Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:36 AM

Default How effective is your Browning BOSS System ?

Browning says this system allows your rifle to be tuned to various loads to optimize precision shooting. Have these claims been proven in your experience? Or are they hype? Do you know if there are any similar devices not produced by Browning?
Old 05-04-2019, 7:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Its great at making everyone at the range hate you!

The noise level from that thing is just stupid.

My friends regular A-bolt was equally accurate as mine with boss. We'd regularly cover all three holes with a quarter. We both used the same federal hunting ammo.

I sold the rifle, and honestly feel like it was just a gimmick.
Old 05-04-2019, 7:51 AM

The BOSS's work absolutely great. Its performance will only be as good as your rounds, but it let's you tune your rifle to a particular load rather than forcing you to work up loads to each rifle. I have 2 .300 WMs with BOSS's. The benefit of the BOSS is that I can use a single lot of ammo with both rifles. To make the most of it, I suggest you figure out the brand/load of ammo you intend to use, then buy a case of it. While there are other factors at play than the BOSS, I can get 3/4 MOA out of both rifles. The BOSS allowed me to dial than in from 1 3/4 MOA.

My one gripe is they only provide "sweet spots" for a couple bullet weights in each caliber.
Old 05-04-2019, 8:01 AM
Calguns Addict

I wouldn't consider one again.

Even cheap rifles today are accurate. No need for that level of noise!
Old 05-04-2019, 9:24 AM

That brings up another point. The BOSS performs two functions: acts as a break and tunes barrel harmonics. The felt recoil on my 300 WMs is reduced substantially (dare I say to .223 levels) with the break. It is incredibly effective on large calibers for recoil reduction. The down side is muzzle noise directed to the sides and back at the shooter. Not a huge issue when you are at the range and wearing hearing protection, but definitely an issue when pulling off a quick shot in a hunting situation without hearing protection. For this reason, you can get BOSS attachments with or without the break feature. You can interchange them to keep the harmonics benefits, but are not required to always use the break option.
Old 05-04-2019, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
Its great at making everyone at the range hate you!

The noise level from that thing is just stupid.

My friends regular A-bolt was equally accurate as mine with boss. We'd regularly cover all three holes with a quarter. We both used the same federal hunting ammo.
So I assumed you were using the muzzle Break version of the boss system. Do you think this would be true of the holeless version of the device?
Old 05-04-2019, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_shootist View Post
The down side is muzzle noise directed to the sides and back at the shooter. Not a huge issue when you are at the range and wearing hearing protection,
Not a huge issue for the shooter at teh range perhaps, but it's a big issue for those on either side. The noise is bad. The redirected muzzle blast is unpleasant, and that's being polite.
Old 05-04-2019, 3:37 PM
Calguns Addict

State-of-the-Art 1996.
What has the Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System been doing for you lately?
Old 05-04-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post
State-of-the-Art 1996.
What has the Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System been doing for you lately?
Meh, the latest and greatest is usually overrated. The boss system either works well, or works well enough, or it doesn't work. That's what I'm hoping to determine here. When it was invented is not at all germaine or important. The implementation of rifled barrels has changed very little over the last hundred and fifty years for instance.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEllis View Post
Not a huge issue for the shooter at teh range perhaps, but it's a big issue for those on either side. The noise is bad. The redirected muzzle blast is unpleasant, and that's being polite.
Again, I'm wondering if you have any experience with the standard version as opposed to the muzzle brake version ...
Old 05-05-2019, 12:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by isntzen View Post
Meh, the latest and greatest is usually overrated.... .
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

Always give the Customer the opportunity to spend more.
Old 05-06-2019, 8:19 AM
Calguns Addict

If you want to shoot world class groups with a somewhat skinny barrel(0.930 at the muzzle) you need 6-11 ounces on the muzzle to control it consistently.
For the larger barrels 1.450 you need 48-52 ounces.
I have not used the Boss in many many years but tuners work well enough that the smallest group ever fired was done with a tuner.
They can't cure a bad barrel or correct for bad bedding or fix bad ammo but they do get you all the accuracy your combination is capable of.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

