Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 04-28-2019, 1:00 PM

Default Impulse 308 purchase

I owned some bolt actions in the past but sold them before coming out to California. I have been on the lookout for a 308 Tikka T3x CTR, Bergara HMR, or R700 gen2 5R to get back into it. These bolts actions are currently found for $950ish, but I came across 2 deals that led me down a different path. Riflegear has the Ruger American Predator 308 for $439, and Primary Arms has the Magpul stock for $219. I ordered both to build a decent all purpose rifle for learning to hit steel out to 600 yards @ Angeles and deer from a blind (<200 yards) back on the east coast. I have 2 scopes to choose from, a Burris 4.5x14 Timberline and Takeo 2.5-10. Will add a bipod, sling, and should be good to go. Total cost is ~$1050, roughly the same price of one of the rifles I was originally looking for. Hopefully this will scratch my itch for a while. Should I consider anything else or have anything done? I guess I can upgrade in the future.
Old 04-28-2019, 3:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Get a Harris S-BRM bipod.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 06-09-2019, 2:00 AM

Thanks for the recommendation.

Well, I got a new scope, took it out to Angeles Gun Range and....I am having issues ejecting the shell after firing. After taking the shot, I can lift the bolt up, but it will not pull back to eject the shell. I found that if I rock the bolt down and back up a couple of times, it will eventually release and eject the shell with little resistance. I oiled the bolt head, chamber, and repeated. This issue occurred 9 of 10 times with both PPU and Federal Matchkings. I got frustrated, packed up, and will call Ruger this week.
Old 06-09-2019, 2:33 AM

Should’ve just got a tikka for the price of rifle and stock.
Old 06-09-2019, 5:23 AM
Veteran Member

Check action screw torque? You might have it far too tight, in which case it's tweaking the action just enough that a case expanded a bit by firing won't cycle properly. If that doesn't work, put the action back in its original stock and see what happens.

If I was Ruger's customer service, those are the first two things I'd suggest you do.
Old 06-09-2019, 7:23 AM

Impulse buys are a lot safer than impulse dates ;-)

You've done exceptionally well.

I hope it all works out for you. It sounds like an excellent hunting setup.
Old 06-09-2019, 9:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmboy View Post
I am having issues ejecting the shell after firing.
After taking the shot, I can lift the bolt up, but it will not pull back to eject the shell.
I found that if I rock the bolt down and back up a couple of times, it will eventually release and eject the shell with little resistance.
That's the primary extraction you are having problems with.
Run the bolt more swiftly.
You are likely babying it and you won't have enough speed/force to pop the cartridge free in that manner.
Bolts with shorter bolt throw (3 lug bolts commonly have 60 degrees) have weaker primary extraction than bolts with 90 degrees of travel as they have to put all the extraction cam into less travel.
Two lug bolts normally have 90 degrees of travel so the primary extraction cam can be gentler and therefore works easier.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 06-09-2019 at 9:33 PM..