Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 05-03-2019, 6:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default 1892 winchester 25-20 value and refinishing question

Getting this gun and was planning to refinish the stock set. Anyone have an idea of what one in this condition is worth? I know refinishing will change the value so if it is valuable probably won't. Not sure what specific year it was made but it is in the 1920's. The gun functions fine.

rGkWh8PaRYGrtiDwG1N+5Q.jpg

QtHdKcxUTG2pUEbssDHG7g.jpg

3xa1AqLVQJSg30z5t4qO0w.jpg
Old 05-03-2019, 6:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Check GB for pricing. I was looking at old 92s the other day. 25-20 was the majority of the older 92s.

MLC, First 3
Old 05-03-2019, 6:40 PM

I have one just like it, although in not nearly that great condition. If yours still has a good bore, your way ahead of the game. Mine is black powder shot out, and several bad attempts at refinishing. If you just want to sell it, I would oil it up and sell it. Refinishing it in any form but by a professional will take away whatever original value it has, as in mine is virtually worthless. Turnbull wanted WAAAAAAAAY to much to make it like new. Good Luck whatever you decide.
Old 05-03-2019, 6:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Cool old carbine, IDK the value, but stock matches the rest of rifle, don't think I could bring myself to do anymore than use BLO or teak oil on it if it was me. I have an old Winchester 92 octagon barrel 25-20 rifle, that's all I do to its stock. 25-20 is a neat cartridge but you'll want to reload because 25-20 factory ammo is expensive.
Old 05-03-2019, 6:42 PM

Don't refinish it, you will ruin the value of the rifle. If it's all original and functions, it is worth over $1,000.00, possibly more. Do not refinish the wood or the metal, just leave it alone and be happy you have a 100 year old rifle. The .25-20 was the least popular caliber of the 1892's but it also the most rare (less made than any other caliber) so hold on to it. I have one just like it.
Old 05-03-2019, 7:14 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

^^^^^^^^^^^

Good advise
Old 05-04-2019, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
Cool old carbine, IDK the value, but stock matches the rest of rifle, don't think I could bring myself to do anymore than use BLO or teak oil on it if it was me. I have an old Winchester 92 octagon barrel 25-20 rifle, that's all I do to its stock. 25-20 is a neat cartridge but you'll want to reload because 25-20 factory ammo is expensive.
Last time I checked it was $50+ for 20.....I have a Bullet Mold and I bought a bunch of Brass and Bullets. I found a place that does Barrel Sleeving, but that would be a project for the future.
Old 05-07-2019, 8:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If I owned that 1892 SRC I would knock out that aftermarket Marble's barrel sight and fill the dovetail with a vintage blank that matches the finish on the rest of the rifle.

I agree with the suggestion of just oiling the wood and let it go at that... I don't think it looks bad now and the wood matches the metal which is the way most people like to see them.

Even if the bore is nasty it will probably shoot jacketed bullets fairly well, but they are getting harder to find. Hornady and Speer are the only ones still making jacketed flat point bullets in .257 but you might stumble into some NOS remington bullets.

I have a few 25-20 that I shoot in the NRA silhouette matches and I finally found a cast bullet combo that shoots well, but only if you have a good bore. I sent off one of my 25-20 rifles to John Taylor Machine a few years back and had it sleeved and that one shoots cast really well. The other difficulty is finding brass but if you really search you can find it sometimes or just make it from 32-20 Starline but you should expect to lose about 10% of the cases when sizing.

That's a nice looking rifle though... looks like it had a happy life!!

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertdouche
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Old 05-07-2019, 2:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
If I owned that 1892 SRC I would knock out that aftermarket Marble's barrel sight and fill the dovetail with a vintage blank that matches the finish on the rest of the rifle.

I agree with the suggestion of just oiling the wood and let it go at that... I don't think it looks bad now and the wood matches the metal which is the way most people like to see them.

Even if the bore is nasty it will probably shoot jacketed bullets fairly well, but they are getting harder to find. Hornady and Speer are the only ones still making jacketed flat point bullets in .257 but you might stumble into some NOS remington bullets.

I have a few 25-20 that I shoot in the NRA silhouette matches and I finally found a cast bullet combo that shoots well, but only if you have a good bore. I sent off one of my 25-20 rifles to John Taylor Machine a few years back and had it sleeved and that one shoots cast really well. The other difficulty is finding brass but if you really search you can find it sometimes or just make it from 32-20 Starline but you should expect to lose about 10% of the cases when sizing.

That's a nice looking rifle though... looks like it had a happy life!!

Why would you take off the barrel sight?
Old 05-07-2019, 3:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.V.I.D. View Post
Why would you take off the barrel sight?
It's not the original sight that would have been on it when new, and it doesn't match the rest of the metal finish so it is probably a recent addition.
Since your carbine already has a vintage Lyman #1A tang sight, that is going to give you a longer sight radius and probably a better sight picture with the aperture. Lastly, the barrel sight will sometimes get in the way of the sight picture on closer shooting distances when the tang sight is screwed down.

The correct barrel sight for most 1894 SRC Winchesters is a Winchester 44A that has a flip-up slider.

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertdouche
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Old 05-07-2019, 3:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think that the honest wear looks better than any bluing or shiny wood ever would.
Old 05-29-2019, 6:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone know where I could find some 25-20 in the Bay Area?
Old 05-29-2019, 6:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.V.I.D. View Post
Anyone know where I could find some 25-20 in the Bay Area?
You can still order it online and have it sent to an FFL near you. Are you a reloader yet?

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/25-2...mmo-c-927.aspx

MLC, First 3
Old 05-30-2019, 3:01 PM

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/25-20-winchester ....another option.
Old 05-31-2019, 5:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
You can still order it online and have it sent to an FFL near you. Are you a reloader yet?

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/25-2...mmo-c-927.aspx
Yes but don’t plan on reloading that, doubt I’ll ever shoot it more than a handful of times.
Old 05-31-2019, 6:38 AM

DON'T DO IT!

As a collector piece, it is worth WAY more in original condition . . . just fix anything that is broke but leave the finish alone.

Just my two cents as a collector. If I was buying, it would be worth $1500 up but if refinished, I would only pay way under 1k.