Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 01-10-2022, 8:26 AM

Default Off Body Carry - Do you and with what?

Looking to get some kind of off body carry setup be it slingbag or fanny pack when I'm wearing clothing that isn't IWB friendly (joggers, gym shorts).

The Viktos Upscale 2 Slingbag is at the top of my list but maybe others have experience with it or other solutions that might sway me in a different direction.

What are you folks using for off body carry?

Viktos Upscale 2

https://www.viktos.com/collections/b...39260737208416
5/25/21: Request for interview
6/03/21: Interview completed and Livescan submitted w/CA and FBI completed
6/14/21: Firearms Livescan: completed
8/16/21: Request to complete firearms training
8/22/21: Gun training completed/Certs submitted
10/11/21: Call to pickup
10/13/21: CCW permit picked up
Old 01-10-2022, 8:40 AM

I rarely carry off body. But when hiking or long distance walks I do I use a tactical tailor concealed carry backpack and a maxpedition falcon 3. I tried a sling pack for it but was very limited on the weight I can carry. Sling packs are nice though. I have a vertx commuter that I use for work. I donít conceal in it but I can if I wanted too. I used to have a maxpedition sling pack that I used for hiking and that pack hurt my shoulder, then again I had about 15-20lbs in it and I couldnít change shoulders since it was made for right shoulder carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2022, 11:52 AM

I do it when appropriate. Times that I'll need a lot of range of motion and don't want stuff on my waistline: hiking, sometimes hunting, etc.

I like bags with quick-access compartments, especially hidden ones, and velcro platforms. I've been using a hard aliengear holster with velcro attachment and adjustable retention, and am considering adding active retention via thumb-button to it.

I run Maxpedition bags in the woods. Usually a Sitka Gearslinger or Versipack, sometimes their large CCW pouch on the hipbelt of a larger backpacking pack. I like the durability of the heavy material, but have to be careful not to overload sling-type bags or they get uncomfortable on longer treks.

In town I try to be more "gray man" and run a Vertx Last Call backpack that I've tricked out with an internal hidden armor panel and immediate-response tools on the concealed-but-quickly-exposable PALS panel. I have it set up so it can slide over my left arm as a shield while providing access to my emergency gear. I don't usually carry in this bag, but I like the option if I need to. It provides a place to lock up my weapon if the need presents itself and goes from looking inconspicuous to tactical-as-hell in about 5 seconds.

That means you Newsom, you greasy tyrant!

Last edited by B yond; 01-13-2022 at 12:04 PM..
Old 01-13-2022, 12:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not sure if it's really considered "off body" but we hike a lot in our local state park and I use a Sneaky Pete for that. It works well and is easy to get to.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:28 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not a big fan of off body carry, not even when my wife carries in her purse instead of on her body, but that is a discussion for another thread.

Instead I put a G42 on my permit because it is small enough to carry when wearing sport shorts or even a swim suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 01-13-2022, 10:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I picked up one of these on sale for about $12. I haven't tried it yet though. But it seems like it's made well enough. And for $12...

https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-frunk-pack-w-holster.html

I've looked at the Viktos bag before. I liked it but didn't purchase. Do be careful if you wear it on your back. Someone can likely pull the zipper and be in it in about half a second.

Fighter Pilot
Old 01-13-2022, 10:46 PM

My issue with any method of off body carry is how easy it is to set down the bag and walk away from it.
Being so likely to be separated, the bag has to be non-descript enough to not look like it contains a gun. To me, any of the maxpedition bags or sling bags scream firearm container.
Also the bag can't look out of place where it is being carried; a hiking day pack just looks out of place at the pool.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I carry with a fanny pack that has a holster mounted into it.
Old 01-17-2022, 4:36 PM

I have a leather CCW fanny pack that I found on ebay for $15 delivered. It works if I need it, but frankly I don't use it all that often. It seems like any bag like that could be targeted by bad guys, as it's likely to be used to carry wallets, phones, etc.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:45 AM

Rothco and other manufactures make CCW specific jackets and other items. No printing, multiple mags, left/right..low key.