Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-05-2019, 8:32 PM

Angry PSA 22 AR upper/BCG issus

Hey guys,
I got issues with my new PSA 22lr/ BCG group. I slapped it on my Spikes lower that uses a Toms tactical NiB trigger group. I also bought three CMMG 10 round mags and loaded those with some CCI mini mags.
The first four rounds that I loaded in all had lite primer strikes. The next few shot, then I had some failure to feed. The rounds seemed to be feeding in at steep of and angle and bent the cartridge. I had that happen quite a few times. Tried all three mags but all seemed to have the same issue.
I stopped and pulled the BCG and oiled the firing pin. I hand cycled the pin about 80 times to stretch the firing spring. It felt stronger than I expected when pushing on it.
I put the BCG back it and shot a few more rounds until I had a few more failure to feed. I seems like there is a lot of slop with CMMG mag in the Spikes lower. If I pulled the mag towards me when firing, it seemed to feed better better. I shot through a couple more mags with maybe on more lite primer strike and a stove pipe. I then let go of the mag and held the hand guard for the remaining shots. Half way through the last mag I got a failure to eject that got lodged in the barrel. At that point I stopped and called it a night.
Have any of you with 22 AR experienced these problems?
I think the lite primer strikes will go away once I break in the BCG but is that normal? Could it be a weak trigger spring?
Failure to feed. Have you guys had feeding issues with CMMG mags. Do other brands of magazines like the Blackdogs have less slop? Could there be some other issue with the upper or lower tolerances? My 5.56 Radical upper runs with out any kind of issues on the Spikes lower.
Thanks in advanced your help.
Old 02-05-2019, 8:46 PM

I use 15 22 mags with a better mag adapter and it runs great. Friend uses the same cmmg with cmmg mags and has all the issues you are experiencing. I think it's the mags. I never tried mine so I will test them out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomorro View Post
I use 15 22 mags with a better mag adapter and it runs great. Friend uses the same cmmg with cmmg mags and has all the issues you are experiencing. I think it's the mags....

+1 on the 15-22 mags and Better Mag Adapter

Op's comment about slop between the magwell/feed ramp and magazine may likely be the problem. While I have not seen this with a PSA upper, I have experienced a similar situation with a Marlin 795 where there was a tolerance issue between a magazine and the feed ramp. In that case anytime there was backward pressure on the magazine from sling or hand, then there was an increase in feed issues.

Good luck trouble shooting!

ARFrog

Last edited by ARFrog; 02-05-2019 at 9:45 PM..
Old 02-06-2019, 3:24 AM

CMMG upper and BlackDog mags, runs like a machine.
Old 02-06-2019, 3:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Buy or borrow a different mag and try it.
Old 02-06-2019, 6:28 AM

The PSA site lists Black Dog magazines.

When I was researching .22LR uppers, I was under the impression that CMMG mags were made to run with their conversion kits, and that there was a difference between those mags and Black Dog mags.

In my experience, the Black Dog mags with metal feed lips will eventually crack where they attach to the mag body. I have seen this on my original purchase, and on the replacements that Black Dog sent to me. I have not seen this with their plastic feed lips.

Registration is the first step towards confiscation.

I identify as Non-Bidenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
This is OT where we never let the facts get in the way of a salacious accusation. Especially when it includes the butt.
Old 02-06-2019, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFrog View Post
+1 on the 15-22 mags and Better Mag Adapter

Op's comment about slop between the magwell/feed ramp and magazine may likely be the problem. While I have not seen this with a PSA upper, I have experienced a similar situation with a Marlin 795 where there was a tolerance issue between a magazine and the feed ramp. In that case anytime there was backward pressure on the magazine from sling or hand, then there was an increase in feed issues.

Good luck trouble shooting!
Another vote for this solution. Mine runs flawlessly.
Old 02-06-2019, 8:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Deep cleaning, polishing the slide, chamber and feed ramps fixed my issues. These are rough when new. Slip 2000 EWL also helps a lot.
Old 02-06-2019, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

I bought a CMMG 22lr convert kit and use it in a Rock River upper with a Superior lower with Black Dog mags. No issues. Never used, never plan to use the CMMG mag. Too long, and I am not a AR purist having to use 30 rnd length mags. It hangs too low to be useful. CCI Mini mags and Winchester rnds have worked great.

Psalm 1
Old 02-06-2019, 8:32 AM

My new PSA 22 upper was producing light primer strikes and jams when I used the Black Dog and CMMG mags. I put in a Wolf heavy duty hammer spring, and now it functions fine with both mags. Brownells from time to time has free shipping. You can get the Black Dogs for $15.00.
Old 02-06-2019, 8:42 AM

I run the CMMG conversion kit with CMMG mags, haven't had any issues.

From pics on the PSA site, the bcg doesn't appear to have a barrel collar with adapter. I believe this adapter assists in seating for feeding reliability. Can you confirm? Maybe because it's a dedicated upper, the barrel incorporates the collar for seating.

