Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-09-2023, 3:45 PM

Default Tikka T1x or CZ 457 American or CZ 457 Varmint?

Any experience with these rifles? Looking for a good shooter, have fun plinker, long range goofing off. Maybe hunting, no competitions.

Which one would you get - they are all essentially the same price.
Old 12-09-2023, 5:03 PM

They?re all good, likely you?ll be very happy with whatever you pick.

I went with the 457 pro varmint on a whim (saw it in a shop when I was picking up an ppt) and am super happy with it. The varmint barrels do add a chunk of weight, so how much you balance ease of carry while maybe hunting to the advantages of extra barrel thickness dictate that decision.
Old 12-09-2023, 5:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have the CZ 457 Varmint and love it. It is a great shooter, I only swapped a $10 Yo Dave trigger spring and it feels even better now. It is vey accurate and I have taken it out to 200yds with great success, will be trying some 300yd at some point.

It is very solid with a great finish and wood stock.

The only downside is that it is very heavy for a 22.

You can also easily swap the barrel on these 457s and the action can support 17HMR and 22WMR with a plate, mag and barrel swap.

No experience with the Tikka though.
Old 12-10-2023, 1:53 AM

Never had a Tikka but I had a CZ 452 American and a 457 Varmint. Both had extremely smooth actions and equally beautiful wood stocks. Both great shooters. The American was 5.9 lbs with mag and no scope and 7.0 lbs with a Nikon 2-7x32 scope. The Varmint was 7.1 lbs with just a mag and 8.4 lbs with a Bushnell 4.5-18x40 scope. Hunting and plinking with the American was easier because it is a do everything general 22. The varmint was better long range and always wanted sand bags to set on. The weight is great as the picture in the scope doesn't move when fired and when the light is just right you can see the bullet fly. Between either of the two CZs you'd just have to pick the weight you want because both are great choices.
Old 12-16-2023, 7:03 PM

I have a CZ 457 Varmint and love it
Old 12-19-2023, 10:43 PM

I Have two T1x rifles -- one in 22lr and one in 17HMR. they are fantastic. I also have a CZ452 Varmint, a Brno model 1 custom rifle, and owned two other model 1 sporters in original condition. Also owned a CZ527 in 7.62x39. All were fantastic. You cannot go wrong.
Old 12-19-2023, 10:51 PM

If you want the most accurate CZ go with a 457 Varmint MTR the MTR stands for Match Target Rifle. It has a special match chamber. Mine shoots Sub MOA at a hundred yards.
Old 12-21-2023, 9:58 AM
Calguns Addict

I have a 20" T1x. The trigger IMO is one of the best stock triggers. It has zero creep and can be adjusted relatively light (not as light as an aftermarket, though).

My one complaint is the barrel is slow. Depending on ammo, it can skew as much as 100fps slower than another rimfire gun with same barrel length (Vudoo with 20" Bartlein barrel). I have numbers here - https://www.ocabj.net/tikka-t1x-mtr-22lr-rifle-review/

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net
Old 12-31-2023, 8:28 AM

I just bought a Tx1 in 16 inch yesterday as a matter for fact.. Wanted the more compact barrel for suppressor use and handier length.. Will be here this week hopefully.. Lowest price I could find was 655.00 shipped to my FFL.. Most expensive new made .22 I have ever purchased..Hope it is all people say it is..

I would sure not mind having a CZ either.. But I collect Berettas and the Tikka with the Beretta connection was just more appealing to me.. I may eventually look into a non plastic stock option and see what is out there..
Old 12-31-2023, 8:39 AM

I have the 457 Varmint. Have it on a MDT chassis and an Arken 4-16 scope. It’s a little heavy but my main purpose was to bench shoot the thing. It’s been great with multiple ammo brands and it’s very accurate. Only reason I got the CZ and not the Tikka was availability. This one was in stock.