the other. Then appeared a large red-glowing pit with gavin newscum, diane frankenstein and governor "brown the drain" at the bottom of it, waving their pitchforks at me.
(Non caps intended)
Old 04-14-2019, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
Glad you guys are rich.

I still have that rifle.

IF you think me suggesting to save and spend the extra 100 or 200 dollars more for quality gun or better glass is considered rich and you can't swing that kind of money until you're 40. Then I think we have bigger problems.
I NEVER said to go buy a $5000 Blaser with swarovksi glass and Kuiu or sitka clothing. SMH.

BTW, I bought .... more like jumped on one of my tikkas T3, in synthetic, blued version on clearance sale for $399 when they were expecting the new T3x. you consider that rich?

Last edited by FishnHunt; 04-14-2019 at 7:57 AM..
Old 04-14-2019, 10:50 AM

^^^I looked at a Tika blue yesterday at Sportsman's Warehouse and if I remember right it was under 620. They are good enough rifles for the money. I was looking at several different at the lower end including the Sauer 100, T/C Compass and another Remington ADL. Because all of the BS caused by oak18 I'm leaning way more to the Remington. I'm also undecided on the caliber and I'm leaning toward the .270 Winchester, I have some history with that caliber and it wasn't good. Maybe the 3rd time around.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
^^^I looked at a Tika blue yesterday at Sportsman's Warehouse and if I remember right it was under 620. They are good enough rifles for the money. I was looking at several different at the lower end including the Sauer 100, T/C Compass and another Remington ADL. Because all of the BS caused by oak18 I'm leaning way more to the Remington. I'm also undecided on the caliber and I'm leaning toward the .270 Winchester, I have some history with that caliber and it wasn't good. Maybe the 3rd time around.
Elk Hunter, I’m a big fan of .270 Winchester. So you may want to consider going a different route in terms of caliber. I’d suggest the Remington ADL in .308.
Old 04-14-2019, 1:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumas View Post
Boy this has been one of the better threads and all the posts hold merit. Shows how much opinion and personal choice plays into something like this question. I Think in many ways there is no answer just what's right for you.

I have had great success waiting for real bargain sales just to get the barreled action, didn't concern myself with fit or stock quality as the stock is replaced by a custom cut Boyds anyway, Still less expensive than full retail of a high end model and the LOP and free float barrel is already done.
that's my plan, looking for a good deal on a Tikka T3 lite .270 win, get the benefits of a $2k rifle for $1.2k
Old 04-14-2019, 1:14 PM
Veteran Member

I can see where the accuracy difference of an upgraded rifle would be useful in the over 300 yard range. But.....shooting at that distance is a whole different thread. That being said, if you thinks it's very likely you will be shooting at 375 yards, make sure you have a very accurate and reliable rifle scope set up.Can those $399 specials do that and humanely harvest game? I have had a variety of rifles and I certainly enjoyed my hunts and shooting with the more accurate rifles and better scopes. Another reason to chose the more expensive rifles and scopes. Speaking for myself, when the arthritis sets in and limits mobility and the vision gets worse, you really appreciate that 6.25lb tack driver instead of the 9lb rifle with the can't see it at dusk scope. the more expensive rifle, scope and ammo makes a huuuuge difference. So what is the difference, $500 for off the shelf bargain deer whacker combo vs what I hope to build, a Tikka T3 light barreled action with a custom graphite stock and a Leupold fixed 6x $1,200 to $1,400 for a 6.25lb tack driver, so net difference maybe, maybe $900.
Old 04-14-2019, 1:23 PM

What is so bad about Tika stocks that you don't want to use them?
Old 04-14-2019, 3:23 PM

3 tikka stocks and one youth model tikka stock at home. Never felt the need to upgrade.
Thought about maybe filling one with great stuff foam for windows ( not so harsh expansion). But really not necessary.
Old 04-14-2019, 3:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
What is so bad about Tika stocks that you don't want to use them?
I may be wrong, but I want to aluminum pillar and epoxy bed the factory barreled action. I don't think that can be done with the plastic T3 stock. If it can be done then fine I'll just use the plastic stock.
Old 04-14-2019, 3:58 PM

Maybe I've just not looked enough to see what can be done with the Tika action but from what I have seen looking in them is pretty limited compared to others. How ever it comes out I do hope it works out the way you want it to.
Old 04-14-2019, 9:28 PM
Veteran Member

Options for Tikkas have come a long way in the last couple of years. A Grayboe drop in fit stock would be a solid upgrade.

https://grayboe.com/shop/terrain/
Old 04-18-2019, 9:21 PM

I don't think Tikkas should be considered in this thread, as they are not "cheap" rifles. They are middle of the road for their price point. The so called cheap rifles, under $400, are capable of shooting sub moa anyway, so you're only talking about money here. Put a reliable scope on a T/C Compass and I'd put it up against any other hunting rifle for accuracy/dependability any day. Rifles have come a long long way. If I needed another rifle, I wouldn't think twice.
Old 04-19-2019, 7:32 AM

This is America, use the tools that make you feel good. It’s not that serious.
Old 04-19-2019, 7:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a S&W (rebadged Howa 1500) 30.06 that my dad bought me for my first deer rifle in 1978, he bought it used for like $150.00 and slapped a Redfield scope on it. Only deer rifle I've ever had and ever needed. For back up I have my dads Savage 99 in .308 that HIS dad bought used for him back in the early 50's.
Old 04-19-2019, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

The point is to take the animal cleanly. To that end, you should spare no expense.

