Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 01-12-2022, 7:04 PM
Veteran Member

Default nightstand handgun safe

If you use a rapid access handgun safe, what are you using? How do you like it?
thanks
Old 01-12-2022, 7:10 PM

Iím using the awesafe fingerprint ID and biometric lock
Easy and quick access

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2022, 7:15 PM

Simplex lock safes... no need to worry about batteries. Just flat out works for me.
Old 01-12-2022, 7:16 PM

Few safes allow fast enough access to make a difference if someone get into the room you are in and that includes all the 1 second access biometric jobs.

There is a thread about smartgun technology. I suggest you read that for the pros and cons about that idea. Bring that over into the biometric gun safe world. If you wouldn't trust biometric tech for your gun isn't putting it into a biometric access safe that could require instant access the very same thing?

It is.

For a keyed safe, would you leave the key in the lock? Then why the safe? If the key is elsewhere then first you are going to hide it well enough so that someone else can't get to it easily like kids, visitors etc? If so then how quickly can you get to that key, then open the safe and grab the gun?

For push button mechanicals. Its the middle of the night and you wake up, the lights are out, no power. Now you grab a flashlight with one hand and fumble the safe with the other either looking for a key, punching in some code or hoping the biometrics work.

Think this through and think the worst-case scenario for access because if that time ever comes it's going to be just that.
You can have it one way or the other; you can have it both ways; you can have it every way but not always.

Last edited by SharedShots; 01-12-2022 at 7:22 PM..
Old 01-12-2022, 7:27 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt View Post
If you use a rapid access handgun safe, what are you using? How do you like it?
thanks

For safekeeping - I use a traditional non-electronic safe.

For quick/rapid access - I use StopBox. No batteries, no electronics, no biometrics, etc. which I bet I can get to my gun faster than any electronics or combination lock…

_
Old 01-12-2022, 7:33 PM

I have a Dalmbox Gun Safe. Not the most expensive ($74.00) on Amazon and it works just fine. It is bolted down from the inside so it's not going anywhere.
Old 01-12-2022, 7:36 PM

The fastest way to get to your gun is to grab it. If the BG in your home is standing over you your only hope is grabbing and defending - period.

The BG who gets into your home at night, in the middle of night isn't coming with only their bare hands.

If your concern is situations other than the worst case then almost any safe will work because it's not going to be an instant need thing.

There is no safe no matter who makes it and no matter how its made that will give you instant access to your gun - period. Yes, there are kids in the home to consider, maybe others living with you to consider. There are plenty of ways to deal with that to keep your instant access to a gun and maintain safety from accidents or other mishaps. It takes some effort, involvement on their part and reinforcement of those practices. If you are unwilling to do that then just why have the gun if you can't get to it immediately?

We aren't talking about storage here, we are talking about the gun at your nightstand because you want to be prepared to immediately address a deadly threat. Right?

There are people who will spend thousands of dollars training themselves, buy all kinds of fancy gear, only the best ammo and never take the time to make sure those who are in the home with them know anything more than some "don't touch the gun" admonishment.

You use a safe to hold things you want to preserve and restrict others from accessing. Time isn't an issue. When time is an issue a safe is not an answer.
You can have it one way or the other; you can have it both ways; you can have it every way but not always.

Last edited by SharedShots; 01-12-2022 at 7:41 PM..
Old 01-12-2022, 7:40 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Simplex locks only for me. I have V-line and Amsec.

Fort Knox and FAS1 also make nice boxes with simplex locks for nightstands.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-13-2022 at 10:37 PM..
Old 01-12-2022, 7:43 PM

I have a Fort Knox

You get used to the lock, I can open it in 1 second in the light or dark

Old 01-12-2022, 7:50 PM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Gen1 Simplex Shotlock.
Old 01-12-2022, 9:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've heard great things about the rhino metals nightstand gun safe, you can set it right next to your bedside and even put a lamp at the stop, looks neat IMO

Old 01-13-2022, 7:22 AM

The Simplex lock has some features that make it hard to beat for a quick access handgun safe as some are mentioned already.

As far as speed goes, you can set a relatively complex combination for security, especially if you keep a home defense gun in it all the time and then when you go to sleep you can pre-punch all or part of the combination. An example would be you just need to push the last number and turn the knob. In the morning you just turn the knob counterclockwise to clear the button pushes and reset the lock. Personally, I don't find this necessary and with just a little practice they are easily opened in just two to three seconds consistently just by feel in the dark.

