Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-04-2019, 2:41 PM
Veteran Member

Default Cooking really old beans

OK, going thru kitchen cabinets clearing out old food items---found a plastic bag labeled "Trader Joe's 17 bean and barley soup mix", it was probably 10+ years old (maybe older!)---wife used to buy such things, but her not being much of a cook, seemed like a good idea to her, but never made. Well, being we've entered colder season, she decided to make it---we followed directions on package, but substituted things like chicken stock for vegetable stock cause that's what we had on hand---tossed in a can of mushrooms and a can of diced tomatoes plus other things including diced onions, celery, carrots, garlic, etc. The soup directions said simmer for one hour or slightly longer until beans were cooked thru---well, after three hours, the beans were still not cooked---after seven hours the beans were just starting to get softer (we had to add more water)---after nine hours, the beans were still "crunchy", but somewhat edible---so, I guess my question is for all you guys who store large amounts of dry beans, do older beans still cook up like you want them to?
Old 12-04-2019, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

Older beans can require extra effort.

Best way is pressure cooker.

Another is boil them, let set 24 hours, then cook as directed. Slo-cooker (crock pot) 24 hrs can also work.

Depending on how old they are, you might not ever get them to cook up exactly like fresh beans. They are safe to eat, but bothersome to cook.
Old 12-04-2019, 3:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not a shtfnutritionist but I believe I've read that after 10 years, maybe sooner for some items, Foods start to lose their nutritional value.
Sure in an emergency situation it's good to have a full belly and something to cook to take your mind off the zombie problems but if you're not getting nutrition you're wasting calories and gas, electricity or firewood making it happen.

But it still beats eating something that's gone bad because then you're really in trouble.
Old 12-04-2019, 4:10 PM
Veteran Member

It was just an interesting experiment...
Old 12-04-2019, 4:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

when my dad made beans out of our ham bone he would let the beans soak overnight
Old 12-04-2019, 5:13 PM

Dried beans...soak in water overnight. Cook long and slow the next day.

In your case, just keep cooking them, you’ll get there.
Old 12-04-2019, 5:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If they are really old, you can still eat them. But they will never be soft and tasty.

Sounds like a metaphor... ??
Old 12-04-2019, 5:29 PM

All those canned goods you added were probably loaded with sodium and salt will prevent beans from getting soft no matter how long you cook them. Always salt your beans after they get soft.
Old 12-05-2019, 2:59 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, we did soak them in water for over 48 hours! I've made various recipes including several types of beans with some canned items (and all their salt) and they came out fine. My original question was about OLD beans an now I believe I have my answer---old beans may not be ideal for super long prepping stash...
Old 12-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Sacks of old beans are just fine as long as they never see moisture or bugs. Nothing else in the bag.
Canned beans are way better to store long term although I keep both types in the larder.

I prefer rice because of a more efficient cook time which uses less fuel. Find another source for protein and store that.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 12-05-2019 at 11:44 AM..
Old 12-05-2019, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

If certain kinds of beans store better, anyone here know which ones they are? I agree, white rice is more efficient in terms of less cooking time and long-term storage. I'm not looking for end-of-the-world solutions, I just wanna have a reliable stash of water and food to get my family thru a couple of weeks or a month in an event situation...
Old 12-05-2019, 3:36 PM

Put in a little baking soda, like a half teaspoon per pot. If you over do it you end up with bean mush.
Old 12-05-2019, 9:21 PM

I have 2 methods: one was listed above - bring to a boil, boil about 20 min, then turn the heat off, leave the lid on and let them set overnight. Then slow cook them for a couple hours - may not be perfect but it works pretty good. The other is after doing the above add some lard, mash, and make re-fried beans.