Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 01-10-2022, 8:26 AM

Default Off Body Carry - Do you and with what?

Looking to get some kind of off body carry setup be it slingbag or fanny pack when I'm wearing clothing that isn't IWB friendly (joggers, gym shorts).

The Viktos Upscale 2 Slingbag is at the top of my list but maybe others have experience with it or other solutions that might sway me in a different direction.

What are you folks using for off body carry?

Viktos Upscale 2

https://www.viktos.com/collections/b...39260737208416
5/25/21: Request for interview
6/03/21: Interview completed and Livescan submitted w/CA and FBI completed
6/14/21: Firearms Livescan: completed
8/16/21: Request to complete firearms training
8/22/21: Gun training completed/Certs submitted
10/11/21: Call to pickup
10/13/21: CCW permit picked up
Old 01-10-2022, 8:40 AM

I rarely carry off body. But when hiking or long distance walks I do I use a tactical tailor concealed carry backpack and a maxpedition falcon 3. I tried a sling pack for it but was very limited on the weight I can carry. Sling packs are nice though. I have a vertx commuter that I use for work. I don’t conceal in it but I can if I wanted too. I used to have a maxpedition sling pack that I used for hiking and that pack hurt my shoulder, then again I had about 15-20lbs in it and I couldn’t change shoulders since it was made for right shoulder carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2022, 11:52 AM

I do it when appropriate. Times that I'll need a lot of range of motion and don't want stuff on my waistline: hiking, sometimes hunting, etc.

I like bags with quick-access compartments, especially hidden ones, and velcro platforms. I've been using a hard aliengear holster with velcro attachment and adjustable retention, and am considering adding active retention via thumb-button to it.

I run Maxpedition bags in the woods. Usually a Sitka Gearslinger or Versipack, sometimes their large CCW pouch on the hipbelt of a larger backpacking pack. I like the durability of the heavy material, but have to be careful not to overload sling-type bags or they get uncomfortable on longer treks.

In town I try to be more "gray man" and run a Vertx Last Call backpack that I've tricked out with an internal hidden armor panel and immediate-response tools on the concealed-but-quickly-exposable PALS panel. I have it set up so it can slide over my left arm as a shield while providing access to my emergency gear. I don't usually carry in this bag, but I like the option if I need to. It provides a place to lock up my weapon if the need presents itself and goes from looking inconspicuous to tactical-as-hell in about 5 seconds.

Last edited by B yond; 01-13-2022 at 12:04 PM..
Old 01-13-2022, 12:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not sure if it's really considered "off body" but we hike a lot in our local state park and I use a Sneaky Pete for that. It works well and is easy to get to.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:28 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not a big fan of off body carry, not even when my wife carries in her purse instead of on her body, but that is a discussion for another thread.

Instead I put a G42 on my permit because it is small enough to carry when wearing sport shorts or even a swim suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 01-13-2022, 10:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I picked up one of these on sale for about $12. I haven't tried it yet though. But it seems like it's made well enough. And for $12...

https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-frunk-pack-w-holster.html

I've looked at the Viktos bag before. I liked it but didn't purchase. Do be careful if you wear it on your back. Someone can likely pull the zipper and be in it in about half a second.

Fighter Pilot
Old 01-13-2022, 10:46 PM

My issue with any method of off body carry is how easy it is to set down the bag and walk away from it.
Being so likely to be separated, the bag has to be non-descript enough to not look like it contains a gun. To me, any of the maxpedition bags or sling bags scream firearm container.
Also the bag can't look out of place where it is being carried; a hiking day pack just looks out of place at the pool.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I carry with a fanny pack that has a holster mounted into it.
Old 01-17-2022, 4:36 PM

I have a leather CCW fanny pack that I found on ebay for $15 delivered. It works if I need it, but frankly I don't use it all that often. It seems like any bag like that could be targeted by bad guys, as it's likely to be used to carry wallets, phones, etc.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:45 AM

Rothco and other manufactures make CCW specific jackets and other items. No printing, multiple mags, left/right..low key.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B yond View Post
I do it when appropriate. Times that I'll need a lot of range of motion and don't want stuff on my waistline: hiking, sometimes hunting, etc.

I like bags with quick-access compartments, especially hidden ones, and velcro platforms. I've been using a hard aliengear holster with velcro attachment and adjustable retention, and am considering adding active retention via thumb-button to it.

I run Maxpedition bags in the woods. Usually a Sitka Gearslinger or Versipack, sometimes their large CCW pouch on the hipbelt of a larger backpacking pack. I like the durability of the heavy material, but have to be careful not to overload sling-type bags or they get uncomfortable on longer treks.

In town I try to be more "gray man" and run a Vertx Last Call backpack that I've tricked out with an internal hidden armor panel and immediate-response tools on the concealed-but-quickly-exposable PALS panel. I have it set up so it can slide over my left arm as a shield while providing access to my emergency gear. I don't usually carry in this bag, but I like the option if I need to. It provides a place to lock up my weapon if the need presents itself and goes from looking inconspicuous to tactical-as-hell in about 5 seconds.

Use a clock, watch or your phone as a timer. Start at zero and wait until 5.

Between zero and five what could happen?

