Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2020, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider858 View Post
I hope I’m not too late to the party, but I just called to schedule my 1st appt.

Apparently first available appt was October? The person on the phone said that it should go quicker. Can anyone confirm this? Thank you
Se my timeline above. I was originally given a date a full year away, it got bumped up twice. I'm sure that you will get pumped up as well, especially since they are bringing the new system on line.
Old 02-26-2020, 7:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I hope I’m not too late to the party, but ...
Why are you so late to the party??? Gore liberalized issuance something like 2.5 years ago. I would have thought CGNers would have been at the front of the line.

240+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 02-27-2020, 11:45 AM

My family is growing and all of my attention these days revolves around my two boys. Not much time for hobbies unfortunately.

Last edited by SDRider858; 02-27-2020 at 2:55 PM..
Old 03-02-2020, 6:51 PM

FREEDOM HAS BEEN GRANTED!! My approval email dropped in my inbox today, lets keep these numbers going up.

Called Feb 2019 to schedule my appointment
1st appointment 9/11
2nd appointment 12/4
approved 2/20

its been a long waiting process but well worth it!
Old 03-02-2020, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post
FREEDOM HAS BEEN GRANTED!! My approval email dropped in my inbox today, lets keep these numbers going up.

Called Feb 2019 to schedule my appointment
1st appointment 9/11
2nd appointment 12/4
approved 2/20

its been a long waiting process but well worth it!

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2020, 11:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My family is growing and all of my attention these days revolves around my two boys. Not much time for hobbies unfortunately.
I've never viewed being able to defend myself as a "hobby".

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I have my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 03-07-2020, 12:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
True. A CCW will allow him to defend those two boys, their mother and their father (i.e., himself). That seems obvious to us. I wonder why he doesn't see it that way?

Old 03-07-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I think the intent of his post was that our hobbies are sometimes part of the justifications for our GC in San Diego. I ride motorcycles interstate, camp, and hike a lot both with and without my dogs. I used those "hobbies" and the inability for law enforcement to be able to protect me or respond in a timely fashion as part of my GC.
Old 03-07-2020, 4:35 PM

Any updates for the CCW process such as renewal, or the process going online, or adding more firearms then the already three, or making the permits last longer then two years...just curious as my renewal is this time next year.

Again, just curious...

Last edited by giaking70; 03-07-2020 at 4:37 PM..
Old 03-07-2020, 4:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaking70 View Post
Any updates for the CCW process such as renewal, or the process going online, or adding more firearms then the already three, or making the permits last longer then two years...just curious as my renewal is this time next year.

Again, just curious...

Isn't the two year marker a state mandate?
Old 03-07-2020, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaking70 View Post

Again, just curious...
The word you were looking for is than, not then. And I think the three weapons and two year permits are controlled by the state, probably the same with our goofy laminated permits.
Old 03-13-2020, 1:20 PM

Per clerk Lauren at Lic Div they will be online within the next few weeks and the new card will be "credit card sized". I renewed my CCW yesterday and it took 45 minutes start to finish with new card in hand. Lauren asked if everything was the same as 2 yrs ago and I had 2 bills with addresses and exact cash $73.52. The camera was mashugana so she just used my old photo. Lauren hand carried my packet to "Edna" and she gave OK and "Bobs your Uncle". They have come a long ways in the last 26 yrs. Again, kind thanks to all you Republicans (Sheriff Gore), my trainer Larry Renner at +P Proficiency, San Diego County Gun Owners, Paladin, and of course Big Ed Peruta.
Old 03-13-2020, 7:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusrn View Post
Per clerk Lauren at Lic Div they will be online within the next few weeks and the new card will be "credit card sized". I renewed my CCW yesterday and it took 45 minutes start to finish with new card in hand. Lauren asked if everything was the same as 2 yrs ago and I had 2 bills with addresses and exact cash $73.52. The camera was mashugana so she just used my old photo. Lauren hand carried my packet to "Edna" and she gave OK and "Bobs your Uncle". They have come a long ways in the last 26 yrs. Again, kind thanks to all you Republicans (Sheriff Gore), my trainer Larry Renner at +P Proficiency, San Diego County Gun Owners, Paladin, and of course Big Ed Peruta.
Thank you for the update. Any discussion about them extending the duration from 2 years to 3-5? Because 2 years is ridiculous. Most specifically the cost associated with having to renew every two years.