The safes that use this lock are usually made of heaver steel and are more secure when bolted down. These locks have a 60 year track record that's hard to beat for reliable and durable service. You will probably be able to hand it down to your kids too.

FAS1 SAFE

Last edited by FAS1; 01-13-2022 at 8:05 AM..
Old 01-13-2022, 7:51 AM

I like Vaultek handgun safes. Sturdy, quick access.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:59 AM

Fas1 for me. I need to place an order for a compact model one of these days.
Old 01-13-2022, 6:41 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the response. County I live in just made a new law requiring all guns must be stored in a safe.
Old 01-13-2022, 8:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak4seven View Post
Simplex lock safes... no need to worry about batteries. Just flat out works for me.
+1. Old school in this application is better than new tech. Batteries and electronics fail. And thumbprint readers (also battery operated) at this price point aren't reliable enough IMO. Go with a mechanical simplex lock. YMMV.

Fighter Pilot
Old 01-13-2022, 10:04 PM

I’m interested in this one

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021895195
Old 01-14-2022, 8:06 AM

I like my Verifi safe. https://verifisafe.com/products/biom...rt-safe-s5000/

I got at Costco for $250 a while back. The biometric is the best Iíve seen. Iíve never had a single finger recognition problem and itís quite zippy. One thing I like about it is the little screen gives battery percent every time you close it- and they last a long time. I put a magnet on the inside of the door and my MP Shield swings out with the door. Plenty of room inside for my needs. Iíd categorize it somewhere between a lockbox and a ďsafe.Ē

Old 01-14-2022, 8:14 AM

I have a nightstand password-lockable box for 30bucks. It’s mostly for my kid can’t access it.
Old 01-14-2022, 8:18 AM

Fort Knox Pistol Box
Old 01-14-2022, 8:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the response. County I live in just made a new law requiring all guns must be stored in a safe.
I'm not too sure how they plan to enforce these stupid ordinances. Also keep in mind that if you live in an incorporated city, county ordinances aren't enforceable.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:07 AM

Old 01-14-2022, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
I'm not too sure how they plan to enforce these stupid ordinances. Also keep in mind that if you live in an incorporated city, county ordinances aren't enforceable.
Read those laws or ordinances carefully because you'll find it unusual to require a gun be stored within a safe at all times. There are always exemptions for in use or you couldn't possibly remove the gun from the safe for any reason.

Keeping a gun outside the safe for protection usually qualifies. Not really reading and understanding the laws and ordinances comprises the reasons for a majority of the related threads on forums including this one.
Old 01-14-2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post
Read those laws or ordinances carefully because you'll find it unusual to require a gun be stored within a safe at all times. There are always exemptions for in use or you couldn't possibly remove the gun from the safe for any reason.

Keeping a gun outside the safe for protection usually qualifies. Not really reading and understanding the laws and ordinances comprises the reasons for a majority of the related threads on forums including this one.

My city requires all ďfirearmsĒ be in a safe, carried on person, or secured with a ca doj approved lock device (which include trigger locks and a whole host of lock boxes.) It specifically calls out that soft sided bags donít qualify. The doj is a long list, but it was problematic for my shotgun to keep as home defense because I only had handgun size lockboxes/safe. I ended up getting a Hornady shotgun Rapid safe and spending more than I wanted to, but it satisfies the law and allows quick deployment.
Old 01-14-2022, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I like Vaultek handgun safes. Sturdy, quick access.
I have a small Vaultek, but Iím only planning to use it in the car for long trips. I can cable it to the body of my car and with other deterrents, hopefully it will prevent my stuff from being stolen.

In my bedroom, I have a regular safe, but my stuff is never locked up when I am home. Since there are no kids around, I donít have to be as careful as some.
Old 01-14-2022, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
+1. Old school in this application is better than new tech. Batteries and electronics fail. And thumbprint readers (also battery operated) at this price point aren't reliable enough IMO. Go with a mechanical simplex lock. YMMV.
My home safe is also combo as I donít trust the battery lock safes. The combo dials have been reliable for hundreds of years. The digital locks (especially the cheap ones) tend to fail.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If that is the only reason you are getting the safe, then don't bother. The drawer is fine...

If it is because you have kids that will get into it then a safe is wise.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Been using a Vaultek VE10 for over a year now. It works great and I can use it to travel as well if needed.

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)