- Giacomo Leopardi
Old 04-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklon View Post
The point is to take the animal cleanly. To that end, you should spare no expense.
If you can take the animal cleanly with a 300 dollar rifle, then why pay more?

I agree that you shouldn't buy something that is poor quality but the fact remains that there are plenty of good quality hunting rifles on the market well under 500 dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.
Old 04-19-2019, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklon View Post
If that's the wisdom/principal that is being put forward, then I really do see the law of diminishing returns coming into play if we're talking normal hunting distances of 400 yards or closer.

If, to hunt medium or large game, you bought a rifle from:

Remington
Savage
Tikka
Thompson center
Weatherby
Howa
Mossberg
Marlin
Henry
Winchester

and are using premium bullets, appropriate for the animal, in these calibers:

.30-30
6mm's
7mm's
.30-06
.338 mags
.300 mags
.45-70

Then I think you have not spared any expense, and are taking the act of harvesting an animal seriously.

just my .02 cents
Old 04-19-2019, 2:13 PM

In today’s age, you can buy a $300 rifle and put a $100 scope on it and shoot sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards. The rest is up to the shooter. Take a Savage Axis for instance. You can occasionally find those under $300 and they’re plenty accurate. Is the stock nice? No. Is the action buttery smooth? No. But as long as the shooter does their job, they will ethically take game up to a few hundred yards.

You don’t need a re-worked Remington 700 action, ceracoted, with some fancy glass bedded and free floated stock and chassis chambered in .300 win mag to take game. If that’s what you want to do, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with getting the best tool for the job and being as happy as can be with your rifle. That doesn’t mean everyone has to, though.
Old 04-19-2019, 3:23 PM

At a pistol match I attend there is a guy with top of the line gear. Expensive boots, >$1.5k gun, top of the line accessories.. This guy can't shoot worth crap.

Dont be that guy.

Plenty of other shooters use sub $400 XD's and shoot them well and reliably.

How about you don't judge others by the dollar value of their equipment and instead focus on their training, skillset, and dedication.
Old 04-20-2019, 8:53 AM

I don't know if the OP is judging anyone.
what 'I' think he is saying, is how people mis manage their money. little better money management and saving and you could have much better equipment.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishnHunt View Post
I don't know if the OP is judging anyone.
what 'I' think he is saying, is how people mis manage their money. little better money management and saving and you could have much better equipment.

Yes that is my point. Thank you.
Old 04-20-2019, 5:59 PM

I think the assumption is spending more on your rifle will provide higher chance for success.

How bad is a $300 rifle? Is a $400 that much better? What is the minimum you think is acceptable?

With modern manufacturing I personally don't see the issue with $300 rifles. More importantly, if you've used that extra money to put more time behind your platform and maybe even taken some actual training, I think that is money better well spent.
Old 04-20-2019, 6:08 PM

In my case, for example, I am buying my first bolt action. Cost for the rifle after sale will be ~$575 before tax. My optic retals at $350 but I won it on auction for $250.

Had I been able to find a rifle that met my goals for $300 I would have certainly purchased that!

This is because I'm planning on taking a three day precision rifle course which costs $600.

I believe spending that $600 on personal training will increase my chance of success significantly more than if I put that money into the platform.

Last edited by Tehjosheh; 04-20-2019 at 6:15 PM..
Old 04-21-2019, 1:46 AM

I am thankful for inexpensive equipment and top quality equipment as they both have a purpose. I think we can all agree if money was no object everyone would buy the best. It took me years to get a cericoated, fluted, stainless barreled rifle that will better withstand bad weather. A lot of times it takes years of using poor equipment to learn the value of quality equipment. Then a lot of study, looking and trying it out to find real good equipment.

The quality in Rifles and scopes on the low end is amazing for the price.
Weatherby Vanguard 2 sub MOA is hard to beat.
Vortex glass and unconditional warranty is amazing.

Nothing beats #1 German glass and top of the line Rifles. It is diminishing returns for a lot more money at some point.

I’m thankful for both.

I’ve never regretted buying top of the line. I have regretted trying to save some money on lower quality and had to spend double later.
Old 04-21-2019, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehjosheh View Post
I think the assumption is spending more on your rifle will provide higher chance for success.

How bad is a $300 rifle? Is a $400 that much better? What is the minimum you think is acceptable?

With modern manufacturing I personally don't see the issue with $300 rifles. More importantly, if you've used that extra money to put more time behind your platform and maybe even taken some actual training, I think that is money better well spent.
On optics- medium quality has cost me the price of not harvesting. I tried to save money and got Vortex’s top binoculars instead of Swarovski. Swarovski was only a little better for twice the price. So I went Vortex. In the field if you can’t make out a fork on one side you don’t shoot. Took me two years to get the Swarovski EL 12x50. Low light once in a lifetime animal in a poor scope= no harvest.

Save on the rifle.
Get the best optics you can afford!
Old 04-21-2019, 6:56 AM

Earlier I did say my $300 TC shoots as good or better than my tikka but the tikka is lighter, action is smoother, and handles better, just all around better package .... to me it is well worth the little extra money !
I’ve drank the vortex coolaid and I’m not impressed as others. While good scopes and binocs. I just don’t get the hype.
Old 04-21-2019, 7:07 AM

I know some guy's that swear by Vortex but I also know dealers that have seen the broken vortex stuff and refuse to even sell them. It's always amazing to me to see someone come into a store and ask the owner to look at his broken vortex scope and then ask him to send it in for him, they are always taken aback by the no answer. I will never buy a vortex, Nikon and Leupold are what I will continue to use. But hey if someone likes vortex then by all means full speed ahead and enjoy.