Last edited by LynnJr; 07-03-2019 at 9:11 PM..
Old 05-06-2019, 6:33 PM
Calguns Addict

That is News to me.
The BOSS must have served some kind of purpose and apparently the Benchrest shooters found a use for one. Thanks LynnJr
Old 05-06-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post

If you want to shoot world class groups with a somewhat skinny barrel(0.930 at the muzzle) you need 6-11 ounces on the muzzle to control it consistently.
For the larger barrels 1.450 you need 48-52 ounces.
I have not used the Boss in many many years but tuners work well enough that the smallest group ever fired was done with a tuner.
They can't cure a bad barrel or correct for bad bedding or fix bad ammo but they do get you all the accuracy your combination is capable of.
Wow.
Yes sir, my sincere thanks for this highly useful information.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:25 AM

My experience with a barrel harmonics dampener is that it did work for one particular load really well. But change one variable powder or bullet weight and it's another ballgame. Browning did it for hunters that generally shot 1 particular round while hunting.
Old 05-07-2019, 6:40 PM
Calguns Addict

That is correct. You set it for one particular load and once set you never adjust it.
If you change powder or bullet weight you need to re-adjust the tuner.

If you think about what we are trying to do we want the muzzle climbing when the bullet exits and we want the area around that point to be as flat as possible.
Any time you add weight to your muzzle it broadens the curve which means you are now compensating for a wider tuning window.
The Rimfire guys can compensate for around 60 fps of extreme spread so they are getting all the accuracy there ammunition can produce.
The picture is if the 4 rifles beside my television. Two 6 Dashers a 6mm-06 and a 52D Winchester sporting 2 Stiller tuners and 2 Hoehn/Harrell's tuners.
www.unlimitedrange.org

Last edited by LynnJr; 07-03-2019 at 9:11 PM..
Old 05-07-2019, 10:16 PM

That is some heavy metal phorn right there my friend. Awesome.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:16 AM
Calguns Addict

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ve-shot-group/

Link to the group
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 05-09-2019, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
O ... M ... G. That is truly amazing.

I have "a few" rifles that I use for HD, plinking and range outings etc, but nothing that is suitable for venturing beyond 700 yards. I recently bought a 7mm RM autoloader and was looking for ways to optimize its accuracy with off-the-shelf ammo. Your posts have redirected my attention-now I am eager to add a rifle that can adeptly reach out beyond a thousand yards.
I wonder if you would be so kind as to make a recommendation? Factory build or modded, less than 9 lbs so it can be fielded, maybe chambered 7 RM as to pair with my autoloader, and preferably under 1500 prior to adding an optic.
What would you suggest that I buy?
Old 05-09-2019, 5:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Again, I'm wondering if you have any experience with the standard version as opposed to the muzzle brake version ...
Mine was an editorial comment about muzzle brakes.
Old 05-10-2019, 5:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
O ... M ... G. That is truly amazing.

I have "a few" rifles that I use for HD, plinking and range outings etc, but nothing that is suitable for venturing beyond 700 yards. I recently bought a 7mm RM autoloader and was looking for ways to optimize its accuracy with off-the-shelf ammo. Your posts have redirected my attention-now I am eager to add a rifle that can adeptly reach out beyond a thousand yards.
I wonder if you would be so kind as to make a recommendation? Factory build or modded, less than 9 lbs so it can be fielded, maybe chambered 7 RM as to pair with my autoloader, and preferably under 1500 prior to adding an optic.
What would you suggest that I buy?
Any factory rifle with a tuner added to it will outshoot the same rifle without the tuner so pick the rifle that fits your budget.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 05-10-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptDan View Post
. Browning did it for hunters that generally shot 1 particular round while hunting.
Or guys like me who wanted a relatively inexpensive benchrest .308 bolt action rifle to shoot Federal Gold Medal 168gr BTHP at under 1/2 MOA over and over again. Mine is an off the shelf A-Bolt Varmint variant with a longer bull barrel. One of my buddies was a bit displeased to find out that my rifle shot as well as his customized and tuned Remington.

Last edited by SamIAm; 05-10-2019 at 12:21 PM..