Fighter Pilot
Old 03-14-2020, 6:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
The word you were looking for is than, not then. And I think the three weapons and two year permits are controlled by the state, probably the same with our goofy laminated permits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Thank you for the update. Any discussion about them extending the duration from 2 years to 3-5? Because 2 years is ridiculous. Most specifically the cost associated with having to renew every two years.
Statute generally sets permit length at up to two years.
Quote:
26220. (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section and in subdivision (c) of Section 26210, a license issued pursuant to Section 26150 or 26155 is valid for any period of time not to exceed two years from the date of the license.
Number of guns on the permit is entirely up to the IA, but must be listed in the permit. Page 5, Section 3, STANDARD INITIAL AND RENEWAL APPLICATION
Quote:
Section 3 - Description of Weapons
DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE PAGE 5 of 13
List below the weapons you desire to carry if granted a CCW license. You may carry concealed only the weapon(s) which you list and describe herein, and only for the purpose indicated. Any misuse will cause an automatic revocation and possible arrest. Use additional pages if necessary.
Permits may be laminated, but it isn’t required.
Quote:
26175(i) Any license issued upon the application shall set forth the licensee’s name, occupation, residence and business address, the licensee’s age, height, weight, color of eyes and hair, and the reason for desiring a license to carry the weapon, and shall, in addition, contain a description of the weapon or weapons authorized to be carried, giving the name of the manufacturer, the serial number, and the caliber. The license issued to the licensee may be laminated.
Old 03-14-2020, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusrn View Post
Per clerk Lauren at Lic Div they will be online within the next few weeks and the new card will be "credit card sized". I renewed my CCW yesterday and it took 45 minutes start to finish with new card in hand.
Did they issue you the credit card type or only for the next group with online application?
Sorry for asking, may sound like a dumb question; my renewal is in July.

Old 03-14-2020, 8:07 PM

I got old style format but I noticed she did laminate it this time. Too big for some wallets.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:23 PM

Looks like online is ready, I made my appt the first week of 2020 and was scheduled for an august appt. They said it will be moved up but I just got an email about the online application.

Quote:
n an effort to make the CCW process more efficient, the San Diego County Sheriff has implemented a new online CCW processing system. In the transition plan from our old paper based system to the new online system, you will retain your original appointment. To bring your application into the new system, you will need to fill out and pay for your CCW online by following directions below:

You MUST complete the following "next-steps" at least 48 hours prior to the CCW interview:
  • Click HERE to register and confirm your upcoming interview appointment.
  • Upon completion of the online registration process you will be asked to submit your $105.63 application/interview fee for a Standard CCW. All major credit/debit cards are accepted.
  • Please arrive 15 minutes early for your interview appointment.
  • Please note: cash payments may lengthen processing time for your CCW. If you choose to pay cash for the application/interview fee, you must arrive 15 minutes prior to your interview time.

Old 03-15-2020, 8:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Old 03-16-2020, 3:37 PM

Cool, hopefully the renewal process will all be online? Just confirm that your GC is the same and take the class again.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Old 03-17-2020, 9:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post
I sure hope its nothing about the individual (me) that would warrant a special residence check. I would like to think with my background working for DOD, holding a Secret Clearance, no criminal record, no DUIs, previous FBI\DOJ background checks with live scans would prove I am a good dude... Ok, I may have been busted with a small a mount of weed back in 2006 but nothing that would rise any red flags...

Fingers crossed
Did the bust for reefer affect the secret clearance, or was your company done paying for the clearance when you were popped??

Tactical is like boobs...you can sell anything with it....arf

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 03-17-2020, 10:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
True. A CCW will allow him to defend those two boys, their mother and their father (i.e., himself). That seems obvious to us. I wonder why he doesn't see it that way?
Defending the family is still allowed, up to and including deadly force, if it complies with the legal definition of deadly force.

I'm unable to find where a shooter was charged with anything regarding lack of a CWL, and the shooter was carrying.

Tactical is like boobs...you can sell anything with it....arf

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 03-17-2020, 5:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
I'm unable to find where a shooter was charged with anything regarding lack of a CWL, and the shooter was carrying.
Have you forgotten about the Patron Saint of CCWers, Bernie Goetz, the "Subway Vigilante"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_N...Criminal_trial

Last edited by Paladin; 03-17-2020 at 5:54 PM..
Old 03-17-2020, 7:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Have you forgotten about the Patron Saint of CCWers, Bernie Goetz, the "Subway Vigilante"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_N...Criminal_trial
Just to try to keep the example relevant to current day, (and in California,) wouldn’t the Gardner case provide a more direct correlation?
Old 03-18-2020, 3:39 PM

Initially I was one of the lucky ones.
-I called at the beginning of Jan 2018 and was able to get my first appointment 1 week later.

-After my first appointment, I was able to get my 2nd appointment 1 week after that.

-My approval letter arrived towards the end of March 2018.

-I took my firearms course with James Murphy @ PPFT (Personal Protection Firearms Training)...I totally recommend him as he has the most flexible schedule, smaller classroom sizes, and is a great and entertaining teacher.

