Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 05-18-2019, 3:03 PM

Default muzzle brake -- shim vs. crush washer

Is there any benefit to using shims vs. crush washers to time a muzzle brake? I have a brake I need to install on my Remington 700 PCR. The brake was supplied with a crush washer. I suppose the first step should be to thread the brake on and see how it is timed without.

Do you ordinarily use a bit of thread locker on brakes? Like the blue Loctite?
Old 05-18-2019, 3:10 PM
Veteran Member

Shims can be re-used.
Old 05-18-2019, 3:13 PM
Calguns Addict

No thread locker required with crush washers. Probably not with shims either unless you are running a suppressor.
Old 05-18-2019, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Take it to a qualified gunsmith and have it timed properly. No shim/crush washer needed if done right. Also, no thread locker needed, as it will need to be removed for cleaning periodically.
Old 05-18-2019, 3:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagearms View Post
Take it to a qualified gunsmith and have it timed properly. No shim/crush washer needed if done right. Also, no thread locker needed, as it will need to be removed for cleaning periodically.
Or, just get one of the self-timing brakes like the heathen or little bastard.
Old 05-18-2019, 8:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Shims also do not leave gap area, which crush washers do when not fully crushed.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old 05-18-2019, 9:26 PM

Shims make for a much cleaner installation.
Old 05-21-2019, 5:16 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicky View Post
another option is the Spartan Precision Kopis brake.

https://spartanrifles.com/collection...18286180335734
Old 05-21-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagearms View Post
Take it to a qualified gunsmith and have it timed properly. No shim/crush washer needed if done right.
I don't understand the assertion that no shim or washer is needed. How is a "qualified gunsmith" going to get the brake correctly timed without use of shims or washer? Are they trained to just miracle the brake securely in the correct position?
The fact is, unless the threads on muzzle and brake just happen to have been cut perfectly--in relation to one another, and by different manufacturers--such that the brake threads right on and stops at just the right point of its rotation on the threads (which seems unlikely), then is it not inevitable that it will be necessary to time the brake, either with shims, a crush washer, or a lock nut? I guess the other alternative would be to mill some material off of the brake or barrel until the brake is correctly timed. That would be a complicated task, and would mar the finish. But that is why the world uses shims and crush washers, right? Which is what a gunsmith would do...

Last edited by hotrail; 05-21-2019 at 10:53 PM..
Old 05-21-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrail View Post
I don't understand the assertion that no shim or washer is needed. How is a "qualified gunsmith" going to get the brake correctly timed without use of shims or washer? Are they trained to just miracle the brake securely in the correct position?
The fact is, unless the threads on muzzle and brake just happen to have been cut perfectly--in relation to one another, and by different manufacturers--such that the brake threads right on and stops at just the right point of its rotation on the threads (which seems unlikely), then is it not inevitable that it will be necessary to time the brake, either with shims, a crush washer, or a lock nut? I guess the other alternative would be to mill some material off of the brake or barrel until the brake is correctly timed. That would be a complicated task, and would mar the finish. But that is why the world uses shims and crush washers, right?
if you're paying a gunsmith to time a brake, they should be turning the barrel shoulder on lathe

very common, not a complicated task at all.
way easier than cutting/reaming a chamber
Old 05-21-2019, 10:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRyiMMX-k2g

Last edited by mmlook; 05-21-2019 at 10:59 PM..
Old 05-22-2019, 6:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I guess the other alternative would be to mill some material off of the brake or barrel until the brake is correctly timed. That would be a complicated task, and would mar the finish. But that is why the world uses shims and crush washers, right? Which is what a gunsmith would do...
No, won't mar the finish done right. Sinister Arms did my seamless AR15 and AR15barrels did one of my bolt actions. If anything, you'd only be recoating the muzzle break. No biggie.

You should be able to mount a muzzle break with crush, or shim without any help.
Old 05-22-2019, 7:20 AM
Calguns Addict

There are several brakes available now that do not need washers or shims to properly time. Spartan, Area 419, American Precision Arms. Take your pick. All good products.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 05-22-2019, 12:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The fact is, unless the threads on muzzle and brake just happen to have been cut perfectly--in relation to one another, and by different manufacturers--such that the brake threads right on and stops at just the right point of its rotation on the threads (which seems unlikely), then is it not inevitable that it will be necessary to time the brake, either with shims, a crush washer, or a lock nut? I guess the other alternative would be to mill some material off of the brake or barrel until the brake is correctly timed. That would be a complicated task, and would mar the finish. But that is why the world uses shims and crush washers, right? Which is what a gunsmith would do...
Man, it sure sounds like you know what you're talking about, WE should be asking YOU the questions! You should spread your knowledge far and wide, I'd hate for some poor gunsmith to attempt to time a brake sans shims or a crush washer without your knowledge.
Old 05-22-2019, 1:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Is there any benefit to using shims vs. crush washers to time a muzzle brake? I have a brake I need to install on my Remington 700 PCR. The brake was supplied with a crush washer. I suppose the first step should be to thread the brake on and see how it is timed without.

Do you ordinarily use a bit of thread locker on brakes? Like the blue Loctite?
Machining is best.
Shims are next.
Crush washer is worst.

The reason is that crush washers don't necessarily crush evenly.
Shims will at least be flat when tight since they do not collapse.

Most suppressor mounts come with strich warnings against use of a crush washer and usually include shims.
This is because the mount must remain straight/square to the bore so that bullets do not impact the muzzle device.

I recommend muzzle brakes and barrels be machined to time correctly without any shims or crush washers and I provide that service.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 05-22-2019, 1:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
Shims can be re-used.
So can crush washers as long as they have enough travel remaining in them.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 05-22-2019, 1:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicky View Post
Take note that no self-timing brakes are used as suppressor mounts.
I have threaded a LOT of barrels and then installed "self timing" brakes on them while the barrel is still setup in the lathe with less than 0.0002" bore runout and I have found that self timing brakes generally do not have an exit hole centered on the bore.

Here is a machine timed surefire brake:

Old 05-22-2019, 1:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
A qualified machinist can cut the shoulder or the back of the brake back to time the muzzle device perfectly WITHOUT shims or washers of any sort.

Old 05-22-2019, 1:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Man, it sure sounds like you know what you're talking about, WE should be asking YOU the questions!
You should spread your knowledge far and wide,
I'd hate for some poor gunsmith to attempt to time a brake sans shims or a crush washer without your knowledge.
Right?
I have done it over 1000 times and just now found out it can't be done.

Old 05-22-2019, 2:19 PM
Veteran Member

Randall...how many times do we have to tell you to please stop doing the impossible