The 5 seconds doesn't start right away either, it starts from the time you see something, then realize it's a threat that requires a lethal force response and then you begin to respond. The BG already has the advantage since they are not the one waiting for you, they are targeting you. Add another second. Now it's 6 seconds.

One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, one thousand four, one thousand five, one thousand six.

Read that and it's pretty close. Now you have gun in hand. Do you think you'll make it?

I am not saying off body carry is bad, been there done that - fanny pack in front, laced through belt loops, wire in the strap so it couldn't be pulled off or cut off quickly. 2 seconds from action to gun in hand and still a disadvantage. Go to something draped over the should, backpack style and for hiking (as you said), sure. For anything else? Questionable at best.

I'd highly recommend if you do something like that then the practice to access is far more important and holster or string carry. How often do you practice access to off body carry because just trying it out isn't close to enough.
You can have it one way or the other; you can have it both ways; you can have it every way but not always.

Last edited by SharedShots; 01-27-2022 at 11:59 AM..
Old 01-27-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post
Use a clock, watch or your phone as a timer. Start at zero and wait until 5.

Between zero and five what could happen?

The 5 seconds doesn't start right away either, it starts from the time you see something, then realize it's a threat that requires a lethal force response and then you begin to respond. The BG already has the advantage since they are not the one waiting for you, they are targeting you. Add another second. Now it's 6 seconds.

One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, one thousand four, one thousand five, one thousand six.

Read that and it's pretty close. Now you have gun in hand. Do you think you'll make it?

I am not saying off body carry is bad, been there done that - fanny pack in front, laced through belt loops, wire in the strap so it couldn't be pulled off or cut off quickly. 2 seconds from action to gun in hand and still a disadvantage. Go to something draped over the should, backpack style and for hiking (as you said), sure. For anything else? Questionable at best.

I'd highly recommend if you do something like that then the practice to access is far more important and holster or string carry. How often do you practice access to off body carry because just trying it out isn't close to enough.
Yeah... off body is not my preferred method of carry in-town. I usually carry IWB. It's good to have options though, and several times I've needed to go into a non-permissive environment and a lockable bag has saved the day.

Besides, a gun that takes a little longer to get to could be a lot better than no gun at all, depending on the situation. If it came down to it I'd off-body carry before not carrying at all. My in-town bag has a IIIA panel and medical in it too, which is nice.

You're absolutely right about practice. No matter what your gear is, it's best to be very familiar with it.
Old 01-29-2022, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B yond View Post
Yeah... off body is not my preferred method of carry in-town. I usually carry IWB. It's good to have options though, and several times I've needed to go into a non-permissive environment and a lockable bag has saved the day.

Besides, a gun that takes a little longer to get to could be a lot better than no gun at all, depending on the situation. If it came down to it I'd off-body carry before not carrying at all. My in-town bag has a IIIA panel and medical in it too, which is nice.

You're absolutely right about practice. No matter what your gear is, it's best to be very familiar with it.
Off body is hard to carry and get to it quickly, but again truthful quote, “no matter what your gear is, its best to be very familiar with it”
Old 01-30-2022, 5:34 AM

I use that Viktos bag almost everyday. Works very well on the chest if you drive a lot which I do. I've also modified the draw zipper pull to be a better handle. It's really nice not having to dress around the gun. The downside is bag management in restaurants.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2022, 8:07 AM

I usually use a sling bag to carry a larger second gun when traveling. I have a Maxpedition Remora for something small and I recently got a Dynamis Alliance LVL Comp bag that is large enough for a normal size laptop or armor if you want.

I like that this bag is meant to sling with your off hand and it has removeable straps that also allow for a backpack carry if needed. I use a BlackArch Rev-Con holster with their Velcro adapter and the same for their mag carrier.

FAS1 SAFE
Old 02-01-2022, 10:27 PM

I mainly use my Viktos sling bag as an ifak I can haul around along with my wallet, multi tool, two extra mags, etc. I only use it to carry when driving long distances or on hikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2022, 4:14 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimster716 View Post
Off Body Carry - Do you and with what?

Looking to get some kind of off body carry setup be it slingbag or fanny pack when I'm wearing clothing that isn't IWB friendly (joggers, gym shorts).

What are you folks using for off body carry?
Because of employer policies prohibiting unauthorized personnel from carrying a firearm while working, I am allowed to carry to/from work, but not carry while working. I am also allowed to secure my firearm in my vehicle or in my locked desk in my office.

Because of this, I often employ off body carry, due to the ease of carrying and securing it due to my work requirements.

I typically use a Maxpedition Jumbo Verispack.
^Contains my carry pistol, extra ammo, first aid/trauma kit, and snacks.

During the 2019-2020 periods of unrest (protest/rioting/looting) where I worked/travel through, I have also utilized a 5.11 Select Carry Pack for off-body carry.
^For my carry pistol, extra ammo, first aid/trauma kit, and Ruger PC Carbine.

For hiking/camping, I have used the Hill People Gear Original Kit Bag full sized for off-body carry.
^For my carry pistol, extra ammo, first aid/trauma kit, map, compass, and snacks.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 02-04-2022 at 4:17 PM..