-In early April 2018, I got my CCW permit.

Now my 2 year renewal is upon me. For my 4 hr. renewal course, I once again choose to go with James Murphy @ PPFT.

I called the Licensing Division a few weeks before my expiration date and was told that for renewals I could just come in without an appointment so long as I have my paperwork and 4 hr certificate. This turned out to no longer be true.

I just went in to try and renew and was turned away since my expiration is AFTER April 1st...the date that their online system is supposed to go live. I work in the online industry and no gov. online system has ever launched without a hitch! The 1st being April's Fool is not lost on me. So I am not too happy that they are putting all their eggs into one basket with this online system. Especially, when my expiration date is only a couple of days after their system goes live. So they are expecting me to upload all docs online on April 1st (assuming the system works) then pray that they get back to me and get me in for an appointment within 48-72 hrs so I can renew my permit before the current one expires. Forgive me, but I have zero faith in any bureaucratic agency moving fast or efficiently!

And starting tomorrow (Thurs. March 19th) they are limiting their office hours to 8am-12pm M-F! https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

This was why I wanted to renew early so I could avoid any slow downs caused by issues from the launch of the online system and of course with each passing day who the hell knows what effect the Wuhan Flu Virus is going to have on the city.
Old 03-19-2020, 9:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

New appointments are being delayed until April. Re-ups are still being processed.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
New appointments are being delayed until April. Re-ups are still being processed.
If your renewal date is AFTER April 1st it seems they want you to do it via the online system and will turn you away if you come in to do it in person. Thats what happened to me.
Old 03-21-2020, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Did the bust for reefer affect the secret clearance, or was your company done paying for the clearance when you were popped??
Luckily my charge of possession was dropped and I only paid a $25.00 court fee and that was a few years before obtaining my clearance
Old 03-21-2020, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
I have to start thinking about this as I have to renew in May. I wonder if any instructors are holding requalification classes currently for those that have to renew now.
Old 03-21-2020, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_man View Post
I have to start thinking about this as I have to renew in May. I wonder if any instructors are holding requalification classes currently for those that have to renew now.
Pretty sure the requal has to be done within 30 days of renewal.

I expire in May as well and was told to wait until the online system is up and running, do my requal, and then submit application through the new online system after it's live. They wouldn't let me make an appointment sooner.
Old 03-21-2020, 8:20 AM

I guess that was my point. People who need to renew in April might be out of luck if they can not find someone to requalify with in the 30 day window. Anyone know of an approved instructor that is still holding classes? Probably one on one at this point?

I originally qualified with Bill Desy. This is the info currently on his website

Quote:
Based on the Governor’s COVID-19 “Stay at Home Order” and in the interest of supporting public health and safety, the GlockStore has announced that they will NOT be open tomorrow. With the absence of a suitable classroom and range facility, we will have to cancel all Classes until further notice.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you! I have been reassured that the Sheriff’s Licensing Division is in full support of cancelling CCW classes in the interest of public safety and will have a coordinated effort to implement the new Permitium Software that should make both initial and renewal applications easier and faster to process in the future. Please check back with our website for updated information.
Old 03-21-2020, 9:16 AM

Default Sheriff Gore Aims to Issue More Concealed Gun Permits in San Diego County

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_man View Post
I guess that was my point. People who need to renew in April might be out of luck if they can not find someone to requalify with in the 30 day window. Anyone know of an approved instructor that is still holding classes? Probably one on one at this point?

I originally qualified with Bill Desy. This is the info currently on his website

Have you checked with Discount Gun Mart at Morena? I believe the instructor there still holds CCW class.
I also did mine with Bill

Old 03-24-2020, 6:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Now it's 3905! An increase of 185 in 1 month.

Every month a new record broken!

If the CCWs issued per month keeps increasing, SC Co SO should have 5,000 CCWs outstanding by 2020 Sept 01.

Now it's 4046, and increase of 141. While the total is a new record, the monthly increase is not. Undoubtedly, the number per month will be dead in the water for awhile because of the CV19 pandemic.

Quote:
EFFECTIVE MARCH 24, 2020
NEW OFFICE HOURS: TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY 8:00-12:00, FOR CRIMINAL REGISTRATIONS ONLY

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the San Diego Sheriff Department, Licensing Division is closed for all CCW transactions until further notice. Beginning April 1, 2020, you will be able to access the new online CCW program called Permitium.

Visit this page again for the link on April 1, 2020.
More at: https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

Last edited by Paladin; 03-24-2020 at 6:23 PM..
Old 03-29-2020, 8:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
A little OT, but companies do not pay for clearances. The government sponsor initiates the process, and OPM does the investigation, but there's no direct payment involved.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I have my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!