Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns Expatriates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Expatriates For members who have left California but remain Calgunners

Old 04-05-2023, 6:52 AM

Default Update: Almost 5 years gone and still giddy...

We sold our house in CA 5 years ago this month and moved to central Texas shortly after. Been through two serious ice storms and blizzards that paralyzed most of the US and had countless torrential rainstorms plus a few tornadoes that went through an hour north of us but, even with all that, I'm still so thankful to God that we were able to move out of California to Texas.

It's been good.
Old 04-05-2023, 7:52 AM

Still have the Jeep?
Old 04-05-2023, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopsDad View Post
We sold our house in CA 5 years ago this month and moved to central Texas shortly after. Been through two serious ice storms and blizzards that paralyzed most of the US and had countless torrential rainstorms plus a few tornadoes that went through an hour north of us but, even with all that, I'm still so thankful to God that we were able to move out of California to Texas.

It's been good.
It will be a year next month for us.

Haven?t looked back.

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli"
Old 04-05-2023, 12:16 PM
On Everyone's Ignore List
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'll have been here 5 years in May. I'm further south than the OP so I've only experienced the first ice storm 2 years ago.

I'm only 6 miles from the Gulf so Laura really tore up our area. We got the F out before it hit. No power for a week. Our travel trailer and generator saved our butts as it hit in August. Imelda trapped us for 2 days due to the amount of rain it brought.

I'll still take hurricanes over earthquakes any day. My house in Northridge was less than 1/2 mile from the one in 1994. Don't really care to go thru something like that again....you can run from a hurricane.

Being north of
70 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Going on three years for us and it seems like just a few months to us. The stress and nonsense that you used to have to deal with is such a thing of the past that it almost seems like a distant nightmare.

No tornados or really bad weather here and it's just as warm here in the Summer as it was where we left so that's not been a big deal. Have heard that we can get small earthquakes but have yet to have one.

Still feel like I'm doing something illegal when purchasing a weapon especially since all that is needed is to fill out the form and no background check with a CCW.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInOroValley View Post
Going on three years for us and it seems like just a few months to us. The stress and nonsense that you used to have to deal with is such a thing of the past that it almost seems like a distant nightmare.

No tornados or really bad weather here and it's just as warm here in the Summer as it was where we left so that's not been a big deal. Have heard that we can get small earthquakes but have yet to have one.

Still feel like I'm doing something illegal when purchasing a weapon especially since all that is needed is to fill out the form and no background check with a CCW.

That floored me also. Wasn't it nice to be able to purchase items you only had seen in magazines prior to moving? Local family owned gunshops are also a breath of fresh air when compared to the ones in Ca. Just got to stay away from Academy.......reminds me of Turners.

Being north of
70 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
Old 04-05-2023, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldemar View Post
That floored me also. Wasn't it nice to be able to purchase items you only had seen in magazines prior to moving? Local family owned gunshops are also a breath of fresh air when compared to the ones in Ca. Just got to stay away from Academy.......reminds me of Turners.
Dude, the first time I bought a gun in the parking lot of a gas station, I felt like the Stasi was going to jump out of the bushes and arrest me. Nowadays I wander yard sales and estate sales asking if they're selling any guns or hunting gear. Bought a Glock from a guy who wanted to meet in the lobby of our town's PD. I called ahead and the deputy said sure, just make sure it's not loaded and don't insert a magazine in the magwell. A cop walked in while we were transacting and it barely made him break stride, just enough to ask if I got a good deal.
Old 04-05-2023, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Shooter View Post
Still have the Jeep?
No, I sold it to a buddy down here who was after it for a while. Then he sold his ranch and offered it back to me; I didn't want it so he sold it to a guy in Kingsville who runs a game preserve. That guy called me just to tell me what a great rig it was and I should come by anytime.

I miss it but I'm glad I'm not driving it anymore. It was black and had no A/C; I would be melted into a greasy puddle by now like an off-brand crayon left on the dashboard in August.
Old 04-05-2023, 5:18 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Dude, the first time I bought a gun in the parking lot of a gas station, I felt like the Stasi was going to jump out of the bushes and arrest me.
Truth! I was the seller and the guy I was selling to turned out to be a Sullivan County cop to top it off. All good. I see him in his patrol vehicle around town from time to time.

Almost three years here now, time does fly.
Old 04-06-2023, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Dude, the first time I bought a gun in the parking lot of a gas station, I felt like the Stasi was going to jump out of the bushes and arrest me. Nowadays I wander yard sales and estate sales asking if they're selling any guns or hunting gear. Bought a Glock from a guy who wanted to meet in the lobby of our town's PD. I called ahead and the deputy said sure, just make sure it's not loaded and don't insert a magazine in the magwell. A cop walked in while we were transacting and it barely made him break stride, just enough to ask if I got a good deal.

Cops in rural areas or smaller towns have a really laid back attitude toward these things. I'm not so sure it would go over so well in the Big 4 cities though.

Being north of
Old 04-08-2023, 4:32 AM

I still remember the brewery meet in Norco, which was either right before you moved, or as you were in the process of moving.

Since being in KY I haven't had enough time to make it to his new brewery each time I've visited Nashville.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Been about 12 years for me and never once considered looking back. Not that there isn’t issues here too, and fights to be had, but it is nothing like what we moved away from.
Check it out I'm like a buzz bomb