CMMG BCG with collar and adapter.
5/25/21: Request for interview
6/03/21: Interview completed and Livescan submitted w/CA and FBI completed
6/14/21: Firearms Livescan: completed
8/16/21: Request to complete firearms training
8/22/21: Gun training completed/Certs submitted
10/11/21: Call to pickup
10/13/21: CCW permit picked up

Last edited by jimster716; 02-06-2019 at 8:47 AM..
Old 02-06-2019, 8:45 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I've got a Chiappa mag that I use with mine, and sometimes it does the same. Pretty annoying. I need to get some BDM mags.
Old 02-06-2019, 9:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDave100 View Post
In my experience, the Black Dog mags with metal feed lips will eventually crack where they attach to the mag body. I have seen this on my original purchase, and on the replacements that Black Dog sent to me. I have not seen this with their plastic feed lips.
That blows. Yeah the plastic ones like the one that comes with the SIG522 run great in the Sig or AR22's. Have a bunch of those steel lipped ones too though. Good to know BDM will replace them.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:29 AM

Yeah I'm amazed at how much play there is with the cmmg mags. My AR hexmags have very little play so I wonder if it's a manufacturing issue. It seems like if it had a tighter fit it wouldn't be an issue. Hopefully the light primer strikes go away when I finish my 22 dedicated lower. I'll try that Wolf hammer spring in there.
Thanks guys.
Old 02-09-2019, 2:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomorro View Post
I use 15 22 mags with a better mag adapter and it runs great. Friend uses the same cmmg with cmmg mags and has all the issues you are experiencing. I think it's the mags. I never tried mine so I will test them out.

I haven't shot mine yet, but this is the setup I run

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CA DOJ BOF stance on modifying handguns only applies to dimensionally compliant bolt-action single-shot pistols and dimensionally compliant break-open single-shot pistols.
^It does not apply to revolvers, manually operated repeating pistols, and semi-auto pistols." ~~ Quiet
Old 03-01-2019, 2:48 PM

I've finally got this upper to work more reliably. I took some advice from you guys and bought a Wolf heavy duty hammer spring and the Better mags adapter//S&W 15-22 mags, and the CMMG 22lr specific charging handle. I found the charging handle at a local gun store on blow out for $10. At that price I had to pick it up. The heavier duty hammer spring got rid of the lite primer strikes. Even with the better mags adapter and 15-22 mags, I still got FTEs. The FTEs pretty much went away. This adapter took out all slop and was allowing a more consistent feed angle.
I have managed to significantly decrease the FTEs by inserting a .5"x1" long PVC pipe in between the buffer and the back of the BCG. It's basically doing what the discontinued Taccom pressure plug did. I notched the bottom of the pipe so that it's held behind the buffer retain pin. The notch allows about .25" of it to protrude forward and puts pressure on the BCG. Before adding this the BCG would move slighting backwards when pulling the charging handle and loading a round. Now the BCG doesn't move and the FTEs are very rare.
Old 03-01-2019, 5:28 PM

Just a clarification...are you saying that when you previously were having the light primer strikes and FTEs that you were running it without anything in the buffer tube?

There is another recent thread in the Rimfire forum where this was the case and the OP was having a similar problem until he added a spring/buffer. Another OP commented on a sprinkler pipe working for him.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1513827

All I know is that the empty tube seems to create a problem and it may be compounded by the mag play that you were also describing. The BCG appears to need something behinds it and the magazine play can mess with the feeding process.

Good luck running it down. When you do you will find it very gratifying.

ARFrog
Old 03-01-2019, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

had the identical problem with the same upper. Send it back to PSA and when it was returned to me they said they had cleaned it and that it was working perfectly. Upon trying it again instantly had the same problems. Sent it back to PSA again and because they were out of stock on that particular up or at the time they upgraded to the 22 upper with the stainless steel bolt in it. I've now run probably 5000 rounds through it and it's 99% flawless. If you haven't sent it in to PSA, I suggest you do so and see if you can get an upgrade as I did. Good luck
Old 03-01-2019, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFrog View Post
Just a clarification...are you saying that when you previously were having the light primer strikes and FTEs that you were running it without anything in the buffer tube?

There is another recent thread in the Rimfire forum where this was the case and the OP was having a similar problem until he added a spring/buffer. Another OP commented on a sprinkler pipe working for him.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1513827

All I know is that the empty tube seems to create a problem and it may be compounded by the mag play that you were also describing. The BCG appears to need something behinds it and the magazine play can mess with the feeding process.

Good luck running it down. When you do you will find it very gratifying.
Yes that's correct. I think PSA should start making and including a buffer pressure plug with their 22lr uppers. They shouldn't cost much to make. They're also going to the make the upper run more reliably.
Old 03-01-2019, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg556 View Post
Yes that's correct. I think PSA should start making and including a buffer pressure plug with their 22lr uppers. They shouldn't cost much to make. They're also going to the make the upper run more reliably.
While this would be a nice addition or a nice add on purchase option. However, perhaps we should remember that they are selling and we are purchasing an upper not a complete rifle. They are also selling across the nation where other free state OPs might not be sensitive to possibly breaking poorly formed or described laws by leaving the buffer and spring out.

I do think at least a suitable mention in a FAQ would be in order. This would at least forewarn purchasers and remove the trial and error issues or product put downs when in reality it may be operator error.

By the way, I also have the nickel BCG and have not had issues with it. I had read elsewhere that there were early problems with the cheaper nitride version build but had not seen recent comments about this.

ARFrog